PDA

View Full Version : Edelebrock Aluminum Heads on a 455 Olds

cyclone
04-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Anyone used these heads yet? Supposedly, I can gain 50hp by bolting them onto my motor and was just wondering what they did or didn't do for anyone else's boat.

Wet Dream
04-11-2002, 03:34 PM
I asked an engine builder about it, he said the gain you'll get for the $$ you spend isn't worth it. Also that the heads won't get hot enough to truly benefit from it. Now thats what he says, not that I can believe everything he says, but I don't know.

Cas
04-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Idunno, we had a guy with aluminum heads onhis Olds last year at our Tower Park Run. He pretty much kicked butt on all the other Olds. and Chevys. and Fords.
As far as being worth the money, that would have to be left up to you.

HavasuDreamin'
04-12-2002, 06:14 AM
I would think performance increases would depend on how much better the aluminum heads flow versus your current heads. I am not positive, but just because the heads are aluminum doesn't mean they are going to perform better, rather, aluminum heads generally are ported and polished giving better flow. You could also look into cast heads from DART or somebody like that. I have heard that there are possible problems between the aluminum heads and iron block when it comes to heat and operating temperatures since the two metals respond differently to the same temp. I am no expert though?

Blazerjet
04-12-2002, 06:59 AM
Edelbrock Heads per Mondello are the shit Tims boat at Tower ran 72 i think with a pretty mild 455 (Built very Well) Edelbrock put alot of R&D in these heads and they flow alot better numbers than a good set of ported stock heads and that is a problem with olds is the heads flow SB numbers not BB so yes i will be adding them to my motor in the near future for 1500 i dont think you could build a set of stock heads that will compare

bobz
04-12-2002, 07:14 AM
these heads kick ass. they flow alot better than stock. to start with they have the raised exaust ports and flow about 40% better if you have headers and you also loose about a 100 lb's in weight they come with ss valves and stud and guide plates as for the aluminum heat transfer ask the bbc boys about aluminum heads they will tell you they rock. these heads are a mojor improvement but of course it depends on how big a cam you have as well but lets say you have a 540 to 600 lift cam i would say 50 to 100 hp gain with out a problem. but they are 1299.00 i think and that is alot of money just depends how fast you want to go and at what price. severial of my friens have used them in their cars and think they are great. if i was starting all over i would buy a set. i use a ported set of c heads and they work pretty good. i have used batton heads before and they are wonderfull exept they take major mods to make them work the edlebrock heads bolt on without a problem. im not sure if you are going to use NO2 them you might want to go to half inch heads bolts like the 403 olds you will not blow a head gasket with the bigger head bolts. my friend has runs 13 to one with stage 3 power shot without a problem. i myself like low compression under 10 to 1 saves on gas.

cyclone
04-12-2002, 07:50 AM
thanks for all the info guys. I was impressed by the flow numbers and just wanted hear some first hand experience. I'm running right at 70 mph and want to go faster so i think I'll buy 'em and see what happens. Thanks again and I'll let you know i gain after I re-dyno the motor.

Bense468
04-12-2002, 12:12 PM
Mike look into the Merlin heads. I am not sure if they make them for an olds but you should check them out. I have a set of Merlins. I like the Dart heads they are just so expensive though. If I was building a all out NJBA boat or something I would definatly run the Darts or have some work done to my Merlins. The merlins will give you about 60 to 100 gains. I have heard the same thing as Havasu Dreamin about the aluminum heads cool down to fast and don't hold the heat as well as the Cast heads. I was told that if you buy a set of aluminum Merlin heads over the cast heads that you have to put about another g into them to get them to work as well or better as the cast heads out of the box. This is just what I heard from guys that work with this kind of stuff and have built some fast flatties.

cyclone
04-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Bense- I'll call them and see if they make a set for my olds. I'm pretty sure they don't but you never know. Hey I'm covering another event in laughlin next weekend, what are you doing? Also, what are you doing memorial weekend. I wanted to check to see if you and Mikey were going to havasu. Later man.

cyclone
04-12-2002, 12:27 PM
ok neither world products nor Dart make heads for Oldsmobile motors. It looks like the Edelbrock and Mondello Modified heads are the only ones available.

Bense468
04-12-2002, 12:47 PM
I am not sure, If I don't go out to laughlin then I will probably be installing the motor and pump back into the boat. I am painting it this weekend. As far as memorial, I would love to say that I am going because I always do go but I think there might be a chance that I miss it this year. I have a lot of stuff going on and I need to do a lot to the boat. I need to break it in after I get it all back together. I will let you know how things are turning out

cyclone
04-12-2002, 12:49 PM
cool. just keep in touch, if you go to laughlin, we are leaving friday morning and bringing my boat and a few other people are bringing their pwc's. Let me know if you need any help putting your boat back together too.

Taylorman
04-14-2002, 06:43 PM
Edelbrock is the only mfg. of alum heads for the olds. Edelbrock told me to expect about a 30hp increase by just bolting them on. I just went to the drag races in Houston this weekend and saw a pair. They are awesome compared to stock heads. I will post pictures in media center later.
Kevin

1quickjet
04-14-2002, 07:45 PM
Cyclone, saw your rig heading for Elsinore today. Nice ride! Only got to see it for a second but looked real cool! How did it run?

77charger
04-14-2002, 07:59 PM
Cyclone did you go out ot elsinore with boaterbill?

cyclone
04-15-2002, 07:59 AM
Hey guys, yeah I went out to elsinore. After blowing a tire on the trailer and not being able to launch w/o baffles, I made it on the water at about 4pm. It sucked but at least i saw the sunset. The water sucked ass too and I didn't get to open her up until we were leaving when things calmed down. I didn't go with boater bill, was he there? What does his boat look like?