PDA

View Full Version : Metallic ceramic coated headers

neverenuf
04-16-2001, 05:13 PM
Has anyone had their Basset or Rewarder headers coated with metallic ceramic, like Jet Hot? If so, does it look as good as chrome? Is it durable?

phillyray
04-17-2001, 11:36 AM
Some friends of mine have coated headers,look pretty good,not like chrome however the finish is very durable no blueing at all and they run them dry.

Squirtcha?
04-23-2001, 08:15 PM
I've seen them done and have considered having a set done myself. It more resembles polished aluminum than chrome. Not a bad look especially if you've got a polished intake and aluminum valve covers. Kinda all ties in together.

Vern S
05-17-2001, 08:49 AM
I had my Bassetts Jet-Hot coated, I think they look better than chrome. Not as shiny, I run them dry with no discoloration.

Gerrit
05-17-2001, 10:10 AM
Thats funny, In my experience with polished aluminum wheels on my vehicles. After I polish them, there isnt a set of chrome that can hold a candle to the deep shine of polished aluminum. Just my experience though

Racing Ray
05-17-2001, 12:52 PM
The coating looks more like aluminum paint. The finish depemds on how long they leave the headers in the tumbler. The more time tumbled the smoother the finish. Summit Racing sells the Tech-Line of ceramic coatings for the Do-it-yourselvers out there. The coatings are available in 3 basic types lubricating type for piston skirts, heat reflecting for piston domes, etc. Heat retaining coatings are also available. These are used now days for coating combustion chambers, valve springs, valves,undersides of intake manifolds, turbos both exhaust and intake sides. There is quite a bit of power to be gained by controlling where the heat is allowed to go or stay in an engine. If the alumacoat isn't important the black satain finish is actually a better product for exhaust systems the tempeture range is 1800 degrees F versus 1400 degrees for the alumacoat. Tech-line has a website to read more about ceramic coatings. http://www.techlinecoatings.com/