PDA

View Full Version : Electric Pump?

AJS772
05-31-2001, 10:09 PM
Hi guys, first time posting here. Question is
does anyone here run an electric fuel pump. I am having a fuel problems and figure maybe this could be a good move. I'm running a 454 .30 over in an 18' Nordic. Any suggestions on psi or anything @ all?
Thanks in advance,

ponponracing
06-01-2001, 04:37 AM
You are not very specific about what's wrong with your fuel pump. Why don't yoy give details

AJS772
06-01-2001, 06:15 AM
Sorry about not giving enough info. I currently have a mechanical pump and it will just stop pupming gas some times when I am idling back in. I have to blow in which ever tank is on to get gas back to the filter. I was thinking of changing it to an electric. I replaced all of my gas line but it didn't make a difference, Also when I attempt to get on plane the motor has hesitation and the fuel filter is only about half full. I picked up a carter pump rated around 90gpf
and 6.5 psi. Just have not installed it yet, don't know if I should.
Thanks for your help.

Jetmugg
06-01-2001, 06:20 AM
I've got a Carter electric pump on my 454, not sure of the flow ratings, but it will hold at 6-7 psi, even with the engine at 5200 rpm. I'm happy with it, and it's much more quiet than the Holley pumps.
SteveM

AJS772
06-01-2001, 06:52 AM
Thanks for your input Jetmugg, I'll put it on and see how it works. Do you have any rubber hose after the pump (or before) or just steel line. I currently have rubber to the mech. pump then steel from there to the filter and rubber connecting the filter. Seems like a low enough psi for rubber but Maybe not?
Thanks
Adam S

jaqquuuz
06-01-2001, 08:22 AM
AJS772 I run electric and I use rubber to the pump then steel from pump to carbs with all the bounceing go around back there I would hate to see a rubber line land on somthing hot also with rubber you should replace them every other season just to be on the safe side. Happy boating.

Jetmugg
06-01-2001, 09:05 AM
Same here, I have rubber lines from the tanks, into a "T", and into the pump, and then I have braides SS line and fittings from the pump to the carb. All braided is probably better, but at least I figure that I have braided lines on the pressurized side of the pump.
Steve

mister460
06-01-2001, 10:57 AM
Just remember to mount the pump as low as possible so that it doesn't have to constantly suck gas upwards. That's hard on pumps.

Brewer
06-01-2001, 01:22 PM
one other thing to check would be the pick-ups inside the tank. I have personally wasted time replacing everything else, when all along it was a cracked pick-up tube

Rod
06-01-2001, 07:15 PM
How about the vent to the gas tank ? And can you see in the gas fiter at idle and take the gas cap off and see if she pumps more. Rod NC

AJS772
06-02-2001, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all you input guys. I will put the pump on today, and give it a shot. I don't think it is a pick up in the tank because both tanks do the same thing. I'll let you know.
Thanks !!
Adam S

ponponracing
06-02-2001, 10:51 AM
772, what is nice with mech. fuel pump is that they are safe and troublefree. First thing, you should look at any possible leak between the fuel tank and the pump itself. You mentioned there was no trouble with the pick up in the tank, so why don't you have a look at the fittings and collars, and the fuel lines themselves. To me, two possibilities: the pump is sucking air, or the diaphragm in the pump itself is cracked. In this case, replace the pump with a new one.
Your fuel filter should be between the pump and the carb. Unless you have a worn out pump, I don't think swiching for an electrical pump will solve the problem.

Jeff
06-03-2001, 06:54 AM
AJS772:
I agree with ponponracing you might have a bad diaphram. Or you might have some junk in you fuel pump, thats clogging it. It is very possible to pick up some chip scale from steel tanks from where you buy your gas. I run a filter prier to my electric 140 Mallory then have another filter prier to the regulator. I run 7-1/4 lbs fuel pressure from idle to full rpm's. You deffinatly need to run steel lines on the pressure side of the pump. Coast Guard boys don't like rubber on the pressure side plus it is cheap ins.
Jeff