PDA

View Full Version : How will $4 for a gallon of gas affect you?

MagicMtnDan
04-21-2006, 06:37 AM
We're headed to $4/gallon, maybe even more this summer. How will that affect you?

WATERFOUL
04-21-2006, 06:40 AM
I'll buy "cheap" 100LL Av gas for $3.75 a gallon for my lawn mower :mad:

bchbum
04-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Well, we sold the jet boat at the end of last summer ,knowing we were taking this summer off . To many family things this year to be able to use it enough . The next boat will be a bigger one with a prop , so we can go in the ocean . We live 6 miles from Davies & almost 300 from the lake . The $ saved by this will give us more trips :crossx:

rsoscia
04-21-2006, 06:45 AM
A barrel of oil is at a record high ...73 a barrel, I paid 75 at Sams and that didnt fill the work truck...did I just buy a barrel of oil? How many gallons in a barrel?

SHIFTY
04-21-2006, 06:51 AM
Convert Your Boat To Run On Alcohol...

HM
04-21-2006, 07:16 AM
I like it. Less traffic.

Captain Dan
04-21-2006, 07:24 AM
We're headed to $4/gallon, maybe even more this summer. How will that affect you?
It means I will be spenfding more on gas this summer.... :)

Big Warlock
04-21-2006, 07:30 AM
I'll miss you all at the lake! LOL
Actually, I bet most of you will still be there, hanging out and chatting.
How much fuel do you think will be burned over the Desert Storm Poker run? I think I will start a new thread! :cool:

H20 Toie
04-21-2006, 07:33 AM
It means I will be spending more on gas this summer.... :)
Ditto

caroftheweek
04-21-2006, 07:45 AM
It means that the company gas card will really start to pay off.

Jyruiz
Maybe it will keep some of the punks away from Havi.

YeLLowBoaT
Well since I Use my truck for work. I average 5 tanks of gas, a month, just for work. 20 gal tank with a average fill up of about 18 gal. So about 90 gal a month @ $4 a gal thats $360 a month. Its costing me ~$150 more a month right now then it did last year.

Riverat84
04-21-2006, 08:00 AM
it'll set me back for sure now, but it sure as hell wont stop me!....
Reid

Liberator TJ1984
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
won't bother me one little bit :crossx:
My boss lets me fill up with Diesel at work ,since I use my truck to run shop errands and get parts ,etc...:p :)
he's too tight to get a shop truck :rolleyes:

ECeptor
04-21-2006, 08:02 AM
It means that the company gas card will really start to pay off.
Yep, $4/gal gas means my AAA card will return $0.20/gal back to me (5% cash back).

FREIND OF AA AND TA
04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Glad the channel is still open. LOL
Glad I have HOs!!
Glad I cut the bow open to bring more chipper inners. LOL

Desert Rat
04-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I'll just bitch more.............if that's possible :cry:

RiverToysJas
04-21-2006, 08:49 AM
By taking out an equity line on the house! Is there any other way to pay for things?
RTJas :D

moneypit
04-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I like it. Less traffic.
I will happily pay higher prices if there arent as many boats and cars. :D :D

2Driver
04-21-2006, 08:59 AM
I have too many intersts anyway. If it goes to $4 I'd sell the boat and take a summer off and do other things. I'm considering do it now as it is.
Maybe rent a pontoon once or twice. Life's too short and there's is just too much to experience in life to be repeating the same hobby weekend after weekend anyway.

IMPATIENT 1
WHEN IT GETS TO 4.00 I WILL SELL THE JET AND GET A V-DRIVE WITH A BLOWN SMALL BLOCK :crossx:

havaduner
I'll just bitch more.............if that's possible :cry:
DITTO!!

Riverjet502
04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
I have been riding the bike to work and around town running my errends. I'll use 1.5 gallons per week. Cost me $4.06 to ride the bike to work last week. The truck will use 10 gallons of diesel. The difference in savings I use in the boat on the weekends. It reaches $4 a gallon I probably will park the jet and go 50/50 on gas with my brother on his pontoon...Then start riding my bicycle to work.

lalhc
04-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I guess I'll have to work harder to earn more $$$ for gas.

phebus
04-21-2006, 09:26 AM
I will be spending more time in the Channel looking at boobies, and less time out on the lake. It will be a sacrifice, but I will survive. :)

RiverToysJas
04-21-2006, 09:27 AM
I guess I'll have to work harder to earn more $$$ for gas.
:confused:
OH! Don't own a house huh? :idea:

slovolvo
04-21-2006, 09:38 AM
I will be spending more time in the Channel looking at boobies, and less time out on the lake. It will be a sacrifice, but I will survive. :)
Good Plan, I am with you on that one! And when I do go somewhere, I won't rev the motor over 3000RPMs.

slovolvo
04-21-2006, 09:44 AM
By taking out an equity line on the house! Is there any other way to pay for things?
HELOC=prime=ouch!

RiverToysJas
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
HELOC=prime=ouch!
Oh, so you're saying that's not the best way to pay for everything? :confused:
RTJas ;)

River918
04-21-2006, 10:07 AM
BOAT FOR SALE and let Mrs. River918 bumb rides for the family.... :crossx:

slovolvo
04-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Oh, so you're saying that's not the best way to pay for everything? :confused:
RTJas ;)
I never said that!!! :)

a catered life
04-21-2006, 10:24 AM
ditto and we will have to give more consideration to some trips might pass on some of the small trips and just make the bigger ones like naci, family fun day, and any weekends we get to spend with our true friends but over all this hobby is expensive any way you look at it....

Havasu1986
04-21-2006, 11:17 AM
It means that the company gas card will really start to pay off.Same with me. My company card pays for my work truck and my wifes company card pays for the family cars and boat.

XtrmWakeborder
04-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I'll be forced off the river...maybe i'll get to go once a month or so. :mad: Being a full time student and working part time sucks!!! $240.00 just for the gas to and from the river, plus boat gas, food, spot to put the trailer, just isn't in the cards.....

lalhc
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
I actually have 3 properties which are my first priorities. Gas for boat is discretionary $$$.
I saw on the news today that pawn shop activity has dramatically increased over the last couple of weeks. Most people that pawned items said they were doing it to pay for gas.

USCFAN
04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
I will only run one of my twins. :crossx:

Flyinbowtie
04-21-2006, 01:34 PM
It started making a difference last year in the number of rigs in the parking lot at our local lake. With the lakes down closer to the Valley all full, we should see even fewer out-of-towners on the water.
I rarely drive my F-350 4x4 CC dually diesel anymore, (unless it is storming or just freezing) It is a tow-rig/camper hauler only.
Last fall I bought a '65 VW Beetle, it is on a '70 pan and has a fresh 1776 single carb engine in it. I get around 21-22 MPG with it, and thought it made sense for a fun little summer commuter. It makes even more sense now. $29.00 per month for full coverage insurance, $30.00 a year to license it and no contact with the smog tax enforcers.
We are lucky, our favorite lake is 40 min from the driveway to the ramp. I suppose the fuel deal will make me more conscious of just cruising for the hell of it. We can spend the day pulling the wakeboarders and doing our thing for about $60.00 in the boat and $30.00 for the diesel to tow it. Add the beer/sandwiches etc and my family will spend about $120.00 for a day at the lake, up about $20.00 from last year.
This part of the hit may end up being the smallest. With the price of fuel skyrocketing, the price of everything else we touch won't be far behind, and there is no doubt in my mind that we could see a major economic slow-down by the start of the 4th quarter. Couple the fuel costs with the general uncertainty in the world, and at some point the boat seems to fall on the list of priorities. The people and multi-national corporations who are making enormous profits on petroleum by bleeding this nations' economy dry would be wise to make sure they don't cripple the #2 consumer of their product. The demand for recreational boats and RV's will dry up, followed by the market for money to finance those toys. Then, the real estate market in the far-reaching suburbs and recreation-driven communites will soften If Ford and GM go under, ( a real possibility with both) we could see an economic failure unlike anything since the Great Depression, IMHO
Two of my closest friends are independant owner/operators of logging trucks.
The enviromentalist whackos have driven the timber industry into the toilet, and now the lage mills, (SP, etc.) want them to eat the increasing fuel costs. These guys were averaging 8k per month for fuel last year. It has reached the point that they cannot even afford to go to work. The Kenworths are parked. They are looking for another way to make a living. When the timber-barons control the market from the forest to the lumber yard, and they are very close, they will do to lumber what OPEC and the multi-national oil companies have done to gasoline.
And the building trades, and everything associated with them, will be in trouble.
As far as changing recreational directions, in my family all our other hobbies and passions are internal-combustion powered as well.
Perhaps it may come to selling the boat and putting in a pool. Re-arranging my life any more than I already have to divert money so as to keep feeding Exxon-Mobil is, at some point in the near future, going to stop. I am sure the oil companies have lots of folks on the payroll who's job it is to determine just where that point is for the majority of us, and they set the price at just below that level. Sucking all the blood they can without killing the patient, so to speak.

WYRD
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
All this high gas talk has me depressed, I am heading to the river for some cheap therapy :crossx:

77charger
04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
i didnt plan on boating much this summer anywyas too busy.But if i wasnt busy i would be taking less trips for sure.I go to boat not float and sit all day also.My boat doesnt use much gas (350 mag anD 21ft boat).usually go thru 20-30 gallons a weekend(2 days boating) but add for truck it will get too expensive for me.
If boat wasnt paid for i would probably sell it.

Wake Havasu
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
You're dreaming if you think 4.00 plus a gallon only affects boating.
Most of the stuff we buy arrives via the aid of an eternal combustion engine.
Wait till Havi RE prices decline as people slow their visits down.
At 5.00 a gallon the Lake Havasu City Council will sell beer in the channel to attract boaters.

Playbuoy
04-21-2006, 04:49 PM
I hate the increase in gas as much as the next guy, but the truth is, if a
$1 to $2 increase in gas effects your lifestyle, you probably shouldn't own a boat. (Sounds like an a-hole thing to say...but....)

Tahiti350
04-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm only planning one big trip this year, and a few short range ones. beyond that it'll be at the local lake, pissin' off the property owners.
Tacoma to Shasta and back, approx. 1200 miles, Diesel gets 15 mpg towing the 5th wheel, second rig to tow the boat, hoping for 15 mpg, plus boat fuel for 4 days on the lake. figuring $3 a gallon (it's only(!!!) $2.70 for gas,and $280 for diesel right now here) that's $500 for travel fuel, about $150 for boat fuel, $130 for RV spot, $150 for food, that's almost $1000 for a 6 day trip. :220v: :mad: :cry: not sure which to do.....

kcvega
04-21-2006, 05:21 PM
This will be my first summer with a boat so I'll get to find out. I'm with the open bow chipper inner plan too. I'm already planning on spending most of my time just hanging out.

77charger
04-21-2006, 06:06 PM
$1 to $2 increase in gas effects your lifestyle, you probably shouldn't own a boat. (Sounds like an a-hole thing to say...but....)
Not an a hole thing.But more a reality.IMO ones buying bigger boats now that use more fuel know it is getting expensive so if they buy a boat dont complain.Others who have owned boats for years is where i feel for them.It looks like many will keep the hobby just do less of it.Which IMO is fine to do also.
I also go to glamis in the winter which takes some gas as of now i only go big weekends and maybe a couple of off weekends.If the price stays high i will cut off the off weekends and only go the big weekends(i get more time off work on holidays)
I work ot on saturdays to pay for my trips it use to be work one play the next now it will be work 2 play the 3rd weekend.LOL

Sleek-Jet
04-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Since I only go the lake about once a month as it is, it won't make that big a difference.
Like FBT said, probably 20 - 30 dollars a day more than last year. I just moved closer to work, so I can go two weeks without a fill up, and am now able to dump the storage shed (there's another couple hundred a month in the bank), so that alone will pay for the boat gas this summer.

LAVEYSABRE575
04-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I,m going to use that biofuel stuff. I honesty don't think gas prices are going to effect boat use alot. I could be wrong to me it's kind of like asking if a diesel crew cab gets good fuel mileage.Better yet before I buy that ferrari let me check my insurance. I think most people that have bigger than average boats dont give a sh-t about gas use in there boat or trucks....Derek

beyondhelpin
04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
More anchoring.........more drinking!
Playbouy........I have burned over a 100 gallons in one day. $200 more in a day? That makes a total of $400 a day just running on the water not including the truck! If that is the requirement for boating I probally better go ahead and sell the boat! Guess I am just not a big enough baller. :cry:
Dont know how many of you guys were around in the late 70s.....early 80s, every thing with a big motor, including boats, lost a shitloat of value. Could not hardly give them away!
In reality its going to have to get alot higher per gallon for me to drop the boat. No raghead or suit is going to run me off the water! :yuk:

Wake Havasu
04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
$1 to $2 increase in gas effects peoples choices.
And paying 200.00+ a day on fuel only to be hassled by LHC council will loose its priority.

kcvega
04-21-2006, 07:52 PM
I use to pay more than $4 a gallon for this thing, then I built a pump gas motor for it so it would be cheaper to drive around. So much for that, huh?http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e105/kcvega/clockerwheelie.jpg

JetBoatRich
04-21-2006, 08:13 PM
The Local Gas Station had Diesel at $3.49 per gallon :mad: with gas right behind it :mad:
We have a lot of trips planned the next few months, all the trips are still on the Calendar :rolleyes:

HTRDLNCN
04-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Wont affect me much,I work for myself and my shop is on my property .
I only have to drive anywhere once or twice a week to do a gig.My F250 diesel
gets 16 towing the boat, 18-20 empty,,the GTO gets over 21mpg..
Boat itself isnt bad with a stock 350mag mercruiser.
Iprobably just wont go as fast or as far..
Now if I was driving a 10mpg SUV to work everyday 40-50 miles each way like
most everyone around me does it would definately affect me.
Good freind of mine works for an IT company and drives 100-150 miles every
day five to six days a week doing field work.
He had been driving an 01 Expedetion getting 10-14mpg.
Needless to say it was costing him $150 to $200 in gas every week.
He bought a VW TDI wagon (40-50mpg) and what he saves in fuel
actually pays for the car and he has money left over!..
Needless to say the old gas guzzler is
for sale to the first person that will buy it. !

DaveA
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Havasu1986]Same with me. My company card pays for my work truck and my wifes company card pays for the family cars and boat.[/QUOTE
I've got a company card too. Problem is...I own the company. :cry:
With all this talk about floating more and boating less, sounds like the Redneck Yacht Club will be getting a few more members this summer.

NorCal Gameshow
04-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Cut out starbucks...
i'm still money ahead :D

Playbuoy
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
$1 to $2 increase in gas effects peoples choices.
And paying 200.00+ a day on fuel only to be hassled by LHC council will loose its priority.
You got to take the difference from what you paid back then (say a year ago) to what we're paying now. Yes, it sucks...but realistically, it's .50 more than last year.
For example, for me that would mean:
25 gallons to River (Truck)
25 Gallons home from River (Truck)
40 Gallions while at River
90 Gallons total X .50 = $45.00 difference over last year.
Is it more, yes. And I hate that. But, $45 isn't going to stop me from making more memories. You only live once...

HocusPocus
04-21-2006, 09:00 PM
although the actual fuel cost doesn't bother me.. my wifes fuel and vehicle are paid by her employer.. the only driving i do is running kids around town and our monthly Havasu trips. i don't have a boat that eats gallons of fuel every hour so our time on the lake won't be so bad either.
however i know that fuel costs raise the prices of everything else.. which can be a problem. :(

Jrocket
04-21-2006, 09:11 PM
Im going to pay and keep driving the same way I always do,because theres nothing one person or any person can do about it.

YeLLowBoaT
04-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Cut out starbucks...
i'm still money ahead :D
Starbucks = $100 a gal.

ROZ
04-21-2006, 09:27 PM
it's .50 more than last year.
Atleast it is this early in to the season...
And a lot burn more than 40 gallons in a weekend.... most here probably do 2-3x as much and some ever more...
you're just taking boating into account... Don't forget the taxing cost increase of our normal daily driving... As far as industry goes, prices accross the board will be affected.. I raised prices on some of my customers ... lost one because of it..

dexman38
04-21-2006, 09:57 PM
OVERTIME :cry:

Cas
04-22-2006, 07:43 AM
I already raised my prices a;ong with most of the other contractors around here. As far as the boating goes, our jet may take on the v-drive look a little more often this year and stay on the trailer. :rollside:

Charley
04-22-2006, 08:33 AM
@ $4 a gallon I will be enjoying My river "House" alot more than my "boat" :cry: :cry:

cdog
04-22-2006, 08:41 AM
We would have a lot of extra supply if we deport 12 million illegals. How's that for conservation? :idea:

Howie Feltersnatch
04-22-2006, 09:37 AM
How will it affect me? Well for starters if it stays there, in about 60 days the price of just about everything I buy will be higher than what I'm paying today. Double the price of gas & the average person has half as much fun money as they used to - look for that to start hurting restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc, just for starters.

bohica
04-22-2006, 09:50 AM
No big deal, been paying $5/gal. all duning season long for race fuel. :D Only need 87 octane in the boat.

ROZ
04-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Oh My God!!! It's The End Of The World As We Know It!!!
:d

RitcheyRch
04-22-2006, 04:26 PM
So true. The news was saying that we should be prepared for higher prices at the grocery store as well as be prepared for a possible shortage of fuel. They said that they are already seeing fuel shortages in PA.
How will it affect me? Well for starters if it stays there, in about 60 days the price of just about everything I buy will be higher than what I'm paying today. Double the price of gas & the average person has half as much fun money as they used to - look for that to start hurting restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc, just for starters.

lawbreaker2
04-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Well, I'm on welfare anyways, so I don't go anywhere, and when I fill up it with your money anyways. :p all I do is go to the store to get more beer and moonpies. :D

cc322
04-23-2006, 06:18 AM
I have a company truck so I dont drive my personal truck (f250 v10) everyday. Only on the weekends and to the river. The price of gas is out of control imo but we still have our trips planned. I work some o/t and have a side business so that helps out alot, and buy the way my condo is being booked alot of peeps dont seem to be letting the increase at the pump bother them. Might just have to do only one speed run with the boat a trip