PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 97-2002 Ford Expedition.

dmontzsta
02-03-2005, 11:12 AM
I must have the 5.4 liter and would prefer 4x4 but not a must. No funky colors.

Jet City
02-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Hey Dmonsta, I don't have a leed on your truck, but here is a cool forum I just found for the Expy's.
http://www.expeditionforum.com/forums/index.php?
I just bought a 2000 Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4L last Wednesday to pull my flattie, the '99 and up models have 30 more HP than the earlier ones (260HP). I think these are a nice way to get the boat to the lake. Goodluck with your search, I found a nice deal from a private party out of the traderonline.com deal, there are plenty to choose from, don't get impatient.

steelcomp
02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Montzsta...you are definately making the right choice. I have a 97 XLT 5.4 with ALL the options, and it just turned 150K. Original water pump, original alt, everything except brakes and battery are ORIG! This is by far the greatest all round vehicle I've ever owned. It's a 4X, 3" lift w/35" Nitto Terra Grapplers and 4:10 gears, Magnaflow, K&N and Computer upgrade. I take it to the desert gold mining, to the mountains snow skiing, to da lake wit da boat, and I swear, the thing will go anywhere, do anything, and is awsome on the road. I drive it 150+ miles every day. Never a single problem.

Jet City
02-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Here is something else I thought I'd mention, my last truck was a '97 F150 Lariat with the 4.6L, no ball of fire but always got the job done, my '97 however would ping terribly on regular fuel, it ran fine on mid-grade, I think the programming on the '97's was buggier (fuel/timing), there were a few changes after the '97 model year that would also lead me to choose '98 or newer, unless the deal was just too damn good. Other than the fuel issue my '97 was an outstanding truck, it had 104K (trouble free) miles when my wife got hit, totaling the truck.

steelcomp
02-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Here is something else I thought I'd mention, my last truck was a '97 F150 Lariat with the 4.6L, no ball of fire but always got the job done, my '97 however would ping terribly on regular fuel, it ran fine on mid-grade, I think the programming on the '97's was buggier (fuel/timing), there were a few changes after the '97 model year that would also lead me to choose '98 or newer, unless the deal was just too damn good. Other than the fuel issue my '97 was an outstanding truck, it had 104K (trouble free) miles when my wife got hit, totaling the truck.
The 97 5.4 is no rocket, and the Expedition is a heavy vehicle...all truck underneath. I went with the Superchips reprogammer and keep it in the towing mode. It requires premium fuel, but I always run that anyway. Made a pretty good difference, especially in how the tranny shifts. I hate slushbox automatics.

dmontzsta
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
I didnt see this, thanks for the info fellas. The ones I have been looking at are in the 100,000 mile range and I was worried about reliability. I am used to imports and high mileage is not really a concern. I just let one pass it was a 98 with 5.4 silver with gray leather 73k tow package all options for $5999 damnit...since I am in no hurry it is kind of nice cause I can take my time and find the right deal.
I appreciate all the info, the seem to be pretty reliable.
Are they coil on plug?

Jet City
02-11-2005, 05:52 PM
5.4L are coil on plug, 4.6L has a coil pack on the front of each head that fires the 4 plugs on that bank. As Steelcomp said, these rigs are heavy, even 200-300 more than a like equiped extra-cap truck, my 2000 5.4L truck has great power, at least for what I expect from this type of rig, and runs great on regular which saves me over .20 cents a gallon. If your barrowing money you may be better off getting one with under 100K as many lending institutions (with the better rates) won't touch vehicles with over 100K.
As far as reliabilty, these things will hang in there as well as any Jap rig, the mod engines have proven themselves in taxi and police service well beyond 200K time and again.

dmontzsta
02-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Good to hear, I am definately not going to settle for the 4.6. I love coil on plug, both of my daily drivers have it and it makes is easier to diagnose IMO, or maybe I am just used to new technology. I have already been looking at them, but I am in no hurry, just want to get one by summer. So I am having fun with these car salesmen that do not know jack shit about cars. :D

simple
02-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Must haves:
Eddie Bauer package
5.4 with Tow Package
3.73 rear end with auto-load leveling (hard to find)
Look at private parties. There are hundreds around with less than 80k and never towed anything. They are extremely good values because they are very reliable.
97-98s had 235 HP
99-2003s had 260 HP