PDA

View Full Version : OFF SUBJECT - In Wall Speakers for Home

Essex502
02-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Even though this is off the boat topic....
Does anyone have experience with In Wall speakers for home use? I am looking for a pair to use as the surrounds in our new Havasu house. I don't want to spend over $500/pair. They will be driven by a 125 watt/channel Yamaha A/V receiver for the time being. Flush mount.
Looking for those of you with some experience here...some manufacturers that have been recommended include: Boston Acoustics, Polk and Jamo. From what I've read so far the Jamo SU631K4 sound like a good fit but I am open to suggestions and comments.

ROZ
02-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Questions:
1. Are you in a framing stage, or are you retrofitting? Reason is that Polk offers inwall enclosures for some of their speaker lines to fit into...
2. What series Boston Acoustics and Polk are you looking at?

Essex502
02-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Thanks Roz for posting...
The house is complete and the wiring is in the wall in the locations where I want to place the speakers. The only thing left is the speaker selection and the height as the speakerwire runs from floor to ceiling.
I haven't looked at specific product lines of either of those two - just some quick looks on their websites.
What I'm looking to do is stay somewhere in the end of the price range but get a good quality speaker for the future when I upgrade the audio system with what I have in our regular (non-vacation) house. Am I being nebulous enough :D?
What do you think of the Jamo's in general and maybe the specific model I mentioned?

ROZ
02-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Am I being nebulous enough :D?
Atleast you have brands and a model number... :D
What do you think of the Jamo's in general and maybe the specific model I mentioned?
I like the dipole design, but I don't think it matches up with your 125watts per channel...
Boston's VRI speakers recommend power to 125.... Some of Polk's TC and LC series inwal speakers recommend up to 200 watts...

Essex502
02-04-2005, 08:16 AM
The Boston Acoustic's in-wall VRi series looks to be a little outside the price range with $400/ea on the lowest priced model. I'd like to get out the door less than $500/pr.
The Polk Tc65i and the Rc85i both seem to be within the right price range and power requirements.
The 125 watts is the max rated output from the current Yamaha receiver I will be using.
Between the above listed models which would you think would be the better solution?
Thanks for the help.

ROZ
02-04-2005, 11:01 AM
The Boston Acoustic's in-wall VRi series looks to be a little outside the price range with $400/ea on the lowest priced model. I'd like to get out the door less than $500/pr.
The Polk Tc65i and the Rc85i both seem to be within the right price range and power requirements.
The 125 watts is the max rated output from the current Yamaha receiver I will be using.
Between the above listed models which would you think would be the better solution?
Thanks for the help.
I have the inceiling version of the TC65i for my front left/right, rear left/center/right.... They sound pretty darn good..... I use the CSI3 as my center channel... They sound good playing music as well... Too bad you don't have a denon, they sound great cranking 6 channel stereo :cool:

Essex502
02-04-2005, 11:51 AM
I have Carver in my game room as my Receiver with Denon as a CD player but in the Media room it's all Yamaha.
From your comments it seems - if I read between the lines - that you would lean towards the Polks over the BA's?

ROZ
02-04-2005, 01:01 PM
While I am very pleased with the performance I've received from my Polk setup, I do prefer Boston Acoustic....I got a killer deal when we picked up the polk line,so I decided to give them a try.

ULTRA21XS
02-07-2005, 02:56 PM
I have the in-wall polk Rc65i... and i mounted them in my ceiling and i love them sound great.....

RiverDave
02-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Not to throw another option in the mix, but I used to do a lot of prototyping for these guys.. The speakers that I've heard of theirs were pretty unreal. :)
www.sonance.com
RD

TrojanDan
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Too bad you don't have a denon, they sound great cranking 6 channel stereo :cool:
Funny you mention that. Taxman was very good to me this year. I'll be needing the AVR3808 or whatever the current model number is plus a Niles speaker selector box. Know anyone who can hook me up? :D
Oh yeah, what happened to that "off" brand I think you mentioned to me before that was custom made by some dude here in CA and was made in China to his specs? I think you mentioned that Wes picked up some. If they were a bang for the buck, I'm thinking of getting some of those too for the ceiling. :cool:

ROZ
02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Funny you mention that. Taxman was very good to me this year. I'll be needing the AVR3808 or whatever the current model number is plus a Niles speaker selector box. Know anyone who can hook me up? :D
Oh yeah, what happened to that "off" brand I think you mentioned to me before that was custom made by some dude here in CA and was made in China to his specs? I think you mentioned that Wes picked up some. If they were a bang for the buck, I'm thinking of getting some of those too for the ceiling. :cool:
Yup, thems the ones I'm using in the remainder of the house ;) :D
Wazzup mofo!?! :D

essexjet
02-08-2005, 01:48 AM
I just say this on RD link an I think I have to get it. Just plug my ipod into the wall for my home system, Damn!! Does anyone here have this in there home?
Here is the link if anyone is interested, its called the iport....iport (http://www.sonance.com)
http://www.sonance.com/image_data/pictures/1106353091.jpg

Essex502
02-08-2005, 08:46 AM
I have the in-wall polk Rc65i... and i mounted them in my ceiling and i love them sound great.....
What kind of power are you driving them with? I am limited to 125 watts to the surrounds until I upgrade the receiver.

ROZ
02-08-2005, 09:43 AM
What kind of power are you driving them with? I am limited to 125 watts to the surrounds until I upgrade the receiver.
What amp(s) are you considering?

TrojanDan
02-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Yup, thems the ones I'm using in the remainder of the house ;) :D
Wazzup mofo!?! :D
Sweeeeet, hook me up too! Off to the Miami Boat Show in a week for a couple of days then the Bahamas for a week to do some Scuba and Muff Diving. :D
Got your room for OP6 yet? Might have a comfy couch for you down in Parker at my buddy's trailer if your flying your usual stag. :D. I don't think I'll be able to make it up to Havasu each night so I'll probably stay in Parker. :cool:

Essex502
02-14-2005, 11:05 AM
What amp(s) are you considering?
Initially it will be the Yamaha reciever I have here in Valencia that'll be moved to Havasu. I don't remember the exact model number as it is a couple of year's old now.