PDA

View Full Version : Prop Help Needed.........

Mr. Science
02-12-2005, 08:32 AM
I hope I can get some direction from you guys here. I need to get a prop for an ULTRA 23 XS with a wake board tower. The boat has a 454 MAG ( 390 HP) Bravo 1 in it. She runs pretty good......78 in salt water. It currently has a Mercury Bravo 4 blade SS 24 P. We need to be faster out of the hole for wake boarding and not sacrifice too much on the top end......keep it near 68-70 but killer out of the hole......any suggestions ????
Thanks for your input on this....I felt it would be faster and less hassle to ask the guys who own or know ULTRA 23 XS.

Flying Tiger
02-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Ultra boats are one of the best owner friendly builders that will give you friendly help with this.
John at Ultra is a cool as it gets and I'm sure he will dial you in to get lake tuned.
Most of us run 13x13 or 13x12.5. In my case, a cnc machined brass prop (worth the expense). Probably way outta range for your needs and type of boat.
I run 55mph with a 22 ft, 5600 lb Tige' with the 13x13. 51 mph with the 13x12.5
That half inch in pitch is huge, a ton more snot outta the hole.
Hope this at least gives you a bit of reference, I'm sure your size/pitch range is much different.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_048-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3812Parker_June_04_045-med.jpg

THOR
02-12-2005, 09:03 AM
Mr. Science, I highly suggest a 5-blade for boarding/towing. Since you run a 24P now, look into a Mercury High Five 23P 5 blade. They are very nice props. I have a 26P I run when I want a tad better holeshot instead of my merc 26P 4 blade.
You can search for the high five props on ebay and find them all day long for at least $100 cheaper than retail. Make sure they come with the hub kit though.

Coleitis22
02-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Mr. Science, I highly suggest a 5-blade for boarding/towing. Since you run a 24P now, look into a Mercury High Five 23P 5 blade. They are very nice props. I have a 26P I run when I want a tad better holeshot instead of my merc 26P 4 blade.
You can search for the high five props on ebay and find them all day long for at least $100 cheaper than retail. Make sure they come with the hub kit though.
I talked to Brian at at Teague, hy likes the Mercury Revolution 4 Blade 22p. Good out of the hole and added rpm for top end. .02 worth

THOR
02-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Here is a shot of a 24P, Mercury High Five 5-blade prop. FYI, the even number pitches in these models have a smaller diamter than the odd pitches diameter for a better holeshot.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/4224prop3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/4224prop4-med.jpg

Up 4 River
02-14-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm surprised you don't have an adequate hole shot already with your motor and prop setup, but I can testify that the high-five is great. We had one on my Dad's boat growing up and it's night and day in term of the holeshot. I have one, but do not use it even though I do a lot of skiing. I lose top end when it's on compared to the 4 blade.

Mr. Science
02-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Here is a shot of a 24P, Mercury High Five 5-blade prop. FYI, the even number pitches in these models have a smaller diamter than the odd pitches diameter for a better holeshot.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/4224prop3-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/4224prop4-med.jpg
So...the 23 or the 24 High 5.....we run the boat in salt water...Great South Bay....South Shore fork of Long Island ,,,,,, factor in salt instead of fresh water as well....the boats run a bit faster and sit a bit higher in the water.....so 23 or 24...BTW the High 5 series was one of my picks.......is it better than a 3 blade in your opinion. Also the boarders are all 220 lbs or better.
Thanks

THOR
02-16-2005, 10:57 AM
So...the 23 or the 24 High 5.....we run the boat in salt water...Great South Bay....South Shore fork of Long Island ,,,,,, factor in salt instead of fresh water as well....the boats run a bit faster and sit a bit higher in the water.....so 23 or 24...BTW the High 5 series was one of my picks.......is it better than a 3 blade in your opinion. Also the boarders are all 220 lbs or better.
Thanks
The High Five is way better than the 3 blade. BTW, Mercury is discontinuing at least one of their 3 blade line of props if that tells you anything. I would tend to think that a props were generally have better bite in salt water since it is more dense than fresh water.

Mr. Science
02-16-2005, 11:02 AM
OK 3 blade is out......high 5 is in......how much smaller are the odd numbered 5's.....I am thinking that the 24 would be a better choice than the 23 only because of top end loss....we are trying toi get the best of bothworlds ( what else is new) good hole shot pull with as little as possible loss at the top end.......your thoughts on this theory please

dicudmore
02-16-2005, 11:09 AM
my thoughts....
get a GPS so you know what the boat REALLY runs...
I do agree w/THOR...the 5 blade would work GREAT for towing boarders
Don't try to get both out of one prop, if you're going out boarding run your board prop, going to a poker run, bring the other :wink:

Mr. Science
02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
No I understand....can't do a poker run in a 23 here if ya tried :p
80% of the time the boat is used for boarding it's the 20% when some A hole pulls up next to us and you wanna spank his POS and know ya can all day long....my point ...yes we know we will take a hit on the top end but we are trying to keep as much of it as possible but focus on great boarding. The prop will most likely be on the drive all the time except for rare occassions when we want to race that day.... :rollside:

THOR
02-16-2005, 11:29 AM
OK 3 blade is out......high 5 is in......how much smaller are the odd numbered 5's.....I am thinking that the 24 would be a better choice than the 23 only because of top end loss....we are trying toi get the best of bothworlds ( what else is new) good hole shot pull with as little as possible loss at the top end.......your thoughts on this theory please
12 3/4" for even pitches
13 1/4" for odd pitches
1/2 inch in total diameter. Not that much. I like your thinking. My Dad runs a five blade and loves it.

Mr. Science
02-16-2005, 11:50 AM
I talked to Brian at at Teague, hy likes the Mercury Revolution 4 Blade 22p. Good out of the hole and added rpm for top end. .02 worth
Well this is another option although my gut is telling me we will be banging the rev limiter with a 22p we are real close now with the 24p Bravo