PDA

View Full Version : Good quality kids life jackets??

WetWillie
02-10-2005, 11:00 PM
I saw some nice Oneil brand Kids life jackets at the boat show. I figured I would go back to buy them but never made it back. Anyone know where I can find these?? Or good quality kids life jackets??
Thanks?

Kilrtoy
02-10-2005, 11:01 PM
We got some oneil vest zip and lock tie very nice from price club, But I dont think they are speed vest....

MAINEVENT
02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Costco would be your best bet if not Overtons.com i know has that stuff most of the time on sale

Boatcop
02-11-2005, 04:04 AM
Any Coast Guard Approved life jacket will be good quality. They undergo severe testing before they can get that approval.
Best to look for fit and comfort. If they're confortable, they won't mnd wearing them too much. And if they don't fit, they don't work.
And oh yeah......
They also won't work if they're stuffed under the seats. (The life jackets, not the kids, :D )

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2005, 04:56 AM
How old are your kids, WW?

WetWillie
02-13-2005, 09:51 AM
My kids are 4 and 5. Your right Boatcop I want them to be comfortable so that they will wear them. They will always have them on while the boat is moving!
I know this sounds horrible but I also want the vests to flip them over (Head up) if the they were ever thrown from the boat.... Do all kids vest do this?
Any other brands i should look at other then Lifeline or Oneil??
Thanks guys..

WYRD
02-13-2005, 10:46 AM
I bought mine at costco very nice and resonable too. neoprene zips good quality and comfortable for the kids to wear! :idea:

jbtrailerjim
02-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I picked my kids up some nice Jet Pilot vest at Sport Chalet. They had a fairly good selection of vest.

Flying Tiger
02-13-2005, 12:33 PM
I'll only let the kids wear jackets that make them more visible in the water when they fall or swim:
The yellow on Marens shoulders really stands out when she falls and is in the water. I really notice it when I circle back to retrieve the kids outta the water.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_041-med.jpg
Just my 2cents worth.

a catered life
02-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Costco would be your best bet if not Overtons.com i know has that stuff most of the time on sale
picked up ours from costo great price

HOOTER SLED-
02-13-2005, 01:52 PM
O.P. ones at Sam's Club too. Neoprene. Very comfortable. $40 for adults. I think $30 for kids. Those will drop down about $10 by mid Summer too. Still good at full price too. Most adult sized neoprene vests start around $100 at other places. Get your vests before they are gone at these places though. They rotate their merchandise in and out early at Costco and Sam's, and these are seasonal items.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-13-2005, 03:07 PM
The Anaheim show is coming up......April 7-10....
I also need a couple new ones....
I saw the O'Neil & similar ones at the show......
They are quite a bit better than the Cosco & Price Club models...
About $75 or so....
I may have a card from the guys at the show....I'll check....
CJG

RiverToysJas
02-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Costco has nice neo ones but they are typically 50-90lb models. I have never found 30-50lb jackets there. Sam's Club was the same recently, but I don't go there myself, that's just what I've been told.
We get an O'Neil at the boat show last year, and it's very comfortable. We'll be getting another this year, and I'm still holding out for a deal at Costco. I hope this year's supply includes some smaller ones.
RTJas :D

Mohavekid
02-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Sam's club had some Ocean Pacific neoprene vests in the 30-50 lb size last year.
Good quality and my daughter loves the comfort of it instead of her old nylon vest. Makes it so much easier to get it on them and keep it on them if they like the comfort.

HOOTER SLED-
02-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Sam's club had some Ocean Pacific neoprene vests in the 30-50 lb size last year.
Good quality and my daughter loves the comfort of it instead of her old nylon vest. Makes it so much easier to get it on them and keep it on them if they like the comfort.
Exactly. We got one of those for our 5 yr. old when he was 4. He may be too big for it now. Gotta check. The neoprene ones are so comfortable cuz they are more form fitting. They are not at all bulky or box-like.

Boatcop
02-13-2005, 06:02 PM
I know this sounds horrible but I also want the vests to flip them over (Head up) if the they were ever thrown from the boat.... Do all kids vest do this?
Read the label and the flyer that comes with every PFD. (Personal Floatation Device).
They are divided into "Types".
Type I: Off Shore Life Jacket. Will turn and unconscious wearer face up in the water.
Type II: Near shore Bouyancy Vest. Will HOLD an unconcious wearer face up, but may not turn them.
Type III: Floatation Aid. May need some input by the wearer to hold them face up.
Type IV: Throwable device, not for wear, designed to be thrown to someone in the water.
Type V: Special Purpose Device. Not considered approved unless it is being worn for the activity designed. This PFD will show on the label which level of performance (I, II, or III) it has.
Don't select strictly on looks. Get one that's designed for the activity its going to be used in.

WetWillie
02-14-2005, 08:49 PM
The guy trying to sell me the ONEIL jacket said it would flip them. Not sure if he was right or not. I will look for the model BC mentioned.. Level I
How many people put there kids in a Level I jacket?? How important is it?
I would think it is VERY important?? If anyone is thrown or falls out of a boat there is a chance they could be knocked unconcience right?
BC can you give us an idea of how many people you see a year that may have survives accidents you have seen if they were wearing a PFD that would have flipped them upward??
Just wondering if I am being paranoid
Thanks for the help and input!

got river?
02-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Most vests that you buy that are waterski or wakeboard Coast Guard Approved vests are Type III. The kids vests, whether the 0-30, 30-50, or 50-90 will not flip a child over. The infant (0-30) vests usually have a pillow that will help keep a child's head above water, but will not guarantee that they will not be flipped over by rollers. Also, most children's vests will have more padding on the front and be thinner on the rear panels to help assist in keeping the child face up. The most valuable thing about the vests for children is that they keep the child afloat and so they can be found easily. The key of course is getting to them quickly. My kids always have their vests on around the water...my worst fear is that my 4 year old or 1 year old end up in the water without a vest on.
We were selling Jet Pilot childrens vests for $37 at the LA Boat show. Be happy to honor that for anyone interested. Shipping costs would be minimal. Colors are all grey with either yellow, red, or blue trim colors. We sold everything the factory had...but more will be available.
951-304-3434
Josh

Boatcop
02-15-2005, 08:25 AM
BC can you give us an idea of how many people you see a year that may have survives accidents you have seen if they were wearing a PFD that would have flipped them upward??
Several come immediately to mind, but I won't go into details since friends and family post on these boards.
The Coast Guard estimates that 80% of boating related deaths would be prevented if the deceased had been wearing a PFD.
You know how CHP has said that they've "Never unbuckled (seat Belt) a dead person, following an accident"? That's kind of debatable, since people do die in horrific crashes even if they are wearing a seatbelt. (very few, mind you. You're chances of surviving a crash are much higher if you're properly strapped in.)
Well. In nearly 30 years of being in this business I have never recovered a drowning victim who was wearing a PFD. I have, however, recovered dozens of bodies who would still be walking the earth, if they had taken the time to wear a PFD.
I have recovered bodies that were wearing PFDs, but their deaths were due to trauma or exposure, and not due just to drowning.
The "style" or looks of the PFD have nothing to do with what "Type" they are. The type is determined by the performance of the vest, as I described above.

OC-PARTYCAT
02-15-2005, 08:48 AM
good thread. I have a 4 year old that wears the oneill.
We tried several different types but almost all of them would rub her underarms and the side of her face which made them uncomfortable. I still do not ever trust a PFD when my girl is in the water. I watch her like a hawk and only take my eyes off her for maybe 30 seconds at a time when shes playing in the water.
The person that mentioned having a bright color is also a good idea. The Oneill we have is black and probably not the best color to have for retrieval/spotting in the water (heaven forbid) and I dont think it will turn them over in the water either. The key is to get to them fast.
Hopefully someone will come out with a PFD that is a bright color, comfortable to wear, and turns a child over and head afloat if needed. I know the infant or small todler ones do this but, what about the young children? I havent seen one yet and Ive hit every store west of the river.

got river?
02-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Boatcop,
I know my reference to style may have been confusing. I only meant to differentiate between a high end race vest and what most people might wear while waterskiing, wakeboarding, or tubing.
Thanks for your posts by the way...
Josh
PS: Decided to take out the "style" reference.