PDA

View Full Version : 2005/2004 Ktm 525sx......

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Anyone here own this bike? Opinions? Looking to get a bike with better ergo's...I'm 6'2....Currently riding 04 CRF450....I used to have a 97 KTM 360SX back in the day and the bike fit me much better...Help! :cool:

LBZROCKS
02-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Hey mike, I'm kinda looking for the same bike... What's your opinion on the ktm? like a 250..maybe a year or two old? I dont mind the whole 2-stroke thing..

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey mike, I'm kinda looking for the same bike... What's your opinion on the ktm? like a 250..maybe a year or two old? I dont mind the whole 2-stroke thing..
The only KTM I have ever ridden is the same own that I owned previously, a 1997 KTM 360 SX 2-stroke. I loved that bike. The only real downfall when I owned it was replacement parts and fit/finish.. Parts are very pricey and most of the time you have to order them with an extended wait time. The 360 took a special short spark plug, had to wait 3 months for a spark plug! Same thing happened with fork seals, tranny side cover, etc.
Fit / Finish......Aftermarket parts are sometimes hard to fit. I purchased a Pro circuit pipe and the pipe bracket spacing never lined up correctly and the added stress would break the pipe mounts over time. Hard to install skid plate, side plates, etc....
They have always come with trick equipment STOCK which is cool. Brembo brakes, Magura handlebars and levers, aftermarket pipe, and innovative ideas that the other manufacturers wont take a chance on, i.e the current upside down forks were a KTM idea that the other mfg's took years to go over too.
The 250 SX? Well, I personally think its a cool bike. GREAT POWER for a 250. In my opinion though, unless you are buying it just for the larger ergonomics of the bike, I think there are better 250's out there.
Now a days though, any bike you buy, will be a great bike IMO. They are all faster and better handling then must of us could ever use to there limits...

Kilrtoy
02-06-2005, 10:48 AM
After reading what you wrote, I wouldnever buy one, cant afford that much down time.
Are you supposed to be racing today up north....

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 11:02 AM
After reading what you wrote, I wouldnever buy one, cant afford that much down time.
Are you supposed to be racing today up north....
Yes, but I think it is better now and they are the only manufacturer that is building bikes that fit bigger guys (Not 5'5 japanese guys)
Only did the first early morning race...Tried to sneak into the Vet race and they wouldnt let me....I'm tired now anyhow...

Kilrtoy
02-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Cool, Im a yamaha guy, but I dont race, :) nor would I , Im to damn old to hurt myself.....

THOR
02-06-2005, 11:24 AM
I feel your pain brother. I am 6'3", 225 lbs and have a hard time riding as well. But, after riding/racing many different brand, Honda was and still is the best. KTM is way too expensive and maintenance is horrible. Yamaha makes a great 450, but when I raced the YZF I used to blow a tire per race. Honda still make the best, and I am fastest and most comfortable riding red. Just my opinion.

NashvilleBound
02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Anyone here own this bike? Opinions? Looking to get a bike with better ergo's...I'm 6'2....Currently riding 04 CRF450....I used to have a 97 KTM 360SX back in the day and the bike fit me much better...Help! :cool:
Ok...this is good. I am looking at getting a CR450F, but if I'm 6'3" 240 am I going to be sorry?

THOR
02-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Ok...this is good. I am looking at getting a CR450F, but if I'm 6'3" 240 am I going to be sorry?
No, but you have to set up your suspension for a higher ride height as well as for your weight. You'll be fine if you do that.

mojavegreen
02-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Ktm's have gotten better with parts and are easier to work on than the honda. If you are doing straight MX then stay with the Honda. If you are planning to do some trails then I would go with the KTM Exc. The SX models are red sticker...EXC and MXC are green. Blame that on the DMV. Any questions about what to get check out www.ktmtalk.com.

NashvilleBound
02-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks I will check out the KTM too. We do a little of everything. Nothing to extreme, damn I'm 40. Broke arms, 1 leg, 2 cracked ribs, riding in my 20's thanks.... I'm out there for mt kids....and to show off now and then ;)

Havasu47
02-06-2005, 12:17 PM
My neighbor rides KTM's exclusivlely, and has the 525 and loves it. But he puts $$$$$$ into the motor, rims, suspension, etc. My son rides an '05 CRF250 and I ride a CR250. We both dont like the way the KTM's feel but that is strictly personal preference not that the bike isn't good. We are both 6'2 and love the Honda's. I will be getting an '05 CRF450 soon. I have ridden the '04 CRF450 and like it alot. The only first thing we do, aside from the obvious sag and susp. settings, is put on the Renthal "RC tall" Fat Bars. There are 2 "RC" bends, we like the taller ones. They make all the difference for tall guys.
He races MX and we both race some GP's and Hare n' Hounds.
In2, where do you race? Will you be at Laughlin for the Best in The Desert race in March?

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Yamaha makes a great 450, but when I raced the YZF I used to blow a tire per race.
Interesting...Never heard of that before? Do you think that was a Yamaha issue?

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Ktm's have gotten better with parts and are easier to work on than the honda. If you are doing straight MX then stay with the Honda. If you are planning to do some trails then I would go with the KTM Exc. The SX models are red sticker...EXC and MXC are green. Blame that on the DMV. Any questions about what to get check out www.ktmtalk.com.
Great link!!! Thanks!

rvrjunkie
02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
What is the price for one of those new KTM 525 ?

jeepinscott
02-06-2005, 12:40 PM
I have a 520 sx with the 540 kit and a six speed. I am also 6'4" and a slice of pizza under 300lbs. KTM's were made for people 6' plus. Jap bikes were made for 5'5"ers. I came from a YZ426 that was built and set up for a enthusiastic eater, and I love that bike, but it pales in comparison to the orange one. I still have the 426, and can ride it as well as the KTM, but not as comfortably and not as long.
Parts and service may have been a problem in the 90's, but not today. I have never waited on parts more than 2-3 days. I can't say that about the YZ. I would go to Malcolm Smith Motorsports every day of the week and twice on sunday to stay away from the lines and poor customer service of Chapparral.
I would not buy a Honda 4-stroke other than an xr. Honda's have had nothing but problems with their intake valve's since day one. They call the every 12 hour complete valve job 'routine maintenance.' I call it a design flaw. I've heard that they fixed the fork rake on the 05's, but I have not ridden one yet. I rode 03-04's and they sucked, considerably less power than the YZ or KTM and bad suspension to boot.
KTM's have different geometry than the jap bikes, not better or worse, just different. I am used to it now, and am faster on it in the rough stuff at speed. The only problem with a red sticker is if you ride in the summer. I don't, it's too hot. Mine is an 01', so it's green for me.
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/files/jeepinscott/20041224083048_katoom.jpg

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 12:41 PM
He races MX and we both race some GP's and Hare n' Hounds.
In2, where do you race? Will you be at Laughlin for the Best in The Desert race in March?
I am racing the BIG 6 series put on by District 37 and the AMA. This months race was in Taft, Ca. Great series with very good tracks and support.
Unfortunately I will not be in Laughlin.....Probably in Havasu!

jstwkd
02-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I own a 04 MXC 450...I just switched to the EXC tank to make it a little sleaker...as far as maintaning the bike..I ride with 6 others on KTMs 1 on a yamaha 450 and 2 on honda 04 CRF 450....The hondas are allways breaking and needing to be maintained.wheels,valves,cluthes,etc..We ride trails and beat the shit out of our bikes....Any of the new 4 stock rfs bikes need to have the valves adjusted on a shcedualed maintanance.I have heard of a ton of the hondas taking eveything out if not kepyt up on..I also see the hondas are really track bikes they dont lug up the hills when you need them to..I geussing thats why they eat clutchs..I am 5'11 245..on a 04 KTM 450....I wish I would have got a 525 but this is what was left and I wanted it that day.....the 525 just has that slightly more grunt...as far as parts..we have ordered just about everything they have to offer out of the hard parts cataloge...575 stoker kit,clutches,exhaust,wheels,plastics,gpr dampner,etc...allways here in a timely fashion...We also keep some minor spare parts laying around just in case...but I love the bike its an all around set up....sorry about the spelling and shortnes..my son is sitting on my lap typing with me...lol
not alot of fun for me! :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/281IM000014.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/281IM000472.JPG

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I have a 520 sx with the 540 kit and a six speed. I am also 6'4" and a slice of pizza under 300lbs. KTM's were made for people 6' plus. Jap bikes were made for 5'5"ers. I came from a YZ426 that was built and set up for a enthusiastic eater, and I love that bike, but it pales in comparison to the orange one. I still have the 426, and can ride it as well as the KTM, but not as comfortably and not as long.
Great info...Thanks. I guess I just need to ride one and see what it is like.
Have you ridden a stock 525? How does it compare to yours and your Yz426?

jeepinscott
02-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I have the 18 mm offset triples, so it handles better on the tight stuff than a stocker and I mostly ride desert.
The stockers are great, right out of the box.

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I want the 525 SX. It comes with the 4-speed transmission, what do u guys think about that.
I usually ride Grand prix's, desert, and some motocross tracks. For those of you in the so cal area, LACR, I5-MX and Glen Helen are the tracks I ride.
Is 4 gears enough? Does the 525 have alot of compression braking?

jeepinscott
02-06-2005, 01:17 PM
The 426's are a lot faster than even the 450's. They calmed them down in 05' to be more like a honda, and honda stepped them up to be more like the yamaha. :boxingguy
The tweaked yamaha has better top end than the stock ktm had, but does not have the bottom end. I really think it's all about comfort, all the new racing four strokes are nice, but what fits you is what matters. If you are in socal, you can ride mine sometime.

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 01:21 PM
If you are in socal, you can ride mine sometime.
Where do you ride normally?

RiverRatMike
02-06-2005, 01:32 PM
If you want to do valve adjustments ever 8hrs or less of riding then own the KTM or the Honda. Yamaha by far has the best valve train out there, and reliablilty. I have a 04 WR450F and just love it. Super fast and 1000 miles of hard desert riding now on it and haven't had to do one thing to it!

cola
02-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Just got home from a ride. One of my friends rides a 520 KTM, nice bike. 5 of us went for a local ride. Lots of fun. If anyone wan't to do a local semi private virgin trail ride let me know. We park at my brothers house. It's tight & hand guards are a must. Let me know. I will be in Havasu next week but the following Sun. we are going. :rolleyes:
Late, Mike

RACRJEFF
02-06-2005, 01:37 PM
I want the 525 SX. It comes with the 4-speed transmission, what do u guys think about that.
I usually ride Grand prix's, desert, and some motocross tracks. For those of you in the so cal area, LACR, I5-MX and Glen Helen are the tracks I ride.
Is 4 gears enough? Does the 525 have alot of compression braking?
the 525 is a okay bike , my workout partner and factory ktm rider kurt caselli rides a 300 and 450 for some tracks, we were having problems with the 525s last year , i ride one in the desert and i like it okay, i was faster on a team green kx 500 for sure cause the 525 wont pull the sand like the 500 would i weigh 245 and ride open pro, and to tell u the truth i liked the compression better on the 520 as far as ergos the honda hits harder and is skinnier, the 4 speed gear box is enough russ and ty run 4 speeds on thier 450 yz's but why not buy a mxc bigger tank and coils etc. i had a after market tank on my bike and took it off and just run the stock mxc tank i cant tell a difference only reason . i run an i.m.s. was for the dry break as far as stroking them no need your still not gonna pull a kx 500 in the sand and you mess up the reliability if we were to stroke kurts bike he would kill them in a matter of 2or 3 races as far as maintence the same is the jap bikes, i know people were having big probs with the crf's a couple years ago if u ride big 6 in the vet class ull know v2 pro rick odonnell he smoked his crf a few times so to each his own i guess , hey ***boaters sorry post is so long, boats i listen bikes i know lol take care yall

jeepinscott
02-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Are you talking the 13th or the 20th? I am in Yucaipa!

cola
02-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Are you talking the 13th or the 20th? I am in Yucaipa!
The 20th. Call me. 909 380-9066
Mike

ryantparks
02-06-2005, 02:10 PM
My buddy is selling a 2003 525exc that is mint condtion and Ca. street legal.
Has 40 hours on it and 1000 miles. Looking to $8000.00
If anyone is interested you can e-mail him at emailtheharveys@cox.net

mojavegreen
02-06-2005, 02:19 PM
What problems with last years 525? New bikes get valves checked after 3 hrs then after that it is 15 hrs then 30 hrs+. It takes an hour or so to do the valve job. Very easy to do.

jeepinscott
02-06-2005, 02:36 PM
Where do you ride normally?
I do desert like ocotillo and johnson valley, desert hot springs and yucca valley.

THOR
02-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Interesting...Never heard of that before? Do you think that was a Yamaha issue?
No, it was an issue of the wrong rim size. It really didnt have anything to do with being a Yamaha.
BTW, the Hondas are notorious for having $hitty valve trains. They require adjustment about every 3 rides. It sucks from what I hear. Yamahas are much more maintenance free.
Those KTMs that were posted are tricked out too. The black excel rims make those things look bad a$$.

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 03:33 PM
These are the bikes I have owned in the last few years.....
1997 KTM 360 SX
1999 YAMAHA YZ400F
2002 HONDA CRF450R
2004 HONDA CRF450R
As far as reliabilty and maintenance is concerned, my 99 and 02 had hundreds of hours on them and other than doing oil and filter changes religiously, I never had any engine issues. I should have, but never did any valve adjustments on eithier bike and they both ran great for a long time.
The KTM felt the best, the YZF was the easiest to ride, and the CRF's have had the highest quality, by far.
I agree, those 525's look bad ass for sure!

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Anyone have a hook-up on a 2005 KTM 525 SX?

Jrocket
02-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Ive never had any trouble with any of my Honda's.No valve issue's at all.

Havasu47
02-06-2005, 06:19 PM
We ride twice every week. One day at the track and one in the desert. Twice a month race at a track.
1) 04 CRF450
1) 03 YZF450
1) 05 CRF250
1) 99 CR 250
NEVER any valve issues with any of the 4 strokes and never a break down.
Everyone has their own brand preference. I would agree that KTM's are one of the better trail/desert bikes. IMO the KX500 is the best desert bike ever. For GrandPrix or track I would ride Honda.
These are just MY preferences after 30 years of riding and it only works for me.
IN2MX, you should ride all the bikes you are interested in, in the type of riding you prefere.
We race some of the Big 6 also. Which ones are you going to? We will be at the 29 Palms one.

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 06:28 PM
We ride twice every week. One day at the track and one in the desert. Twice a month race at a track.
1) 04 CRF450
1) 03 YZF450
1) 05 CRF250
1) 99 CR 250
NEVER any valve issues with any of the 4 strokes and never a break down.
Everyone has their own brand preference. I would agree that KTM's are one of the better trail/desert bikes. IMO the KX500 is the best desert bike ever. For GrandPrix or track I would ride Honda.
These are just MY preferences after 30 years of riding and it only works for me.
IN2MX, you should ride all the bikes you are interested in, in the type of riding you prefere.
We race some of the Big 6 also. Which ones are you going to? We will be at the 29 Palms one.
I am doing all 6....I think the next is in Glen Helen...

Woodster
02-06-2005, 07:20 PM
BTW, the Hondas are notorious for having $hitty valve trains. They require adjustment about every 3 rides. It sucks from what I hear. Yamahas are much more maintenance free.
Im sorry but this thread is driving me nuts so I had to respond... Ive been racing MX for almost 20 years. I had a 04 CRF450 and now have an 05. My 04 had at least 150hrs on it..Never ever touched the valves. The engine ran flawlessly the entire time I owned it.I race Vet Expert so im not very easy on my bikes either. To say that Hondas are notorious for having valve probs and having to adjust them after 3 rides??? :yuk: Thats simply not true. I know the 02 models had a few issues.But the 03-05's have been great.The Honda is by far the best production MXer ive ridden to date. If your looking for a trail/ desert bike then by all means get a KTM. They are great bikes also but I just cant get used to the euro feel.. Ride them all and see whats best for you. The 05CRF is alot better then the 04..Try one

IN2MX
02-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Im sorry but this thread is driving me nuts so I had to respond... Ive been racing MX for almost 20 years. I had a 04 CRF450 and now have an 05. My 04 had at least 150hrs on it..Never ever touched the valves. The engine ran flawlessly the entire time I owned it.I race Vet Expert so im not very easy on my bikes either. To say that Hondas are notorious for having valve probs and having to adjust them after 3 rides??? :yuk: Thats simply not true. I know the 02 models had a few issues.But the 03-05's have been great.The Honda is by far the best production MXer ive ridden to date. If your looking for a trail/ desert bike then by all means get a KTM. They are great bikes also but I just cant get used to the euro feel.. Ride them all and see whats best for you. The 05CRF is alot better then the 04..Try one
Really? I am riding an 04 CRF now....What is the difference?

Woodster
02-06-2005, 08:44 PM
The 05 is the 4th generation frame..It feels alot slimmer and wieghs around 7 pounds less. Also the engine has alot more "snap" then the 04 engine..Its alot better of a bike. Also the suspension is really good stock. Have u rode a CRF250?? Imagine that bike with a 450 engine in it..

THOR
02-06-2005, 08:57 PM
the 525 is a okay bike , my workout partner and factory ktm rider kurt caselli rides a 300 and 450 for some tracks, we were having problems with the 525s last year , i ride one in the desert and i like it okay, i was faster on a team green kx 500 for sure cause the 525 wont pull the sand like the 500 would i weigh 245 and ride open pro, and to tell u the truth i liked the compression better on the 520 as far as ergos the honda hits harder and is skinnier, the 4 speed gear box is enough russ and ty run 4 speeds on thier 450 yz's but why not buy a mxc bigger tank and coils etc. i had a after market tank on my bike and took it off and just run the stock mxc tank i cant tell a difference only reason . i run an i.m.s. was for the dry break as far as stroking them no need your still not gonna pull a kx 500 in the sand and you mess up the reliability if we were to stroke kurts bike he would kill them in a matter of 2or 3 races as far as maintence the same is the jap bikes, i know people were having big probs with the crf's a couple years ago if u ride big 6 in the vet class ull know v2 pro rick odonnell he smoked his crf a few times so to each his own i guess , hey ***boaters sorry post is so long, boats i listen bikes i know lol take care yall
I have ridden with Ty on some of the same dirt, and if you want a bike like his you will need another 7K. His bikes are way tricked out and better than any of us will ride on.
I have always been partial to the 2 strokes, so the KX500 gets my vote all day for open class bikes, but it wont handle like a CRF.

dave186
02-06-2005, 09:35 PM
my friend had an 04 525 SX. i wasnt a big fan of the chassis for high speed type stuff (desert) we worked for a company that is a leader in the WP suspension and it was kinda hard to get it to work properly. the older chassis seemed to work better for us. other thing is the 4 speed is limiting, but you can have a 6 speed for pretty cheap (~$200 parts i think)
as far as ergos for a big guy, i dont think you can beat the KTM. i myself am 6'2" and almost 300lbs the hondas and yamahas are for sure not designed by the big austrians.
personally i ride a Husaberg FC550. i have grown attached to it and find that it suits the needs of my fat ass perfectly and i see no reason to upgrade. the CRFs and YZFs are approching the power levels of my might 550, but they havent been able to touch the torque, throttle responce and simplicity of the berg.
parts price and availability on the KTMs i think is right on par with the japanese mfgs. but it comes down to your local dealer. if you have a crappy dealer, your gonna have a crappy experience. i dont get any of my factory parts from the local dealer, i deal with a guy down in Vacaville CA cause the local dealer here sucks.
bottom line IMHO, the KTM isnt a bad choice if you feel cramped on a jap bike and dont mind being a bit different.

Jrocket
02-06-2005, 09:40 PM
The 05 is the 4th generation frame..It feels alot slimmer and wieghs around 7 pounds less. Also the engine has alot more "snap" then the 04 engine..Its alot better of a bike. Also the suspension is really good stock. Have u rode a CRF250?? Imagine that bike with a 450 engine in it..
Very true.I have an 05 CRF450 and an 05 CRF250,they are very much alike.Awesome bikes.
Woodster check your pm's.

Dribble
02-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I have a 97 360 KTM and have spent alot of time on a 04 525. I would say that the suspension is a little better on the 360. The right side up forks work pretty well when their dialed in. Overall the 525 is probably easier to ride.

taxman
02-07-2005, 08:37 AM
If any body wants KTM stuff I can get shit at cost my # is 866-294-3173

Sherpa
02-07-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm currently riding an 02 XR650r...... yeah, the BRP.... I got back into bikes
this past year from about a 22 year hiatus... And the last bike I owned was
a nice Yamaha 175 enduro, a 1970 DT......... so, to say, the 650 was a huge
change..... Mind you, I'm about 285, @ 6' 2"......... I do love the bottom-end
of the big XR, but most of the riding we get to do is Holister, or CLear Creek,
or comparable to clear creek terrain....... on the open I can run pretty good,
in the tight stuff, I still do pretty good, (I'm not an agressive rider) but the
BRP weighs alot, so I don't really "crash", I just fall over from time to time....
All my buds are on lighter bikes..... 02 200EXC, an 05 250EXC, and a 2002
WR426........
I'm partial to maybe a new 300 EXC, or maybe a 450, or 525 EXC..........
I dual-sported my XR, and it's current, there's alot of add-ons, and it's lo-
miles...................
any recommendations-? thanks guys,
--Sherpa

ridebig
02-07-2005, 09:14 AM
There is an article in the March issue of dirt rider mag. on the 525 MXC. Its a plan for a "one bike fits all types of riding". I have an 04 525 MXC and love it other than the seat is hard as a rock! The MXC has the same 1st four gears the sx has and a 5th and 6th gear like an exc. I'm 6'2 200lbs.

IN2MX
02-07-2005, 09:37 AM
There is an article in the March issue of dirt rider mag. on the 525 MXC. Its a plan for a "one bike fits all types of riding". I have an 04 525 MXC and love it other than the seat is hard as a rock! The MXC has the same 1st four gears the sx has and a 5th and 6th gear like an exc. I'm 6'2 200lbs.
Would love to talk to you more......Tried to PM you but your Pm's are off????

ridebig
02-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Sorry about that IN2Mx, Please try again! Looking forward to it.
Tim

RACRJEFF
02-07-2005, 11:02 AM
but everyone has to admit it was lil small for big guys but the funnest bike to ride and the bike caselli is trying to imitate with his built 300 is the 380 sx/mxc what a blast that thin was almost 500 power 250 weight scott meyers would smoek the 4 strokes to the first corner on that thing i hd a 01 and acceleration wise would spank my 525 i also had a brief stint ona 426 cool fun bike to but for g.p.'s cant beat a 450 honda that is a cool bike for sure the 525 will never moto like one , a good buddy of mine jimmy lamastus rode for ktm in the 4 stroke nationals and he said the crf are so slim and light he says im at a disadvantage LOL

ULTRA21XS
02-07-2005, 12:44 PM
in2mx.... I use to work for a KTM dealer and it was always hard to get parts.....If you are going to race desert i would not suggest the 4speed...but if your only going to do moto go for it.....As far as fit and finish you can not beat the hondas....Hey i am in Valencia...we should hit the track one day...If you evey use to shop at Dick Allens then i have probally met ya...or N-Style for that matter......
Travis
ULTRA21XS

IN2MX
02-07-2005, 12:56 PM
in2mx.... I use to work for a KTM dealer and it was always hard to get parts.....If you are going to race desert i would not suggest the 4speed...but if your only going to do moto go for it.....As far as fit and finish you can not beat the hondas....Hey i am in Valencia...we should hit the track one day...If you evey use to shop at Dick Allens then i have probally met ya...or N-Style for that matter......
Travis
ULTRA21XS
Yeah, I go into Dick allen's all the time for Honda stuff. Yes, we should go riding definately....I never have enough guys to ride with...

ULTRA21XS
02-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Well Pm Me Anytime And We Can Hit The Track

cola
02-12-2005, 03:31 PM
A little ride local on Sun about 8:00 if anyone is up for it. We leave out of my brothers place in Calimesa. 380-9066
Mike

Jrocket
02-12-2005, 04:37 PM
A little ride local on Sun about 8:00 if anyone is up for it. We leave out of my brothers place in Calimesa. 380-9066
Mike
If I wasnt racing tomorrow I would be there.friends of mine live in Cherry valley and tell me theres some great riding out there.Maybe some other weekend would be good.

LakesOnly
02-12-2005, 05:08 PM
I worked for years at a Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki/KTM/Husaberg/Cannondale dealership as a service technician.
KTM has come a long, long way from back in the early seventies when the Penton Family used to import KTM's and slap the Penton badge on the gas tank.
I also used to build and race two strokes. Bring me any two stroke, grind all the identifying marks off of it. Tell me how it runs and also what you want it to do, and I'll make it happen. I've seen 'em all and ported 'em all. That being said, I have to tell you that the new KTM 2-stroke motors (like the 125SX) are to die for. They are works of art inside and this includes the little water pumper 65SX which has super aggressive port timing and port architechure that no other 65cc bike offers. Even their little 50cc bike comes in a version that KTM claims puts out 13HP.
Now about their 4-strokes. I think they are the most unreliable, poorly manufactured piece of shiit dirt bikes I have seen, next to Husaberg (who has since been purchased by KTM). It's really too bad, because they produce great power and come with several gear ratio options (between the models) and just run pretty good. BUT they are 1) very unreliable, 2)have very high service maintenance requirements, 3) are not "service friendly" in several areas when the maintenance is being performed, 4) parts pricing is downright perverse markup caplitalization. Among all the manufacturers carried by this one dealership that I worked at, more KTM's came in for warranty work than all the others combined. Add to that the ongoing backorder of parts, etc. Need an oil filter for your KTM? How about $32.
I like their two-stroke bikes, though.
LO

cola
02-12-2005, 05:15 PM
If I wasnt racing tomorrow I would be there.friends of mine live in Cherry valley and tell me theres some great riding out there.Maybe some other weekend would be good.
Next Sunday, same time ?

Outnumbered
02-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Some people on here seem to be talking out of their ass. Oil filters for my 2004 KTM 450 EXC cost $6 each and I can get them in a day or two. I just ordered a stock OEM pipe for my bike and I got it in 4 days with free shipping. I could have paid more and got it over night. You have to know where to go to get the parts. As far as reliability just watch the Dakar Rally and see what those guys run for 5,000 miles thru the desert. Valves do not have to be adjusted every 8 hours, just the first 8-15 hours and then about every 20-40 hours you should check clearances. Hondas are not doing well with their valves in the new 4-strokes BTW. The WRs are good bikes but ride one and then ride a KTM and you can feel the difference in the ergos. I'm 6'1" and about 240# and I like the 450EXC (same dimensions and approximate weight as a 525), it feels right for my size. Go to www.KTMtalk.com and read up. More info than you want to know, good and bad. Surf the other boards like www.thumpertalk.com and get info on the other bikes you are considering. You will find that every manufacturer has their issues. Maybe KTM had issues in the old days but now its about the best bike you can buy and parts are all over the net at reasonable prices. Try www.cyclezonektm.com .
I would buy another KTM in a heartbeat. Don't listen to all the BS from people that don't even own one, just do your research on KTMtalk and thumpertalk and come to your own conclusion. See if you can ride a few bikes too before you buy.
Good luck,
OL

Outnumbered
02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Here are some KTM reviews:
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list_mfg.asp?mfg=10&cat=1&catdesc=Motorcycles&mfgname=KTM
or check this out, you can do a head to head rate and compare. It looks like the KTM450 gets much higher ratings than the KTM525. They are essentially the same bike with one having a larger bore. The 2004 KTM 450SX vs the 2004 WR450 actually rates the KTM as more reliable. I'm not sure where these stats come from but the site is very useful for researching bikes and specs on bikes.
http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=21239
OL

NashvilleBound
02-13-2005, 06:25 AM
Some people on here seem to be talking out of their ass. Oil filters for my 2004 KTM 450 EXC cost $6 each and I can get them in a day or two. I just ordered a stock OEM pipe for my bike and I got it in 4 days with free shipping. I could have paid more and got it over night. You have to know where to go to get the parts. As far as reliability just watch the Dakar Rally and see what those guys run for 5,000 miles thru the desert. Valves do not have to be adjusted every 8 hours, just the first 8-15 hours and then about every 20-40 hours you should check clearances. Hondas are not doing well with their valves in the new 4-strokes BTW. The WRs are good bikes but ride one and then ride a KTM and you can feel the difference in the ergos. I'm 6'1" and about 240# and I like the 450EXC (same dimensions and approximate weight as a 525), it feels right for my size. Go to www.KTMtalk.com and read up. More info than you want to know, good and bad. Surf the other boards like www.thumpertalk.com and get info on the other bikes you are considering. You will find that every manufacturer has their issues. Maybe KTM had issues in the old days but now its about the best bike you can buy and parts are all over the net at reasonable prices. Try www.cyclezonektm.com .
I would buy another KTM in a heartbeat. Don't listen to all the BS from people that don't even own one, just do your research on KTMtalk and thumpertalk and come to your own conclusion. See if you can ride a few bikes too before you buy.
Good luck,
OL
Thanks for the links...very informative!

Racer277
02-13-2005, 10:08 AM
But you'll get my opinion anyway.
:D
I've done the Big 6 series for the last 2 years. This year I'm taking a break (and hating it).
In 03 I tried my buddies 525SX. At the time, it was the only electric start, and it was lighter than the YZ. Much lower seat that a YZ also. The CRF was still hard to start back then. The bike was sweet, and more power than anyone needs (I've also tested a few 650's).
For me at 5'8" It was the best at the time, now the CRF or X may be better.
The big change since then is they have manipulated the races in benefit of 4 strokes (no more dead engine starts).
The 525SX is a little old in the tooth compared to the new CRF. But it is still an awesome bike for the GP's. At the fast tracks like 29palms, the 525 prolly gets the nod still, but you will suffer at Glen Helen and LACR.
For a play bike, it would be a blast.
At the GP's there is plenty of KTM representation, so getting emergency parts shouldn't be a problem.
S