PDA

View Full Version : is this a SWTD

anger management
02-05-2005, 10:08 AM
http://home.ripway.com/20http://home.ripway.com/2005-1/235849/Picture038.JPG05-1/235849/Picture038.JPG

anger management
02-05-2005, 10:13 AM
hull id number begins with SCL which does not appear to be south wind hin anyone ??

anger management
02-05-2005, 10:24 AM
http://home.ripway.com/2005-1/235849/Picture040.jpg

anger management
02-05-2005, 10:27 AM
its appears to be an 82 year model

LakesOnly
02-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Hey AM,
Approximately where is this boat? I am in the Bay Area and travel to Yuba City quite a bit.
LO

Oldsquirt
02-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Here's what comes back on the HIN prefix....
Details for Manufacturer Identification Code SCL
MIC:SCL
Company:SEA CYCLE PRODUCTS INC
Company Official:
Parent Company:
Parent MIC:
Address:163 BOULEVARD DES TE
City:AUTEUIL LAVAL
State:QC
Zip:
Phone:
In Business:12/1/1972 12:00:00 AM
Out of Business:
Date Modified:6/22/2004 12:00:00 AM
Type:
Miscellaneous Additional Address:
Comments:
040622-BSC83 RETURNED. NO PHONE, NO INTERNET. CHG MIC STATUS TO INACTIVE

anger management
02-05-2005, 10:39 AM
(app whre is it) it is almost in my garage im still on the fence and trying to get more info before $$changes hands seems to be a good deal

LakesOnly
02-05-2005, 10:41 AM
How Much? I'll probably buy it if you won't. I am pretty damn sure it's a SWTD.
LO

moneysucker
02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Looks just like my 2 SWDTs. There are not too many that look like them. The only thing throwing it off is the HIN which someone else may have put there on a race only hull making it a custom hull so it could be registered. Either that or that is where the mold went.

anger management
02-05-2005, 10:50 AM
I pretty sure after 1981 somebody else made a few using the south wind mold im thinking this may be one off them

Squirtin Thunder
02-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I pretty sure after 1981 somebody else made a few using the south wind mold im thinking this may be one off them
Get ahold of the Southwind Boys they may have some info on it for you.

LakesOnly
02-05-2005, 10:56 AM
Okay everybody, here is what I think is going on:
AM, the last two numbers of the HIN should be 82, which will tell us the year of the hull. If the last numbers are 82, then the hull is a 1982 model.
If that boat is a 1982 model, and is a Southwind, then the first three characters of the HIN are SOL, not SCL. This is the only year that the SWTD would have an SOL. You really need to dig into the USCG registry to find the suppporting data, but I have done so.
For lengthy detailed reasons that I won't get into here, there are only two Southwind boats in existence that I know of that were ever laid up in 1982, and one of them is at my house. I think they are great boats because there were some pioneering, one-off trick stuff done to mine that hasn't been seen on any Southwinds of previous years, and I suspect you will find the same in that boat if it is a Southwind. This may include a Kevlar layup in that boat.
I thought for sure only two 1982 SW boats were ever made, one T-Deck and one TD. If that boat you're looking at is what I think it is, then I'll bet the HIN is something like SOL0010382.
Check it out and let me know. Actually, check it out and if I am right, then jump on it, and then let me know.
LO

anger management
02-05-2005, 11:03 AM
thank you I think ill do that and post more latter

Nucking futs
02-05-2005, 02:57 PM
Looks like one to me. These things are popping up all over the place.Not sure who made it but lakes is all over the HIN#. Also looks to be an R pump. Check the intake and see if it has an R intake and then buy it...........Tim

steelcomp
02-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Tim, what's the difference between a reg. intake and an R intake? Is it marked anywhere?

anger management
02-05-2005, 04:56 PM
o.k its in my front yard lakes only is correct the hin is SOL 19T11182 its in rough shape but has alot off potential.it appears to be a plain jane berkely
intake+pump some mention was made off a high dollar impeller but that remains to be seen i paid 1500 for it

Nucking futs
02-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Tim, what's the difference between a reg. intake and an R intake? Is it marked anywhere?
Well the "R" intake loads more water at less of an angle and really is for a delta pad.All the top fuelers we ran had the R intake and really seemed to work better in the SWTD.Im no pro and don't know all the details on the angles but i think the R is a 5* intake.The biting edge has less of an angle to follow going up through the suction housing.They are also wider than the standard intake as well.Im sure the pump pros could help you out with the details. I have an "R" intake in mine and can't really tell you the details on why they work better or not on this hull.But, Thats what worked for us and everyone has there own idea on what works and what does'nt work.I do know that berkley is offering the complete R pump again.Im sure you could get more details from berkley or any race pump builder, but thats about all i know. Tim

78Southwind
02-05-2005, 06:25 PM
o.k its in my front yard lakes only is correct the hin is SOL 19T11182 its in rough shape but has alot off potential.it appears to be a plain jane berkely
intake+pump some mention was made off a high dollar impeller but that remains to be seen i paid 1500 for it
Any pictures yet? I tried the link and it doesn't work for me.

460rogers
02-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Can you post a front view?
http://home.ripway.com/2005-1/235849/Picture038.JPG

anger management
02-05-2005, 07:10 PM
there is a frontal shot in my third post this morning it tried to post a pick from when i got home and was for some unknown reason unsecsessful

fastsanger
02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
are you gonna put one bad ferd in that mamma jamma?so you can hang with jr and tha gang

anger management
02-05-2005, 07:44 PM
are you gonna put one bad ferd in that mamma jamma?so you can hang with jr and tha gang
no ferds im a chebby man.

LakesOnly
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Holy Shiit, that HIN suggests that the last owner of Southwind Boats laid up as many as 11 hulls in 1982!
AM, I gotta, and I mean I gotta see this boat. I will PM you for contact info and next time I'm in YC, I need to see it.
$1500 is a smokin' deal for a workable T/D. Now, I don't want to get you all riled up here because I haven't seen the boat, and also the statement I am about to make is very subjective, but if that boat has Kevlar in it you just scored a hull worth potentially $4000-5000 in it's current condtion, more than twice that if very good condition.
Is the glass floor greenish or yellowish? Does this boat have parquette flooring? Parquette flooring looks like this:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Valve_Train_Install-med.jpg
Finally, if you intend to build a Ford for it, I can set you up with a 100+ MPH engine package using stock block heads & crank (or better parts if you want).
LO

mouzer
02-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Looks like one to me. These things are popping up all over the place.Not sure who made it but lakes is all over the HIN#. Also looks to be an R pump. Check the intake and see if it has an R intake and then buy it...........TimTheres another one in corona :rolleyes: bare hull with new parkay floor and stringers and all the gage and steering holes prof. plugged!primed and ready for paint! and rigging,on a nice tandom trailer.comes with nothing!comepletely bare!he was asking $2500 but im still waiting for him to come down a little bit before i strike!he claims the floor and stringers and plugging cost him $1800 :rolleyes: ive got a pump and tanks and full set of gages!but i really not in the mood for a project right now!unless the price is right!

anger management
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
it does have a parquette floor i have a big inch chevy motor that out grew my ski boat for it.Im hoping to step up in to tripple digits with this one.

anger management
02-06-2005, 10:16 AM
it appears my picture links dissappeared i tried to repost but cant seem to do it i get the feeling there is 10.000 copies of these pics somewhere in my computer

FOURQ
02-06-2005, 12:49 PM
email them to me i will put them up on my site and link them .
shawn@southwindjetboats.com
shawn

anger management
02-06-2005, 02:47 PM
email them to me i will put them up on my site and link them .
shawn@southwindjetboats.com
shawn
I e mailed you some pics from today I appreciate all the help

LakesOnly
02-06-2005, 02:56 PM
You can also upload them to the ***boat Image Center and then deep link from there.
Also, AM did you know there is a SW Website?
www.southwindjetboats.com
LO

anger management
02-06-2005, 05:08 PM
i put them in the ***boat Image center know how do i get them here?

BK
02-06-2005, 05:35 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_116-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_114-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_115-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_118-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_117-med.JPG

LakesOnly
02-06-2005, 05:42 PM
i put them in the ***boat Image center know how do i get them here?
Open ***boat Forums, and then also open your ***boat Image Center.
Click on the picture to view it, then right-click directly on the picture and select "properties."
Highlight the http address and copy it.
Open a "post" field in the ***boat forums and paste the http address between "" & "" Like this:
(http address)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_116-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_114-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_118-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/2309Picture_117-med.JPG
Looks to me like $1500 was a very good deal for that tunnnel dragster.
LO

FOURQ
02-06-2005, 06:54 PM
looks like mine with the exception of the parque floor.. looks to me you got a smokin deal gell looks saveable...

mouzer
02-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Good job,i also would have gave $1500 :eek: no surprise there though! :D Those floors will clean up! :D

anger management
02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
looks like mine with the exception of the parque floor.. looks to me you got a smokin deal gell looks saveable...
i wish that was the gell coat unfortunellty its a crappy yellow paint job over the black+orange and yellow gell coat.there are several chips+cracks in the paint revealing the original colors.I pulled the jet appart and varified thre is what appears to be a stainless "b"cut impeller look pretty new the suction peace has to come due a crack in the bedding compound.theres also cracks at the bottom corners of the pod at the transum pos stess cracks is this common

78Southwind
02-06-2005, 09:30 PM
So whats the story Shawn, Tim and Paul? Where did the molds go when your grandfather sold the business? Were they all made with Kevlar in 1982?

mouzer
02-06-2005, 10:44 PM
i wish that was the gell coat unfortunellty its a crappy yellow paint job over the black+orange and yellow gell coat.there are several chips+cracks in the paint revealing the original colors.I pulled the jet appart and varified thre is what appears to be a stainless "b"cut impeller look pretty new the suction peace has to come due a crack in the bedding compound.theres also cracks at the bottom corners of the pod at the transum pos stess cracks is this commonStill wourth the money,all my swtd;s,had stress cracks in the bottom corners of the pod! :D

steelcomp
02-06-2005, 10:53 PM
it appears my picture links dissappeared i tried to repost but cant seem to do it i get the feeling there is 10.000 copies of these pics somewhere in my computer
This is off the thread topic a little, but I wnat to mention that the exact same thing has happened to Squirtin Thunder, and pics that I have posted before, now get an "invalid file type" message when I try to post them. Same pic from the same source. Nothing different.

FOURQ
02-06-2005, 11:37 PM
the stress cracks at the bottom of the pod are common due to the stress of the plates.. every swtd i have ever seen has had them. its not a problem to fix and try to keep from coming back. make shure the plate isnt butted against the inner pod and put a 3oz layup in the corners were the cracks are then grind out the cracks and fill it back in with chopped fiber and sand and regell it will be good as new .. i just did mine.
shawn

FOURQ
02-06-2005, 11:39 PM
So whats the story Shawn, Tim and Paul? Where did the molds go when your grandfather sold the business? Were they all made with Kevlar in 1982?
the molds went to the guy that got the business from gramps...we dont know if they all had kevlar or not in 1982.. we do know the new ones will :mix:

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 08:58 AM
I know of two totally different people who each state they know exactly where the molds are. Both of these people live within about 1/2-hour of where the last Southwind owner was laying up boats, and one of them even has several T/Ds, including two that were never rigged. I am wondering from whom AM bought his boat because he lives just fifteen minutes from one of those two people...and AM's boat is a 1982. The location is right and the boat year is right. Those '82 Southwinds seem to be around here...I gotta follow up on those other guy's claims (for Futts & Q).
As far as the Kevlar goes, that's how my boat was advertised and I discounted it. When I went to look at the boat, the previous owner re-stated this and I still didn't believe him. Then he described what the shop guys had to say that took the hook out of the hull...and I immediately went over and took a closer look at the floor. I called Futts and he said that this is what the subsequent Southwind owner was known for (Kevlar) and announced he would do when he bought the business. My boat is the very first one he laid up.
Two other people have looked at my boat and say they think it's Kevlar but cannot confirm short of drilling a 1/2-inch hole though my hull bottom and looking at layers. I say Fukc that. I'll just keep trying to find the last owner.
There are enough unusual features about my hull that make it a nice boat whether or not it's Kevlar, such as the 5/8-inch full length tunnel stringers (as opposed to the normal 2x6 engine-length stringers of other 18-ft's), the lack of a floor, etc. I even know a guy that weighs twice as much as I do and he breakdances on his SW 18-ft bow; if I set one foot on my paper thin 1982 bow, I'll fall right though. Again, I'll just keep trying to find the last owner of the company.
Incidentally, do not confuse Kevlar with Carbon Fiber. A lot of peole expect to see a black floor in my boat...it is not carbon fiber. Kevlar is a "cousin" of Nylon that is about 20% stronger and 20% lighter than fiberglass. this allows for a lighter boat and thinner layup--thereby making the boat lighter yet. It does not bond as well as fiberglass, though, and so in most cases Kevlar is laid up by way of being sandwiched between layers of fiberlglass for better adhesive properties (which is why everyone wants to drill a hole in my floor and look at the layers).
We'll get to the bottom of this ongoing saga, and get those molds back...last I heard they are gathering dust in a body shop in NorCal...
LO

roostwear
02-07-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm putting together a Registry for Southwind, and I need a little more background on this "SOL". The MIC database shows only one Southwind (actually, Southwind by Jemcraft (JNC)), so where does SOL come in? What different manufacturer codes were used for Southwind production, and during what periods?
Just to clarify, the last 4 digits of the HINs prior to 1984 mean month and year of manufacture or certification, not model year (if it is 4 numbers). The manufacturer could voluntarily use the post 1984 HIN structure that included model year and manufacture/cert date (this includes a letter denoting month of manufacture). A minor point, but explains the difference in model year and production date I'm seeing in the different Registry listings as well as the letter in some HINs.

roostwear
02-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Here's a link to the Southwind Registry (http://www.roostwear.com/southwindregistry.htm). Any bugs, please let me know. From looking at the MIC database, it would appear there was a name change in 1981, but no details. Is this when SOL came into play?

78Southwind
02-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I know of two totally different people who each state they know exactly where the molds are. Both of these people live within about 1/2-hour of where the last Southwind owner was laying up boats, and one of them even has several T/Ds, including two that were never rigged. I am wondering from whom AM bought his boat because he lives just fifteen minutes from one of those two people...and AM's boat is a 1982. The location is right and the boat year is right. Those '82 Southwinds seem to be around here...I gotta follow up on those other guy's claims (for Futts & Q).
As far as the Kevlar goes, that's how my boat was advertised and I discounted it. When I went to look at the boat, the previous owner re-stated this and I still didn't believe him. Then he described what the shop guys had to say that took the hook out of the hull...and I immediately went over and took a closer look at the floor. I called Futts and he said that this is what the subsequent Southwind owner was known for (Kevlar) and announced he would do when he bought the business. My boat is the very first one he laid up.
Two other people have looked at my boat and say they think it's Kevlar but cannot confirm short of drilling a 1/2-inch hole though my hull bottom and looking at layers. I say Fukc that. I'll just keep trying to find the last owner.
There are enough unusual features about my hull that make it a nice boat whether or not it's Kevlar, such as the 5/8-inch full length tunnel stringers (as opposed to the normal 2x6 engine-length stringers of other 18-ft's), the lack of a floor, etc. I even know a guy that weighs twice as much as I do and he breakdances on his SW 18-ft bow; if I set one foot on my paper thin 1982 bow, I'll fall right though. Again, I'll just keep trying to find the last owner of the company.
Incidentally, do not confuse Kevlar with Carbon Fiber. A lot of peole expect to see a black floor in my boat...it is not carbon fiber. Kevlar is a "cousin" of Nylon that is about 20% stronger and 20% lighter than fiberglass. this allows for a lighter boat and thinner layup--thereby making the boat lighter yet. It does not bond as well as fiberglass, though, and so in most cases Kevlar is laid up by way of being sandwiched between layers of fiberlglass for better adhesive properties (which is why everyone wants to drill a hole in my floor and look at the layers).
We'll get to the bottom of this ongoing saga, and get those molds back...last I heard they are gathering dust in a body shop in NorCal...
LO
Interesting story Paul. So is the MIC Database correct for SOL?
MIC Company Address City State
SOL FLORIDA DORY, INC. 1588 PINEHURST DRIVE CASSELBERRY FL
From your post it sounded like the last owner of Southwind was building boats in N.Ca not FL.
I talked to Scott Place at the boat show and he said Place got ride of their TD hull in 1998 or 1999.
I didn't have a chance to talk to Cobra to ask them if their mold was a splash or original. Do you know?

Nucking futs
02-07-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm putting together a Registry for Southwind, and I need a little more background on this "SOL". The MIC database shows only one Southwind (actually, Southwind by Jemcraft (JNC)), so where does SOL come in? What different manufacturer codes were used for Southwind production, and during what periods?
Just to clarify, the last 4 digits of the HINs prior to 1984 mean month and year of manufacture or certification, not model year (if it is 4 numbers). The manufacturer could voluntarily use the post 1984 HIN structure that included model year and manufacture/cert date (this includes a letter denoting month of manufacture). A minor point, but explains the difference in model year and production date I'm seeing in the different Registry listings as well as the letter in some HINs.
Mike , Also check into BELCO marine out of Killeen (sp) TEXAS. Southwind by Belco was the second shop out of Texas.Mark Connell ran the shop out there and he only built the TD for a few years before the company was sold in 81.I will talk to my dad and get a few more details on this for you and i will get in touch.Great Idea and service you are putting together.It will help with all the boats that are out there and a nice place to have a Data Base to look to.... :cool:

anger management
02-07-2005, 07:47 PM
o.k after futher reveaw i realized the hin i posted is incorrect the hin is actually sol19t10082 not 11182 im assuming this brings the number produced back down closer to lakes only originally estimate.sorry guys

78Southwind
02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
o.k after futher reveaw i realized the hin i posted is incorrect the hin is actually sol19t10082 not 11182 im assuming this brings the number produced back down closer to lakes only originally estimate.sorry guys
Hey Paul
This boat was probably built just before yours. :idea:

anger management
02-07-2005, 08:05 PM
can i assume the hin on lakes only boat is sol19t10182

78Southwind
02-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey Shawn
What's the story behind KNC for the Manufacturers Identification Code?

anger management
02-07-2005, 09:30 PM
BTW i got this boat from a guy who traded a flat botom for it and has very little backround on it however i also know the guy he traded with and a couple of other peaple who i suspect might have some 411 on it including the guy that informed me of its location and the posibility of picking it up cheap.So asap i am going to contact some peaple and see what i can find out

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 09:41 PM
SOL19T10082 That number's more like it. This means there are three boats from 1982 that we know about. There may be more, we need to investigate.
I intend to make my way back up in your neck of the woods and hook up with someone. :D And by the way, AM, I would also like to take a close look at your boat. I sent you a PM. You know what that is? You need to click on "User CP" at the top-left of the page (in the blue band). you'll find the message, just look around. My number's in there...
LO

Cs19
02-07-2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00650-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00649-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00664-med.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/409DCP00648-med.JPG
Heres our 1980 tunnell dragster, there is a chance it'll be at CBBB 05'.

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 09:53 PM
can i assume the hin on lakesonly's boat is sol19t10182
SOL19T10182 is Petrofied's 1982 T/D. I don't know if he still has is boat or if he sold it...
My boat is not a tunnel dragster (so there's no "19T" in the HIN) it's an 18-ft. My HIN number is SOL18F10082.
These are the three 1982 Southwinds that I know of...
LO

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 09:57 PM
Hey Paul
This boat was probably built just before yours. :idea:
AM's HIN is SOL19T10082
My HIN is SOL18F10082.
It is entirely possible that our boats were laid up side by side in their respective molds. :D
Lo

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Mike , Also check into BELCO marine out of Killeen (sp) TEXAS. Southwind by Belco was the second shop out of Texas.Mark Connell ran the shop out there and he only built the TD for a few years before the company was sold in 81.I
Mike, Southwind by Bellco HIN's start with BXE.
LO

anger management
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
sorry lakes only i thought i sent a confirm that i received your pm when i looked at it the other day let me know when your going to be in the area and i give you directions to come and look.i appretiate the offer on the ford stuff and also see alot off pluses in ford engines but i allready have a big inch chevy motor for this one.a freind off mine has a cole with a ford in it and that thing f...ing runs which is also a reflection on the builder=cole ford

steelcomp
02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Chris, that thing's really clean. Looks like original gel, too. :D :coffeycup

Cs19
02-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks Steel.
Its a really fun boat, has a nice little 468, makes 602 hp, fresh MPD stage 2.5 pump.
Weve had it since I was born, it will be in the family forever, hopefully my kids will be running it someday, best its ever been was 99 mph @ either ming or marine stadium, I forget. :mix:
See ya..CS

Cs19
02-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Steel, yes its the OG gelcoat.Hes also got the OG access hole cover with the southwind TD logo on it, same one in Nucking Fut's avatar.
CS

roostwear
02-07-2005, 10:27 PM
Mike, Southwind by Bellco HIN's start with BXE.
LO
"B & Crafts" from NC? Usually there's a trail in the database when a code is reassigned or company bought/moved. Odd......

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Interesting story Paul. So is the MIC Database correct for SOL?
MIC Company Address City State
From your post it sounded like the last owner of Southwind was building boats in N.Ca not FL.
Aw, 78Southwind, you were almost there, man! :)
The last Southwinds were laid up in NorCal.
When you type "SOL" into the MIC Database, here is what comes up:
Now, if you click on the blue SOL, the entire history of Florida Dory comes up. The records show that Florida Dory came into business on March 8, 1989, and that they have since gone out of business ("OOB") probably on April 13, 1990. But, if you scroll down to the very bottom of that page under "Comments," you will see where it says,
"SOL PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED TO SANTA MRN BLD SW BOATS: OOB May 5, 1983 ADDRESS UPDATE & OOB PER CG-5093 900402"
I have been trying to get report CG-5093 900402 from the coast guard for about two years now.
By the way, if you type in Southwind By Jemcrafts "JNC," you will see that the Futts & Q family sold the business around 3/4/1981 with a Futts & Q Family OOB filing of 6/2/1981. (Am I interpeting this right Futts? Also, there are were so many boat builders back then that some of the dates and info may very well be inaccurate.) Anyways, this coincides with the SOL "Comments" section where he seems to have kept the company afloat for about two years ( from March 3, 1981 to May 5, 1983) during which time he laid up perhaps only three boats...he was actually a career firefighter (hey! maybe that explains the Kevlar! :rolleyes: ).
I talked to Scott Place at the boat shown and he said Place got ride of their TD hull in 1998 or 1999.
I didn't have a chance to talk to Cobra to ask them if their mold was a splash or original. Do you know?
Dude, I have no idea how Cobra Boat's managed to revive the 18-Foot Southwind Formula 1 T-Deck. Once again, here is a picture of my 1982 Southwind Formula 1 T-Deck and a picture of the 2003 Cobra 18-ft below it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Anderson_New_Motor-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350Cobra-Southwind_Copy-med.jpg
LO

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 10:33 PM
"B & Crafts" from NC? Usually there's a trail in the database when a code is reassigned or company bought/moved. Odd......
I think the history is a mess... :( All that data being thrust into cyberspace from filing cabinets since forever...typed forms (remember typewriters?)
LO

roostwear
02-07-2005, 10:38 PM
AM's HIN is SOL19T10082
My HIN is SOL18F10082.
It is entirely possible that our boats were laid up side by side. :D
Lo
Even stranger. Both the HINs you list are only eleven characters, and the date code isn't correct. The pre 84 HINs were 12 characters, with 9-12 being the month/date (all numeric), with the 4-8 the "serial#" assigned by the builder. I don't know why this surprises me....we are talking boats here. I would urge eveyone with a SW to register it (http://www.roostwear.com/southwindregistry.htm) (and double check their HINs from the hull not paperwork).

anger management
02-07-2005, 10:46 PM
SOL19T10182 is Petrofied's 1982 T/D. I don't know if he still has is boat or if he sold it...
My boat is not a tunnel dragster (so there's no "19T" in the HIN) it's an 18-ft. My HIN number is SOL18F10082.
These are the three 1982 Southwinds that I know of...
LO
is that the original gell on pretrified if so I gotta wonder if thats whats under the yellow paint

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 10:47 PM
That's a clean T/D, CS19. Mine is original gel coat too:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350New_Motor_Boat-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/350Southwind_Overhead-med.jpg
Originally sold in 1982, it sat unrigged in a garage until 1987. The next guy bought it and he built it and kept it at Pleasure Cove at Berryessa, in storage most of its life and pulled out perhaps five times a summer. I got my hands on it about three years ago from him.
I love lightweight boats! :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3503.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3505.jpg
LO

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Even stranger. Both the HINs you list are only eleven characters, and the date code isn't correct. The pre 84 HINs were 12 characters, with 9-12 being the month/date (all numeric), with the 4-8 the "serial#" assigned by the builder. I don't know why this surprises me....we are talking boats here. I would urge eveyone with a SW to register it (http://www.roostwear.com/southwindregistry.htm) (and double check their HINs from the hull not paperwork).
That number is taken right off the back of my transom, Mike. Forget what the manufacturing laws state; there was mania going on back then (winding down from the 70's when there were 60-80 jet boat manufacturers in the LA area alone...)
LO

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 11:04 PM
is that the original gell on Petrofied? if so I gotta wonder if thats whats under the yellow paint
Dunno...you gotta ask Petrofied...
LO

roostwear
02-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I remmeber it well..... lived right in the middle of of it (geographically). It will be interesting to see what irregularities there are when we get a larger sample of Southwind HINs to view.

anger management
02-07-2005, 11:08 PM
lakes only didnt i see a vidio off that boat making a fast pass. That looked good , loose and fast I cant remember if there was a gps or radar speed on that thread or not. what kidda mph we talkin

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 11:11 PM
I remmeber it well..... lived right in the middle of of it (geographically). It will be interesting to see what irregularities there are when we get a larger sample of Southwind HINs to view.
Oh man, just wait till you se all the HIN prefixes for Cheyenne :2purples: :2purples:
:D
LO

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 11:23 PM
lakesonly, didnt i see a video off that boat making a fast pass. That looked good , loose and fast I cant remember if there was a gps or radar speed on that thread or not. what kidda mph we talkin
That clip was my new motor with just 45 minutes break-in time. A test & tune day for the new motor...my first flat-out pass with it.
Remember, this is not an air-entrapment boat like yours is...just a regular old v-hull with a stock pump. I built the motor as a pleasure boat motor. My best time is 85.3 MPH on GPS. That's with a catfish-lipped intake...without shoe or rideplate, and a tiny .232@.050" cam. So in that perspective, 85MPH ain't bad.
I think with a shoe, rideplate and cam change I can break 90mph, but I'm building a 521 for it first. Besides, I've a different boat I'm building to be fast.
http://home.earthlink.net/~vocalistkane/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/a.jpg
That's where all the fast money is going...I've had this project for a year and I gotta tell ya, it's a big one and taking longer than I expected...
LO

LakesOnly
02-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey AM, here's another clip. It has audio so turn up your speakers.
Click Here (http://home.earthlink.net/~kaneofthenation/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/boatwheelie.mpg)
LO

Danhercules
02-08-2005, 09:22 AM
I got a "nothing special" southwind. My hull is JNC18386M751. Its still a Southwind!!
Futs, whats you HUL ID on your cruiser? I know its a special one off, but I was just wondering.

anger management
02-08-2005, 08:12 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/23093766Sat_5-med.jpg this is the only picture i can find of my current boat, taken at cfw on newyears 05 by mrs p, the engine is still kanda new in its current form gps 90

Nucking futs
02-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Thats one bad old school boat right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I really hope to see this boat at c3b 05

Nucking futs
02-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Futs, whats you HUL ID on your cruiser? I know its a special one off, but I was just wondering.
My cruiser Does not have a southwind HIN #. It was built by Smiley of Smileys fiberglass and he built the boat for me when my Grandfather passed away in 97.Smiley built most of southwind cruisers off site back in the 70's.Same bottom mold with the deck reworked for an updated look.Also smiley builds all of DANA's boats so if you see a DANA 20' cruiser, its a Southwind offspring.

mouzer
02-08-2005, 08:25 PM
I got a "nothing special" southwind. My hull is JNC18386M751. Its still a Southwind!!
Futs, whats you HUL ID on your cruiser? I know its a special one off, but I was just wondering.all my southwinds dragsters all started with jnc :coffeycup Lakes drove all the way down here to corona to check out my last one! :D Lakes love your hydro man that is awsome cant wait to see it w/motor in it good luck! :coffeycup :D :D

78Southwind
02-08-2005, 10:59 PM
My cruiser Does not have a southwind HIN #. It was built by Smiley of Smileys fiberglass and he built the boat for me when my Grandfather passed away in 97.Smiley built most of southwind cruisers off site back in the 70's.Same bottom mold with the deck reworked for an updated look.Also smiley builds all of DANA's boats so if you see a DANA 20' cruiser, its a Southwind offspring.
Hey Tim
Do you know what Smiley's production is a year of his own boats? Not including other boat companies like DANA. I talked to the guy from DANA at the boat show and If I remeber right he said Smiley laid up all of his boats except for the 27.

anger management
02-08-2005, 11:04 PM
all my southwinds dragsters all started with jnc :coffeycup Lakes drove all the way down here to corona to check out my last one! :D Lakes love your hydro man that is awsome cant wait to see it w/motor in it good luck! :coffeycup :D :D
i agree that hydro awsum.that things gonna rip :messedup:

LakesOnly
02-08-2005, 11:12 PM
Lakes love your hydro man that is awsome cant wait to see it w/motor in it good luck! :coffeycup :D :D
i agree that hydro awsum.that things gonna rip :messedup:
Thanks guys, it is the 2001 World Finals Championship boat, 9-sec class. Best pass in 2003 was 7.63@155mph.
I have one engine I am building for it...an alcohol injected iron motor (some secret aluminum heads come later). And I am being offered an exclusive deal on an aluminum engine, the 1991 APBA world record holding engine in PGJ.
LO

Nucking futs
02-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Hey Tim
Do you know what Smiley's production is a year of his own boats? Not including other boat companies like DANA. I talked to the guy from DANA at the boat show and If I remeber right he said Smiley laid up all of his boats except for the 27.
Jerry, he does "all" of DANA's boats.I was there just the other day and he was doing a 27.My guess is that they don't want that info getting out.I talked to the dana guys to and they told me the same thing , but i know better.He is swamped with the danas and really has not had time to do any of "his" boats.The dana 23 is smileys mold and sells to them with name rights.
Tim

anger management
02-09-2005, 07:17 PM
the molds went to the guy that got the business from gramps...we dont know if they all had kevlar or not in 1982.. we do know the new ones will :mix:
I just talked to an old timer drag racer/boat builder from norcal .He says he knows a guy who knows the guy who had the south wind molds in sac. He thinks they may have been stolen from said individual but wasnt sure of the details, anyway im not sure if anyone interested . I can persue it futher if nessesary

FOURQ
02-10-2005, 01:43 PM
if you can find the mold there is a finders fee in it for ya... save me time and money making a new one..
Shawn

Nucking futs
02-10-2005, 02:22 PM
if you can find the mold there is a finders fee in it for ya... save me time and money making a new one..
Shawn
Do you really want a mold thats been sitting around for 25+ years.Lets just stick to the plan, stan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well then we could get it and cut it up and then we know where it really went. Just a thought

Danhercules
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Dont think Tim, your bad at it. :devil:

Nucking futs
02-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Dont think Tim, your bad at it. :devil:
It hurts too!!!!!!

FOURQ
02-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Do you really want a mold thats been sitting around for 25+ years.Lets just stick to the plan, stan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well then we could get it and cut it up and then we know where it really went. Just a thought
well whos boat we gana hack up to make the mold? yours or mine? if it is still in good condition it may be workable i was done in toolin gell so it should be ok... other wise someones not gana have a boat for a while.....

moneysucker
02-10-2005, 06:19 PM
is that the original gell on pretrified if so I gotta wonder if thats whats under the yellow paint
Yes that is the original gell on petrofied and yes it was sold. It should be together for this season. I can't wait to see it on the water again.

moneysucker
02-10-2005, 06:22 PM
You boys want to make texas tunnel 16'. I got the oportunity to buy that mold yesterday.

anger management
02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2309954Irvine_6-1-03033-med-med.jpg http:// Yes that is the original gell on petrofied and yes it was sold. It should be together for this season. I can't wait to see it on the water again.
any idea how much$$$ that sold for in the picture i have it looks to be in great shape just curious.ya this one. Tomorow I will try to get more info on those molds

LakesOnly
02-10-2005, 08:30 PM
AM's HIN is SOL19T10082
My HIN is SOL18F10082.
LO
Both the HINs you list are only eleven characters, and the date code isn't correct. The pre 84 HINs were 12 characters, with 9-12 being the month/date (all numeric), with the 4-8 the "serial#" assigned by the builder.
My hull is JNC18386M751.
Hey Roost, look at the above...Dan's 1975 SW has the 12 characters like you would expect to see. Only the 1982 model boats seem to be 11 characters. It's only my speculation, but do you suppose that new SW owner made up his own coded serializing system and got away with it? I know I've pulled some pretty damn sneaky stuff at the DMV and the computer accepted it, for example. :devil:
LO

roostwear
02-10-2005, 10:04 PM
All the JNCs in the Registry are 12 digits, and the format is post 84. If you're right about how few boats were built under SOL, it may have been they just didn't care. DO you know if the SOLs were retailed, or built for racing? If it was for racing, it wouldn't matter. Of course there would be no need to serialize a race hull anyhow, but I digress.
I am building a chart showing the HIN breakdown for pre and post 84 formats, and linking them in the Registry lists so people can readily decode a HIN. As more boats are listed, I can get additional info in the decoder specific to builder.... model, length, etc. I am seeing a few patterns that may unlock HINs for Sanger and Rogers.
I'm 99.9% sure Dan's HIN ends in "I" not "1", too.

LakesOnly
02-10-2005, 10:27 PM
I haven't the faintest how these boats were sold, public waterway or competition only. I can say that mine certainly has a performance-minded way of construction and design to it...I suppose it's possible the the last SW Business owner serialized for his own internal company use/records and sold them as race-only. I sure wish I new...
Here's the latest from the coast guard correspondence, as of today:
LO:(edited)What I am specifically looking for is any information in regards to a boat manufacturer that went out of business in 1983.
The problem I have is that the first three characters of my 1982 model boat are "SOL," and the MIC database points to a company that was created in 1989 and has since gone out of business. But, if you review this record, you will see that at the very bottom (under "Comments"), there is a notation that SOL was once assigned to a different boat manufactuer that folded in 1983. That is the boat manufacturer info I am looking for desperately. And the notation says, "PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED TO SANTA MRN BLD SW BTS: OOB 83 05 09 ADDRESS UPDATE & OOB PER CG-5093 900402.
Here is a link: http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=SOL
So, whatever CG-5093 900402 is, I would like very much to review it. I need to find some important history about my hull.
Please determine exacty what this notation means and let me know. I would very greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
USCG: The CG-5093 is a one page Coast Guard form used by our folks in the field to record address changes and deletions from our mailing list and database. Once we make the changes in our database the form is discarded. However, in this case the reference to the form is indicating that Florida Dory went OOB in 1990 and the form would have no information about the company you are referring to . Sorry I can't be of any assistance.
LO:Hello Rick and thanks very much for your prompt investigation in this matter.
I understand your point that the Coast Guard form CG-5093 will provide info only about "SOL=Florida Dory." That being the case, do you have any further ideas how can I gain info about the previous boat company to which SOL was assigned ("SOL=SWBoats")?
Also, I don't want to seem too presumptuous, but upon looking at the website again, it appears that CG-5093 900402 is not in regards to Florida Dory but truly is referring to the manufacturer I am trying to gain info about. Please review the following statement:
"PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED TO SANTA MRN BLD SW BTS: OOB 830509 ADDRESS UPDATE & OOB PER CG-5093 900402"
Correct me if I am mistaken, but it looks to me as though the above "Comments" field says OOB 830509 (Out of Business May 9, 1983) per CG-5093 900402. That would suggest the notation about the form refers to the SOL that folded in 1983, and not Florida Dory that folded in 1990.
Again, I don't want to seem overly aggressive; my very friend's family owned this boat company from 1971 through 1981. Then they sold to the next guy and we need very much to locate him. It used to be Southwind Boats (JNC), and when they sold to new owner in 1981, it became SW Boats ("SOL"). (Under JNC, we can see in the comments field, "Name Change 3/4/81")
How can we find out who the previous owner was that was assigned SOL from 1981 - 1983?
Thank you again,
Pushy MoFo, ain't I? :D
LO

LakesOnly
02-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Here's the latest from the coast guard correspondence, as of today:
LO:(edited)What I am specifically looking for is any information in regards to a boat manufacturer that went out of business in 1983.
The problem I have is that the first three characters of my 1982 model boat are "SOL," and the MIC database points to a company that was created in 1989 and has since gone out of business. But, if you review this record, you will see that at the very bottom (under "Comments"), there is a notation that SOL was once assigned to a different boat manufactuer that folded in 1983. That is the boat manufacturer info I am looking for desperately. And the notation says, "PREVIOUSLY ASSIGNED TO SANTA MRN BLD SW BTS: OOB 83 05 09 ADDRESS UPDATE & OOB PER CG-5093 900402.
Here is a link: http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=SOL
So, whatever CG-5093 900402 is, I would like very much to review it. I need to find some important history about my hull.
Please determine exacty what this notation means and let me know. I would very greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
USCG: The "900402" is the date on the CG-5093. That indicates that Florida Dory was determined to be out of business on April 2, 1990. If we had envisioned 20 years ago that our database would, one day, be available to anyone, we probably would have developed notation and terminology more easily understood...
Another dead end..... :(
LO

Danhercules
02-11-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm 99.9% sure Dan's HIN ends in "I" not "1", too.
Roost,can you fix it on the registery?

roostwear
02-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Already did.

roostwear
02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Dude, you give up way too easy. there's a Randy Stowell listed in Casselberry, FL (where SOL was). If you need the contact info, let me know. :D

anger management
02-11-2005, 07:33 PM
o.k after a copple of phone calls i found the current owner of south wind boats.The story is he and a partner bought the buis from a guy named Ron Jennings in 1981,pos nucking futs+four Qs grandpa since then he bought his partner out and still to this day owns it.I talked to him for about a half hour seemed like a pretty nice guy.While they havent produced any bouts in years he stays in contact with his crew and plan to make more someday.hes not interested in selling the buis.he does have records of all boats he made and who they were made for and told me if i give him my hin he will give me the 411 on it.I then asked him if i could give his number to a copple of other guys who may have some more questions he said no problem. As far as the the kevlar thing he said that is false they were all fiber glass.He also indicated that his parter did some crazy things with the hin#and not to try to figure it out the only thing that had to be there was the sol identifying the manufacturer as lakes only indicated no body payed any attention to the rest so it was in a way his own system or lack there of.They apparently made alot of boats to order and some race only stuff its all in his records.So apparently thats good news and bad news the good news is i found him the bad news is he does not wont to sell

Nucking futs
02-11-2005, 07:45 PM
Awesome news. I would really like to talk to the guy.What is his name? Is it Jim Lee?Please give me a pm with your # and i will call you on sat. All you have said is true and my grandpas name was "Don" Jennings. I can't wait to talk to this guy.Thanks a bunch for your hared work and finnally we will get some answers..Tim

FOURQ
02-11-2005, 07:45 PM
o.k after a copple of phone calls i found the current owner of south wind boats.The story is he and a partner bought the buis from a guy named Ron Jennings in 1981,pos nucking futs+four Qs grandpa since then he bought his partner out and still to this day owns it.I talked to him for about a half hour seemed like a pretty nice guy.While they havent produced any bouts in years he stays in contact with his crew and plan to make more someday.hes not interested in selling the buis.he does have records of all boats he made and who they were made for and told me if i give him my hin he will give me the 411 on it.I then asked him if i could give his number to a copple of other guys who may have some more questions he said no problem. As far as the the kevlar thing he said that is false they were all fiber glass.He also indicated that his parter did some crazy things with the hin#and not to try to figure it out the only thing that had to be there was the sol identifying the manufacturer as lakes only indicated no body payed any attention to the rest so it was in a way his own system or lack there of.They apparently made alot of boats to order and some race only stuff its all in his records.So apparently thats good news and bad news the good news is i found him the bad news is he does not wont to sell
ok that sounds like the guy pm me his #.. by the way it was Don Jennings our grandfather...
Shawn

78Southwind
02-11-2005, 07:52 PM
So how many boats did the new owner (SOL) build?

anger management
02-11-2005, 08:10 PM
So how many boats did the new owner (SOL) build?
He didnt have a specific number but did indicate quite a few.

anger management
02-11-2005, 08:14 PM
ok that sounds like the guy pm me his #.. by the way it was Don Jennings our grandfather...
Shawn pmed both off you. gave nf my #if needed

78Southwind
02-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Ok Southwind Bro's lets get those molds back in business :D

LakesOnly
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Jeezus ****in' christ, this is awesome. :jawdrop: Thanks AM, we'll be talking.
LO

78Southwind
02-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Awesome news. I would really like to talk to the guy.What is his name? Is it Jim Lee?Please give me a pm with your # and i will call you on sat. All you have said is true and my grandpas name was "Don" Jennings. I can't wait to talk to this guy.Thanks a bunch for your hared work and finnally we will get some answers..Tim
Ok Southwind Bro's whats the news?

Nucking futs
02-12-2005, 04:39 PM
no news yet jerry, I will be calling Bill on monday and im sure we will talk for awhile.
Paul, when you were telling me about the t-deck top on the tunnel bottom, it was done before the company was sold and im sure they did it as well.
I will post some details after i talk to Bill and see what we can work out.
Keep the fingers crossed...
Tim

LakesOnly
02-12-2005, 05:27 PM
Paul, when you were telling me about the t-deck top on the tunnel bottom, it was done before the company was sold and im sure they did it as well.
Tim
Believable, as I was pretty sure the one I saw at CFW was a '79. I became a little confused when "Bill SOL" mentioned what a bitch it was to graft the T-Deck top to the T/D. He thought my boat was a T/D. When I explained it was an 18 Ft T-Deck, his reply was, "oh I think that's the hull we laid up the least of..." Cool!
I'm so glad he has all the records, and I can't wait to finally learn the history of my Southwind....it's been a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ong road. :) We are supposed to talk again tomorrow, and next time I'm towing past his place I'm supposed to drop by and show him my SOL boat. Let me know if you're coming up and maybe we'll all hook up and go to CFW.
LO

anger management
02-12-2005, 05:57 PM
a tee deck on a T/D would be sweet.Are you refering to new years 05 far west.Bill did mention he was there this year.I saw several T/Ds but didnt see a tee deck.He also said his stuff is a little different than the norm

moneysucker
02-12-2005, 07:17 PM
See if he wants to lease the molds to make a few, Everyone else who owns molds does that. It is an idea.

roostwear
02-12-2005, 09:36 PM
I'll be making a call to see if I can get whatever HIN format was used So I can build the Southwind HIN Decoder. I can set it up similar to the Sanger HIN Decoder (http://www.roostwear.com/sanhin.htm) I'm putting together.

LakesOnly
02-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Talked to "SOL Bill" again tonight.
I gave him my HIN number off my boat and he will get all the history on it for me. We spoke for awhile and he seems to have a pretty good memory about a lot of stuff.
I asked about some specific features in my hull and he replied that most of the 1982 18-foot Formula 1 T-decks were laid up in standard Southwind spec's with the 2x6 engine length stringers, etc., and that they offered a performance option for the 18-foot that used the full length tunnel stringers, floor delete, lighter layup, etc. So he was able to confirm that my hull is a performance prepped special option lightweight lay-up. :D Details of my exact boat will be provided to me later.
His personal boat is a 1983 Southwind Tunnel Dragster and--are you ready for this?--it has a Ford in it! An all aluminum 526 Ford overhead cam engine...yes, an aluminum 526 cammer!
It's nice to finally be getting some history on the elusive 82-up Southwind hulls!
LO

78Southwind
02-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Hey LO
Is Bill (SOL) still willing to lay up a mold? What was the last year a Southwind was built?

dave186
02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
His personal boat is a 1983 Southwind Tunnel Dragster and--are you ready for this?--it has a Ford in it! An all aluminum 526 Ford overhead cam engine...yes, an aluminum 526 cammer!
LO
I like this guy! NF and 4Q will probably not agree. :D

LakesOnly
02-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey LO
Is Bill (SOL) still willing to lay up a mold? What was the last year a Southwind was built?
He thinks he last laid a boat up in 1986, but he is not sure.
In regards to laying up more boats...well...we talked about this for a moment and I'm not sure I am at liberty to say what his feelings are about selling more boats himself, but I will say that Futt's & Q should probably talk to him... ;)
Futts & Q, let me know if your ever coming up this way...
LO

78Southwind
02-17-2005, 08:46 AM
no news yet jerry, I will be calling Bill on monday and im sure we will talk for awhile.
I will post some details after i talk to Bill and see what we can work out.
Keep the fingers crossed...
Tim
Ok Southwind Bro's (back to the top) gives us the good news. :coffeycup

Nucking futs
02-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Its a secret, Can't tell you what i don't know.Hopefully by the weekend we or I should know more details.
Tim

vdrivenman
02-21-2005, 06:32 PM
have a friend who has a southwind for sale.
he looked for a hull id # and since we had no idea what prefixs they start with this is all we could find and i think it is a registration # AZ2787X
paper work says southwind tunnel.
the boat belonged to a rick scannell out of palm springs,ca.the name chet smith also shows up on the title.
think it is betwen an 80-85 model.
it is a tunnel hull maybe a dragster. it needs some work but is starting price is $2000
he is supossed to be sending pic's
email is chevyman233@netzero.net or 409 3132909 (dale)