PDA

View Full Version : Screwdriver -vs- Keystock

ACCEPTENCE
02-08-2005, 08:47 AM
???
Gettin ready to put my prop back on the flat and can't find any keystock.
Screwdriver -vs- Keystock??? What do you guys think is best???
I read somewhere the consensus leans towards scewdrivers :D :D :D
I've got an old stanley set I can cut up.

76cole
02-08-2005, 09:07 AM
no stanleys allowed. craftsman only!!!!!! :rollside:
76cole :p

Lookin for Liquid
02-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Nothing better that I have come across other than the Craftsman screwdriver, can't cut it with a hacksaw like you can keystock material and comes pre radiused on the corners. No failures in Top Alcohol Flat or Hydro. Would not use anything else.

dossangers
02-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Whats good for earnhardt sr is good for me craftsman!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Morg
02-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Nothing better that I have come across other than the Craftsman screwdriver, can't cut it with a hacksaw like you can keystock material and comes pre radiused on the corners. No failures in Top Alcohol Flat or Hydro. Would not use anything else.
So how do you cut it to length??

76cole
02-08-2005, 08:42 PM
i used a 4" makita grinder. worked great :rollside:
76cole :220v:

Rexone
02-08-2005, 09:12 PM
I wonder how they'd handle that warranty.
Yes sir I'd like to return this defective screwdriver. I was working on my boat and a 2" piece just fell out of the blade. :smile:

Kindsvater Flat
02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
I wonder how they'd handle that warranty.
Yes sir I'd like to return this defective screwdriver. I was working on my boat and a 2" piece just fell out of the blade. :smile:
I didn't have any problem.

steelcomp
02-08-2005, 09:56 PM
Man, you guys are FULL of surprises!! :D Learn sumthin ever day out here on tha farm!

Sangster
02-09-2005, 01:58 PM
The Ole' Craftsman Screw stick" works good with the "Lower HP" deals so you should have Noooo problems Greg..... :D :D :D With the "Big HP" deals like Earl's running they have been known to shear off as they tend to roll over.. The screw stick stock has eased edges on it allowing it to move on the shaft.... Tom Bentley will be more than happy to explain it all & he probally has some in stock....But then, What the Hell do I Know..... :idea: :idea: :idea:

Cousin Bob
02-09-2005, 02:44 PM
???
Gettin ready to put my prop back on the flat and can't find any keystock.
Screwdriver -vs- Keystock??? What do you guys think is best???
I read somewhere the consensus leans towards scewdrivers :D :D :D
I've got an old stanley set I can cut up.
Does this mean that the high flyer will be on the water soon :idea: :idea: :idea:
Don't be so cheap, go get the craftsman, and keep that stanley in your wifes kitchen drawer. :D :D :D
Oh yeah, if you need someone to shoe that thing let me know :supp:

dossangers
02-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Im using a lg screw driver on the drive line ground to fit!

V-Drive Tom
02-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Craftsman screwdrivers are good hard material. They can work OK for a keyway. The problem in my opinion is that they rock around in the key slot too much. The radius is so much that you loose a lot of the key face. The ones that I measured with a mic. were .246.
Because I have to make V-Drive, prop and coupler keys every week, I like to use Hardened Ground Key Stock.
It costs about $24.00 for 18 inch piece of 1/4.
The 5/16 is a little more. I can sell it in lengths or cut and shaped.
That way a screwdriver stays a screwdriver. :D TOM..

GofastRacer
02-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Craftsman screwdrivers are good hard material. They can work OK for a keyway. The problem in my opinion is that they rock around in the key slot too much. The radius is so much that you loose a lot of the key face. The ones that I measured with a mic. were .246.
Because I have to make V-Drive, prop and coupler keys every week, I like to use Hardened Ground Key Stock.
Yep!.. ;)

BILLY.B
02-11-2005, 05:13 AM
I didn't have any problem.Of couse not, you run a DODGE for power :cry: :rollside: .

BILLY.B
02-11-2005, 05:25 AM
Don't be so cheap, go get the craftsman, and keep that stanley in your wifes kitchen drawer. :D :D :D
BOY oh BOY is this the pot calling the kettle black :jawdrop:. Speaking of CHEAP hows that T-deck project coming along :supp: :D ??????. Rumor has it that your getting all serious with the house stuff and have pushed the boat stuff a side :frown: . Crying shame when the power of _u$$y gets to a man and his toys are put on the back burner :hammer2:. Oh well we still love ya, and you otta think about making a comeback the Bolt Nazi says he has something for you come the Needles trip :idea: . Something about an old fashioned ASS WOOPING!!!! :eat:

Rexone
02-11-2005, 09:47 AM
And wearing a V-drive type shirt into a Sears store won't automatically get you your ass handed to you by the screwdriver inventory officer. :smile:

Stab-n-Steer
02-11-2005, 11:26 AM
On the race boats we use a high alloy (8630) key that is .001" oversized (.251") They aren't full hard at C20 but my experience with full hard keys is that they can "waller-out" the keyways which are softer. They are plenty strong at 112,000 psi tensile strenth. Here's the best news - only $1.21 for a 12" length at McMaster-Carr PN# 99020A425.
S&S

Cousin Bob
02-11-2005, 02:30 PM
BOY oh BOY is this the pot calling the kettle black :jawdrop:. Speaking of CHEAP hows that T-deck project coming along :supp: :D ??????. Rumor has it that your getting all serious with the house stuff and have pushed the boat stuff a side :frown: . Crying shame when the power of _u$$y gets to a man and his toys are put on the back burner :hammer2:. Oh well we still love ya, and you otta think about making a comeback the Bolt Nazi says he has something for you come the Needles trip :idea: . Something about an old fashioned ASS WOOPING!!!! :eat:
O.K. now its on. Tell that Bolt Nazi guy that I just got off the phone, and the remaining parts are on there way. The old tub will be there ( Just for a day or so ) he can pick the day even. Then I got to get back to the house stuff. Want to get it done before the summer hits. Its to damn hot then, Billy, _u$$y has nothing to do with it. :eek: :eek: :eek:

BILLY.B
02-12-2005, 06:48 AM
O.K. now its on. Billy, _u$$y has nothing to do with it. :eek: :eek: :eek: Nazi says you'd better put a 6 gear in the box if you want to leave with him :2purples:, otherwise it's all transom for you :) . And chiefy can't we all just get along???????. didn't mean to get you on the tire!!! :D :D

V-Drive Tom
02-12-2005, 07:28 AM
SO BILLY, What do YOU use. Screwdriver or Keystock.
You Have a well maintaned, hard running boat.
I know that you inspect and replace spinning parts regularly. What have you found? ;) TOM..

Cousin Bob
02-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Nazi says you'd better put a 6 gear in the box if you want to leave with him :2purples:, otherwise it's all transom for you :) . And chiefy can't we all just get along???????. didn't mean to get you on the tire!!! :D :D
Does this mean that the Nazi has his blown injected deal ready :idea: Its pretty sad he had to go to those lengths just because he got his ass wooped by a old heavy heap like mine. :supp:
Chiefy, no hard feelings at all here ;) By the way I just burned a few copies of the wood bros. in case you lost yours. Theres nothing like hanging out at the camp ground and listening to a little country music ;)
right Huuuuud :D

dossangers
02-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I KNOW FIRST HAND THERES BEEN SERIOUS BLUEPRINTING GOING ON!!!!

Cousin Bob
02-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Wayne, I still think hes going a little overboard just to beat a old carberated, iron headed, heavy a$$ hull. :confused:

FlatStupid
02-12-2005, 08:09 PM
That way a screwdriver stays a screwdriver. :D TOM..Tom if price per inch is the deal screwdrivers cost more and are better? Just playin! :D :hammer2:

CircleJerk
02-13-2005, 01:15 AM
Leurn sompin evry dey! :confused:

BILLY.B
02-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Does this mean that the Nazi has his blown injected deal ready :idea: Its pretty sad he had to go to those lengths just because he got his ass wooped by a old heavy heap like mine. :supp:
Chiefy, no hard feelings at all here ;) By the way I just burned a few copies of the wood bros. in case you lost yours. Theres nothing like hanging out at the camp ground and listening to a little country music ;)
right Huuuuud :D No blown injected deal yet. Just running that small CUBIC INCH FORD :D :D

Heatseeker
02-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Whats good for earnhardt sr is good for me craftsman!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
I was wonderin' if anyone else picked that up from the Earnhardt movie :smile: !

Cousin Bob
02-14-2005, 06:10 PM
No blown injected deal yet. Just running that small CUBIC INCH FORD :D :D
Huuuum, got any pics of that small Ford?
Your not just trying to get my old heap out of the garage, are you Billy :squiggle: