PDA

View Full Version : Her we gooo!!!!

mister460
05-24-2001, 03:05 PM
Alright guys, I'm finally gonna do it! Someone wants to buy the Jacuzzi YJ out of my boat so I'm gonna be putting in the Berkeley it should have come with. I'm also converting the 460 to a 429 for more revs. And I just happen to have a set of TRW slugs and a crank for a 429. Came out of my truck, which is getting a 460. I kinda like to do EVERYTHING at once I guess. What I need is input from everybody that's done this conversion (Jacuzzi to Berk). I've gotten some response from a few of you already but I'm seeing if I can't work a few more secrets out of you guys! Thanks in advance guys and happy jetting!
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!!"
[This message has been edited by mister460 (edited May 24, 2001).]

ChetCapoli
05-24-2001, 03:49 PM
Are you going with the energizer kit or are you going for the whole pump? Are you buying it used or new?
Chet

MellowYelloW
05-24-2001, 04:02 PM
congrads!! good luck with the transfer! gonna use a place diverter?
brian

MoJetBoPar
05-25-2001, 07:33 AM
Are you gonna change your name to mister429?
Just kidding!
Not to rain on your parade and I'm new to this great pastime but I thought jetters ran faster with cubes/torque versus rpm's? Are you going to a new impellar cut?
[This message has been edited by MoJetBoPar (edited May 25, 2001).]

mister460
05-25-2001, 07:54 AM
Actually my screen name for some other places IS mister429! That's because I've had a 429 in my truck for two years now. Time for a bigger motor though! A 429 makes almost as much torque as the 460 but at a higher rpm. More revs means more water spraying out the jet. I'm going with a complete swap. Jacuzzi YJ out, Berkeley JG in! I've got a friend that's selling me a complete used unit for $350! It works too! It's good to have hook ups I tell you! I'll probably start cutting and glassing the intake cutout next weekend. Oh yeah, a blown 429 will make plenty of grunt. Thats the final plan for the mill. 8-71 adapted to a Weiand Pro Ram bottom. Pretty trick setup! Really cheap too! I'll keep a detailed report of the conversion, pics and all, so I can help anyone else that wants to do the conversion. Place Diverter all the way!! Hydraulic and nozzle inserts too!
"Some guys are just card carrying 1369's!"

montrone
05-29-2001, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mister460:
Actually my screen name for some other places IS mister429! That's because I've had a 429 in my truck for two years now. Time for a bigger motor though! A 429 makes almost as much torque as the 460 but at a higher rpm. More revs means more water spraying out the jet. I'm going with a complete swap. Jacuzzi YJ out, Berkeley JG in! I've got a friend that's selling me a complete used unit for $350! It works too! It's good to have hook ups I tell you! I'll probably start cutting and glassing the intake cutout next weekend. Oh yeah, a blown 429 will make plenty of grunt. Thats the final plan for the mill. 8-71 adapted to a Weiand Pro Ram bottom. Pretty trick setup! Really cheap too! I'll keep a detailed report of the conversion, pics and all, so I can help anyone else that wants to do the conversion. Place Diverter all the way!! Hydraulic and nozzle inserts too!
"Some guys are just card carrying 1369's!"
I also have the same pump Jacuzzi 12YJ but it's the kit.
I called american turbine and asked them how well would a 25' Sleekcraft with a 502 cui move with this jet.
Ron said it should perform pretty good.

froggystyle
06-05-2001, 10:17 PM
A 25' boat with a jet? Define perform pretty good. Will it pull a skiier? I'm curious because I was looking to get a larger boat, but was informed that anything over 22' would be a total slug. I gotta have a jet for socal, so I didn't see that I had a choice.

dcraig
06-06-2001, 08:44 AM
That's also what I was told also for boats larger than your typical 21-22 daycruiser. From what I know, you really need a very large motor like a 540cc motor with tons of torque with a AA or AAA impeller to get any out of the hole or top end performance out of a larger boat. Otherwise, with a 454 or 502 you will have to run very high RPM's to just cruise at a reasonable speed.

montrone
06-06-2001, 01:39 PM
well this is the thing, i was told the pump i have (AmericanTurbine) was a good one, and yes, it does have an "AA" pump, and the engine i have is pushing close to 500HP. I messed up on the cui. it's a 455 bored .90 over and has C heads with an intake that could take (6500 RPM's) a eskay 280 cam, 800 cfm carb, the whole works.
although it wont run 75+ mph it will do 62-65, and if i do more to pump it should go faster, it will get up, from what i am being told. i should have no prob. towing a skiier, the guy i brought it from use to ski with his son on it.
the biggest jet boat i herd so far was a 28 footer that's out there.

dcraig
06-07-2001, 08:16 AM
Is the speed your getting measured on a GPS?

montrone
06-08-2001, 09:02 AM
actualy, i am calculating it off from the MPH gauge, and i gave the specs to superior racing (engine) they dyno tested the engine gave specs on that, then called (ron) americanturbine and he gave specs on jet, and how they will handle the engines HP and from there this is how we got MPH and even the gauge tacs 62mph.
so we didn't just reli on gauge 100%....

Rod
06-08-2001, 09:01 PM
Hey I got a 23ft 9ft wide flatbottom boat handbuilt fiberglass over wood . sbc350 and a berkeley AA . 4000rpm 30mph GPS. I dont pull a skiier but i can carry alot of weight. But Im still work on it ( b impeller?). Rod NC

montrone
06-11-2001, 11:42 AM
yeah, i can crank about 6500 rpm out of the 455.

mister460
06-11-2001, 11:48 AM
Hey all that have done this conversion!!! What type of glass did you use? Roving, cloth, mat, etc.? Did you taper the edges of the intake hole? I need the little details. Thanks guys!!