PDA

View Full Version : competitive trailer question

speedaddict
02-04-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm trying to title a boat trailer that was previously registered out of state. they need to do a vin inspection. We can't seem to find it anywhere. Where were these usually stamped? It's a hydro trailer, titled in 1977. TIA.
Bryan

Scape Goat
02-04-2005, 06:24 PM
on the neck(tong) of the trailer top or side

speedaddict
02-04-2005, 06:27 PM
it's not there :(

Cole Boy
02-04-2005, 07:19 PM
I ran into the same problem, told DMV I built the trailer few years back
and I never non opt it, in reality the trailer was'nt registar for 10 yrs
could'nt find vin # on trailer, DMV issued new numbers and I had to pay
back a couple of years for no tag and new plate, dont show them your old
registration because they will enter it in there computers, mine was not in
there system.
good luck

speedaddict
02-04-2005, 07:28 PM
well, it's currently registered.. just in WA, not OR. I won't have to worry about back registration. The dmv says I need to have the state police do a verification, then they'll assign it a new vin. I guess that's the route I'll have to go.

GofastRacer
02-04-2005, 08:13 PM
At that time Competitive didn't stamp theit trailers they put a sticker on the side by the tongue. If it's gone just take it down and show them the paperwork, they will look at it and make sure it's road worthy and they will assign a VIN number for it on the new title no biggie!.. :cool:

DaveA
02-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Since you've got the number anyway, go stamp it yourself on the frame somewhere, and then paint over it or something. Then wire-brush it off and show it to them.
Been there, done that.

GofastRacer
02-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Yep that works too!..

Jeanyus
02-05-2005, 08:14 AM
If a guy called Competitive, do you think they would make up a new sticker for you. My sticker was beat and dinged up, so I ground it off. The trailer is being painted today so I wont be able to stamp them.
I saw on the news last year that the police were waiting at CFW, and they took 3 boats that the numbers didn't match.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859pivot.jpg

waterwitch
02-05-2005, 09:44 AM
We just went through this on Wens.
What a pain in the ass!!! We had title
but no VIN #'s. Long and short of it was
we had to get bonded through our insurance
company, and then after the 3rd trip to the
DMV, we got new VIN #'s. Very long day!

DaveA
02-05-2005, 09:47 PM
If a guy called Competitive, do you think they would make up a new sticker for you. My sticker was beat and dinged up, so I ground it off. The trailer is being painted today so I wont be able to stamp them.
I saw on the news last year that the police were waiting at CFW, and they took 3 boats that the numbers didn't match.
They would at least probably want to inspect the trailer themselves along with the title etc before they stuck their neck out that far. It would be coool to have an original style mfg's plate, tho.

GofastRacer
02-06-2005, 06:49 AM
If a guy called Competitive, do you think they would make up a new sticker for you.
Wouldn't hurt to try!..

GofastRacer
02-06-2005, 06:54 AM
We just went through this on Wens.
What a pain in the ass!!! We had title
but no VIN #'s. Long and short of it was
we had to get bonded through our insurance
company, and then after the 3rd trip to the
DMV, we got new VIN #'s. Very long day!
When I got the Rayson I took it down to DMV and there was not one number on the trailer, they looked it over and assigned a number to it, took 30 minutes!..

waterwitch
02-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Well.... that is the difference
between AZ and CA... we are still
in the stoneages. I was ready to get
a rock and hammer in the numbers
myself. :cry:

72 Hondo
02-07-2005, 09:24 AM
I had no numbers or paperwork on my trailer, A very nice lady at AAA told me before I sign any paperwork to go home and put a minimum of 6 and no more than 12 numbers on the tounge, throw away the note I got from the owner and come back to see her. It took 5 minutes to get papers and a plate. She told me that trailer companies use there own numbers (for the most part) and chances are I whould pick a number that would´nt flag in the calif. system, $10.00 later it worked. The calif. Highway Patrol could of taken upto 3 months. Numbers were something like 7177117 If you guessed I used a screwdriver and a hammer YOUR A WINNER!!! I don´t know about other states but, its just an idea. Do what you have to do..... :devil:

speedaddict
02-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Well, thanks all. I guess I'm going to do it the "legal" way.. and get it inspected by the state police on Thursday and then go back to the dmv and have them issue a vin #. Pain in the ass, but oh well.. hope it goes smoothly.