PDA

View Full Version : Dog help

Excessive Force
02-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Anyone know of electronic methods of repelling flies? Every summer my dog gets bloody ears from flies. Once they break the skin, its on!they dont let up. Ive tried everything that I have found. Im thinking electronic but havent found anything. Help!!

Mrs. Psycho Squid
02-02-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't know of any electronic repellents. However, once they break the skin you can buy this stuff that they make for horses for this very reason. It is like a cream that heals the skin and repells the flies. I forget what it is called (yeah I'm alot of help, I know!). Anyway, I suggest you go to a feed store and talk to someone. You can get the cream stuff there and they probably have suggestions on controlling the flies as well.

speedneeder
02-02-2005, 10:14 AM
The cream your talking about is called Flys Off. It also comes in an aeresol and pump spray. I've had the same problem and havent found the product incredibly great but paired it with some fly traps you can buy at home depot and it totally cut back on the flys on the dogs. The traps are available in a throw away plastic bag you activate with water and dispose of when its time for a new one. They're about $5. The only drawback is that the bags give out a pretty foul odor after about a week.

Scream
02-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Try this.
My brother went to visit a sales rep of ours in Texas a couple years ago. The rep took him to a steak house located in a cow pasture. Right in the middle, with cows walking all around. You know there's gotta be millions of flies there, right. Not a one to be seen. They even ate outside and had a great meal without the flies. Here's what the restaruant did. They took clear plastic bags (no color) and filled them with water (the tap variety) and hung them from the eaves of the porch about 8' apart.
Thats it, that's all they did. For some reason the flies cant stand this decoration and steer clear of the area. Weird and I have no idea how it works, but it does.
Worth a shot at any rate.
Scream

dimarcobros
02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Try this.
My brother went to visit a sales rep of ours in Texas a couple years ago. The rep took him to a steak house located in a cow pasture. Right in the middle, with cows walking all around. You know there's gotta be millions of flies there, right. Not a one to be seen. They even ate outside and had a great meal without the flies. Here's what the restaruant did. They took clear plastic bags (no color) and filled them with water (the tap variety) and hung them from the eaves of the porch about 8' apart.
Thats it, that's all they did. For some reason the flies cant stand this decoration and steer clear of the area. Weird and I have no idea how it works, but it does.
Scream
That might have rid the flies but what about the smell? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Pretty creaitve idea though.
DMB

Ducatista
02-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Not electronic, but this is what horse people and many kennels use....BIG STINKY (http://www.bigstinkyflytrap.com/)

BowTie Rick
02-02-2005, 11:24 AM
We have 7 horses and we use these Fly Predators (https://orders.spalding-labs.com/whatAreTheFlyPredators.php) No major problems to speak of but its best if you get your neighbors to use them too. This is all assuming you live in a rural area where flies could be brreding (manure).

My Man's Sportin' Wood
02-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I've never heard of anything electrical, but we have 3 dogs, pigs and horses and I'll tell you what we do for the dogs.
At a feed store (not Boot Barn or PetSmart--a real one) they sell aerosol spray that shoots a spray of pesticide every 15 minutes. Put that up in the area they usually lay, under the eaves or other place up high. Then get the "Flys Off" salve for the ears and the "Flys Off" aerosol for the rest of their body (but be careful of the eyes and nose when you spray it). You usually have to put the salve on just while there is an open wound. I think it's about $5 for a tub that will last you a good while. Good luck.

Freak
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
We got some repellant from the vet. It's a gel, I put it on the dogs ears once a day. It works well.

oldbuck40
02-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Try this.
ScreamScream is right on the money with the zip-locs and the water,,we put ours out at the first sign of fly's and it does work!!! a rancher friend of mine explained that it has something to do with the way a fly see's the water in the bag,kinda drives them crazy and they leave,,try it i dont think you will be dissapointed.

Phat Matt
02-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Try this.
Scream
I think you are thinking of dead coyotes hung on a fence. :D

Slick
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
My Dad uses plastic bags filled with water in his stalls. The horses have darn near a football field to piss in and they insist on doing it in the stalls where they're fed. Apparently it does work.
Maybe someone on here would know but I remember using a pink cream on the horses when they had a cut. It heals and keeps the flys off. We would also put it around their eyes like war paint. That worked too.
I know the Avon Product "Skin so soft" works great on skeeters and flys. It nourishes their coat and they smell good. Alot of people use it on their show horses out here.

Excessive Force
02-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Ive heard of the water bag trick but thought it wouldnt work, guess ill have to try it!
So far ive tried:
1)Bronco fly spray repellent-Last only a couple of hrs.
2)flys X spray repellent-Lasts a few minutes
3)flysoff cream-My retriever licks it off my Rottwielers ears w cayenne pepper
4)SWAT cream-retriever licks this stuff off too, even put a dash of cayenne pepper, still licks it off.
5)Bag balm
6)fly trap with water from home depot-they still keep coming
Maybe some morphine for the retriever?! :devil:

NuckinFutz
02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Another good and much cheaper repellant for flys on dogs and horses is 50% Lysol and 50% water in a spray bottle. My experience is that it works as good or better than any store bought fly spray for horses. I've used it on my dogs and had good luck as well. The other benefit is everything smells nice and clean!

1Shockwaveguy
02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Talk to your vet. One of the liquid flee repelents work on flies too. Like advantage is one manufacture, not sure if that is the one that works on flies though

shadow
02-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Talk to your vet. One of the liquid flee repelents work on flies too. Like advantage is one manufacture, not sure if that is the one that works on flies though
I've also heard that if you mix garlic in the dogs food every feeding that this will keep the fleas off,I wouldn't doubt it if it would also help with flys.Just a thought.

Debbolas
02-02-2005, 07:05 PM
too bad he isn't a horse, you could put a "fly" halter on him :D
"Fly's off" is what we used for our horse.........

cola
02-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Anyone know of electronic methods of repelling flies? Every summer my dog gets bloody ears from flies. Once they break the skin, its on!they dont let up. Ive tried everything that I have found. Im thinking electronic but havent found anything. Help!!
Damn, Yucaipa flies make it all the way down Redlands. Hate when that happens.
:cool:

sanger rat
02-02-2005, 07:45 PM
I know the Avon Product "Skin so soft" works great on skeeters and flys. It nourishes their coat and they smell good. Alot of people use it on their show horses out here.
This works for my mutt.

C-2
02-02-2005, 09:44 PM
IMO
You most likely are dealing with a case of Sarcoptic mange/ear mites in your dog's ears. The dog scratches his ears due to the mange, not the flies. The scratching leads to blood, which the flies are arrtacted too.
Skin conditions in dogs can be expensive to diagnose and treat. We have a Basenji that, every summer, would also have problems with his ears - and eventually it spread to his arse. Two different vets said this, said that, nobody had any good answers or treatments (other than to buy their meds which did not help).
Google was the vet which evetually led me to an answer ~ Sarcoptic mange, which can easibly be ridded with a dip known as Paramite. DON'T USE ANY OTHER DIP THAN PARAMITE - they won't work. Neither will any saaves or creams. Paramite can be found in some feed stores, several vet supply stores might also carry it. One vet supply store said the medicine had been banned - but I can still find it at the feed store I go to.
This stuff works wonders on the pooches. I dip them once in Spring and once in the middle of summer and it seems to quash the reappearance of the mites which cause mange.
You will smell like the crap for several days no matter what you do - son don't plan on doing dinner the same evening.
Do some research on Sarcoptic mange and it will all come together.
Good luck. :)

Excessive Force
02-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the ideas fellas, ill look up the mange thing

vdrivenman
02-03-2005, 02:28 PM
we had a rott kennel at one time with 7 dogs total,also 2 horses.
we put brewers yeast in the dogs food. it causes the body to emmit and odor that repels flies and fleas.
our rotts also get yeast infections in their years due to moisture and the ear never really drying out.you just have to wash them with a cleaner you get from the vet.
we used the h2o bag trick and it does work. we use it when camping also.
i do not know the reasoning behind it, but it works.

Excessive Force
02-03-2005, 03:36 PM
we put brewers yeast in the dogs food. it causes the body to emmit and odor that repels flies and fleas.
Does it repel humans too? how bad is the stink