PDA

View Full Version : OMFG the building inspector showed up...

YeLLowBoaT
04-21-2006, 03:30 PM
At 4:15 on a friday... was there for 10 mins and was on his way.... thanks for being 3 days late, you.... :mad: The pumper truck can't get here til tuesday.... 6 days down the drain... :cry:
Atleast the job is ony 6 houses down.

BOBALOO
04-21-2006, 03:45 PM
At 4:15 on a friday... was there for 10 mins and was on his way.... thanks for being 3 days late, you.... :mad: The pumper truck can't get here til tuesday.... 6 days down the drain... :cry:
Atleast the job is ony 6 houses down.
I have been trying to get a set of plans for an LA CO. bldg for almost 2 weeks. The one guy that knows how to print from an autocad file is always out of the office.
Job time 2.5 days
time so far.....8 days and counting. :mad:
I need a job working for the city....I FEEL YOUR PAIN! :220v:

Mandelon
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Shit, you guys can't get him to show up, and I can't get rid of him. I got popped on a bootleg job and now have to go pull permits for some basic stucco and drywall work. :cry: Inspector showed up next door for some other guy I didn't know about and he walked over to our project and got too nosy...
Oh well, a trip down town and a few hundred $$ later...... :rolleyes:

TrojanDan
04-21-2006, 03:52 PM
I have been trying to get a set of plans for an LA CO. bldg for almost 2 weeks. The one guy that knows how to print from an autocad file is always out of the office.
Job time 2.5 days
Hey now! Don't be a hater. You mean a job at the County, not the City. Telecommuting 303 miles from home on a Friday is tough sometimes. :D Glad to hear you're almost there with your permits. :cool:

Chico&Zeus
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
I've scheduled several times for duct banks on my project, I do it through the automated scheduler over the phone....if I get a conformation number and he doesn't show up between 7 AM and 2 PM, I snap as many pictures as possible and POUR IT!!! If they want me to tear it out later (CHANGE ORDER!!!) :rollside: :argue:

BOBALOO
04-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Hey now! Don't be a hater. You mean a job at the County, not the City. Telecommuting 303 miles from home on a Friday is tough sometimes. :D Glad to hear you're almost there with your permits. :cool:
Sorry charlie, this is a job for work, not that other county project your "friend" helped us out with. Thanks again.
I've got a city architect that cant print plans, and the other 9 people in the construction office have no clue,or dont care either:hammer2:

YeLLowBoaT
04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I've scheduled several times for duct banks on my project, I do it through the automated scheduler over the phone....if I get a conformation number and he doesn't show up between 7 AM and 2 PM, I snap as many pictures as possible and POUR IT!!! If they want me to tear it out later (CHANGE ORDER!!!) :rollside: :argue:
Now way in fooking hell am I going to bust out 22 footings each with bar and ~ a yard of mix in them. Its not going to happen.

gochappy
04-21-2006, 04:46 PM
ahhh we have no building permits or inspections except for elec and plumbing....site location permits only.....

OCMerrill
04-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I feel your pain. Last automated inspection I phoned in the guy no-showed on me as well. Funny thing is you have to be cool about it or they F ya.
I just pulled a permit yesterday and I asked the clerk about the "inspection abatment fee" What? You know can't I just pay someone now and skip the drama? Blank stare.....
Its only about the crap permit money and property assesment anyway.

SummitKarl
04-21-2006, 06:47 PM
I guess this wouldn't be a good thread to mention.....I got a first time pass on a set of duplex plans today :)
play by the rules, do what they ask, don't try and cheat, and they make your life EASY!!!!!! :)

Jrocket
04-21-2006, 07:20 PM
Bobaloo,
Are you still doing communication tower stuff?

doesitfloat?
04-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Yet another reason I don't miss Cali and love Idaho. I can call in for afternoon inspections as late as mid morning of the same day! Furthermore, after the inspectors see your work a few times, they often times just tell me to "cover it up" without even coming out. Last week, I had a p.m. framing inspection scheduled and I got there late (12:45) and missed him by 10 minutes...what's that on the window?...a "pass" inspection sticker. He just looked through the window and passed me.
Of course, this all leaves a lot of room for hacks to really put some sh!tty work out there but it just makes me look better.

YeLLowBoaT
04-21-2006, 09:35 PM
I guess this wouldn't be a good thread to mention.....I got a first time pass on a set of duplex plans today :)
play by the rules, do what they ask, don't try and cheat, and they make your life EASY!!!!!! :)
getting the plans approved is the ez part...Most of the inspectors I have delt with are actually very nice. There are the few that ether don't know the code or have "overkill on the brain" (of which they have zero exp when it comes to engneering)
I won't go in to detail other then to say a 2x4 would hold the load, a 2x6 would give you a good safty factor... so what did he want me to use... 2x8 sistered toegther.( the code required 2x4s)

dexman38
04-21-2006, 09:37 PM
building inspectors are nice people. just mis understood :rollside:

SummitKarl
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
getting the plans approved is the ez part...Most of the inspectors I have delt with are actually very nice. There are the few that ether don't know the code or have "overkill on the brain" (of which they have zero exp when it comes to engneering)
I won't go in to detail other then to say a 2x4 would hold the load, a 2x6 would give you a good safty factor... so what did he want me to use... 2x8 sistered toegther.( the code required 2x4s)
actually the hard part is getting everyone to READ!!!! and FOLLOW!!! the approved plans :rolleyes: :)
what works for me out here..is a copy of IRC-2003 IN HAND!!!!!. my plans clearly state.....bldg will conform to IRC-2003......when they come up with something goofy.......open the book and show them the code...and say "this is what I have to conform to for your city Insurance policy"
works just about every time out here... but I find it usally cost less to just do what they wanted in the first place :rolleyes:

Jim W
04-22-2006, 06:30 AM
In my little town, the building inspector has a sign behind his desk.
"arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a greased pig. After a while, you realise----the pig likes it!!!"
I deal straight up with the guy. We get along great!!
Be good, Jim

NashvilleBound
04-22-2006, 06:42 AM
building inspectors are nice people. just mis understood :rollside:
As far as I know building inspectors are all the guys that failed the contractor testing......

Schiada76
04-22-2006, 08:34 AM
The inspectors are the ONLY thing good about LA Bldg & Safety. They give me a two hour window, show on time and the ones I know call me on my cell to confirm time frame even closer.

GHT
04-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Job time 2.5 days
BOBALOO, can't you have them send the electronic file to a reprographics shop? They will open the file, print and bond it for you. Sounds like the $$$ it will cost will be made up in time.. My .02..... :)

YeLLowBoaT
04-22-2006, 12:03 PM
As far as I know building inspectors are all the guys that failed the contractor testing......
Now thats Funny.

hondajoey
04-22-2006, 12:52 PM
well my town really is slow, i turned in a set of plans for a 30x60 garage for my house to our town & 6Wks latter they call me to tell me i have red lines, they need load calc's and some other B.S, i resubmitt and another 5wks and i get my permit, now it is already hot i dont want to start the dam thing, it is going to get into our lake time

hondajoey
04-22-2006, 12:58 PM
thats the truth who else would take a job making a third of what a project manager or construction superintendant makes, looking and critisizing others work,

Mandelon
04-22-2006, 01:57 PM
thats the truth who else would take a job making a third of what a project manager or construction superintendant makes, looking and critisizing others work,
For the benefits and retirement plan.......plus its a lot easier and more fun to pick apart someone elses work than to do it yourself... :cry:

YeLLowBoaT
04-22-2006, 03:11 PM
the inspectors here make like 70k + full benfits. Its not "great" money, but that is good pay for a very ez job. Since its county you have to do something Very, very bad to lose your job.

BOBALOO
04-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Bobaloo,
Are you still doing communication tower stuff?
Yup.. Mostly equipment changeouts for me right now.

BOBALOO
04-22-2006, 05:06 PM
BOBALOO, can't you have them send the electronic file to a reprographics shop? They will open the file, print and bond it for you. Sounds like the $$$ it will cost will be made up in time.. My .02..... :)
Nobody knows how to send the file to my office but 1 guy and they wont give me a copy of the disk. THE REPRODUCTION OFFICE IS IN THE SAME BLDG, one floor up. I offered to take it up there but no-go. They told me I will have them Monday, and last Friday, and last Thursday, and last Wednesday. you get the picture. :argue:
I dont even want to mention the hoops I am going thru b/c the budget got blown and the area I need to install in didn't have the asbestos abated.
I do know one guy here on the boards that is a great inspector though, we are still friends right??????? :rollside:
RANT OVER.....back to work

Sherpa
04-23-2006, 09:46 AM
the last time I called for an electrical-final/signoff was for a friday afternoon
site visit........
I learned 2 things that day....
1) inspectors have alot of site visits on fridays..........
2) they want to go home as soon as possible, so my site visit was like 3
minutes, followed by a "Can I get to the street thru this gate-?" question.
--I now ONLY request site visits for friday afternoons....... best damn thing
invented!
--Sherpa

GHT
04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Nobody knows how to send the file to my office but 1 guy and they wont give me a copy of the disk. THE REPRODUCTION OFFICE IS IN THE SAME BLDG, one floor up. I offered to take it up there but no-go. They told me I will have them Monday, and last Friday, and last Thursday, and last Wednesday. you get the picture. :argue:
I dont even want to mention the hoops I am going thru b/c the budget got blown and the area I need to install in didn't have the asbestos abated.
I do know one guy here on the boards that is a great inspector though, we are still friends right??????? :rollside:
RANT OVER.....back to work
Point taken.. I understand, I deal with SH!T like this on a daily bases... Just trying to help. :)

ROZ
04-23-2006, 02:21 PM
the last time I called for an electrical-final/signoff was for a friday afternoon
site visit........
I learned 2 things that day....
1) inspectors have alot of site visits on fridays..........
2) they want to go home as soon as possible, so my site visit was like 3
minutes, followed by a "Can I get to the street thru this gate-?" question.
--I now ONLY request site visits for friday afternoons....... best damn thing
invented!
--Sherpa
I will remember this! :cool:

YeLLowBoaT
04-23-2006, 02:26 PM
you can get inspectors to come to a job site on a friday???? damn here even the office closes at noon...but, really you can't even get some on the phone on fridays.

ROZ
04-23-2006, 02:31 PM
you can get inspectors to come to a job site on a friday???? damn here even the office closes at noon...but, really you can't even get some on the phone on fridays.Some cities around here are closed every other Friday...

dexman38
04-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Most D.S.A. inspector are pretty sharp when it comes to the code. The city inspectors are overloaded with work. A city inspector is only allowed 20 min per site. I have delt with city inspectors and if it looks half way right it will be signed off . That only hurts the end user.