PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler feed line size

franky
02-07-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a 470 BBC with an 8-71 and Blower shop Intercooler that I am dropping in my 19' Daytoina Jet. It makes 844 HP. I was planning on plumbing the intercoioler with -10 line/fittings with a pickup in the ride plate. Is this big enough or do I need to step up to -12.
Thanks for your help

revndave
02-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I have the same set up on my 21 Tom Papp Stealth.Works great

Cs19
02-07-2005, 11:51 PM
Drill and tap the side of the bowl, youll get a better supply of water, and you wont have to suffer from the drag the pick-up creates.The water in that area (under ride plate) is VERY turbulent, you wont have near the supply of water as you will off the side of the bowl.
Might want to look into some regulators (get em from grainger) also Franky, youll be making alot of bowl pressure now, and that should be regulated, your engine wont like that much block press, Im not sure about your intercooler and what kind of PSI it can take, but I see most everyone regulating that as well if your picking up off the bowl.
Good Luck.
CS
Heres the idea.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/45IMG_1513-med.JPG

Craig
02-08-2005, 04:08 AM
On my Superchiller I run a -12 in and a -10 out, per PFM.
Craig

franky
02-08-2005, 05:05 AM
Chris,
The problem with that is I will have a constant flow of water, even at idle which I do not want (causes fuel pooling below cooler at idle). I only need/want cooling water flow while under power, hence the pickup.
I do have a pressure regulator (house style) on the engine cooling water line from the pump and a pressure relief valve on the intercooler.
Revindave,
Same size line, etc.? Where did you put the pickup? Do you have the small brass pressure relief valve?

P-Money
02-08-2005, 06:10 AM
I run a -16 pick up with 2 -10 dumps.

franky
02-08-2005, 06:25 AM
I run a -16 pick up with 2 -10 dumps.
Thats because......you are.......the Dreat Humungus!

superdave013
02-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Chris,
The problem with that is I will have a constant flow of water, even at idle which I do not want (causes fuel pooling below cooler at idle). I only need/want cooling water flow while under power, hence the pickup.
I do have a pressure regulator (house style) on the engine cooling water line from the pump and a pressure relief valve on the intercooler.
Revindave,
Same size line, etc.? Where did you put the pickup? Do you have the small brass pressure relief valve?
Has anyone ever had a fuel pooling problem like that before? I know PFM said the same thing to me when I got my cooler. I ran a pick up just like you are wanting to. My cooler would heat sink big time when I sat on the holding rope. I ended up hooking it up to a small 12V pump to move some water through it at idle. The boat seemed to leave better.
To see just how much heat those coolers soak just sitting all ya have to do is warm the engine and let it sit for awhile. Then stick you hand on the intercooler's water dump when the first bit of water goes through. It comes out freakin HOT. It seemed to cool down right away though. But that first slug of heat is going to be there when you leave the starting line of pair off with someone at the river.
Just something to think about.

Cs19
02-08-2005, 07:21 PM
Chris,
Revindave,
Oh ok, sounds like the plate pick up is the set up for you.

revndave
02-08-2005, 08:18 PM
Chris,
Revindave,
Same size lines.Pick up is on right side of ride plate.No relief valves or regulators on anything.

kojac
02-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Drill and tap the side of the bowl, youll get a better supply of water, and you wont have to suffer from the drag the pick-up creates.The water in that area (under ride plate) is VERY turbulent, you wont have near the supply of water as you will off the side of the bowl.
Might want to look into some regulators (get em from grainger) also Franky, youll be making alot of bowl pressure now, and that should be regulated, your engine wont like that much block press, Im not sure about your intercooler and what kind of PSI it can take, but I see most everyone regulating that as well if your picking up off the bowl.
Good Luck.
CS
Heres the idea.
Franky,
I have two # 12 lines coming off of the plate on my sterling tunnel. I installed them to use the water to cool the motor. The Idea was to use the water normally spent from the pump to cool the motor back on the pump nozzle to see if it would help increase thrust and speed.
I run the normal #8 water line to the motor from the pump with a cut off valve preset to close at 2500 rpms. This helps insure that the motor has adequate water during low rpms or idle and has a syphining effect to pull water through the motor when so the plate pickups will flow when the valve is closed.
I used 2 #12's in and out iniatially to insure adequate water flow.
When the valve turns on below 2500 rpms I have two checkvalves that keep the water from backflowing out through the pickups.
This set up does not allow any water pressure on the engine and At the present time it does not allow any temperature.
I need to experiment some more with the smaller water supply lines and pick up's, and dumps to get temperature in the motor. But it works.
As CS says there is a drag especially noticably in the turns and since I haven't had the chance to have my brother radar me yet with the sterling setup I do not know as yet whether there is any increase or decrease in speed.
The smaller pickups, not so radically pickup angles and waterlines might hopefully decrease the drag effect.
This set up could work very on the blower innercooler. My friend Jack had a simialiar setup on his innercooler prior going to alcahol injection.
If after I test the sterling with the radar gun, and if there is no decrease in thrust on the sterling I will probably experiment with it on my innercooler on the edge stealth.
I hope I explained it adequately and it helps your situation.
Kojac

franky
02-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Good Luck.
CS
Heres the idea.
Franky,
I have two # 12 lines coming off of the plate on my sterling tunnel. I installed them to use the water to cool the motor. The Idea was to use the water normally spent from the pump to cool the motor back on the pump nozzle to see if it would help increase thrust and speed.
I run the normal #8 water line to the motor from the pump with a cut off valve preset to close at 2500 rpms. This helps insure that the motor has adequate water during low rpms or idle and has a syphining effect to pull water through the motor when so the plate pickups will flow when the valve is closed.
I used 2 #12's in and out iniatially to insure adequate water flow.
When the valve turns on below 2500 rpms I have two checkvalves that keep the water from backflowing out through the pickups.
This set up does not allow any water pressure on the engine and At the present time it does not allow any temperature.
I need to experiment some more with the smaller water supply lines and pick up's, and dumps to get temperature in the motor. But it works.
As CS says there is a drag especially noticably in the turns and since I haven't had the chance to have my brother radar me yet with the sterling setup I do not know as yet whether there is any increase or decrease in speed.
The smaller pickups, not so radically pickup angles and waterlines might hopefully decrease the drag effect.
This set up could work very on the blower innercooler. My friend Jack had a simialiar setup on his innercooler prior going to alcahol injection.
If after I test the sterling with the radar gun, and if there is no decrease in thrust on the sterling I will probably experiment with it on my innercooler on the edge stealth.
I hope I explained it adequately and it helps your situation.
Kojac
Dale,
You have to have pressure to take away the heat, plain and simple. Whether it is the engine, oil cooler, intercooler, whatever, it takes pressure to pull the heat. Keep that in mind.
Thanks for the info.
Frank

sleekcraft76
02-09-2005, 06:34 PM
has anyone run the chiller from a through hull fitting in the bottom of the boat?

Huffer
02-09-2005, 08:02 PM
I Was Told 12 Supply 10 Return Supply On One Side Of Chiller Return On The Other Side At Back And A Pressure Gage On The Other Side Of Front No More Than 25lbs

Cs19
02-09-2005, 08:04 PM
As CS says there is a drag-
I do not know as yet whether there is any increase or decrease in speed.
I personally believe that the drag the pick ups create is pretty significant.When you consider what people will do and spend for a mph or 2, I think hanging something like that down, under the boat is a ridiculous. If your not looking for performance, then ok.
I went to a race in Phoenix (IHBA) and saw the results of drag on back to back to back runs on a race boat, drag is no joke, it slows you down!

Cs19
02-09-2005, 08:10 PM
I find it interesting that alot of guys with blown engines get away with feeding the intercoolers with bowl press and seem to have great results, are you guys running a different configuration than most?
Thanks
CS

superdave013
02-10-2005, 09:32 AM
I must have went back in time or something. There was a bunch of other posts just a second ago.

kojac
02-11-2005, 05:13 AM
superdave013 I must have went back in time or something. There was a bunch of other posts just a second ago.
There was
I replied to cs 19 and franky regarding my plumbing setup but it disaapeared.
I must have screwed up?
kojac

superdave013
02-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Naw, the site crashed or something yesterday. It looks like it got rebooted from a back up. A bunch of other posts were lost too.

revndave
02-11-2005, 04:10 PM
I find it interesting that alot of guys with blown engines get away with feeding the intercoolers with bowl press and seem to have great results, are you guys running a different configuration than most?
Thanks
CS
Sand and stuff from bowl.None pressurized system for innercooler works better.

MAXIMUS
02-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I am running a #12 off of the right side of my ride plate into a sea strainer & then into the intercooler with a #12 dump on the out going side exiting next to the driver seat. I also have a pressure relief valve set at 30 psi tapped into the sea strainer & dumping overboard. My pick up on the ride plate does not drag & has excellent flow as soon as the boat starts to move. Dave I think your drag deal & a recreational set up would vary slightly. I would be against a constant flow at idle as with most stout set ups will not help the idle feature when cruzing through a slow zone... I prefer the heat in my unit at an idle! She said the same thing! :eek:

Unchained
02-12-2005, 05:15 AM
Running a constant water flow through the intercooler IS the best way to go.
Running your fuel mixture through the intercooler is not.
It is always going to want to condense.
Stopping the water flow at idle is a bandaid.

franky
02-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Running a constant water flow through the intercooler IS the best way to go.
Running your fuel mixture through the intercooler is not.
It is always going to want to condense.
Stopping the water flow at idle is a bandaid.
Gosh, thanks a lot for your pontification. Now look at the real world, thousands of engines out there with positve displacement blowers pulling from carbs and blowing through intercoolers.

Unchained
02-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Your welcome,
Think about it though,
Running your fuel /air mixture through the cold intercooler core is the same principal as a dehumidifier.
Would you call that an ideal situation ?

steelcomp
02-12-2005, 08:53 PM
switch to alcohol and don't worry about it. :D :coffeycup

franky
02-13-2005, 07:12 AM
switch to alcohol and don't worry about it. :D :coffeycup
Yeah but what about the engine?
"If your gonna call this world your own,
your gonaa have to get out and get stoned,
and your better off with a joint than with a drink I think....."
Pure Prairy League

Unchained
02-13-2005, 10:48 AM
" I'll fix your flat tire Merle......Don't ya get yer sweet country pickin' fingers...all covered with erl "

steelcomp
02-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah but what about the engine?
"If your gonna call this world your own,
your gonaa have to get out and get stoned,
and your better off with a joint than with a drink I think....."
Pure Prairy League
....I think, I think... :D
Well, I guess you could switch your engine over as well, but that would be more work. :cool: :coffeycup

franky
02-13-2005, 01:14 PM
" I'll fix your flat tire Merle......Don't ya get yer sweet country pickin' fingers...all covered with erl "
"your an Okie, I know, but Merl, you got soul, so I'll fix yer flat tire Merl..."

KNOT-RIGHT
02-13-2005, 03:10 PM
For what its worth. I run Thru hull Hardin marine ajustable 1" id
pickups to sea strainers to #12 then off to Richard lee intercoolers. Then #16
dumps out transom. 10 lbs water presure at 100+ mph. I was surprised at the large amount of water flowing out dumps at speed.
I have approx 1/2 inch of the pickup protruding from the bottom of the
Hull.

bp
02-14-2005, 07:15 PM
you can bet that the half inch is costing you et and speed, if it's no wider than a speed pickup. if it's wider than a speed pickup, the effective loss is even more.

KNOT-RIGHT
02-15-2005, 06:00 PM
you can bet that the half inch is costing you et and speed, if it's no wider than a speed pickup. if it's wider than a speed pickup, the effective loss is even more.
I got 4 of them. However not a drag boat.
Its in a Hustler 32' V.
Its actualy closer to 3/8.
Running Arneson surface drives. Not many other choices for water pickup.
Gerry :messedup: