PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive Remover

LUVNLIFE
02-12-2005, 09:07 AM
The guy that owned my 19 Daytona before covered up the parque floor with carpet. He used some type of adhesive thats going to be a bitch to remove. I tryed acetone and it didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on a killer remover. Thanks Cale

Coleitis22
02-12-2005, 09:21 AM
The guy that owned my 19 Daytona before covered up the parque floor with carpet. He used some type of adhesive thats going to be a bitch to remove. I tryed acetone and it didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on a killer remover. Thanks Cale
I used this stuff called "OOPS". Sounds corny but it worked on my boat. Buy a small can and test it.

LUVNLIFE
02-12-2005, 09:33 AM
I'll try it. Where can I find it? I tried googone but no good. I ran out of 3M adhesive remover. That stuff was pretty kickass so I'm gonna get another can.

1slowboat
02-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I had the same thing in my boat. I sanded the glue off with a d/a sander, then used a buffer and some 3m buffing compound. turned out real nice.. :D

AngryJosh
02-12-2005, 12:36 PM
METHYL ETHYL KETONE You can get it at Lowe's. Will remove your problem in a minute, just use in a well ventilated area!!

Coleitis22
02-12-2005, 01:13 PM
METHYL ETHYL KETONE You can get it at Lowe's. Will remove your problem in a minute, just use in a well ventilated area!!
Definitely, wear a mask when using that stuff. Lowe's and Home Depot, great spots to get what you need.

LUVNLIFE
02-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Sounds like METHYLETHYLDEATHAHOL :D Thanks. I bought some 3M remover but at 10 bucks a can and a big area it will take a while. I will check it out at HD and try it on a small spot. Now if I'm reading right before I use it I take a big whiff right? :eek: J/K I'll be careful.

Jbb
02-12-2005, 07:01 PM
Just a note of caution ...If you use MEK .... use it outdoors ...near no sparks....wear a good respirator....wear nitrile rubber gloves ( it absorbs thru the skin and settles in your liver) and wear tight fitting goggles in a concentrated area ..or use a fan...the fumes can dry, and badly irritate your eyes...Not stuff to fool around with... :sqeyes:

LUVNLIFE
02-12-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I can do it outside but better get some gloves. On second thought maybe I don't want to ef with the stuff. :supp:

sdpm
02-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Hi Cale, Are you going to be ready this year? If you need any help or if there is anything I can do, let me know. Talk to you later. Neil (Get er' done!!!) :cool:

AngryJosh
02-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah Cale, it will work wonders on your project, but that is nasty stuff. Use it outside only!!

R.A.D.man
02-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Safety notice on the MEK. If any of you have in stored for a long time, it can be hazardous when you next try to open the can. Small crystals can form at the cap and when the friction of removing the cap is introduced, an explosion can occur. This is from an OSHA training program I attended. This is not to say it will happen, but it is possible. I had an old can and disposed of it after going through the course. If I ever need it again, I will buy a fresh can.

BIGAMIST
02-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I can do it outside but better get some gloves. On second thought maybe I don't want to ef with the stuff. :supp:
I'll do it :crossx:

LUVNLIFE
02-14-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks bro but too late,,,,,I did it :cool:

LUVNLIFE
02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
OK, the carpet and adhesive is history. Took $60 worth of 3M adhesive cleaner. The methyl ethlyl deathahol was half the price but with the 3M I could start and stop easy in the garage after work without alot of concern. Plus I have a little girl and boy that love to come out and see what daddy is doing so it was better. I took pics and will post them when I have some other things to change done. Thanks Cale

BIGAMIST
02-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Buff it out.........buff it out.........buff it out...............let me know :wink: