PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever fixed their dryer before???

HOOTER SLED-
02-09-2005, 06:13 PM
The thing is working but it's not getting hot. I'm assuming it has some sort of igniter in there. Heeeeeeeeeeeeellp!!!!! Where can I get these parts?????

Fiat48
02-09-2005, 06:15 PM
gas or electric dryer?

Boatcop
02-09-2005, 06:17 PM
No.
But I fixed my dog.

JetBoatRich
02-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Is the Gas on :hammer2:
Better check the ignitor or thermo coupler :D

mickeyfinn
02-09-2005, 06:21 PM
What kind of dryer? Make and model would be helpful.

coolchange
02-09-2005, 06:21 PM
What ever you do DON'T lube it up with WD40!!!

HOOTER SLED-
02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
It's gas
Whirlpool
Model #LGR7646EQ3

Kachina26
02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
I had a similar problem, my burner was coming on but no real heat. I had a plugged exhaust tube. Worth checking into.

purrfecttremor
02-09-2005, 06:38 PM
just had the same problem.as said above tube was clogged up as well as 4in exaust pipe.depending how long your exaust is snake it then blow it out with a leaf blower.but first disconnect exaust tube & see if burner stays lit.if it does this may be your answere.

HOOTER SLED-
02-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Go here and answer the questions. Don't know if it will work, I just googled Whirlpool and this repair center came up.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0070.asp?Brand=5
Thanks Forensic, that's site was great. Anyone wanna come do it for me??? Beer is on me. :rollside: :rollside:

goeasy
02-09-2005, 06:43 PM
check the exhaust tube and also check the outlet outside the house. I had the same problem and the flapper was stuck shut. I also had a problem with a spider web that was in the igniter after I took it out of storage.

jlnorthrup122
02-09-2005, 06:45 PM
didn't you ever watch the red green show Sheesh!!!!!
http://geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/8333/ducttape/2rolls.gif
:D :D :D

Lake Ape
02-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I just replaced the door switch on my dryer and used this website! It was $32 dollars cheaper than what the service guy wanted for the same part!
Partsolver.com (http://www.partsolver.com/Default.asp)
Good Luck!

HOOTER SLED-
02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
No Problemo HS. What was the problem?
Forensic
You mean you think I got to it that fast???? :D
It spins, but get hot. Looks like I need to check a couple of things. I'm gonna start with the exhaust hose.

Mtg Pro
02-09-2005, 07:04 PM
They are like VCR's, buy a new one. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

BOBALOO
02-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I had the same problem with my dryer when the outlet vent hose got plugged. The heat generated from the plug-up burned out an overheat sensor (dont remember the official name) on the back panel and caused the burner to quit working. About 20$ later I had fixed the dryer with the part I ordered online. If I remember correctly to test it w/o a meter you can just use a wire jumper on the 2 wires going to it and start it like normal to test it.
Good luck..

BOBALOO
02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
It was called a thermal fuse and looked like this
http://www.repairclinic.com/dbimages/00000689/00208690.jpg

HOOTER SLED-
02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
I had the same problem with my dryer when the outlet vent hose got plugged. The heat generated from the plug-up burned out an overheat sensor (dont remember the official name) on the back panel and caused the burner to quit working. About 20$ later I had fixed the dryer with the part I ordered online. If I remember correctly to test it w/o a meter you can just use a wire jumper on the 2 wires going to it and start it like normal to test it.
Good luck..
Yea the site mentioned something about it having a fuse of some sort that can burn out if the exhaust tube gets blocked up. You mean I can test it w/out an ohm meter by using just a light tester????? :confused:

BOBALOO
02-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Slide it out from the wall and look at the back of the dryer. There will be a small plastic covered fuse held in place by 1 screw. It is only about 1" wide and 2" long and probably white. Take the screw out and unplug the two wires going to it and hook them together. you might need a small piece of wire to do this. Try it out.

BOBALOO
02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
I forgot that I had to take the back cover off which has about 10 screws holding it on. I would NOT let the wires touch anything either just to be safe. Dont use a 12v tester on 110v either.
Let us know if it gets hot. (the dryer not the Mrs) :D

moneypit
02-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Maybe you have old gas and its not flammable anymore. Ya never know.

Scream
02-09-2005, 07:40 PM
I had a similar problem, my burner was coming on but no real heat. I had a plugged exhaust tube. Worth checking into.
this is the first thing I'd check, worked for me before.

Kachina26
02-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Maybe you have old gas and its not flammable anymore. Ya never know.
You didn't put diesel fuel in it, did you?

Rexone
02-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Also check the lint screen. The dryer fab softener sheets can plug them up over time and the look clean at a glance but are actually not clean at all. Hot water, a little soap and a brush fixes that problem.

Ntwotrance
02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Go here and answer the questions. Don't know if it will work, I just googled Whirlpool and this repair center came up.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0070.asp?Brand=5
I used this site 2 nights ago when the washer wouldn't drain...found a sock in the pump plugging it up...go figure, now I know where all the missing socks go..

rivrbrat
02-09-2005, 08:01 PM
I have a Whirlpool dryer and had the same problem. I had to replace the igniter twice. When I pulled the igniter out it had came out in pieces. If you hear a clicking noise and it never gets hot it is probably your igniter. If it doesn't click at all then it could be the thermal switch or the gas regulator. Hope this helps.....
PS These parts are available at your local appliance parts bank. Anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars. If your dryer is like mine with the access door in the front you don't have to take any screws out.

ROZ
02-10-2005, 10:40 AM
We have a winna!
Went throught the same thing recently...
Spent a grip on the new Kenmore HE4t washer and dryer last week and the dryer was not drying clothes. To troubleshoot it, I detached the dryer vent tube from the dryer and ran the unit. Worked great. This means that somewhere in the exhasut tube in the wall that there is a clog. So I have yet another honeydo....

purrfecttremor
02-10-2005, 11:26 AM
We have a winna!
Went throught the same thing recently...
Spent a grip on the new Kenmore HE4t washer and dryer last week and the dryer was not drying clothes. To troubleshoot it, I detached the dryer vent tube from the dryer and ran the unit. Worked great. This means that somewhere in the exhasut tube in the wall that there is a clog. So I have yet another honeydo....
ROZ READ MY PREVIOUS POST.My line runs 25ft under cement & i was able to clear it even though a chimeny sweep couldnt!

ROZ
02-10-2005, 11:29 AM
depending how long your exaust is snake it then blow it out with a leaf blower.but first disconnect exaust tube
Thanks for the suggestion!!!! I'll get'r done tonight! I have a bitchen hi output leaf blower :D:D:D

RP1
02-10-2005, 11:39 AM
just had the same problem.as said above tube was clogged up as well as 4in exaust pipe.depending how long your exaust is snake it then blow it out with a leaf blower.but first disconnect exaust tube & see if burner stays lit.if it does this may be your answere.
I had the same issue. The clogged vent would not allow the pilot to stay lit. Once I cleaned it out, she purred like a kitten