PDA

View Full Version : Splatter Paint!

Waldo
02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
This issue has bothered my for quite some time now. I don't know why, but the splatter paint inside my engine compartment has got to be the ugliest part of my boat and any other boat that I have ever seen, in my opinion.
Does any other boater feel the same way? Why do boat manufacturers continue to use this 80's throwback feature on their boats? Does anyone ever request that the boat manufacturer NOT include this splatter paint and do something else to the engine compartment when building their custom boat?
Just my thoughts... :idea:

Sweet Addiction
02-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I don't think its that bad, but I can see where some might not like it. I really like the idea of using aluminum diamiond plate tread in the engine compartment. Speaking of which I put some in mine Around Christmas, I am happy with it.
battery side. Still working on it. Upgrading to dual blue tops etc.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1859DSC00788.JPG
storage side
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1859DSC00789.JPG

BADBLOWN572
02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Splatter painting has been around for a long time. A lot of people love it and a lot of people hate it. Personally I hate it. The reason why they do it is because just plain white gel coat can still show lines from where the glass overlays and has a tendancy to get real dirty. Splatter painting does not show dirt as much and also does not let the glass lines show up.
Some of the manufacturers are now finish painting their boats on the inside. This is extremely time consuming and costs $$$. I did it on mine because I wanted it to be different than any other splatter painted boat. I spent 3 days grinding and sanding, one day painting, and one day polishing. Long tiresome process, but worth it in the end.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1598IMG_0057.jpg

Stealth Marine
02-10-2005, 10:57 AM
There are certainly options on how you have it finished.
One of the simple things to do is ask to have a CLEAR COAT applied to the inside. This will make keeping it clean MUCH MUCH easier. Otherwise the raw gel coat will just never come as clean as you want.
As an alternative cover the inside of the engine bay with Stretch-to-fit Headliner. Or build pannels and hide everything you don't want to be seen.

RexRathburn
02-10-2005, 11:10 AM
When I had my Shockwave built I requested that they did NOT splatter paint the engine compartment, so it was all white. I fall into the category of hating spatter paint. :eat:

mirvin
02-10-2005, 11:44 AM
HEy DrivnMCrazy, off topic but it's something that came up a few months ago here in the forums:
I noticed you fire extinguisher mounted in the engine compartment. How will you get to it if your motor catches fire?? Most people are now mounting the extinguisher somewhere near the helm.
mirvin :rollside:

Waldo
02-10-2005, 12:10 PM
There are certainly options on how you have it finished.
One of the simple things to do is ask to have a CLEAR COAT applied to the inside. This will make keeping it clean MUCH MUCH easier. Otherwise the raw gel coat will just never come as clean as you want.
As an alternative cover the inside of the engine bay with Stretch-to-fit Headliner. Or build pannels and hide everything you don't want to be seen.
Mine has carpeted panels on each side with carpet on the floor. Only the back portion of the engine compartment has the splatter. I purchased my boat used and had no chioce. It's nice that the manufacturers offer options.

BADBLOWN572
02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
HEy DrivnMCrazy, off topic but it's something that came up a few months ago here in the forums:
I noticed you fire extinguisher mounted in the engine compartment. How will you get to it if your motor catches fire?? Most people are now mounting the extinguisher somewhere near the helm.
mirvin :rollside:
The only safe type of fire extinguishers to have under the hatch are automatic halon systems. Definitely a worthy expense. I have seen guys have a fire under their hatch before and when they lifted the hatch, it provided air to the fire and flashed blowing both parties out of the boat. I have a total of 3 systems in my boat, one extinguisher behind the back seat, one in the open bow, and an automatic halon in the back. The nice thing about the halon system is that it also lowers insurance.