PDA

View Full Version : Bowl pressure

Taylorman
02-11-2005, 10:14 AM
I was wondering what the typical bowl pressure is? I assume you want the pressure to be as high as possible? What can you do to increase pressure? Does higher pressure = faster? Is there a max pressure the bowl can handle?

Taylorman
02-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Anyone?

LVjetboy
02-16-2005, 01:45 AM
"I was wondering what the typical bowl pressure is?"
AT did some static pit testing and measured bowl pressures at 130+ psi for 450 hp to the impeller. Racer data I have shows 200+ psi for quit a bit more power. So I quess it depends on what you'd consider "typical"
"I assume you want the pressure to be as high as possible?"
For a given impeller and bowl, neglecting intake drag, yes.
"What can you do to increase pressure?"
Apply more power to the impeller or improve the impellers ability to convert input power to total pressure or improve intake efficiency or increase drag with more shoe or loader.
"Does higher pressure = faster?"
Faster = more thrust. Thrust = more change in water momentum. More change in water momentum = more total pressure. More total pressure = STATIC + DYNAMIC pressure.
Bowl pressure is only a measure of static pressure not dynamic. So if you try to gage performance or thrust gains by a change in static bowl pressure alone, you're missing the other half of the equation...dynamic pressure.
That may be part of why Mike saw better performance from A to A+ without a significant increase in bowl (static) pressure.
"Is there a max pressure the bowl can handle?"
I'm sure there is. The weak point may be the bowl-to-intake seal, but I don't think you need to worry about it for most engines. My bowl's still single bolt...seems fine so far.
jer

OkieDave
02-16-2005, 06:02 AM
"Is there a max pressure the bowl can handle?"
I'm sure there is. The weak point may be the bowl-to-intake seal, but I don't think you need to worry about it for most engines. My bowl's still single bolt...seems fine so far.
jer[/QUOTE]
If the pump is a few years old and has been taken apart and re-assembeled a lot, the threads can become corroded and worn. I blew the bowl off one time at over 100 mph. nothing quite like a large piece of aluminum hanging off the end of a 14 foot cable flying around behind you and nearly hitting you in the head as it goes around you and you have no steering or anything as you are rapidly slowing down and thinking you are gonna sink when you finally stop. it ripped the controls out and dragged them back to the transom. cables didn't break. scary.

promod
02-16-2005, 06:37 AM
mine ranges from 35 to 37 on intake with a 5/8 shoe with alittle shim, open loader and 200-230 on bowl with a 3.125 sleeve on diverter,put an 3.060 sleeve in the boat and it handled not so good so i stay with 3 1/8 sleeve

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Great info here! We have not checked our pressure and would like to. What is a good location to pick up the reading for both the suction and bowl? In other words, does anyone have a exact measurement or exact location on a Berkeley pump? :idea: Thanks for all the help, Doug