PDA

View Full Version : When Has The Extended Warranty saved your @$$

Flying Tiger
02-13-2005, 11:13 AM
I decided not to get the extended warranty on my GMC.
It would add about 64k miles to the new warranty.
Anyone bought the extended and it was worth it?

Essex29
02-13-2005, 11:20 AM
I blew a tranny in a suburban a couple of years ago on the way back from Parker...3 days later they paid for everything...tranny, hotel, tow and even my food while I was stranded in Blythe....best 1500.00 I ever spent

Daytona100
02-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Unless you can fix it yourself I would buy the warrenty. Shop labor rates are almost a 100.00 per hour and parts are marked up a 100%. Another thing to keep in mind is if the truck has been modified Lifted or bigger tires make the person selling the warrenty put in writeing that they will cover any driveline failures trans or differential. If they wont put it in writeing I would just save the 2000.00 dollars put it in the bank for future repairs. :idea:

Kachina26
02-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Granted I only see broken vehicles. But, I have seen the extended warranty really pay off for some of my customers. I have no idea how many have bought the warranty and never used it though. I don't know what truck you have, but if you have one equipped with the 4L60E trans and you tow your boat regularly, you may be spending $3500-$4000 on a SRTA transmission before 100k miles. An a/c failure can easily run $1000. Window motors can run $500. It's a bet, and naturally, the house (General Motors) has the odds stacked in their favor. I declined on my truck, but the labor is free for me. You have until your factory warranty runs out to make a choice, and some things (emissions componants) carry a longer warranty than 36k miles.

CBLavey
02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
The best thousand bucks I ever spent. Between 42,000 and 70,000 miles my wife's 01' Suburban has went through two window motors, a fuel pump, an ABS pump, fuel injection problems and a new HVAC control panel. Other than that this POS is a great vehicle. I would not buy American without an extended warranty.

Garrddogg
02-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I think I'll buy the extended warranty :2purples:

Kachina26
02-13-2005, 12:10 PM
I told you, I had your warranty blocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrddogg
02-13-2005, 12:13 PM
I told you, I had your warranty blocked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEY GO EAT YOUR SMAMICH! :hammerhea

manuel
02-13-2005, 12:51 PM
On a '99 Buick Riviera I went with a friend and they wanted $1,300. for the ext. warranty, we went round and round on it and got it for $800. after quoting stuff from Consumers Report about the costs, anyway two weeks later the supercharger bites the dust, she thought I was a genius, but she did have to pay for gaskets though which was in the fine print. still a great ending for her. I wish they still made those cars, I liked the shape. Manuel

Essex29
02-13-2005, 12:59 PM
I just remembered that the dealer replaced my a/c system 6 months ago..would have cost 2000.00.
the down...my plan has a 200.00 deductible

a catered life
02-13-2005, 02:00 PM
get the warranty ....remember if you dont and something goes wrong you will be piised that you didnt get it :umm: but if you do get it and nothing goes wrong you wont even know cause it only adds a little to the payment :hammerhea even better if you have a friend that has a shop get it cause if the friend knows what hes doing you can get a lot of other crap fixed along the way :wink:

HOOTER SLED-
02-13-2005, 02:07 PM
I purchased a warranty when I got our USED Suburban. 10 months after we bought it, tranny needs to be rebuilt. I paid a $50 deductible for an $1800 bill. I paid maybe $1500 for the warranty I think??? Well worth it. Especially since I was buying used.

Mandelon
02-13-2005, 02:30 PM
What company offers the best warranty? I have always heard stories about what is NOT covered......

djunkie
02-13-2005, 03:15 PM
A friend of mine is an Allstate insurance agent. When I bought my last truck He told me about a warranty that they offer. I don't remeber the details of it but it was cheaper than doing it at the dealer and if I remeber correctly it was just as good. I'm definately gonna look into it for my next truck. Its nice to have on a vehicle thought you may use for traveling, towing, etc. One trans. rebuild and it pays for itself.

TOBTEK
02-13-2005, 03:33 PM
I sell them for a Living. The rule of thumb is " If you buy it, you will never need it.....and if you dont buy it, you will wish you would have!" I just bought one for the new D-max, 5years or 100k, retail is $2901.00 and I can get them for 1651.00 ZERO dect. Keep in mind this is not threw GMPP (General motors protection plan) BUT a VERY long term carrier we have used for the last ten or so yrs. ( strong company IF they made it threw 911!) IF you can get it for the same $$$ by the manufacture thats allways best, but alot more money sometimes. Let me know if I can help you or ANYONE else with a plan....Toby GREAT PIECE OF MIND!

OutCole'd
02-13-2005, 03:36 PM
The extended warr I bought the last time, if you did not use it and sold the vehicle or went over the miles and never used it, GM gave you your money back for it. How can you go wrong with that?

djunkie
02-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I agree with Tobe. I'd rather get the extra warranty and never need it than get caught with your pants down when something goes wrong at 60k miles.

shadow
02-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I am a heavy line tech @ Ford. I do some of the most costly repairs in the Dealership.Often i see repairs 3k and up usually on a daily basis.Also i see 2 customers with the same repair one pays a small deductible $50-$100 if any deductible at all.The next guy without the extened plan is shelling the $$$$
out of pocket.
Buy It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a catered life
02-13-2005, 03:47 PM
A friend of mine is an Allstate insurance agent. When I bought my last truck He told me about a warranty that they offer. I don't remeber the details of it but it was cheaper than doing it at the dealer and if I remeber correctly it was just as good. I'm definately gonna look into it for my next truck. Its nice to have on a vehicle thought you may use for traveling, towing, etc. One trans. rebuild and it pays for itself.
we got ours through our credit union and it was a little better and a lot cheaper than the one the dealer offers check into your options before you buy one

Lightning
02-13-2005, 06:00 PM
My take on the extended warranty is this. If you buy one all the time, the moeny that you spend will probably be the same to fix something before you off the vehicle.
Like they say with warranty's and insurance. "You never need it, until you need it. When don't have it and you need it, it's too late."

Kachina26
02-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Let me say this about non-factory extended warranties. Many of them exclude things that at least GM extended warranties cover. Many of them pay less than what the shop charges and the customer has to make up the difference. Many of them require the customer to pay up front and wait for reimbursement (unless the shop is willing to "hold the bag" ). I've seen more than one of them that had gone belly up before the first time the customer went to use it. The factory one is marked up like anything else and can be negotiated a little. I think the factory one is worth the extra money. :coffeycup

boatnam2
02-13-2005, 07:28 PM
well my wife pays the bills selling warranties so you know my answer lol.

SCUBA STEVE
02-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Got the extended warranty on my truck, never used it, then bam the differential went out with a few thousand miles left on it. I think the bill would have ran me close to $1500, just paid the $50 dollar deductible and that was that. :p

wildbillg
02-13-2005, 07:44 PM
99 f 350 bought the ext warr 60k miles or 72 months, never used it untill the 71st month and the tranny went out had it replaced with a new tranny and another 36k 36 month warrenty, only had 18 days left on the warrenty and only had to pay $50 ded.
They are worth the piece of mind........

NorCal Gameshow
02-13-2005, 07:54 PM
read the fine print...on some non-factory policies they can replace a bad part (like a transmission) with a used one... :frown:
the last one I bought was a factory policy. I transferred it to the buyer when I sold the car, with no hassles.

bilgewiper
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I bought a extended warrentee from my insurance co. for my Chevy Express van. It was about $700 and I had no problem getting Chevy to honor it when the trans went out at 60k mi. I think the smart thing to do is NOT finance the extended warrentee or it gets really expensive. Of coarse not financing the purchase of the vehicle makes even more sense but somehow thats easier said than done......at least for me

PowellScooter
02-13-2005, 07:58 PM
we use it to save folks ass every day. best $ you will ever spend. dont bitch about the deductible either its always less than the repair

RiverPirate
02-13-2005, 09:34 PM
I've only bought one and it was on a 98 1/2 ton Suburban that was making many trips to Havasu pulling the boat. It cost me $995.00 at the dealer with no deductable. By the time I sold it with 73,000 miles, I had cashed in on $5600.00 worth of repairs. Transmission, water pump, injectors, etc. It was the best 1000 dollars I ever spent. Bought an diesel Excursion in 02 without a warranty. Go figure. :D