PDA

View Full Version : Boat Cover Help

Red Eye
02-11-2005, 02:10 PM
For those of you that keep their boat stored outside, what do you use to keep the cover lifted up in the bow so the water doesn't build up and rip the cover when it rains? I've tried different ways of trying to "McGuyver" it, but I ended up outside again today at 5AM in my boxers, no socks and t-shirt trying to fix it. Oh yeah it was freaking cold too.

WYRD
02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
For those of you that keep their boat stored outside, what do you use to keep the cover lifted up in the bow so the water doesn't build up and rip the cover when it rains? I've tried different ways of trying to "McGuyver" it, but I ended up outside again today at 5AM in my boxers, no socks and t-shirt trying to fix it. Oh yeah it was freaking cold too.
Build a 2X4 brace to put in the middle

phuggit
02-11-2005, 02:14 PM
This may sound corny, but someone once recommended an inflatable beach ball.

simple
02-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Materials required:
1/ 1" PVC - 20' or (2) lengths
2/ (6) 45 degree angle joints
3/ Depending on the length of your boat (2 blue hard plastic tarpaulins)
4/ 4 or 5 bungy cords
Make (2) towers (front & rear) over your existing boatcover from the PVC & joints. This could either touch the floor or fit underneath your existing cover. The tarpauline fits over the PVC frame and the bungy cords hold it to the trailer or connect underneath to each other.
This way the canvas cover keeps the boat protected & the blue cover acts as a roof over the whole boat and the water just runs off of it.

Coleitis22
02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
I've used rolled foam pillows and then cover your cover with tarps. Costco sells 2 packs for about 14 bucks

al cole'holic
02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
..for lower freeboard boats regular old milk crates work pretty well when stacked up and are sturdy too :D

SCUBA STEVE
02-11-2005, 02:25 PM
I used a kitchen trash can (upside down) But you are going to need something in the middle of the boat taller then the trash can causing a tp effect for the rest of the boat. The pvc pipe gizmo, Simple suggest works good as well.
I also just purchased one of those car canopy's from costco, that thing works like a dream! It's like a mini garage.

mirvin
02-11-2005, 02:28 PM
YEah, Like Scuba said, the mini garage is great. I got mine from kingcanopy.com
mirvin ;)

Essex29
02-11-2005, 02:33 PM
nothing beats a couple of tarps and a bunch of bungees!!

Slick
02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I used to use PVC and make a tent frame, then put the sunbrella cover on and then a big blue tarp. I also used the yellow tarp fasteners from home depot. They're pretty cheap for four in a package and work great. You can cinch the tarp down real tight so the water just rolls off.

cdog
02-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I made a rectangle frame out of PVC with two T's that extend with caps at the top to hold the canvas cover up like a tent. Then Covered the cockpit area with a big silver tarp from home depot and held it down with adjustable bungees. So far it's been through the Santa Ana winds and record rain fall and no problems or wet interior. Good luck.

BarryMac
02-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I also just purchased one of those car canopy's from costco, that thing works like a dream! It's like a mini garage.
I did the same thing, then put the storage cover and a Blue Tapr over it, not a drop of water on the inside...

Red Eye
02-11-2005, 03:08 PM
I used a kitchen trash can (upside down) But you are going to need something in the middle of the boat taller then the trash can causing a tp effect for the rest of the boat. The pvc pipe gizmo, Simple suggest works good as well.
The wifey wants me to get that deal at Costco, but I live next to the hills and the wind comes howling to the side where I keep my boat. I'm guessing it would turn from a boat canopy to a hang glider.
I'm sure the cover will be an easy fix, I've just been a lazy ass lately. Thanks for the ideas everyone.

HOOTER SLED-
02-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Build something using PVC from Home Depot. Have like 3 supports down the middle of the boat. Run one pipe down the center so you have no sags. You can get all sorts of elbows to make the connections. Pretty inexpensive too. They also sell these cool little extending thingamajigs at like Boater's World or probably Overton's. They have rubber pieces on the end of them and are spring loaded. Just twist and turn to the right length. The bottoms sort of look like a crutch. Better yet, If you got a pair of old crutches lying around, use those. that's a quick fix for ya. Brake a leg. :D No pun intended.

riverbound
02-11-2005, 03:34 PM
I used to put a trash can inside in betweetm the front seats. and that worked well.

BarryMac
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
The wifey wants me to get that deal at Costco, but I live next to the hills and the wind comes howling to the side where I keep my boat. I'm guessing it would turn from a boat canopy to a hang glider.
I'm sure the cover will be an easy fix, I've just been a lazy ass lately. Thanks for the ideas everyone.
I got some two gallon buckets and some long 6" maybe Eye-Bolts, mixed up some concrete and filled the buckets with the Eye-Bolts in the center sticking up about 1 1/2"s, found some hefty hooks at HD screwed 'em to the canopy and used some rope from the hooks to the buckets, haven't had a problem yet with the wind...

JB in so cal
02-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Try this
http://www.overtons.com/cgi-bin/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=35066

1978 Rogers
02-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Stick a saw horse under there.

Havasu Hangin'
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Materials required:
1/ 1" PVC - 20' or (2) lengths
2/ (6) 45 degree angle joints
3/ Depending on the length of your boat (2 blue hard plastic tarpaulins)
4/ 4 or 5 bungy cords
Make (2) towers (front & rear) over your existing boatcover from the PVC & joints. This could either touch the floor or fit underneath your existing cover. The tarpauline fits over the PVC frame and the bungy cords hold it to the trailer or connect underneath to each other.
This way the canvas cover keeps the boat protected & the blue cover acts as a roof over the whole boat and the water just runs off of it.
That sounds simple enough...

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
02-11-2005, 05:07 PM
i have 2 telescoping poles that are adjustabl in height. i think you can get them at any sporting goods store. you can adjust the height , twist the pieces so they lock together, st in place and crawl out from under your cover. they work great.

Big Bear
02-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I put my rear seat lengthwise front to back from the tops of the front seats to the top of the rear bench and put my boat cover on and pull tight with bunjee's. Creates a high spot in the middle. I bought a 24x40 ft. tarp which I wrap the boat in and bunjee under to make a big burrito. This has worked great for me so far.

LUVNLIFE
02-12-2005, 02:58 PM
That's what we use and it has worked flawless for almost five years. :)

LUVNLIFE
02-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I got some two gallon buckets and some long 6" maybe Eye-Bolts, mixed up some concrete and filled the buckets with the Eye-Bolts in the center sticking up about 1 1/2"s, found some hefty hooks at HD screwed 'em to the canopy and used some rope from the hooks to the buckets, haven't had a problem yet with the wind...
I did the same thing with the 5lb coffee cans. I have never had a prob and we can get some nasty wind here ;)

plaster dave
02-12-2005, 03:07 PM
a hulla hoop or a broom stick with foam or something on the end so it doesnt rip the cover. good luck. I just found inside storage in chatsworth for $210.00 a month its kinda high but I just haven't taken it to the river yet to store.