PDA

View Full Version : Caliber 1 versus SoCalHD

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Should the new owner of Caliber 1 be responsible for warranty liabilities of the previous owner? Did SoCalHD get screwed?
Details here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70567)

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
AFFIRMATIVE to both questions there sir

AquaBoogie
I doubt I would have left their facility $600 lighter.

OGShocker
Yes..but then again, maybe not. :hammerhea :hammerhea

WYRD
where is the poll? and Yes the bastards should fix it!!! too many choices on new boats out there to be leaving a customer hanging like this!

barbigrl
02-10-2005, 04:21 PM
WEll now I have a little bit of knowledge on this....Definitly the old owners can be held liable.....and the new....Both are!!!

Mrs. casean
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
Caliber 1 should definitely be responsible! Chris got SCREWED by them! :frown:

Havasu Hangin'
Where's Whipped Caliber when you need him?

dicudmore
I believe.....the NEW owner owned said company at time Chris took delivery of said boat....

barbigrl
02-10-2005, 04:25 PM
I believe.....the NEW owner owned said company at time Chris took delivery of said boat....
So he initially bought the boat from the old owner right??? But took delivery of it from the new?
The new Calibur one....is currently suing the old.....let me tell you the old owners have lawsuits left a right....and they evade service!!!

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 04:26 PM
It seems to me that delaying until off season and then selling the company would make the previous owner responsible for the repair.
I don't know a lot about your law but it is an effective way to milk money out of people before selling a business. The tough thing would be proving there was a verbal agreement to delay repairs.

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:42 PM
So he initially bought the boat from the old owner right??? But took delivery of it from the new?
The new Calibur one....is currently suing the old.....let me tell you the old owners have lawsuits left a right....and they evade service!!!
that is my understanding....

unleashed
02-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Did you take photos of the problems when you first recieved the boat?? If you did Im sure you could take it to court and give them the story.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

sigepmock
02-10-2005, 04:44 PM
If the new owner owned the company on the day he picked up the boat and signed the final papers and Chris(SoCalHD) had recieved nothing in writing telling him the warranty would not be honored....I think the new owner is legally responsible. SoCalHD took possesion of the boat from the new owner, Warranty is new owners responsibilty. Sorry SoCalHD is getting yanked around.

barbigrl
02-10-2005, 04:46 PM
If he signed a contract for the warranty....that is a legally binding document...no matter who the owner!! They should honor the warranty....
however they changed their name.....slightly....so that might possibly be a slight loophole...but I am not sure...

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Did you take photos of the problems when you first recieved the boat?? If you did Im sure you could take it to court and give them the story.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:
Deano,
No, I didn't. I am currently feeling the sting of a life's lesson learned. :hammerhea :hammerhea

dicudmore
02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
If he signed a contract for the warranty....that is a legally binding document...no matter who the owner!! They should honor the warranty....
however they changed their name.....slightly....so that might possibly be a slight loophole...but I am not sure...
they did?? damn I missed it...

Racer277
02-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Deano,
No, I didn't. I am currently feeling the sting of a life's lesson learned. :hammerhea :hammerhea
FWIW, A bunch of us are learning right along with you.
s

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 05:01 PM
They should honor the warranty....
however they changed their name.....slightly....
Who are they now? Caliber 2?

plaster dave
02-10-2005, 05:02 PM
I would of took my $ 600.00 out of his AZZ right after the boat was hooked to the truck. I am sorry this happened to you.

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Help me out here...
Couldn't he have not paid the 600 bucks... showed his registration to the police to get his boat back (since he owns it and they have no claim)... and let Caliber 1 do whatever they like to try to steal the 600 bucks from him? If there is no signed contract, it's not like it's going to stand up in court.
:confused:

OutCole'd
02-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Help me out here...
Couldn't he have not paid the 600 bucks... showed his registration to the police to get his boat back... and let Caliber 1 do whatever they like to try to steal the 600 bucks from him? If there is no signed contract, it's not like it's going to stand up in court.
The tough part is I don't think the coppers could force the builder to turn over the boat. It would have had to go to small claims court to settle.. In the mean time, they have possesion of the boat, sitting out getting thrashed.

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Tom,
I probably could have, but I didn't call the police. After I told the new owner, " AL" that I wasn't paying for work I didn't authorise, he told the salesman to get the forklift and put my boat away. Al said my boat stays right here until the bill is payed. It was at that point that I just payed so I could leave. There was no way that I was going to let my boat sit there another second!!

Racer277
02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Help me out here...
Couldn't he have not paid the 600 bucks... showed his registration to the police to get his boat back (since he owns it and they have no claim)... and let Caliber 1 do whatever they like to try to steal the 600 bucks from him? If there is no signed contract, it's not like it's going to stand up in court.
Sure, but it's not like you can just grab the nearest cop and show them your paperwork. Remember down here they are busy with all of the improperly adjusted headlights. It would take weeks to get a cop to pay attention to this. And by then, what would his boat look like? And then try to prove that happened while in their possesion and they're responsible!
Better to pay and get the boat, then try to deal with it. I think he did the right thing all things considered, and these posts will do more damage to the new owners than they will ever figure out.

SoCalHD
02-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Its funny you say that Sean,
I told the guy right then and there, "You don't think that I'm not going to be telling everyone I know on the boating sites how you treat customers????" Since this is what I purchased for my first boat, how much do you think you might have made off the next, bigger boat I buy????

Tom Brown
02-10-2005, 05:19 PM
... how much do you think you might have made off the next, bigger boat I buy????
You should have a look at Commander. I hear they are great to deal with. :D

OutCole'd
02-10-2005, 05:20 PM
After I told the new owner, " AL"
As in Al ibaba?

Garrddogg
02-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I think thet fu@ked up too!
All these posts will do so much harm to a new buisness, I think they made a BIGTIME wrong choice here!! :jawdrop:

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:46 PM
I really think they should refund the $600. We know they are reading this because they were talking about it when I was at thier shop today. I just don't think I can drop 70k on a new boat from a mfg that cant even repair a couple flaws on a brand new boat. Don't they know that this is a small world and everyone knows everyone and we all talk??? Is $600 worth all the negative press? How many new customers would they get if SoCalHD got on the boards bragging about how they took care of him even though they are new owners??? They are not the only boat business in town. You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.
Just my .02

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:50 PM
As in Al ibaba?
This guy seemed like he had absolutely no Customer Service sense when I was there. I don't know his background but I doubt that its in boating.

SHOTKALLIN
02-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Is Cliff the old owner? What happened why did they sell?

hotlavey
02-10-2005, 06:03 PM
I have had business dealings with people from the middle east and they are a real pain in the posterior. They have absolutely no clue on how we do business in the US. They are loud, obscene, and nasty to deal with. I'm glad I no longer have to do business with them.
I think the new owner of Commander is from the middle east and has learned the correct way to conduct business here and is very pleasant to deal with. Good for him.

Holland
02-10-2005, 06:45 PM
As most of you are aware, I am sellilng my other boat. It is a Caliber 1 that I JUST got out of the shop, Remember I am the guy that had the new hull and boat re rigged, Here is my take! All the guys in the shop, gel coaters and rigger, Willie are great... Honest, straight forward and great workmanship. My boat when I got it back 2 weeks ago is perfect!!!! Even dealing with the salesman and "C" were NOT THE ISSUES that I had problems with. It IS THE NEW OWNER. He is not a boater, just a checkbook. He has no concept of how we "boaters" plan, schedule vacations and pour our hard earned money into this hobby. He treats all people like commodities that he can get $$$ from. when he took over (a year ago) he did a name change and legally found a way to NOT honor any outstanding warranties. (mine included) Now that he is the owner, "C" DOES have his hands tied. I personally had a several hour conversation or "venting" about this new owner. Yes, at first I was extremely upset at "C," but I took the time to investigate where the true issues are. I would suspect to see some changes there within a year!!!
Finally, a topic I know first hand!!!!
Bob

Holland
02-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Good luck!

Holland
02-10-2005, 06:49 PM
This guy seemed like he had absolutely no Customer Service sense when I was there. I don't know his background but I doubt that its in boating.
Dead nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarryMac
02-10-2005, 06:56 PM
Abso Freaking Lutely...

Dribble
02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Help me out here...
In a word no. Until a judge determines that no valid lien exists, there is presumed to be a lien dependent upon possesion under 3068 CA Civil Code.

BADASS38CHEVY
02-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Its funny you say that Sean,
I told the guy right then and there, "You don't think that I'm not going to be telling everyone I know on the boating sites how you treat customers????" Since this is what I purchased for my first boat, how much do you think you might have made off the next, bigger boat I buy????
Looks like caliber boats will be for sale again in a year or two when nobody buys from that fool.he should of told you that there will be a charge for repair instead of making you thing it was warranted.that shows you how he does business.i wouldnt buy a boat from them.LOOOOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!