PDA

View Full Version : Hot/Cold water transom shower question

NuckinFutz
02-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone have the info on the 496 engine concerning installation of a transom shower. I had one installed on my new boat and found out the shower pump does not pump any hot water. The shower relies on the pressure from the engine water pump for the hot water. The engine pump does not have enough pressure to do any good. The way it is plumbed now the shower pump is only working on the cold water side. I have through transom exhaust and am wondering if that is why I don't have adequate pressure for the hot, do I have problems with my engine water pump not pumping enough water (the engine does not run hot ever), or is the 496 closed cooling not going to work with the transom shower. Has anyone experienced problems with sucking water from the engine using the shower pump?

rvrpig
02-03-2005, 12:44 PM
Buddy has one on his ski boat...He never has a problem with sucking water away from the engine. But your never gunna get pressure out of your boat shower like you do in your home shower. You have to make sure the motor is warm and running to run the hot side. Your engine should at least be running 150 degrees and that is hot enough to take a shower in. If your engine is not running that hot then think about using a thermastate to raise the temp to normal operating temp. If your running below normal motor temp you could be causing excessive wear on the engine...

surfer2001
02-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Most Here Don't Take Showers Much, Lots Of Dirty Old Men.

Backfire
02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm confused.... Does your boat have closed cooling with a heat exchanger and coolant? If so, you'll generally have a car-style circulation pump and an impellar-style raw water pump. I'd guess that under that scenario, your shower hot is hooked to the raw water discharge from the heat exchanger. With either a closed or fresh water system, the hot water pressure is going to be dependent on how much of the hot water is leaving the boat thru other means, such as thru the exhaust. Simply, If you want to raise the hot water pressure, you are going to need to choke off the other hot water exits.

NuckinFutz
02-04-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes it is a closed cooling system. I have had showers on prior boats without the closed cooling and agree the water pressure is not like at home. I can see with the through transom exhaust the path of least resistance is out the exhaust and figure that is why nothing is being forced through the shower supply line. I'm only concerned if sucking water out of the cooling system could cause any engine damage. I'd like some warm water, but not at the expense of a new engine.

rvrpig
02-04-2005, 12:11 PM
if it is a closed cooling system then youll have to get another water pump that will suck the water from a new pick up point that youll have to drill in the boat. Run the water through a heat exchanger. I would not suck any water away from the motor...just use a heat exchanger with water that you suck up from the river and heat from the exchanger. my opinion.

KACHINA KEN
02-05-2005, 09:54 AM
if it is a closed cooling system then youll have to get another water pump that will suck the water from a new pick up point that youll have to drill in the boat. Run the water through a heat exchanger. I would not suck any water away from the motor...just use a heat exchanger with water that you suck up from the river and heat from the exchanger. my opinion.
Are you high?

Tahiti350
02-05-2005, 10:09 AM
:idea: Easier way would be to simply install a two way valve on the cooling tower fresh water outlet, turn it to "shower" or "overboard". That would put all the flow thru the shower and should give you better pressure and moderately warm water. :redface: The cooling tower outlet will, or should, never get "hot". If it does you have bigger problems. :sqeyes:
Good luck.

Boatcop
02-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Whatever type of warm water shower you have, MAKE SURE that the water isn't routed anywhere through the exhaust system. And warn users to be careful around the transom of a running boat. Better yet, keep anyone away from the transom of a running boat. Even at idle.
We all, by now, should know the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) and should have the engine shut down whenever anyone is anywhere near the transom.
As far as transom showers, there have been several deaths and numerous near-deaths as a result of using transom showers. Some used water directly from the exhaust, and others have succumbed to CO poisoning as a result of breathing CO from a running engine while using the showers near the transom of boats.
Here's a link to confirmed CO poisonings across the country. (.PDF File) Learn from others' experiences and don't let you or your friends or family become victims.
Boat Related CO Poisonings (http://safetynet.smis.doi.gov/thelistbystate8.pdf)