PDA

View Full Version : Solidworks gurus... Question for you...

Froggystyle
02-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Any Solidworks Gurus out there know how to import a JPG???
I am trying to teach myself to finish off this damn billet work.

mickeyfinn
02-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Is Jpeg the only option you have? If so you can "insert" the jpeg and then trace it. Then you can extrude using the sketch. If you have the original in a format which will allow you to export a .dxf file it will go straight in. You need vector graphics to bring it straight in without sketching (tracing) over it.

Infomaniac
02-06-2005, 08:08 PM
You might need a Rastor to Vector conversion.
I had Hijaak many moons back that would do that.
Do not have a program that will do that any more.
Let me check with my software folks tomorrow.
We have had smoe folks trying to sell us Solidworks for quite a while now. They left a demo copy.

Froggystyle
02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Actually, my specific problem is that I have an Adobe Illustrator .ai file that I am trying to export to Solidworks. For some reason, it won't let it import, even as a dxf or dwg file. It is killing me..

wsuwrhr
02-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Vector conversion program.
wintopo.com
Brian

mtndewdrops
02-07-2005, 06:43 AM
Dump SolidWorks and get a seat of Pro/ENGINEER :D

THOR
02-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Froggy,
we use solidworks here all the time. I'll ask the engineers that use it and I'll get back with you.

Tremor Therapy
02-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey Wes,
Solidworks is the only software we use, and when I called the Engineering Manager and asked your question, he immediately said to save whatever file you have into bitmap format. Use the insert object feature, and viola!
At least thats what he said! Good luck!
Alan

Froggystyle
02-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks folks... I will try that.
The other thing I am trying to work on is how to reduce an extrude that I have already done. It is at 1" and I want to bring it down to .75".

malibuken
02-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Edit the extrude feature, type in your new value and accept it. (highlite the feature in the manager tree or in the graphics window and right click to edit)

malibuken
02-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Dump SolidWorks and get a seat of Pro/ENGINEER :D
Do not listen to this guy, he was brain washed with that Pro stuff. :D :D
Just hire someone who knows SW to do your design stuff, full time and gets free rides in all test boats. ;) Did I say I knew SW? :D

malibuken
02-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Actually, my specific problem is that I have an Adobe Illustrator .ai file that I am trying to export to Solidworks. For some reason, it won't let it import, even as a dxf or dwg file. It is killing me..
This goes along with what Mickeyfinn said.
You could save the Illustrator file as a pdf open it in Acrobat and insert object directly from Acrobat.
You can also insert jpgs directly from Photo Editor.
(depending on which version of SW you are using)

mtndewdrops
02-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Do not listen to this guy, he was brain washed with that Pro stuff. :D :D :D
I just want to sit in front of the one that Pays the most money...

572Daytona
02-07-2005, 02:58 PM
I've never used Solidworks, but I found this and it may be of some help:
http://www.javelin-tech.com/main/support/pdf/importingdwg-dxf.pdf

ColeTR1
02-07-2005, 05:35 PM
You need CAD Mover here is a Link
CAD Mover (http://www.kandusoftware.com/products/cadmover.html)
The Adobe file need to be a EPS file witch is vector. I can convert it for you PM me.

Magic34
02-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Edit the extrude feature, type in your new value and accept it. (highlite the feature in the manager tree or in the graphics window and right click to edit)
That's what I would have done.