PDA

View Full Version : LAPD vs. 13 year old auto theft suspect

Havasu_Dreamin
02-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Your thoughts? Personally, they had no idea he was 13. While tragic, the moral of the story is don't steal things, commit crimes, run from the police, and then try and ram them with your STOLEN car. Oh, and Maxine Waters is a joke IMHO!
LAPD's fatal shooting of an auto-theft suspect, 13, prompts questions over why the department has not yet revised its policy on firing at moving cars.
By Natasha Lee and Richard Winton
Times Staff Writers
February 8, 2005
As black community leaders expressed growing anger over the death of a 13-year-old boy shot Sunday by a Los Angeles police officer, Police Chief William J. Bratton sought Monday to explain why the department hasn't changed its policy on firing at moving vehicles, a year after he said it should be revised.
"It takes a long time," Bratton said of his efforts to revamp the shooting policy, noting that the Los Angeles Police Department is considering policies from four agencies that would "potentially prohibit" officers from shooting at a moving vehicle. "There is a lot of back and forth discussing it. We are intending to make changes."
Officer Steven Garcia, a 9-year veteran, fired 10 shots early Sunday at 13-year-old Devin Brown, who was driving a stolen 1990 Toyota Camry. Garcia, standing outside his police car, opened fire when Devin allegedly backed the Toyota toward the patrol unit.
In an interview, Bratton expressed concerns about Garcia's tactics, but said he would leave it to investigators to get to the bottom of the incident.
Bratton said he believes that five of 10 shots fired by Garcia struck his police car and created the potential for assisting officers "to be caught in the cross-fire."
Meanwhile, South Los Angeles residents and leaders of the African American community expressed outrage over the shooting, which followed a brief pursuit.
"The residents are very disturbed over this tragic and needless shooting," said John Mack, president of the Los Angeles Urban League. "We have a pattern here where some police officers don't value the lives of young African American males. There's a frustration here that's building up and makes it difficult to build a partnership with police."
Dozens of area residents gathered in protest Monday around the corner of West 83rd Street and South Western Avenue where Devin was shot. At a makeshift memorial site, placards and notes were left criticizing officers for heavy-handed police work. "LAPD, thank you for giving us another reason for disliking your service," read one.
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Los Angeles) urged the community to "demand justice and become even more creative in ways to shame the establishment for tolerating this kind of abuse in our city."
Nearby resident Paula Hodge, 48, said. "I'm standing here for this baby because this didn't need to happen. They put these guys [police] out here who they know don't like us." Even if Devin "was doing wrong, that didn't give them the right to kill him in that way," she said.
Ernest Ward, 46, who knew the victim and his family, said he was shocked by the shooting. He said Devin, whose father died about six months ago, was a good kid who had never gotten into trouble before. "He was a sweet kid," Ward said. "That's what I don't understand."
Bratton met with Mack and other community leaders Monday afternoon to assure them that the department would fully investigate the incident.
The shooting comes as many black activists and residents are still upset over two other recent news events: Last week's decision by Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley not to prosecute the LAPD officer who used a flashlight last year to beat a black car thief during an arrest; and last month's $1.6-million jury award to a former Inglewood officer who was captured on videotape slamming a black teenager onto the trunk of a patrol car.
Waters said both cases were "reminiscent of the Rodney King beating" almost 14 years ago and the verdict by an all-white jury that followed in April 1992, acquitting the four police officers of any wrongdoing.
Geraldine Washington, president of the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP, said that "the community is outraged. But I think this is going to bring the total community together. They're supposed to protect and serve, and they got it wrong."
Sunday's shooting appears to be the first for Garcia, a Newton Division officer, according to police records obtained by The Times. The officer, however, has had several misconduct complaints against him alleging that he has been discourteous and made false or misleading statements to investigators.
In one case, a disciplinary panel recommended that Garcia be suspended for 44 days in connection with a case in which he was accused of threatening a juvenile and then threatened an ex-girlfriend so she wouldn't cooperate with LAPD investigators. Although the panel concluded that he did not threaten the juvenile, it found that he did threaten the former girlfriend and disobeyed department orders by talking to her about the case.
Garcia was placed on desk duty after Sunday's shooting.
According to police, Garcia and his partner were on routine patrol near Gage and Grand avenues when they saw the driver of the maroon Toyota Camry run a red light. The officers followed the car onto the Harbor Freeway and then tried to pull the driver over.
A three-minute chase ended when the driver lost control of the Toyota and drove onto the sidewalk. The officers then parked their patrol car behind the Toyota.
A 14-year-old passenger fled, but was later apprehended. When Devin, who was driving, allegedly backed into the officers' car, Garcia opened fire.
The last high-profile incident in which an LAPD officer shot and killed a motorist occurred nearly a year ago in Santa Monica, where police killed a man who backed his car toward officers at the end of a televised 90-minute pursuit.
At the time, Bratton announced that he wanted to place new, more stringent restrictions on officers firing at moving vehicles.
On Monday, the chief said drafting the new shooting policy is part of a larger, more comprehensive change on the apprehension of fleeing suspects.
Bratton said he has tightened the rules governing when officers can initiate a pursuit. He said officers are being trained to use spike strips that puncture tires and immobilize fleeing vehicles, and that officers are being taught to use their vehicles to contact the rear of a fleeing vehicle to make it spin to a halt.
A new LAPD unit has been created to investigate shootings, he said. The final piece of the puzzle — a new policy governing officers' use of deadly force when suspects are in moving vehicles — will come before the Police Commission in 30 to 45 days.
Bratton said the department is considering policies from four agencies — the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, San Francisco Police Department, Boston Police Department and Miami Police Department — that would "potentially prohibit shooting from a moving vehicle or at a moving vehicle unless the officer is threatened by deadly force other than the moving vehicle."
LAPD officers are now entitled to use deadly force to protect themselves or others from the immediate threat of death or serious bodily injury.
They also are permitted to shoot at fleeing felons, but only in cases in which the target is suspected of having seriously hurt or killed someone — or having attempted to — and there is a "substantial risk" that the suspect will do so again if not apprehended.
The department's manual states that "firing at or from moving vehicles is generally prohibited. Even though officers are discouraged from shooting at moving vehicles, such shootings are, more often than not, found to be justified uses of force.
Reprinted without permission of the Los Angeles Times

al cole'holic
02-08-2005, 10:51 AM
..he was a good kid, never got into trouble before.....before trying to run an officer down!! :mad:

OC-PARTYCAT
02-08-2005, 11:00 AM
white, black, brown. young, old...whatever. dont ram a cop car unless you want a bullet in your head. Lil bastard diserved it.
Maybe all the activists should channel some of that negative energy into teaching their children and others in their community about breaking the law and what could happen.

BarryMac
02-08-2005, 11:02 AM
A great kid that stole a car and tried to run over a cop, maybe they should have just taken him to McDonald's for a Happy Meal instead, after all stealing a car and trying to run over cop makes you a model citizen, right??? He should have been rewarded instead.
All these people that say this kind of stuff have never been in the position of a Policeman, maybe they should do a cops day for just one day when something like this happens, just to see if they would kill or be killed... :mad:

Powerquestboy
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
This is sad because young kids do stupid things but maybe now his friends and other people in the community will think twice about stealing cars and running down officers. Thank god this kid was stopped before he killed someone. A 13 year old that doesnt know how to drive, or have a license, loose on the street in a car is just as dangerous as a kid with a gun firing bullets down a street. What if he had hit someones mom or dad or worse some good kid playing in his neighborhood. Its very sad, but these are the consequences for breaking the law.

Kilrtoy
02-08-2005, 11:06 AM
The ends justified the means.................
Why was this 13 year old gang banger on th estreet at that hour stealing calls

IN2MX
02-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Your thoughts? Personally, they had no idea he was 13. While tragic, the moral of the story is don't steal things, commit crimes, run from the police, and then try and ram them with your STOLEN car. Oh, and Maxine Waters is a joke IMHO!
Good to see someone who gets it. The simple fact is this......When a police officer stops you, pull over. Good people do this and dont have any problems.
POS MF's run....Dirtbags run....They run to keep from going to JAIL. They have committed a crime, possibly a crime unto you, someone you know, or someone you love.
This crap has to stop.

dmontzsta
02-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Its these damn video games I tell you.
He was probably playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for a long time and it got in his head. Shit, when I play the damn thing I leave the house and see a cop and start freaking out, the game took over.

Jbb
02-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Maybe the African American community leaders should look into why this fine specimin felt it was necessary to steal a car and try to run over a LEO with it..Oh...It must be because he felt....opressed?....why buy it when I can just take it?....
Nearby resident Paula Hodge, 48, said. "I'm standing here for this baby because this didn't need to happen. They put these guys [police] out here who they know don't like us." Even if Devin "was doing wrong, that didn't give them the right to kill him in that way," she said.
standing here for this baby....lol...
Ernest Ward, 46, who knew the victim and his family, said he was shocked by the shooting. He said Devin, whose father died about six months ago, was a good kid who had never gotten into trouble before. "He was a sweet kid," Ward said. "That's what I don't understand."
He was a sweet kid......for a Felon.....
Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Los Angeles) urged the community to "demand justice and become even more creative in ways to shame the establishment for tolerating this kind of abuse in our city."
Next time Maxine needs help because ...maybe someone is breaking into her house...I hope she doesnt call 911....she should call members of the African American community instead
Geraldine Washington, president of the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP, said that "the community is outraged. But I think this is going to bring the total community together. They're supposed to protect and serve, and they got it wrong."
Nope ..sorry Geraldine ...they actually got it right!

Kilrtoy
02-08-2005, 11:19 AM
they did PROTECT AND SERVE, the good citizens of this state....
maxine waters needs to go away

RiverDave
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Some of the younger gang bangers are worse then the OG's.. Just becuase the kid was 13, doesn't mean he wouldn't put a bullet in anyone of those officers given the opportunity.
RD

OGShocker
02-08-2005, 11:28 AM
One less motherfu*cker to steal my sh*t. Braxton is an A**HOLE

redi4fun
02-08-2005, 11:28 AM
My question is WTF is a 13 year old doing out at Approx 3:00 am. The answer is simple, LOOKING FOR TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!
:idea: Why is the media not asking his parent(s) WTF is your kid doing out at the hour of the day?
If I ever catch my kid out at that hour of the day he is going to get an old fashion beat down alright. Worked for ME :D

Havasu_Dreamin
02-08-2005, 11:38 AM
:idea: Why is the media not asking his parent(s) WTF is your kid doing out at the hour of the day?
Because the media is clueless and only pander to the liberals and the people that bitch the most. They never ask the hard hitting questions that everyone else is thinking of.
And of course, it's far easier to say well, maybe the officer should have done so and so. That's easy to do when Monday morning quarterbacking a situation the officer probably had about 2 seconds, if that, to assess and react to the situation.
It's really easy, when the red and blue lights go on behind you, pull over, put your vehicle in park, place your hands in plain view and be courteous. If you broke the law, sack up and accept the ticket. If you run from the police, IMHO, the have every right to beat your a$$! Even if it is with a flashlight!

Red Eye
02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
I cannot agree anymore with everyone here. I'm not racist or prejudiced or whatever, but why is it black people think they're always getting the shaft? Why can't the black community get it through their thick heads that if you committ a crime, you will have to suffer the consequences?

MagicMtnDan
02-08-2005, 11:59 AM
This is simply another opportunity for the real racists to spew their venom. Look for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to get involved as it gives them another chance to spout off on oppression and racism while filling their pockets with money.
The real issue is why aren't these people protesting for safer neighborhoods and to stop the black-on-black, black-on-hispanic violence that kills many more young and old blacks and hispanics?
Because they'd rather protest against the man and see if they can't get some cash from the city/county of LA by suing them (us).
My first post in well over a month - I got pulled in by my anger for these racists trying to work the system. :yuk:

Rev. Williams
02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
It's always the sweet little black babies.....WTF!!!
All these people need to pull their heads from their a$$es and see whats going on. 13 and stealing a car at 3am with a 14yr old friend, ya those are gonna be good adults !!! The parents need to start being held accountable for their kids actions, then maybe they'd start to take an intrest in what they do at 3am.
What really pisses me off is the frikin NAACP!! They jump right into it and say "BAD COP BAD COP, they just hate black people"... Well right now 81% of all crimes are being commited by blacks and hispanic. And 72% of all prisoners right now are black. So it's kinda hard to beat or shoot a white guy if he's not doing the crimes!! Nobody ever brings these stats up on the news. I would love for once to hear all this come out in a LAPD press conference.
It's not being prejudice, it's being aware... Statistically there is a higher probability that a black or hispanic person is going to committe a crime, so people better be made aware!!

THOR
02-08-2005, 12:36 PM
There are several things this kid did wrong
1-driving without a license because you are 13!
2-stealing a vehicle
3-Combination of two and three, driving a stolen vehicle
4-Ramming a cop with a stolen vehicle, if I understand, is assault with a deadly weapon
That is just what we heard.
If he was a sweet kid, I dont even want to imagine what the bad kids are like.

BoatPI
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
So let's see;
1. If the driver was 40, and backed into the offcier killing him, the offcier would be dead.
2. If the driver was 10 years old, and backed into the officer, the officer would still be dead.
What occurred minutes before (pursuit), or the age makes little diference, it is the individuals actions, and the using of a car as a deadly weapon, at that specific moment that is the issue here.

MAINEVENT
02-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I am sorry i support the officer let them do their JOB :hammerhea and deal with it, this little punk kid tried to run them over WITH A CAR are they trying to say he did not know what he was doing BULLSHIT
oh yeah and what was the kids doing out at that time :hammerhea whereTF are the parents here :hammer2: :hammer2:
THS IS BULL$h!t just my .02 this really needs to stop
MAINEVENT<------Says if you do the crime know that there is consequences :wink:

Coleitis22
02-08-2005, 01:04 PM
they did PROTECT AND SERVE, the good citizens of this state....
maxine waters needs to go away
Get Ready LA, Let the rioting begin. Remember what a model citizen Rodney King was?? :confused: :confused:

Ziggy
02-08-2005, 01:14 PM
The ends justified the means.................
Why was this 13 year old gang banger on th estreet at that hour stealing calls
I'd be interested in hearing your point of view had this occured on the highways and CHP would have handled the situation...would the kid be dead?
I'm not arguing any point on this subject, the kid was guilty.

AquaBoogie
02-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Its these damn video games I tell you.
He was probably playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas for a long time and it got in his head. Shit, when I play the damn thing I leave the house and see a cop and start freaking out, the game took over.
Lmao...
They should also arrest the parents for child endangerment. Why did they allow him to be out at 3am? His little bad arse should have been at home in bed! Don't blame the cops for what they did, blame the parents for not raising the kid properly.

Essex502
02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Can't wait 'till Johnny Cockroach comes crawling out from under the rug representing the family in a lawsuit over this incident. Personally, the kid did the crime and paid the price. Enough said.

barbigrl
02-08-2005, 01:29 PM
If he was white...this would not even be an issue....SO REFRICKENDICULOUS!! I am sending that ignorant Maxine a letter!! Tell her she should be a cop for ONE day in LA.....she would be singing a different tune!!
Just a bunch of ignorant idiots....

barbigrl
02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Get Ready LA, Let the rioting begin. Remember what a model citizen Rodney King was?? :confused: :confused:
Kool...let them destroy there own city.....

OC-PARTYCAT
02-08-2005, 01:34 PM
on a school night too :messedup:

abraman1326
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Maybe I have lived a sheltered life, but had I been out at 3a.m., stealing a car, when I was 13, my parents would have brained me. I would have had the ass beating of a lifetime, and prob had to be over doing quite a bit of work for the people I had stolen the car from for the rest of my younger days. Had an officer tried to pull me over, and had to feel his life in dange by me backing the vehicle into his patrol car, I doubt that the community minority leaders would have given $.02 of notice. I'm a white male, now 29 years old, and grew up in Napa, CA. Over the past couple years I have really become frusterated w/ the fact the people of all other races all feel like they are descriminated against, and opressed. I'm sorry, but we all have the same oppertunities in this great country of ours to be the best we can be. I remember all of the adult figures, parents, family, teachers, friends, telling me I could be anything in this world I wanted to be. At the age of 16, I had to get a job to pay for the extra things I wanted, I still played sports, was very active in my High School chior, and still kept my grades up enough to go to collage and get a degree. My parents weren't in a very well financial position, but they always were very encouraging in my desires to become a better person. Now I can understand some minorities have had it bad, not a lot of money and such, but if they were encouraged at home to be better citizens, and be productive, and not constantley told how they were oppressed, our country would be a better place for themselves. There are people in every race in this great country of ours that are oppressed, and we can either let it bring us down, or we can fight to make a better life for ourselves and our children. I am so sick and tired of hearing people talk about how they don't have the same chances the white kids have. Well, I tell you what, you do. Look at affermative action. Employers, and institutions were told they had to give a certain number of oppertunities to people of other races, even though there may have been a better qualified caucasion person for the position, it was given to someone of another color. This was something our government tried, in order to make things more fair. I'm sorry, but in our great country, it should always be the best person for the job. Sitting at home, and feeling sorry for ourselves, while it is something that effects quite a bunch of us, isn't the way to get ahead. I do not concider myself a predujist person, I believe that every race has it's bad apples. If we all worked together, think of how much greater our country could be. Now as far as an officer of the law tragicly taking a childs life is very distrubing, we as citizens give our law enforcement officers a certain amount of trust that they are doing the right thing. What if this child had ran his stolen car into another citizen of this great country, and killed him/her, would there still be this outcry? I think not. But because he just tried to run over a cop, the cop is in the wrong for protecting his life. I stand up and applaud this officer, I know there must have been a lot that has to go through someones mind before he can decide to use deadley force. Imagine the grief he must be feeling for knowing he has taken another human beings life. It has to hurt him, and that nobody will stand up for him. Well, I stand up and say while this is a tragic event, this young man let the officer no choice. His life was in danger, and he opened fire. These minority leaders must be sitting at home thinking he went out on his shift, just trying to find someone he could shoot. I am sick and tired of people standing up to destroy this officers credibility, and not looking at the fact that he did what he had to do to protect his life, and the lively hood of his family. I'm so very sorry if I have offended anyone. This is just my opinion. This really rubbed me the wrong way. Had this teenager killed the officer, then where would these leaders stand? Again, I'm very sorry I have rambled on, this just really got to me...
BRA

INFINITEJJ
02-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Two of the sandbar threads here got me thinking. Its okay to shoot a 13 year old kid, but its not okay to ticket a truck thats not street legal(from the CHP sucks thread)? WTF? I think the kid got what he deserved and making an example out of him didn't hurt either. As for the lifted ILLEGAL trucked he got what he deserved also and the example thing too! Everybody needs to be responsable for their OWN actions and quit bitching. Just my opinion I could be wrong.

hotlavey
02-08-2005, 05:49 PM
The really sad part about this is that the officers that did this will be hung out to dry. The limp wristed mayor and the gutless chief are already apologizing to the black community for this "outrage". Never once on any of this afternoons news casts has the fact been mentioned that this 13 year old punk stole the car and tried to run down the officers. Only thing mentioned was the outrage by the community and all the BS being spewed by the citizens.
What a bunch of crap.

hotlavey
02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
The really sad part about this is that the officers that did this will be hung out to dry. The limp wristed mayor and the gutless chief are already apologizing to the black community for this "outrage". Never once on any of this afternoons news casts has the fact been mentioned that this 13 year old punk stole the car and tried to run down the officers. Only thing mentioned was the outrage by the community and all the BS being spewed by the citizens.
What a bunch of crap.

chub
02-08-2005, 06:33 PM
That all sounds fine but I have to drive from LA to HB everyday.

ahhell
02-08-2005, 07:07 PM
How friggin ignorant can a whole community be..maybe we should take away the police officers weapons and give them a bag of rocks to throw at the "bad guys" :yuk: Here comes Johnny Cockroach and Jesse Jackass

rvrpig
02-08-2005, 07:09 PM
GREAT PARENTAL UPBRINGING!!!! :idea:

BRSTQUEST
02-08-2005, 07:22 PM
This Whole Incident Has Me Fired Up!!!!!! This Little Punk Steals Someones Car, Gets Into A Dangerous Chase, And Then Rams The Cops Car And The Cops Are At Fault For Defending Themselves???? This Just Doesn't Seem Right....la County Is A Pond Of Monster Scum Which Is Why This Is A Big Deal....many In The County Would Rather See A Cop Die Than Take Responsibility For Their Own Actions.....if I Do Wrong I Man-up Take My Days On The Bricks And Don't Do It Again, That Simple......seems Funny It Is Election Time And The Mayor, James Haun(sp) Is Hanging His Cops Out To Dry To Appease The People Of South Central....well I Am Starting To Ramble So I Am Going To Stop Before I Type Something That May Get Me In Trouble.......see Personal Responsibility Its Not That Hard

Desert Rat
02-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't care what color he is/was. People need to take responsibility for their actions and the sooner they are taught that the better. Pitty someone so young had to die but if this is the actions of a 13yo just think what this child would have grown up to be!!

Desert Rat
02-08-2005, 07:41 PM
And on this note it won't be long before LA will not be able to recruit police officers. lord knows i would not want the job. When the F'N scum of the earth have more rights then those protecting us it just plain pisses me off. The f'n pussy ass elected officials should be the last on the LAPD's respond list then they may change their mind after they get ripped, raped or jacked!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

BRSTQUEST
02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Amen To That!!!!!!!!! The City Council And Board Of Supervisors Are On The gnc List......got Nothing Comming

burtandnancy
02-08-2005, 07:50 PM
I was really pissed tonight as to the way channel 4 covered this, not one word of fact, only the protests of the So LA'ers.
Don't you wish someday, we give the black neighborhoods exactly what they want, no white cops. I wonder how long it would be before they surrendered.
How do you E-mail Maxine Waters anyway?

Kilrtoy
02-08-2005, 07:52 PM
lets just pull all the police out of that area of the city and let them police themselves, They will be begging for the police to come back within a day or two.......

Tyson Ross
02-08-2005, 08:21 PM
I say piss them off even more and lock up the mother who should be responsible for her kid's actions. :eek:

C-2
02-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Just an observation about police shootings:
Whenever an officer leaves his patrol car during or immediately after a chase, while the suspect remains in his - bad news for both the suspect and officer.

barbigrl
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
I.
How do you E-mail Maxine Waters anyway?
I second that...does anyone know?

KACHINA KEN
02-08-2005, 10:17 PM
13, 18. 21, black, white , green whatever. Break the law and go to jail or get shot. Seem pretty open and shut, dont break the law.

dexman38
02-08-2005, 11:47 PM
I have a 13 year old and i know where he is at 3:00 a.m . but if he did steal a car ram a police officer. And the police officer shot and killed him. Oh WELL. He got what he deserved.

LBZROCKS
02-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Cool..rioting ='s the cops cracking some more heads.. hmmm..and overtime..not such a bad thing
:hammerhea

Boatcop
02-09-2005, 02:34 AM
Every day in LA County some black kid is killed by gang bangers. Some intentionally, some are innocent bystanders.
Where's the outrage in that? Why aren't the self proclaimed black community "leaders" going on TV, Radio, etc. and condemming the bangers?
And more importantly, why aren't those same "leaders" leading their communities out of the society of fear and terror that the gangs impose on them.
The lack of action on the part of those "leaders" should be the number one story in the Southland. Not a fleeing car thief getting killed while attempting to kill Police Officers

Freak
02-09-2005, 06:53 AM
I say piss them off even more and lock up the mother who should be responsible for her kid's actions. :eek:
I would bet that mom and dad have been guests of the public saftey system for many years.

Essex502
02-09-2005, 07:03 AM
I wonder just how easy it is to see the age of a driver, in the dark, backing their car towards you and you partner after a chase? Ya' think that it might be tough? You bet.
Changing the law on shooting at moving vehicles is merely a placibo to the community to pacify their voices temporarily. Until the community is OUTRAGED over their "innocent little babies" breaking the law and taking responsibility for their childrens actions nothing of substance will come of their protests.
The problem is single parent households where the fathers (usually multiple fathers for the children in the household) don't take responsibility. Lots of the children don't even know their fathers. The mother's may or may not be working and the children are left to their own devices. Idle hands and all.

OGShocker
02-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Two of the sandbar threads here got me thinking. Its okay to shoot a 13 year old kid, but its not okay to ticket a truck thats not street legal(from the CHP sucks thread)? WTF? I think the kid got what he deserved and making an example out of him didn't hurt either. As for the lifted ILLEGAL trucked he got what he deserved also and the example thing too! Everybody needs to be responsable for their OWN actions and quit bitching. Just my opinion I could be wrong.
88 posts in 3+ years? You don't have a lot to say but, what you say, says a lot!! :idea:

BoatPI
02-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Kilroy, that is EXACTLY what LAPD did in the Rodney riots, when it all started, the bureau chief ordered everyone to a staging area. He figured it would stop, the "let them tire out" thought. Well what occured the first night. They lost it.

Seadog
02-09-2005, 07:17 AM
It does sound like this police officer is less than perfect and may have not used great judgement in firing his piece. However, this kid may have been a sweetheart at one time, but he was trying to join the gangs and dropping out of school. He was headed to be a full blown gang banger. My personal thought is that the police should disband and tell the community to hire a private security company. See how rent-a-cops do it. The fact is that they teach their kids that the cops are the enemy and they let the gangs rule the neighborhood. Change has to come from within. You don't want the whites and hispanic cops killing blacks? Train your black kids to be law abiding people and have them become cops.

JUST LOOKING
02-09-2005, 08:02 AM
:I cannot agree anymore with everyone here. I'm not racist or prejudiced or whatever, but why is it black people think they're always getting the shaft? Why can't the black community get it through their thick heads that if you committ a crime, you will have to suffer the consequences?
:2purples: So, are you speaking for all Black people. Thick head,Not Racist,Woo.Heard this one before.

dirty old man
02-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Great observations by nearly everyone. How does one e-mail Maxine? Thanx for jumping in boatcop, your thots are always (almost always) wise

JUST LOOKING
02-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Two of the sandbar threads here got me thinking. Its okay to shoot a 13 year old kid, but its not okay to ticket a truck thats not street legal(from the CHP sucks thread)? WTF? I think the kid got what he deserved and making an example out of him didn't hurt either. As for the lifted ILLEGAL trucked he got what he deserved also and the example thing too! Everybody needs to be responsable for their OWN actions and quit bitching. Just my opinion I could be wrong. :D Good point,and well said. :lightsabe

Flashwave
02-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Be polite. Do not use fowl language. Stick to the point. Your point of view will stick whether they like it or not.
News stations do not want to piss off viewers who buy their sponsors products. Remember there is no such thing, as objective news on TV. Politicians will say anything to get reelected.
J
Maxine Waters (http://www.house.gov/waters/IMA/issue.htm)
ABC News Channel 7 (abc.audience.relations@abc.com)
CBS Channel 2 (kcbstvnews@cbs.com)
KNBC Channel 4 (knbc.news@nbc.com)

Havasu_Dreamin
02-09-2005, 09:17 AM
DING DING DING DING DING We have a winner! My thoughts exactly!

ss19crew
02-09-2005, 09:25 AM
If when I was 13 and I was out at 3 in the morning my father would have kicked my a$$. but wait look I have parents that took part in my youth and now I am a cop. My hart goes out to the police officer because now he has to deal with the nightmares (and belive me they will come) along with all of the legal crap that comes with using your gun in the line of duty. I personaly had a 15 year old in a stolen car try and run me over whom I had to shoot, Now he did not die due to fast EMS times but the paperwork is never ending and the legal battle is enuff to make you want to pull your hair out , quit and move to a island somewere.
Just my .02

C-2
02-09-2005, 09:55 AM
And another thing....
Isn't it about time the Feds bust up Nation of Islam, or at least keep a fire under their arses!!! They are the very definition of RICO.

Roxysnow
02-09-2005, 10:05 AM
What a bunch of crap.
Totally agree! I think the only mistake the police officer made was that he fired his gun 9 too many times. Should have only took one bullet! What a waste of ammo! I suggest his punishment should be back to the gun range for a week! :devil:

Essex502
02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Totally agree! I think the only mistake the police officer made was that he fired his gun 9 too many times. Should have only took one bullet! What a waste of ammo! I suggest his punishment should be back to the gun range for a week! :devil:
I heard that 5 of his shots hit his own cruiser in the bedlam that ensued when the perp - yes 13 y.o. PERP - suddenly started to backup into the cruiser and officers.

probablecause
02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Don't waste your time by emailing anybody (although it feels good to let them have it).
Maxine waters will not accept email if your zip code is not in her district. You will get, "Your zip code indicates that you are outside of the 35th District of California. Regrettably, I am unable to reply to any email from constituents outside of the 35th District of California."
Besides, even if you used, let's say... 90247, 90249, 90250, 90251, 90260, 90301, 90303, 90305, 90044, and she actually started to read them, she would simply delete your email because her political platform is not supported by common sense thinkers, nor by people who don't live in her district (ie. most of the ***boaters).
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1838district35.gif
PS. You are going to witness the demise of Bratton. If he turns on his troops the POA will eat him up like all the other chiefs.
DO YOU THINK SHE REALLY WANTS TO HEAR THE TRUTH?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1838maxine.gif

dirty old man
02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Maxines site won't accept e-mail from out of her zip code
Haven't got time to express my displeasure with the net works, CBS, NBC, ABC or Fox

ss19crew
02-09-2005, 11:34 AM
I would agree with you but after being in a similar situation there is a lot of adrelin flowing and some times(most times) your shots don’t come off like you would want, But they are usually close. He most likely fried until he ran out of bullets being scared for his life

C-2
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Another sad reality is once again, the city is gonna end up paying another unnecessary settlement. Unnecessary due to the fact LAPD knew their shooting at moving vehicles policy was flawed – yet were still in the process of “correcting it.” How long does it take?
Their change in policy stemmed from last years shooting of a suspect after a chase. In that instance, officers shot and killed a suspect believing he was trying to run them over. But it’s now apparent the suspect’s vehicle hit a curb and began rolling backwards. While the officer feared for his life and the shooting was justified, the city is still on the hook for a negligence claim.
Hopefully this officer was within the department’s shooting guidelines; they change their policy, settle the lawsuit and move on, sans all the racial crap.
:)

Boatcop
02-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Another reason I'm glad I moved out of California.
I grew up in 90250 (Hawthorne).
Although the demographics were a whole lot different then.

Red Eye
02-09-2005, 03:01 PM
:
:2purples: So, are you speaking for all Black people. Thick head,Not Racist,Woo.Heard this one before.
I have no idea what you mean??? And no I'm not speaking for all black people and yes this is a race issue as other people in here have mentioned that if this was a white kid...no one would give a rats ass except for the family.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Just heard on the news that the FBI is now involved in the investigation. Uh, why? How is this a federal issue? Or yeah, that's right, it's not!
They also interviewed some community member from down there at the memorial for this little POS criminal and she said something to the effect implying that something needs to be done about the police or the neighborhood will burn again. Good, burn your own phucking neighborhood, see if any of the rest of us in So. Cal care! I certainly don't.

Boatcop
02-09-2005, 05:14 PM
It becomes a Federal matter when an allegation of a Civil Rights Violation is made. When the Government or it's employee(s), which a Police Officer is, deprives someone of their Civil Rights (Some of which are LIFE Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness) The Feds investigate to see if a violation actually occurred.
If you remember, the Rodney King Officers were acquitted in State Court of any wrongdoing, but were convicted of violating King's Rights.
The Specific section is US Code, Section 1983, which states:
Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance,
regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the
District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any
citizen of the United States or other person within the
jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges,
or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable
to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other
proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought
against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such
officer's judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted
unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was
unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress
applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be
considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.
Just because an investigation is taking place, doesn't necessarily mean that a violation occurred.

LAPII
02-09-2005, 06:39 PM
True Boatcop, but don't forget my Dept is currently under the Federal Consent Decree, so they are now ALWAYS involved in anything we do that be it of small importance or big.

coolchange
02-09-2005, 06:57 PM
My B in law just started the academy,I still don't beleive it.
That cops life is over. I know someone that was directly involved in the Rodney King thing and it affected every part of his life to the very core. I hope he has a couple of good friends.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Reprinted without the permission of the LA times
Mother of Slain Teen Sues L.A. and Officer
By Patricia Ward Biederman
Times Staff Writer
May 11, 2005
The mother of 13-year-old Devin Brown, who was fatally shot by police after a car chase in February, filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the city of Los Angeles and the officer involved.
The suit, brought by Evelyn Davis, names Los Angeles Police Officer Steven Garcia in the Feb. 6 slaying of her son.
It alleges wrongful death and negligent hiring, training and supervision of Garcia, who allegedly fired 10 shots at the scene.
"We believe the child died as a result of the improper conduct and poor training of this officer," said Davis' attorney Brian Dunn.
After the fatal shooting, the Los Angeles Police Commission restricted officers from shooting at moving vehicles unless they feel their lives or those of bystanders are at risk.
On Feb. 6, officers pursued a maroon Toyota Camry, driven by Devin, after the car ran a red light in South Los Angeles about 4 a.m., police said.
Officers said Devin later backed the car into their patrol car.
Garcia then fired at the car, killing Devin, according to police, who later learned that the car was stolen.
The complaint asks for a jury to hear the case and for an unspecified amount of money in general and punitive damages.
Commentary: Nevermind the fact that he was in the act of committing a felony in a stolen car and ran from the police and then tried to run them down!

dirty old man
05-11-2005, 09:31 AM
why wasn't the mother arrested for child neglect or something? At least someone should put her straight. Here comes Jessie, Sharpton and others to put the police down again.

redi4fun
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
OH PLEASE, take some responsibility lady. If the facts are straight, any one of us would have shot at the occupant.

Freak
05-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Can't wait 'till Johnny Cockroach comes crawling out from under the rug representing the family in a lawsuit over this incident.
No worries on that....He's been dead for around a couple of months. :)

Biglue
05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
Just read all this thread and I have to tell you, I'd be scared sh..less. I mean I don't want to die especially in the line of duty (at work). Just picture the scene. The kid is cornered and it's dark, you don't know who you are dealing with and he starts backing in to you. I'm sorry it was a young kid but ffff come on. I am hispanic and have never had any mistreatment from a cop. All it takes is a little respect and courtesy and you will be on your way, citation or not. I've even been cut a break or two. Some of the opinions placed on these forums really slam some minorities not that we don't deserve it at times but I just want you to know that even as a Hispanic American I give the LEOS a thumbs up. I think that for the most part they are do gooders and do make a difference. After all they all have families of their own they want to see everynight after work. Just letting you know that we do as a group appreciate what you guys do. Good job and I hope the cops involved get some light at the end of this deal. I'm sure the cop who shot up the kid has to have a huge load on his consciece. I know I would.

JackieV
05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I was just talking about this issue with my family the other night.
Personally I think, that if this kid was at home like he should have been then he would still be alive today. Not that anyone deserves to die.
Police are trained to protect and serve, "not all are perfect" but we have to think and put ourselves in their position. That officer is handeling the situation as he or she should. I honestly think sometimes the gun gets fired off too many times in order to stop the bad person but what would you do to protect yourself and the innocent people around you.

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
I honestly think sometimes the gun gets fired off too many times in order to stop the bad person but what would you do to protect yourself and the innocent people around you.
In the academy you are trained to fire until the perp is stopped, it may take 1 it may take 5. And to all the people that want them to shoot them in the leg, that's a Hollywood thing. You are taught to shoot at center mass.

BoatPI
05-11-2005, 03:29 PM
And last week LAPD announced that they will try to recruit 760 new officers over the next year. It will be difficult to get 400.

JackieV
05-11-2005, 03:31 PM
In the academy you are trained to fire until the perp is stopped, it may take 1 it may take 5. And to all the people that want them to shoot them in the leg, that's a Hollywood thing. You are taught to shoot at center mass.
See, I didn't know that. Who says they should be shot in the leg, that is just too funny, it does sound like a Hollywood thing! LOL
Maybe then that part of the training should be changed a little bit...? Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think that if your out getting into trouble your bound to run into some.