PDA

View Full Version : what cam for a 396?

dave186
02-04-2005, 04:15 PM
ok, since i dont know jack about BBCs, could someone reccomend a cam for a 396 in a flat bottom? about all i know is its out of a 69 el camino. already has a tunnel ram with dual quads and headers. a friend of mine just wants to get a few more RPMS out of it. as far as we know its all stock inside. if yah need any more info on it let me know and i will find out.

DogHouse
02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
I think to choose a cam with any sort of accuracy will require more info, like compression ratio, head port size and flow #s, intake configuration (you gave us that), intended usage in terms of power band (where do you want peak torque and peak hp to occur), and any other special considerations like idle quality and rpm (important for outdrives, not so much for jets and v-drives?).
I've had good luck using desktop dyno to do trade studies of various cam profiles for the motors that I've played with. It's also kinda fun in a motorhead sorta way!
:D

76BARRON
02-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Doghouse is correct ,but to give you a place to start I will throw this out there. I am kind of a fan of ISKY(maybe the last :D )Lot's to consider
but to be fairly safe ; let's say he's got less than 10:1 comp you could look at ISKY'S # Z-57 solid or 280/292 mega hydraulic.
if 11:1+ comp. is more like it you can get more cam but now you have a bunch more home work to do! and dont skimp on springs! springs will (kinda)decide how much RPM you'll get.Welcome to the first day of school :D
ISKY'S phone#323 -770 -0930(old?)

dave186
02-05-2005, 05:21 PM
would casting numbers help any? this motor as far as we know is stock. but never had it open to confirm. i know the boat has some super low gears in the v drive and spins some high RPMs. it needs different gears, but thats another deal. I will gather some more info.

76BARRON
02-07-2005, 05:26 PM
what kind of RPM's you talkin so far? Is this motor fresh or old and tired? the more info the better,casting's,gear's ,prop,anything you can add will help.

Moneypitt
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
From what you have described put some floatation in the boat and insure it . When the rods start coming out the pan they will take out the bottom of the boat..........MP