PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boat in Poker Runs - Fundamental Question...

diggler
02-11-2005, 12:16 PM
I've done quite a few poker runs with my older jet-boat. However, now I have a new one and the problem is that to keep up with the big boys, I have to trim the diverter quite a ways up. This means my rooster tail is significantly bigger than before.
I used to just hang out in the back because my older boat was slow. However, now I can maintain a 60-70mph constant speed without pushing the engine hard. This translates to a 100yard rooster.
I run the poker runs exclusively on the Delta in Norther Cali so the rivers/sloughs can be narrow at times and people will be forced to be in line behind one another.
I guess I could stay at the back of the pack, but that is the worst water, and I can probably keep up with the top 25% of the boats that go on these events. What do you think about the rooster-tail problem? I certainly don't want to hit anyone with it.

riverbound
02-11-2005, 12:19 PM
It sounds like the slower boats will be getting wet.

moneypit
02-11-2005, 12:22 PM
People will stay away. Just down dont turn it on while they are behind you..
I wish 60-70 would keep up with the people in Havasu Poker runs. Spring heat wave run. was well over 100 mph for a large handful of the boats...

diggler
02-11-2005, 12:27 PM
I thought I'd post a picture of my rooster at only 60mph. (I'm expecting to top out over 100mph max speed with my new DNE moter!) :)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/142IMAG0028.JPG

Hal
02-11-2005, 12:33 PM
I would think your boat should run a little faster with the diverter set close to somewhere in the middle than up. How many jet boats do you see at the drags with a 100 yard rooster tail. The rooster tail is just for show not speed.
You should do fine with your friends in a poker run without getting them wet. :D

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2005, 12:35 PM
That is minimal compared to twin surface drives...
...so trim it high and let it fly.
:D

1978 Rogers
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
People will stay away. Just down dont turn it on while they are behind you..
Just expect a few idiots to run threw it thinking its only mist. You always have a couple people that have no boating experience. They will always complain. :hammerhea