PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk pump angles...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
How critical is it to have a certain # of degrees in the actual intake? Where do you take the proper measurement to find "0" degrees? Where do you get your measurement on the actual intake(front or rear of the intake)? Im just curious to see what people are actual doing. I just checked my old intake and it read 4.4 degrees. Let get a discussion.... Pictures would be alot better for the newbies;)

BrendellaJet
04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
This has been covered sever times lately in great detail.
You know this, man! :crossx:
0 degrees is found on your keel in front of your intake(assuming it is flat). Set the back edge of the shoe even or just above the keel, and then attempt to set the angle by adjusting the front adjuster screws. It may or may not work out right depending on the boat. IMO, a relatively level install, that is centered with the properly placed shoe along with a smooth transition into the intake is what matters.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2006, 06:14 PM
This has been covered sever times lately in great detail.
You know this, man! :crossx:
0 degrees is found on your keel in front of your intake(assuming it is flat). Set the back edge of the shoe even or just above the keel, and then attempt to set the angle by adjusting the front adjuster screws. It may or may not work out right depending on the boat. IMO, a relatively level install, that is centered with the properly placed shoe along with a smooth transition into the intake is what matters.
Well i did a search and came up with bits and pieces. I just figured that we could get some opinions in here...........

BrendellaJet
04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
Have you yanked your intake yet?

dragboat
04-21-2006, 06:38 PM
My intake is out and getting powder coated. It was leaking and had to come out. I to have searched the archives and found bits and pieces. There are no shops anywhere close. I'd love to see someone take it from start to finish. I've learned only enough to be dangerous... not good.

BrendellaJet
04-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I was waiting for someone to say that. When you get it back, find 4 screws for the adjusters and put it in the boat. Thats where the learning happens, not on here. Trust me, I was where you are now. Get it in the boat and start applying what the threads covered:
1.Center it, level it (from starboard to port)
2.Then play with the keel depth.
3.Go back and check #1.
4.Check #2 after doing #3. If changes are needed go back to #1.
5. examine transition from keel to front of intake. Intake should not be below keel.
6. Check angle.
Once you can have all of those issues taken care of in unison, you are ready to go.
*Note, Im no pro, but this is what worked for me. Those steps took a long time to get right for me. Measure, measure and measure some more, then go measure it again. When you go to actually set the intake, have a couple of helpers just in case. Buy plenty of epoxyand mix it a little cool so you have ample drying time for making adjustments and taking final measurements.

sanger rat
04-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Dragboat. This should help you out. http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3224

sleekcrafter
04-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Even with the keel is what you want, The four corners of you intake are threaded, use these to level the intake, prior to applying the seagoing epoxy. This gets you real close, to where you want to be, and results in less mess, and a neater job. Also lay tape down to where you want the epoxy edge to be, and also round the top edge of the pump, smooth out the epoxy, and puill the tape, it leaves a nice clean edge, and looks pro :)
Sleek

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Have you yanked your intake yet?
Intake has been yanked. I just ground all the poxy putty out. IT is ready to be set but I wanted a few ideas on what others do;)

dragboat
04-22-2006, 07:58 PM
From the very start, level the boat ?, Jack stands? 4 degrees what way ? Where to tape? I know it may be painfull but don't leave any thing out. I want the big picture the no shtttt Steelcomp-OldRigger "complete story". all the way to cracking one open and stepping back to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment knowing it's been done right. .....

dragboat
04-22-2006, 08:27 PM
Dragboat. This should help you out. http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3224 getting there.

tahitijet
04-23-2006, 10:25 AM
From the very start, level the boat ?, Jack stands? 4 degrees what way ? Where to tape? I know it may be painfull but don't leave any thing out. I want the big picture the no shtttt Steelcomp-OldRigger "complete story". all the way to cracking one open and stepping back to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment knowing it's been done right. .....
I'm not a pro but here is what i can offer you. level the boat your intake should sit flat agianst the keel and 4* at the suction and intake flange. (4* on the flange, 0* on the bottom of the boat)
once you have the intake perfectly level and square in the boat (this will most likely take all day) tape out just beside the intake
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709P4020222-med.JPG
Then pull the intake back out and put down your poxy putty reset the intake and stand on it to seat it good. put some weight on it (an old head or something) and walk away for a few hours. Come back once it's begining to set up and smooth by dipping your finger in a little acetone. let it sit just a bit longer and pull the tape. now let the intake set 24hrs before pulling the 4 corner bolts and bolting it down.
DON'T attempt to bolt it in before the epoxy sets up fully. If you do you run a big chance of pulling a hook in the bottom.
hope that helps some.

DEL51
04-23-2006, 07:49 PM
I was waiting for someone to say that. When you get it back, find 4 screws for the adjusters and put it in the boat. Thats where the learning happens, not on here. Trust me, I was where you are now. Get it in the boat and start applying what the threads covered:
1.Center it, level it (from starboard to port)
2.Then play with the keel depth.
3.Go back and check #1.
4.Check #2 after doing #3. If changes are needed go back to #1.
5. examine transition from keel to front of intake. Intake should not be below keel.
6. Check angle.
Once you can have all of those issues taken care of in unison, you are ready to go.
*Note, Im no pro, but this is what worked for me. Those steps took a long time to get right for me. Measure, measure and measure some more, then go measure it again. When you go to actually set the intake, have a couple of helpers just in case. Buy plenty of epoxyand mix it a little cool so you have ample drying time for making adjustments and taking final measurements.That was cool explination and simple but true. Keep it smooth and learn from others. You can improve with tenacity.

American Turbine Man
04-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Go to the American Turbine web site we have detailed instructions. One thing I would advise you to do, grind off the powder coat where it contacts the epoxy. Do this just before you are ready to spread the epoxy, also fresh grind around the intake cut-out.
ATM
<*))))><{