PDA

View Full Version : Wear ring inspection

Unchained
02-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Has anyone else had this happen?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220Wear_ring_inspection.jpg
Evidently the bowl pressure forced the nylon insulator from around the wear ring forward and it has started to extrude it out the front.
It looked good in the spring when I inspected it last. When I installed it four years ago I put the wear ring in the freezer before installing it and it still went in pretty snug.
Has anyone glued the insulator to the wear ring before installing it ?

Jake W2
02-02-2005, 07:50 PM
UnChained when I rebuilt my pump I cut off the lip on the insulator and ran the liped SS warering aginst the warering housing.It will also help close up the front clearance a bit.This was a pump builders advise to me.
Jake

Heatseeker
02-02-2005, 08:07 PM
UnChained when I rebuilt my pump I cut off the lip on the insulator and ran the liped SS warering aginst the warering housing.It will also help close up the front clearance a bit.This was a pump builders advise to me.
Jake
Jake, wouldn't that move the wear ring further from the impeller?
Mark, I've never seen that before. Have you considered the Ultimate wear ring? Being that it's one piece, that problem shouldn't occur.

Jake W2
02-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Why Yes it would John I have an inducer and when MPD machined the shaft they machined it a further forward just for that reason.The best part was I said ,hay I have an inducer and I need you to machine the shaft for it and then he said how about I do it this way so you can clean up the front clearances at the same time.
Did I mention MPD does really nice work.And has years of exp to help with the littel detailes.
Jake

Duane HTP
02-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Unchained, Looks like the wear ring has turned in the housing??

Cs19
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
I was thinking the same, looks like you spun the wear ring out again. If thats the case,its probably time to do something about that since it has happened twice now.

Unchained
02-03-2005, 05:07 AM
The wear ring can't spin because it has a bolt in one side of it threaded through the suction housing.
The wear ring is one piece bronze material. I got it from John Cost when I got the stainless impeller about 5 years ago.
The AA impeller and the wear ring both look about like new still.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220stainless_impeller.jpg
Cutting off the front shoulder of the insulator and moving the wear ring forward against the step of the housing may be a solution.
However that would require machining the spacer that goes between the inducer and the impeller shorter and that would also increase the clearance behind the impeller where it fits into the bowl.
Clarification, I put the wear ring in the freezer before installing it.
That's what I meant by "froze it"

Jake W2
02-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Thats true Stuffer.
Jake

kojac
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Unchained,
While testing a friend's edge stealth just after he got it with a new blown 540 chevy I noticed that his water temperature started to rise quickly and went to 190 degrees. He was driving the boat and I was watching the tach and other gauges while doing top speed runs. I commented that the temp was starting to rise above normal boating conditions and suggested we stop and pull the boat and find the reason for the increase in temperature. He didn't want to stop and said that was normal for his application.
Well when the water temp quickly went to 212 degrees I told him that he steam and water could not be coming to the motor. He kind of argued with me about it and wanted to do one more test run for the drag racing scheduled for later that afternoon. We pulled the boat and started inspection and found the insulator had come loose and blocked the water supply line from the pump.
It destroyed his new pump and new blown motor. $30,000.00 +
I have seen a few pumps with the insulator popped out and usually they just spin the wear ring. I hate thought of having an insulator in there knowing the damage they can cause when they disintergrate.
Kojac

drysumpjet
02-03-2005, 05:57 AM
Has anyone glued the insulator to the wear ring before installing it ?[/QUOTE]
I don't know if it the right thing to do but I have used a low strength loctite. I have had better luck in not damaging the insulator during wear ring installation as the loctite seems to work as a lubricant.
Not being a chemical engineer, I question if any chemicals used in loctite have ill effects on the insulator. Knowing that loctite is intended to bond metal to metal, for what it's worth, attempts to remove a "loctited" wear ring with typical methods are nearly impossible which indicates it seems bond with the insulator, or it at least it fills any pores in the suctionpiece resulting in a better fit.
As far as removing a worn out wear ring, heating the wear ring slightly with a propane torch releases the loctite's bond and/or melts the insulator whereas the wear ring can then be easily removed.
What do you all think?

HammerDown
02-03-2005, 07:26 AM
With all the force it take's to get the wear ring in w/insulator...how the heck could it spin? Unless there was contact between the Impeller and wear ring, it gauled, grabed then spun.

Jet Hydro
02-03-2005, 08:20 AM
I`d just put an ULTIMATE WEAR RING in that thing and forget about it. I just don't like the idea of the nylon insulator and I hate the idea of metal on metal when the impeller comes in contact with the ware ring for what ever reason.

Unchained
02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
I took out the wear ring and it doesn't show any signs of contacting the impeller OD. It looks like 1/3 of the insulator was gone.
It does look like after the insulator pushed through, the wear ring was allowed to tip back slightly and touch the leading edge of the step in the impeller which prevented it from going any farther.
I think I caught it just in time and the impeller and wear ring both look good as new so I just have to reassemble with something better.
The bowl pressure must have been out of sight to push that insulator out like that without spinning the wear ring.
At the end of the year I did have some irregular water temps.
I'm going to pull the water lines off and see if there's a piece in there like Kojak mentioned.

Heatseeker
02-03-2005, 09:55 AM
...MPD machined the shaft they machined it a further forward just for that reason.
Jake
That was going to be my next question! :shift:
Better watch the cheerleading..."you know who" will come on here and make a pissin' contest out of it :eek: !
Mark, you haven't commented on the Ultimate Wear Ring. Have you considered one? I'm just curious what you thought about them.

Unchained
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Mark, you haven't commented on the Ultimate Wear Ring. Have you considered one? I'm just curious what you thought about them.
I talked to Duane and I'm checking into one.
A one piece setup makes more sense to me.
I never expected that the insulator would actually push out from the setup I had.
They always seem to be such a tight fit.

1tricky1
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I ran one for the first time this past summer. It was my first experience installing an impeller and it worked out great for me! :)
For those who may not be aware, once you go with the ultimate wear ring the impeller must be machined to match the wear ring. Duane at HTP did mine.

Jake W2
02-03-2005, 06:23 PM
John I an just happy with what I paid them to do nothing wrong with that. :D
Jake

MarKist
02-03-2005, 06:45 PM
fellas I'll tell ya the ultimate wear ring worked great for me ! :smile: popped it in, and it was on, no problems and was my first pump rebuild!! :wink:
Markist

Jake W2
02-03-2005, 06:50 PM
This is nothing aginst the Ultmate ware ring.
There is nothing hard about putting in a regular Berkeley warering.
Jake

Jet Hydro
02-03-2005, 08:03 PM
This is nothing aginst the Ultmate ware ring.
There is nothing hard about putting in a regular Berkeley warering.
Jake
But why waste your time?????
The Ultimate ware ring is the only way to go!!!
Easy to install, ((((( I know Duane hates it when I say this but))))) You can set the Ultimate ware ring tighter and have a better pump if you know what your doing.....
Disclaimer on tighter "NOT FOR EVERYONE"....."Only if you know what your doing!!!!"

Heatseeker
02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Jake, I was kidding! I think the gurus are great. They do good work and they are always willing to help out the DIY guys. Nothing wrong with that!
My Ultimate Wear Ring has been fine. I took the bowl off last season after a 1/2 season's use and it still looked brand new.

Jet Hydro
02-03-2005, 08:11 PM
I`v said it before and I`d say it again.... if they weren't the way to go and if there was something better Duane would not let me run one in my race boat knowing his name is on the side!!!!
I run them in my lake boat cause if it`s good enough for the race boat then it`s gota be good enough for the lake boat! :D

Jake W2
02-04-2005, 04:08 PM
I knew you were kidding John.
Steve I have nothing aginst the UWR like I told you befor IM SOLD but still going to run SS Berk lipped warering.
To say using a Berk warering is a waste of time :sleeping: Well ,Come on Dude.
I am not Chet I have bought alot of the stuff Duane sells ,Jetaway,Prime a jet,one of his rebuild kits(but sold the UWR with a C cut Aggressor imp to CMB),6 pillow blocks,Aggressor Droop that has been sold,cable through,speed coat,A used G bowl that has been sold.Aggressor imp nut.DPS new style pump seal.There is probely more just cant remember.I would like to pick up Rogers old Stealth but just don't have the jack for it.
Jake

BLEWBAYOU1
02-04-2005, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Unchained]The wear ring can't spin because it has a bolt in one side of it threaded through the suction housing.
The wear ring is one piece bronze material. I got it from John Cost when I got the stainless impeller about 5 years ago.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220stainless_impeller.jpg
I guess it's just the picture that makes your impeller look Bronze. But you said stainless, and I Know you know the differance. :cool:
Brian