PDA

View Full Version : keyway for prop

76cole
02-06-2005, 05:50 PM
almost got the boat ready to fire up should just have to add gas and fine tune and i should be set to go. but first i need to install the prop on the shaft and i do not have a keyway for it. how do you determine how long they are? someone told me to make one out of a old screw driver shaft and grind it to fit but i do not know how long or what type of taper to put on it. any one know how long or can i just buy one somewhere? thanks
76cole :cool:

Dimarco21
02-06-2005, 05:58 PM
I use a 1/4" shank craftsman screwdriver, and chop it to the length you need.
I put the prop on with no key and measure from the end of the prop to the end of the prop shaft. Then I reinstall the prop with the key in it and remeasure. Hopefully you get the same measurement. if you don't cut the key down a bit until it fits and the prop is resting on the tapered shaft 100%.

76cole
02-06-2005, 06:02 PM
do you taper cut the end of the key? thanks
76cole :lightsabe

Dimarco21
02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
I just rounded both ends to match the keyway radius cut in the prop shaft.
It also gives you a longer key. Does it matter? I'm not sure, it's just what I do.

Sanger D
02-06-2005, 07:00 PM
just make sure its chrome venadium,stuff is really hard,you should just barely be able to move the key front to back(barely)and coat everything with anti seize and of course use a new nyloc nut and pin.

76cole
02-06-2005, 07:32 PM
how long do you make the key? do you make it as wide as the prop or do you make it to fit into the prop shaft keyway slot? thanks
76cole :220v:

Moneypitt
02-06-2005, 07:50 PM
First, you do not need to install the prop to fire the motor. V drive is neutraled anyway so the shaft may turn slowly with the gear oil. 2nd, go to a hardware store and buy some 1/4 inch "keystock". The idea of using part of a screwdriver is scarry......As mentioned, establish some sort of measurement as to prop fit without the key in place, and make sure the prop fits the same with the key in, otherwise you may be riding on some of the taper, and the key, not all the way onto the taper. As to when to mount the prop, a lot of v drivers don't put the prop on until just before launch, and remove it prior to leaving the lake/river for the trip home. It seems there are road hazzards to the prop if left on while on the road.....So, fire it up, get the key stock, make it fit the shaft keyway as close as possible and use the anti sieze and new nut/cotter pin............MP

76cole
02-06-2005, 08:45 PM
got it all the way on. nice and tight. thanks for your help dimarco21 cut the key down a little bit and it all went on smooth.
76cole :hammer2:

77Eliminator
02-06-2005, 08:45 PM
For less than 10 bucks you get the key , lock nut and cotter pin
http://www.rexmar.com/images/page136.jpg

syndicate
02-07-2005, 07:03 AM
The idea of using part of a screwdriver is scarry......
I'm not dissing on anyone, but Greg Gilday uses a craftsman screwdriver in his TAH with no problems. He says that the screwdriver is case hardened whereas the keystock is plain old stainless steel. :)

WILDERTHANU
02-07-2005, 08:55 AM
WE'VE ALWAYS USED CRAFTSMAN SCREWDRIVERS TO MAKE OUR KEYS....

fltflyn
02-07-2005, 09:02 AM
us to. from promods to lake boats. never have broke one.(knock on wood)twisted the keyway in a shaft once and barely had a mark on the old screw driver. good stuff.

Moneypitt
02-07-2005, 04:24 PM
OKAY, Okay, I stand corrected. I was just trying to prevent someone from taking a Tiwan type screwdriver, making a key, and regretting it. Quality is quality, but I'll stick to the steel keystock.....MP

ColeTR1
02-07-2005, 05:49 PM
I use a 1/4" shank craftsman screwdriver, and chop it to the length you need..
:) :) :)

76cole
02-07-2005, 07:04 PM
good old craftsman takes a beating and just keeps tick :messedup:
76cole :mix:

GofastRacer
02-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Don't cheap out on key stock, I learned that the hard way!. I bought a stick from Tom Bentley and it's the good shit and the size is perfect fit!..

Sanger D
02-08-2005, 07:58 AM
DO NOT use stainless steel key stock,if "and probably will" it breaks ,you will weld your prop to the shaft and its a mutha fruka to gettem seperated,Iknow guys who use the screw driver method and have had zero problems( on top fuel and alchohal ) applications,just make sure its CHROME VENADIUM steel,the shits super hard, :D