PDA

View Full Version : "HOT" Radio

rsr
02-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Question about hooking up a radio in the boat. Do most run their radios "hot" - similiar to the bilge, blower, lights where no key is needed for the radio to run, just turn it on or off - or do most run the radio to the accessory position - meaning the key would need to be on to hear the tunes? Had new radio installed recently, was hooked up so that it runs on accessory, key on. However just noticed that hour meter runs on accessory (I know, there's a thread about this right now on the sandbar), and want to make sure I've got mine set-up right. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

RiverDave
02-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Most setups I've ever seen run it what you'd call "hot." No key needed.. Then when you turn off the batteries for storage is when everything goes dead.
RD

Havasu Hangin'
02-07-2005, 03:12 PM
I usually use a dedicated acc switch, with the power for that switch being supplied by the distribution block from the stereo batteries (not the dash wiring).
Less noise that way.
Also, if you wire your fans off the acc switch, the fans will only run when you want them to.

riverbound
02-07-2005, 04:04 PM
I usually run them "hot" It make sit less confusing when you are drunk :rollside:

rsr
02-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys - that's what I figured - guess I gotta switch some wires.