PDA

View Full Version : Is your boat to loud

vodkarocks
02-10-2005, 10:01 AM
After reading the article in ***boat about testing boats, I don't see how they are going to able to test boats at any launch ramps and get accurate readings. Even in the middle of the lake it looks like it will be difficult if any other boats are driving by.
How do you guys think they are going to enforce the law?

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 10:05 AM
The changes in the CA law, while more restrictive, at least now establish clear guidelenes for the testing procedures. I think it will be easier to test under the new guidelines than it was under the previous. While other ambient noise will be a contributing factor to on the water tests, it's certainly not going to contribute as much as it would sitting at a dock, say at a marina, and having a test conducted.

Coleitis22
02-10-2005, 10:09 AM
After reading the article in ***boat about testing boats, I don't see how they are going to able to test boats at any launch ramps and get accurate readings. Even in the middle of the lake it looks like it will be difficult if any other boats are driving by.
Is there a decibel rating to determine what is too loud??

boatslayer
02-10-2005, 10:10 AM
i hate noise laws

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Is there a decibel rating to determine what is too loud??
Personally, no. But legally, yes. In the State of California the noise emitted from the exhaust of your boat may not exceed 88 dbs at idle, 39 inches from the back of the transom, ~3-4 feet above the wareline. This is effective January 1, 2005.

Her454
02-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Is your boat too loud?
:yuk: There is NO such thing as too loud. :D

HCS
02-10-2005, 10:24 AM
I agree.....

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 10:32 AM
I also agree.....
But my wallet got cited for it once already :mad:

vodkarocks
02-10-2005, 10:33 AM
but how are they going to test accurately when the article said even the outside temp affects the readings. Which means you could pass in the morning but not in the afternoon

Dimarco21
02-10-2005, 10:33 AM
I also agree.....
But my wallet got cited for it once already :mad:
How much was the fine?

Phat Matt
02-10-2005, 10:37 AM
Hey Vodkarocks, you should use one of these for your avatar. :D
http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_80721856
http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_83823151http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_26921566 http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_85347611 http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_96104950 http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_53242919 http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_19545730 http://store1.yimg.com/I/vodkaguide_1804_84230486
These are just some of my favorites. :D

Three Days Only
02-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Im screwed no matter what!! How much was that ticket. I hear that the first offense is 185.00. Not bad considering full exhaust for my boat including the new tail pipes is going to run well over 7K.
The coast gaurd tested me in long beach last year at 120db's, back to the point, im screwed.

BADBLOWN572
no way to pass. The law hinders high performance boats completely. I will not pass no matter what I do. :cry:

vodkarocks
Hey Matt
I like the Effen but I don't know how to change the avatar

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 10:42 AM
but how are they going to test accurately when the article said even the outside temp affects the readings. Which means you could pass in the morning but not in the afternoon
That's true, the outside temperatures can have an impact on the readings. Perhaps there will be some built-in discretion, say 2 dbs, when they enforce it. The thing is, this is not like a speeding ticket where there is a clear way to measure the speed of a vehicle. With sound, the ambient temperature has an impact and even the proximiety of the testing device has an impact. Six inches in either direction can make a difference of 1-2 dbs. This will help boats that are borderline, but that will be of no help to the guy that is 100 dbs.

MRS FLYIN VEE
02-10-2005, 10:46 AM
I agree, But my mouth is another story.. :shift: ;)

BOBALOO
02-10-2005, 10:46 AM
My wife tells me the stereo is too loud ALL the time but I think it could use a couple more sets of speakers. In all reality, I have always liked the level of loudness that my BBC provides but since the exhaust is thru the transom (which BTW is good for 5mph I hear) and under the swim step I decided to put some clamp-on silencers on it. I have not had it out to test it yet but they seem to have toned down the sharpness of the exhaust noise. I got them from GGB for about 330$ and am totally happy with how they look. Half of the silencers goes into the existing tip and the other half is outside the transom. I will feel more comfortable in knowing that I will not be singled out for exhaust noise this year and the side benefit is how much louder the stereo will be running down the lake.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418exh_2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418exh_1.jpg
[img]

Jbb
02-10-2005, 10:49 AM
In a word.....No.. :p

Phat Matt
02-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Hey Matt
I like the Effen but I don't know how to change the avatar
Good stuff! Didn't mean to jack the thread peeps. :mix:

boatslayer
02-10-2005, 10:53 AM
there has to be something we can do to get these laws changed ,,

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 10:55 AM
there has to be something we can do to get these laws changed ,,
Hopefully we can. We need to be organized. As the article says, from what I've been told since I have not yet read it, donate to the legal fund. It's a start.

Sanger D
02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
just another revenue builder!!! once the powers at be see the amount of rec. boaters and the money the industry is making,then they want a peice of the pie.All the boating laws have pretty much stayed the same for decades but now they need a new one to get their hand in the bowl,so, its a noise law,they take note of enough complaints and get a bill passed (with a little dirt ) and walla,a noise polution law,the law has been around for years but not inforced very much but now it will be because they have a dedicated dbl to go by,the law sucks and so does anyone who chooses to inforce it!!! :devil: because they can easily look the other way,(like theyve done for years)and NOT take money out of your familys mouth,its funny cause most guys inforcing it more than likely have a high HP boat at home,its just like a cop pulling over a cop for speeding, ya think a ticket got wrote???harleys where around for years before they came up with the bikes NOW being too loud,so you see its just a matter of time before it cathes up with the boaters,its all about REVENUE,MONEY,the law absolutely helps or saves NO ONE!!!!!any cop that tells you different is lying and well,is probably in the prosess of writing your ticket :notam: so I run after 5 in the summer time cause the NATZIS are ussually gone after that!!! GOOD LUCK and HAPPY ALUDING!!! :cool:

Hustler
02-10-2005, 11:06 AM
My wife tells me the stereo is too loud ALL the time but I think it could use a couple more sets of speakers. In all reality, I have always liked the level of loudness that my BBC provides but since the exhaust is thru the transom (which BTW is good for 5mph I hear) and under the swim step I decided to put some clamp-on silencers on it. I have not had it out to test it yet but they seem to have toned down the sharpness of the exhaust noise. I got them from GGB for about 330$ and am totally happy with how they look. Half of the silencers goes into the existing tip and the other half is outside the transom. I will feel more comfortable in knowing that I will not be singled out for exhaust noise this year and the side benefit is how much louder the stereo will be running down the lake.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418exh_2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418exh_1.jpg
[img]
Bobaloo, Who is GGB? Also what is the poutside diamiter of those?

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 11:16 AM
my fine was $110 for 92db (that was at mead)
the rump ranger at the havasu marina measured me 88db, no changes to the boat....
definite BS
3DO, 120DB, you're definitely screwed....
You're right I'd rather pay the fine a couple times, besides that.....yours, Blings, Danny's, all these offenders boats sound so bitchin' I'd hate to muffle them...
Kinda like when the NHRA went to 90% a few years ago, it quieted the fuel cars down :cry:

BOBALOO
02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I found out about GGB.ca from the Offshore Only forums and they are out of Canada but I believe they have some distributors in the US. The od on these is 4 1/8" and they measure 7# long outside the transom. The existing tips have flappers in them already and these dont interfere with them. Grant from GGB can make anything you want but these are off the shelf.

Mandelon
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
We can make you loud guys pass. Just get some 90 degree bends and some straight pipe. Clamp em on and run them suckers down under the water line....the deeper you go, the quieter it gets...... :D

Dimarco21
02-10-2005, 11:25 AM
I checked my boat last weekend. No mufflers, I was 108 db.....I think I have some work to do to make 90 db.

BOBALOO
02-10-2005, 11:37 AM
I believe at 90db you will still get ticketed even if you have a badge to flash.
And Mandelons suggestion is called a Snuffler, It has no packing but while it does make you quiet at idle it would be just about as loud running down the lake. Sounds like reason enough for Johnny Law to stop you for an inspection.

purrfecttremor
02-10-2005, 11:38 AM
I found out about GGB.ca from the Offshore Only forums and they are out of Canada but I believe they have some distributors in the US. The od on these is 4 1/8" and they measure 7# long outside the transom. The existing tips have flappers in them already and these dont interfere with them. Grant from GGB can make anything you want but these are off the shelf.
do these just clamp on with a 7/16 bolt?if so how long is your original tip?

BADBLOWN572
02-10-2005, 11:40 AM
I checked my boat last weekend. No mufflers, I was 108 db.....I think I have some work to do to make 90 db.
If memory serves, Party Cat used his DB meter on my boat and I was at 102db at over 200 yards away at 2700 rpm. When I got rolled in Parker, I was told that at 50' and 2k rpm's I was "far beyond 100db's." I am screwed, but the thing is that I like the way my boat sounds and I really don't want to do anything about it.
I would argue that loud boats are a safety device. They let people know when you are coming and know to stay away.

Party Cat
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
If memory serves, Party Cat used his DB meter on my boat and I was at 102db at over 200 yards away at 2700 rpm. When I got rolled in Parker, I was told that at 50' and 2k rpm's I was "far beyond 100db's." I am screwed, but the thing is that I like the way my boat sounds and I really don't want to do anything about it.
I would argue that loud boats are a safety device. They let people know when you are coming and know to stay away.
102db+ Danny....but I'm sure you were at least 4000-5000 rpm at the time :D :D

THOR
02-10-2005, 11:49 AM
I agree 100%.
BTW, my 496HO will stay just the way it is, especially when you big HP guys are around. I wont get hassled at all.
3DO and Danny,
Give me your river schedule so I can have you guys act as flankers for me. :D

Her454
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
All of you guys need to start wearing Bikini's. Works for me. :D

BOBALOO
02-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Purrfect, these clamp on with a with a 3/8 bolt and GGB supplies a small drill bit and two self tapping stainless screws to install as a second securing spot so they dont end up on the bottom of the lake. I was lucky and had some tips that stuck out about 4" but I think about 1 1/2 '' is all you would need. Mine are the shorty high flow louver but they have stuff for every exhaust design.
www.ggb.ca

Party Cat
02-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Purrfect, these clamp on with a with a 3/8 bolt and GGB supplies a small drill bit and two self tapping stainless screws to install as a second securing spot so they dont end up on the bottom of the lake. I was lucky and had some tips that stuck out about 4" but I think about 1 1/2 '' is all you would need. Mine are the shorty high flow louver but they have stuff for every exhaust design.
www.ggb.ca
Bobby....come out to the Pyro show next weekend and let's see how quiet it is now :D

Mandelon
02-10-2005, 12:07 PM
We need more pics...

Party Cat
02-10-2005, 12:19 PM
We need more pics...
I think I might be able to find a few :D :D :D

nodigg
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
They let'n you post at work already!
I just re-did my silent choice 77db thru hull to under the water no silent choice. Hope it works. Hope the law does not change again too soon to include on plane readings!

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Hope the law does not change again too soon to include on plane readings!
That has been, and still is, part of the law.

Her454
02-10-2005, 12:52 PM
They let'n you post at work already!
ROTFLMAO! Your kidding right? Post, Email (Massive), Yacking, vacation scheduling, ebay surfing............. You name it! :D

nodigg
02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
ROTFLMAO! Your kidding right? Post, Email (Massive), Yacking, vacation scheduling, ebay surfing............. You name it! :D
You can take the PC away from the computer but you can't take computer out of the PC.....or something like that...

Jordy
02-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Come to think of it, I know I have a few around here too, some you haven't even seen PC. ;) :D

nodigg
02-10-2005, 12:56 PM
That has been, and still is, part of the law.
I'm so under educated! So what is the drive by portion anywho?

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 01:17 PM
So what is the drive by portion anywho?
654.05. Motorboat noise. (a) A person may not operate a motorized recreational vessel in or upon the inland waters, or in or upon ocean waters that are within one mile of the coastline of the state, in a manner that exceeds the following noise levels:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1993, a noise level of 90 dB(A)when subjected to the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J2005 (Stationary Sound Level Measurement Procedure for Pleasure Motorboats).
(2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1993, a noise level of 88 dB(A) when subjected to the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J2005 (Stationary Sound Level Measurement Procedure for Pleasure Motorboats).
(3) A noise level of 75 dB(A) measured as specified in the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J1970 (Shoreline Sound Level Measurement CALIFORNIA BOATING LAW Procedure). However, a measurement of noise level that is in compliance with this paragraph does not preclude the conducting of a test of noise levels under paragraph (1) or (2).
SNIP
(e) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2005.
I can't remember for sure, but I believe the SAE J1970 is an on-plane drive by test from no less than 50 ft. I know Essex502 has a copy of the SAE J1970 procedures.

Party Cat
02-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Hey...check my IP's....I'm not doing any of this at work... :D :D

NOTALENT
02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
654.05. Motorboat noise. (a) A person may not operate a motorized recreational vessel in or upon the inland waters, or in or upon ocean waters that are within one mile of the coastline of the state, in a manner that exceeds the following noise levels:
(1) For engines manufactured before January 1, 1993, a noise level of 90 dB(A)when subjected to the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J2005 (Stationary Sound Level Measurement Procedure for Pleasure Motorboats).
(2) For engines manufactured on or after January 1, 1993, a noise level of 88 dB(A) when subjected to the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J2005 (Stationary Sound Level Measurement Procedure for Pleasure Motorboats).
(3) A noise level of 75 dB(A) measured as specified in the Society of Automotive Engineers Recommended Practice SAE J1970 (Shoreline Sound Level Measurement CALIFORNIA BOATING LAW Procedure). However, a measurement of noise level that is in compliance with this paragraph does not preclude the conducting of a test of noise levels under paragraph (1) or (2).
SNIP
(e) This section shall become operative on January 1, 2005.
I can't remember for sure, but I believe the SAE J1970 is an on-plane drive by test from no less than 50 ft. I know Essex502 has a copy of the SAE J1970 procedures.
So since my block is for 1970-1979 this means I do not have to abide by these rules right???hehe.

Jordy
02-10-2005, 01:29 PM
So since my block is for 1970-1979 this means I do not have to abide by these rules right???hehe.
Read paragraph 1. Besides, what are you worried about??? Your sailboat will be pretty quiet anyway. :notam:

NOTALENT
02-10-2005, 01:34 PM
Read paragraph 1. Besides, what are you worried about??? Your sailboat will be pretty quiet anyway. :notam:
haha..uh uh..not anymore...My buddies dad just did me a huge favor...He is letting me borrow is 482 BBC for the summer..650hp..!!! :jawdrop: Yes!!! haha..Im gonna be kickin some ass!! Im headed out this weekend to start the assembly..and to measure the stroke on the cranks so REX can hook me up with the right oil pan!! :eek:

NOTALENT
02-10-2005, 01:35 PM
oh..and damn I mis read paragraph one!!!

Jordy
02-10-2005, 01:40 PM
haha..uh uh..not anymore...My buddies dad just did me a huge favor...He is letting me borrow is 482 BBC for the summer..650hp..!!! :jawdrop:
Borrowing an engine? That sounds like nothing but trouble waiting to happen. 650hp? What drive is on your sailboat? You might not want to put that sail away just yet. ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
02-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Went back and re-read the whole section. Interestingly enough, the previous law did address engines manufactured prior to 1993. However, all of those provisions were removed with the new law. Unless I'm reading it wrong.
The whole text of the section can be found here (http://www.dbw.ca.gov/PDF/cbl2004.pdf) The section that deals with noise levels is 654 to 654.06

NOTALENT
02-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Borrowing an engine? That sounds like nothing but trouble waiting to happen. 650hp? What drive is on your sailboat? You might not want to put that sail away just yet. ;)
Yeah..I know..I didnt want to..but he is insisting. His whole shop is full of engines..and he wants to put it in..I have a bravo 1 drive in it now. I think that may need some work o handle it.

Mtg Pro
02-10-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm more concerned about ambient and reflective sound during the testing process. I have done some research and there is a formula that takes the ambient noise into consideration. The article made note how the reading jumped up when the boat 4 lanes over started up. I highly doubt that LE will take out their calculators to remove the ambient noise from the testing process. I have talked to a couple of the Havasu PD guys about this in the past and they recognize this issue. Reflective sound is a big issue at the Marina and next to the concrete walls at Windsor. I don't think that the Marina cares because they don't issue a ticket that can be challenged in court. I'll bet the Windsor checks will happen closer to the courtesy area.
This will clearly get more interesting as the weather heats up.

Essex_Sterling
02-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I have talked to a couple of the Havasu PD guys about this in the past and they recognize this issue. Reflective sound is a big issue at the Marina and next to the concrete walls at Windsor. I don't think that the Marina cares because they don't issue a ticket that can be challenged in court. I'll bet the Windsor checks will happen closer to the courtesy area.
This will clearly get more interesting as the weather heats up.
Nevermind the fact that the Marina is on leased land from the State of Arizona and as part of their lease is required to provide a public launch ramp. Or that since they are not a law enforcement agency they have no jurisdiction to conduct any type of one the water testing! And then there's the fact that one of the watercops for LHCPD is related to the Marina Manager!

purrfecttremor
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
BOBALOO please post your results when there available.these look pretty cool & reasonable compared to some of the others.summer is almost here & most of us are to ****ing loud :cry:

77charger
02-10-2005, 06:52 PM
NO I have thru hub exhaust it sounds like a vacum cleaner LOL.so i can launch anywhere at anytime without being noticed.(21 ft eliminator 350 mag) :sleeping:

Bling Bling
02-10-2005, 07:05 PM
I second that. The day i use mufflers is the day I quit high performance boating. Here's a helpful hint: if your loud, stay out of the channel and you've greatly increased your chances of getting a noise ticket on Havasu. That came straight from the water cop who handed me a 150 dollar noise ticket in the channel.

J540
02-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Im screwed no matter what!! How much was that ticket. I hear that the first offense is 185.00. Not bad considering full exhaust for my boat including the new tail pipes is going to run well over 7K.
The coast gaurd tested me in long beach last year at 120db's, back to the point, im screwed.
Iam at 145db's, but i think if i put clamp on's on, it will be ok. :cry: ...........................Maybe???? :D

THATJEFFGUY
02-10-2005, 08:20 PM
OK so I've been thinking :idea: Since most of the decibel meters I have seen are digital, I think it would be fairly easy to build some kind of instrument to "jam" the readings of the decibel meter in your favor. There has to some electronic gurus on here that could figure something out. What do you guys think ?

kevnmcd
02-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Iam at 145db's, but i think if i put clamp on's on, it will be ok. :cry: ...........................Maybe???? :D
I don't know of any silencer on the market that will quiet something down 55 db's at idle. :2purples:

Phat Daddy
02-10-2005, 08:28 PM
OK so I've been thinking :idea: Since most of the decibel meters I have seen are digital, I think it would be fairly easy to build some kind of instrument to "jam" the readings of the decibel meter in your favor. There has to some electronic gurus on here that could figure something out. What do you guys think ?
Thats the best idea I've read yet... come on people, we know there's some one out there that can do this. Just think of all the $$$ you could make.

Perfect Mixer
02-10-2005, 08:38 PM
How about having a hidden switch that retards the ignition timing say 8 deg. That is sure to make a 5-10db change. Of coarse you'd have to kick the idle at the same time. We could call it the noise kill switch!

THATJEFFGUY
02-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Thats the best idea I've read yet... come on people, we know there's some one out there that can do this. Just think of all the $$$ you could make.
Yeah I just thought of the $$$ ! Hell, I guess I should have done the research and gotten a patent before posting huh. Oh well..I get royalties !

Phat Daddy
02-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Yeah I just thoughth of the $$$ Hell, I guess I should have done the research and gotten a patent before posting huh. Oh well..I get royalties !
Yeah, you have to. That's only right.

77charger
02-10-2005, 08:45 PM
How about having a hidden switch that retards the ignition timing say 8 deg. That is sure to make a 5-10db change. Of coarse you'd have to kick the idle at the same time. We could call it the noise kill switch!
Dont think so! on boats with open headers you can have a water bypass valve see cop turn on water for headers to quiet it down.Bottom line they aint that stupid.

CrazyHippy
02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Hmmm....
I'm not bothered at all....
Well the Marina thing is BS, btu the new law wont affect me :mix:
BJH

77charger
02-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Hmmm....
I'm not bothered at all....
Well the Marina thing is BS, btu the new law wont affect me :mix:
BJH
same here with my lake cruiser probably quieter than your o/b unless you have a4 stroke o/b :rollside: but it only gos 60 on a good day :cry:

Havasu Cig
02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
The last trip I mad with the Cig to Havasu I had a Ranger at Windsor tell me I would not be able to launch there next year due to noise. I was running 500's with mufflers and the boat was not loud. Another reason I sold it and went with O/B's. Should be interesting to see what happens next year. :rolleyes:

ColeTR1
02-10-2005, 10:38 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/738baf.jpg
This is what I run 8 baffles and water injection. I’m trying to make my boat quite. It’s just hard to get 800 horses to be quite. Is it loud? Kind of!! You know when I go up and down the river everyone I see is clapping and giving me the thumbs up. Now that I’m thinking about it! I have never had anyone give me the finger or have I seen anyone cover their ears. So I’m thinking its not to loud for them. As a matter a fact I think they really like it. I know I like hearing a V8 at full song. That’s why I live on the Parker strip.

MAINEVENT
02-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I run slip in baffles when my kids are in my boat other than that i will take my chances and yank them when they will not be on board, Bling is right if you dont want a ticket dont cruise the channel or rev your $hit as you idle passed a patrol :hammer2: