PDA

View Full Version : V-Drive Disassmbly Questions

sifocalpoint
02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Well i just got a new casale 10 degree gearbox from a man and it has never been used.
1. Whats the best way to cut the plate so it matches the top of the cases real nice.
2. If i strip the box down to take the cases to get polished, is it difficult to put it back togther, whats really involved. Is it hard to set the gear lash.
Thanks Guys, your always very helpful

repo man
02-09-2005, 05:30 PM
just put it back together EXACTLY the way it was an it will be ok. remember to count the gaskets and put it back together the same way.

GofastRacer
02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
I use a bandsaw and then sand the edge. If you don't want to use braces leave as much material along the side of the case as possible.
When taking it apart, make note of all your end cap shims and where the spacers go. The easiest way is to make a little chicken shit diagram and note where everything goes. If it's a new one the backlash is already set and unless you replace parts all you need to do is put it back together EXACTLY how it was and you'll be good to go!.. :cool:

Moneypitt
02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
As Art said, AND no sealers. Just use white grease on the gaskets, and do not re use any torn gaskets. Buy new of the same thickness. Do not force the bolts in the "pem" nuts. Make sure everything is lined up and started before tightening any bolts...........Oh yeah, the snap ring groove in the top bearing MUST face out, or you will never get it out again............MP
PS you do have a top bearing puller? right??

Itsahobby
02-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Check out the Gear Heads forum. Click the Tech Links thread and go down 2 or 3 threads. Hud put up a exploded view of the Casale and Gofast put up some instructions.
Hobby
Well i just got a new casale 10 degree gearbox from a man and it has never been used.
1. Whats the best way to cut the plate so it matches the top of the cases real nice.
2. If i strip the box down to take the cases to get polished, is it difficult to put it back togther, whats really involved. Is it hard to set the gear lash.
Thanks Guys, your always very helpful

superdave013
02-11-2005, 08:49 AM
you need one of these
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/489bearing_puller_bearing-med.jpg

rrrr
02-11-2005, 09:55 AM
you need one of these
I believe we have just been spammed.
:D :D

Stab-n-Steer
02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
I believe we have just been spammed.
:D :D
No way! Not from SuperDave! :crossx:
S&S

superdave013
02-11-2005, 11:36 AM
That's right, no spam from me :D
You can get one of these babies from Rex Marine after UPS drops off on Monday. :cool:
Or I guess ya could just get to screwdrivers and pry it out. Oh wait, you guys cut up your screwdrivers to make prop keys! LMAO

Norseman
02-11-2005, 01:14 PM
That's right, no spam from me :D
You can get one of these babies from Rex Marine after UPS drops off on Monday. :cool:
Or I guess ya could just get to screwdrivers and pry it out. Oh wait, you guys cut up your screwdrivers to make prop keys! LMAO
MAybe you can use a couple of church keys.... :rolleyes:
You don't need them to open most bottles or cans anymore. :cool:

Retired flatbottom racer
02-11-2005, 01:49 PM
MAybe you can use a couple of church keys.... :rolleyes:
You don't need them to open most bottles or cans anymore. :cool:
Most people on this board probably never used a church key and don't know what it even is!

rrrr
02-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Most people on this board probably never used a church key and don't know what it even is!
Time to go camping, get out your church key and P-38.....
Better go trim my nose hair. :D :D

superdave013
02-11-2005, 06:27 PM
P 38, I have not heard that one in awhile.

Moneypitt
02-11-2005, 07:17 PM
If I remember right it would take you awhile to get a bottle cap off with a P38..........a long while............MP

steelcomp
02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
P 38, I have not heard that one in awhile.
Cool....I still got mine. :cool:

GofastRacer
02-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Better treasure it, they are still available but they are a classic now!.. :2purples:
P-38 (http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/p38vintage.htm)

rrrr
02-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Better treasure it, they are still available but they are a classic now!.. :2purples:
P-38 (http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/p38vintage.htm)
Haha, I bought the set. I love old military stuff, and the WWII P-38 made it a "must buy".
Just FYI, lefties like me have a bit of trouble using them. You hafta do it right handed or they don't work.

GofastRacer
02-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Haha, I bought the set. I love old military stuff, and the WWII P-38 made it a "must buy".
Just FYI, lefties like me have a bit of trouble using them. You hafta do it right handed or they don't work.
Yeah and they never made a lefty, LOL... :D

rrrr
02-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Good link, Gofast, that was some fun reading.....

FlatStupid
02-12-2005, 08:27 PM
Most people on this board probably never used a church key and don't know what it even is!I just used a church key to open up a can of champagne! Good thing there is no "born on" date! :rollside: :rollside:

GofastRacer
02-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I got a bunch of em (if I can find them)looks like they may be collectors items now!.. :D

GofastRacer
02-12-2005, 08:51 PM
Dang talk about highjacking a thread!.. :D :D