PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a jacuzzi??

artdra
04-18-2001, 06:12 PM
I have a 1977 challenger hull 18 1/2 ft. 460BB, and a golden eagle (a.k.a.jacuzzi-y)
it does only 55mph at 5,500 rpm. i need more speed.the inspection plate is to the outside of the transom, i am running a stainless impeller. what are my opptions.
And no, i did not know at the time how bad jacuzzi is!
[This message has been edited by artdra (edited April 19, 2001).]

Slow Boat 001
04-18-2001, 06:40 PM
Go to www.hi-techperformance.com (http://www.hi-techperformance.com) they will help you out . Your pump is doing all it`s going to do . But a new Impeller might help out as it sounds like yours is or might be bad ..E-mail them they can tell you what you need to know ...

Eric
04-19-2001, 09:18 AM
American Turbine makes a "jacuzzi energizer" kit. It basically converts the axial flow eagle or yj to a mixed flow pump using amt (dominator?) parts. Check it out at: http://www.americanturbine.com
Click on "Parts & Diagrams"
Eric
[This message has been edited by Eric (edited April 19, 2001).]

artdra
04-19-2001, 09:36 AM
I have called american turbine but the say the energizer kit will not add much. have you seen differently?
thanks.
Originally posted by Eric:
American Turbine makes a "jacuzzi energizer" kit. It basically converts the axial flow eagle or yj to a mixed flow pump using amt (dominator?) parts. Check it out at: http://www.americanturbine.com
Click on "Parts & Diagrams"
Eric
[This message has been edited by Eric (edited April 19, 2001).]

ChetCapoli
04-19-2001, 07:03 PM
The reason it wont add much is because your pump is an insert type pump and add that to your axial flow problem and you have a real all around pump disappointment. I would take it all out and glass in a mixed flow pump like a berkeley or the others. It depends on how much work you want to do to make it go faster. IF you dont mind the work it's cheaper in the long run. Good luck.
chet

Jim
04-19-2001, 07:13 PM
Aggresser also makes a energiser kit the the jacuzzi, it comes with the Hiflow 9 vane bowl; I 'm currently doing one right now, parts should arrive tomorrow.Need more info give me a call or e-mail me Jim Brock jbcyclone@aol.com Cyclone speed & marine (818)890-1867 10-7pm

artdra
04-20-2001, 06:19 AM
So what your saing is, the bottom of the boat is kindof messing with the intake of the pump since it is a insert pump?
Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
The reason it wont add much is because your pump is an insert type pump and add that to your axial flow problem and you have a real all around pump disappointment. I would take it all out and glass in a mixed flow pump like a berkeley or the others. It depends on how much work you want to do to make it go faster. IF you dont mind the work it's cheaper in the long run. Good luck.
chet

Eric
04-20-2001, 09:09 AM
I can't say I've used the "energizer" kit myself but it seems like these kits would make a difference. If you look at the parts list you are basically keeping the suction piece from the yj and using a new (amt or aggressor) bowl, impeller, etc. Of course you could replace the pump completely but that would be a lot more dollars and work. Hopefully Jim will post some results for the aggressor kit.
Eric

ChetCapoli
04-22-2001, 08:33 AM
Hey artdra,
The problem with your pump is the lack of intake hardware and loading problems you have and always will have. Those energizer kits work great but your pump lacks in both areas, loading and water flow. If your going to spend 1200 bucks on one why not spend the extra 500 or so and buy a used berk somewhere and have it installed? All you will have with the energizer kit is just a done up insert pump anyways(which is not a perf pump) as opposed to a pump setup that will get you 75mph or so right? . That way you can have the best of both worlds. If your going to spend the money on that kit(anything is better than what you have) i would get the aggressor also. Call Ted at C.B.M. (877)Jet-Pump, he'll have the best price on that kit.

77charger
04-22-2001, 01:45 PM
I have installed the american turbine kit on my boat and am very happy with it.I do not have any loading problems have put a top loader grate on it.the boat will run 65-70.I put the kit on about 10 years ago bought it from adm boatworks.The previous pump was the golden eagle jacuzzi.Instantly worked better.Will offer you a ride.

440jetster
04-22-2001, 01:47 PM
First off, an energizer kit costs about 1,800.00 not including shipping or extras. Berkeley offers a new JG complete for 2,895.00 to your door. I found a guy in Modesto California that refurbishes used Berkeley pumps and blueprints them for the same cost as a energizer kit. Energizers are a quick fix, but you still end up with a hyped up Jacuzzi with a weak mechanical seal. I went with Berkeley all the way, they perfected the jet drive and are a quality built unit. You will have hours worth of work to do the conversion right but it's well worth the effort. I just got mine back together and WOW!!

ChetCapoli
04-22-2001, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 440jetster:
First off, an energizer kit costs about 1,800.00 not including shipping or extras. Berkeley offers a new JG complete for 2,895.00 to your door. I found a guy in Modesto California that refurbishes used Berkeley pumps and blueprints them for the same cost as a energizer kit. Energizers are a quick fix, but you still end up with a hyped up Jacuzzi with a weak mechanical seal. I went with Berkeley all the way, they perfected the jet drive and are a quality built unit. You will have hours worth of work to do the conversion right but it's well worth the effort. I just got mine back together and WOW!!
No offense 440jetster, you should shop around a little and see what you can get those kits for and also a rebuilt pump like you have (even the new pump for that matter). The prices you quote are a little steep.
As far as the energizer kit, Mr. 77, didnt mean to say it wont make a big improvement, just for the money spent, you should go the little extra money and make a huge one. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Chet

artdra
04-23-2001, 07:04 AM
thank you.
i am leaning toward the aggressor, that way i do not need to relocat my motor. i took a personal look at the aggressor kit @ the cyclone shop and it looks pretty good.
Originally posted by ChetCapoli:
Hey artdra,
The problem with your pump is the lack of intake hardware and loading problems you have and always will have. Those energizer kits work great but your pump lacks in both areas, loading and water flow. If your going to spend 1200 bucks on one why not spend the extra 500 or so and buy a used berk somewhere and have it installed? All you will have with the energizer kit is just a done up insert pump anyways(which is not a perf pump) as opposed to a pump setup that will get you 75mph or so right? . That way you can have the best of both worlds. If your going to spend the money on that kit(anything is better than what you have) i would get the aggressor also. Call Ted at C.B.M. (877)Jet-Pump, he'll have the best price on that kit.

skeepwerkzaz
04-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Hi there,
On ebay right now is a berk for 300. Buy it and call CP, they are selling the Brand New Berkw/place diverter and transome adaptor for 1900w/ trade in.
Maybe your deal,
SKEEP