PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Boating Brings in $191MM (Mayor Harvey Look)

TCHB
04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Mayor Harvey (What is he thinking when we wants boats to go away)
Marine industry brings in $191 million
By BRIAN DiTULLIO
With Lake Havasu at our toes, the marine industry has contributed a great deal to the local economy. In fact, the economic output is estimated to be $191 million annually.

AZJD
04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Mayor Harvey (What is he thinking when we wants boats to go away)
Marine industry brings in $191 million
By BRIAN DiTULLIO
With Lake Havasu at our toes, the marine industry has contributed a great deal to the local economy. In fact, the economic output is estimated to be $191 million annually.
This was a post in one of the other threads, that gives a rough $$$ amount to the business the poker run will bring in over just 3 days.
I have it at 200 boats participating. I am guessing the average is going to be 300 gallons (I am taking into consideration ALL boats, big and small. I am not really looking at trick fuel or anything.
300 X 200 = 60,000 gallons @ $3.75 per gallon = $225,000!!!
And how many of our friends will raft up? (100 X 50 gallons?) 5,000 gallons
Booze and food tab? (200 boats times $500 easily!) = $100,000
Hotel = $200,000 @ $1K per boat.
Hmmm, someone ought to bring this up to the city fathers! LOL

TCHB
04-21-2006, 02:49 PM
The leaders of Lake Havasu City are nuts!!!! If they loose 20% of the boat money, I wonder what his plan is going to be to make it up. The first place they could cut would be the channel police.

shueman
04-21-2006, 04:35 PM
We were down to Havi in Feb visiting family. They have lived and worked in town for some 15 years and, despite the increase in "everyday" population with the winter snowbirds, they don't spend "squat", to use her words. She much prefers the summer crowd.
Yea.....their RETIRED.....and like to travel CHEAP..... :crossx:
The tug-of-war, IMO, is that the summer antics / headlines are causing a decline in the winter influx / complaints from the snowbirds. Havasu has do manage that balance, between summer and winter lifestyles.
It's current and future economy is sustained/dependent on the boating community, like it or not. The snowbirds have lots of sandy desert to choose from to park their rigs; we need the lake.
Good luck, mayor... :skull:
For our group, we're done with Havi and headed back to our first love, the Lower Colorado.

ClownRoyal
04-21-2006, 04:41 PM
I like the quote by one Council Member "lets pick Morality over Money" in regards to the Channel. Are you kidding me? How about just enforce the existing laws and keep the Havasu locals employed.