PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating at home..works great!

Kurtis500
02-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I got one of those cheap power coaters from harbor freight and went to town on my race boats. I love the thing!! I powder coated the v-drive cases, injector and a bunch of brackets already. I didn't even have to sand down the fine sand casting on the cases, it smoothed out over the roughness.
Its hard to take good pictures of glossy black, but the surface is smooth and very shiney. The pics dont do it much justice. I could have done a little better at masking, but hey, its my first try at it. Only a few seconds of application and 15 minutes in the oven and its DONE! you can even re-apply it and baked it again if its not perfect.
I'm switching most everything on the boats to glossy black, carbon fiber and the real candy apple red( House of Kolor). After neglecting the boats appearance for a few years now I think its time for a good change. The powder coater was only $59 and the pints of powder are $10. For that price it is well worth it.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/7P1010087.JPG

dmontzsta
02-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I have heard they do, that stuff looks nice. I am waiting for Dan to fix his or get a new one so he can show me his skills.

repo man
02-12-2005, 07:32 PM
i gots skills baby!

coolchange
02-13-2005, 11:02 AM
What kind of durability are you getting. Did you give it the fling test? I thought about gettin one of those but wsn't sure of the quality.

fltflyn
02-15-2005, 07:56 AM
ya i'm curious to. how tough is it ?

Kurtis500
02-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I cant say just yet. I just did the parts. It does seem far more durable than paint.