PDA

View Full Version : ***boat muffler test

boatnam2
02-10-2005, 09:39 PM
after reading the new ***boat mag and the muffler test, which mufflers is everyone going to go with?i feel sorry for the over the transom guys they didnt have shit to make them come close to passing the new law.

mbrown2
02-10-2005, 09:41 PM
I did not read it all, but it seemed like the Livorsi's did pretty good...also, the Gibsons did good.
BTW....I won't be needing any of them this season. :cool:

OutCole'd
02-10-2005, 09:44 PM
I am not too hot on the looks, but for performance, I liked the Gibson Power curves. I would like to see some pics of these installed.
On my Magic, clearance is a big issue & most wont clear my swim step.
Addicted... you out there? Let's see some pics.

boatnam2
02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
your a lucky man mb,i think im going to throw some on just to be safe.

rivercrazy
02-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I have a set of the new Rex Marine tip replacement mufflers on my stock 496HO.
IMO they are the best looking units and built very well.
But I did loose about 150rpm and 2mph. But they reduced noise level substantially.
Overall I've very happy with the units but wish I had that rpm and mph back....

HCS
02-10-2005, 10:10 PM
But I did loose about 150rpm and 2mph. But they reduced noise level substantially.
I thought they had mufflers that didn't lose performance. I didn't think that was right. Of course what do they consider performance. :idea: Obviuosly not rpm & mph. :rolleyes:

beer hunter
02-10-2005, 10:34 PM
My experience with the Rex Silencers was pretty much the same as yours RC.

SCUBA STEVE
02-11-2005, 06:55 AM
So is this ish for real. Everyone with stock through transom exhaust is going to have to put some sort of muffler on? I am sorry I havent been keeping up with the noise laws. I thought it was only a CA, & Havasu marina thing. I don't live in CA (any more) and don't launch at the Havasu marina. :rollside:

AZKC
02-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Mufflers :D We don't need no stinking mufllers :D

THOR
02-11-2005, 07:31 AM
So is this ish for real. Everyone with stock through transom exhaust is going to have to put some sort of muffler on? I am sorry I havent been keeping up with the noise laws. I thought it was only a CA, & Havasu marina thing. I don't live in CA (any more) and don't launch at the Havasu marina. :rollside:
Steve,
I am not running any mufflers on my 496HO, but, my exhaust exits in the water so it is quiet at idle. But, you also have to worry about how loud you are while running. I plan on taking my chances the first few trips.

SCUBA STEVE
02-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Steve,
I am not running any mufflers on my 496HO, but, my exhaust exits in the water so it is quiet at idle. But, you also have to worry about how loud you are while running. I plan on taking my chances the first few trips.
My ish is louder them some stockers out there, (idle and running) at least I have been told by some of my pasangers. I am taking the boat in for service in April, I'll see if they have a reasonable solution ($$) if not I am chancing it.

PHX ATC
02-11-2005, 07:52 AM
In October when we visited the lovely Havasu Marina, they did a db test (however flawed it was) and we passed their stinking test with flying colors. I would be pretty confident that on the open water, I would do okay too.
My exhaust sits underwater while at idle and no wake speeds. Stock 496HO.
You should be fine Scuba.

THOR
02-11-2005, 08:01 AM
In October when we visited the lovely Havasu Marina, they did a db test (however flawed it was) and we passed their stinking test with flying colors. I would be pretty confident that on the open water, I would do okay too.
That is what I am talking about. I highly doubt that relatively stock boats like ours will get hassled before the big blower boats do.

SCUBA STEVE
02-11-2005, 08:19 AM
I have a carbed 502 in the Scuba Squirter... lol. But I am not absolutly sure where the water line is, I assume it should be right at or below the water line based on how low my free board is. Fock em lets see what happens I'll just give them a roost if they bother me. :D :hammer2:

Steamin' Rice
02-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I have the IMCO gatlin mufflers on the new boat.. I guess I'll find out how they work..

Holland
02-11-2005, 08:26 AM
I am having the Livorsi ones put on my 525... When I get my hands on my boat that is!

LAVEYSABRE575
02-11-2005, 08:30 AM
im leaving my exhaust the way it is 4 inch pipes straight thru no baffles and enjoying it, I heard thru a very reliable source (direct from havasu le) only one marina is testing thats havasu marina i dont launch there windsor and all the other ones dont even have the funds to buy a db meter. The guys patrolling the water have one specific goal this year crack down on dui . I was told the le on the water will use the muffler thing to pull you over if they suspect alcohol i dont drink and drive, for me its worth the risk i like the sound of loud boats especially at 6 am ...derek

mbrown2
02-11-2005, 08:31 AM
your a lucky man mb,i think im going to throw some on just to be safe.
I would and I would not spare a dime and get the best if I had your engine...would not want the ticket hassle and still want the best performance.

Havasu_Dreamin
02-11-2005, 08:58 AM
We've got the Rex Marine Silencers and they work great. We saw no loss in speed or RPM.

Quality Time
02-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I have not read the entire article (just got my mag yesterday), but felt the tests were lacking. They appeared to focus on the transom mounts. What about those of us who have clearance issues on the stern. There were no in-line tests that I could see upon first glance of the tables. Also, a few manufactures who I have heard have a good product were not represented. That may have been because they chose not to participate or just an oversight.

LUVNLIFE
02-11-2005, 10:58 AM
We have a 454mag with headers. At idle our exhaust exits below the water line so I am just going to see what happens. Unless someone has some experience already with this setup and wants to clue me in on their findings. Thanks

Not So Fast
02-11-2005, 12:44 PM
I just read the HB tests and since I have a 496HO I will take a wait and see attitude before I run down and put M.F.ing mufflers on my boat, it looked like it was real close to passing anyway. but the results are a little dismal even for a HP525, and that really sucks. Did anyone notice the blurb about how when another boat four lanes away from the test started up that the test went to crap or how when the other test boat passed in front at 150 ft the test went to crap again. now be honest, how in the f--k is the test not going to be compromised by outside noise, I can just see this at Windsor ramp, even on week days a tester telling everyone to not make any noise, yeah right. As if the law dosen't have it's hands full already. Get real NSF :2purples: :2purples:

all charged up
02-11-2005, 04:25 PM
What is the fine if you're in violation? I just bought my 25 daytona, 502 w/ pro charger. I have no idea if I'm even close to the law or not. Anybody have a similar settup with some idea of the db?
Mine also exhausts below the waterline and I have fiberglass swimsteps over them. Just how loud can BLUB BLUB BLUB be? :supp:

markc
02-11-2005, 05:07 PM
How about at the springs, does anyone know if they will try to play noise cop there?

LAVEYSABRE575
02-11-2005, 05:09 PM
no sound tests at the springs...derek

famaffair
02-11-2005, 07:14 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2285THERIDE.jpg I am not too hot on the looks, but for performance, I liked the Gibson Power curves. I would like to see some pics of these installed.
On my Magic, clearance is a big issue & most wont clear my swim step.
Addicted... you out there? Let's see some pics.

77charger
02-11-2005, 07:30 PM
i think i will be ok mine exits thru that shiny thing with blades on it :) it is well below the water line so i think the noise nazis will leave me alone
The boat below in sig well that is a different story but it doesnt go to havasu and sounds rather crackily.I like the sound of a big hp,nice camed big block so that is fine with me.I just dont think my 350 mag on my elim will sound all that good with thru transom i almost went with it too glad i didnt now.(y pipe was replaced and it was just a tad more to go tt)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/15elim_rear_view.jpg

4-B
02-11-2005, 10:07 PM
I went with Rex a few months back on my 496HO. I like the look and the install was easy, bolted right up where my old tips were. I do enjoy less noise at idle and if I lost a few mph... I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. :boxed:

purrfecttremor
02-21-2005, 08:06 AM
im going to look at eddie marine today.i dont know if the slip ons will work as i also have a clearance problems :mad: .im stopping at shockwave to get some measurements as my boat is asleep at the zoo.eddie appeared to do well in the ***boat issue,there price reasonable and i like the idea of bolt ons so if the boat nazis dont come out i can take those sombitches off!!!