PDA

View Full Version : flattie speeds

Floored
02-13-2005, 01:22 PM
lets say Parker strip, 6:00 am , pure glass, no other boats running, wake up run. With a regular lake racer flattie at what speed,speaking just ballpark, does the ride go from way cool :cool: to ohhmaaagodddd :2purples: . I've been in the 100 mph zone in a flatty and it was way cool, but , at what speed do they generally become alittle unstable for sustaining that speed for a distance, say an extra 1/2 mile or so. and yes wearing proper gear. just wondering

ColeTR1
02-13-2005, 05:23 PM
The difference between 100 and 120 is big. And if you went 100 in a flat, I would say you where probably doing 80. Everyone that has a flat will tell you it goes 100. ;) There are not too many flats on the river that go over 100. :supp:

Floored
02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
that was 32 years ago in a new Howard with a whole lot of big block chevy running 8k on the top end 22% over with a 2 blade Stellings prop , so ok maybe. The older I get the faster I was. We were playing ski boat getting it ready for the old unblown fuel flat class.

rrrr
02-13-2005, 06:02 PM
My 38 year old Howard runs 79 GPS with the same setup it was built with, a Holman-Moody 427FE low riser with two Holley fours.
Who sez old is slow? :D :D

dmontzsta
02-13-2005, 07:57 PM
My 38 year old Howard runs 79 GPS with the same setup it was built with, a Holman-Moody 427FE low riser with two Holley fours.
Who sez old is slow? :D :D
Not bad for a stocker eh? :D FE power.
I think anything over 75mph is "oh my god".

InKahntrol
02-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Hard question to answer... depends on the hull and the driver. I've gone a true 80mph in my friend's 17'10" Sanger and it felt like we were cruising along as comfortable as can be. The same speed (actually 77mph on GPS) in my old 18' Nordic was absolutely frightening because it liked to chine walk and do wierd stuff.
My dad's lightweight Baron Sprint used to turn 7,500 rpm with 37% gears in the v-drive and a radical blown BBC, and it was absolutely white-knuckle make-you-piss-your-pants scary (not sure how fast that is, but well over 100mph). He has since blown that motor up and replaced it with a 700hp injected BBC, and it only turns about 6,700 rpm but is much more comfortable.
The scariest ride I ever got wasn't in a flatty. A friend of ours owns a 24' Campbell with a 1,000hp Gentry Twin Turbo BBC and no interior. He took me for a ride when I was a kid, and since there wasn't a passenger seat I had to crouch on the floor while he screamed across the lake at about 85mph... and I could see the top of the cabin and the deck flexing. That ride put the fear of god into me... and hooked me on V-drive cruisers for the rest of my life!
Dan

Kim Hanson
02-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Not bad for a stocker eh? :D FE power.
You would Rice Boy..............( . )( . )......... :D

dmontzsta
02-13-2005, 09:01 PM
You would Rice Boy..............( . )( . )......... :D
Sorry, I am just not as manly as you...dont have the long hair and slim figure and cut off jean shorts style down just yet.
:sqeyes:

haulina29
02-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Cole TR1 have you owned that boat since 78?

Kim Hanson
02-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Sorry, I am just not as manly as you...dont have the long hair and slim figure and cut off jean shorts style down just yet.
:sqeyes:
Some have it!.........( . )( . )............. :hammerhea

bigkatboat
02-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I think the problem that worries me most is, I cann't control all the other boats that MIGHT pull out from either shore. The trafic seems to be making 'speed runs' impossable. One other little problem is set up vs. distance, if you have a dry sump motor you have no problems. If you have a wet sump motor and it is set up for 1/4 mile only, you could run out of oil at 'just the wrong time' BANG! Back in the 70's we all would race in front of Fox's (start at Red Rock) and finish at the pole on the dock, that was a good distance and it put you right in the rough water on 'shut down'. Back then everyone knew what was going on and STAYED OUT OF THE WAY! Today it just ain't the same. Going a longer distance is possable as long as you are the only one out there. Have you ever hit a small wake at speeds above 125? It gets your mind RIGHT, in a hurry. 92 was fast in my ol' Warren Hurricane, and 128 was fast in my blown Honda, and 149 was fast in my blown gas 'hunk a Coal', racing at the track is still the best way to go. The V- drive 'parties' are also a good way to get 'every one educated' on the traffic problems. Good bunch of people.

bigkatboat
02-14-2005, 10:29 AM
I just remembered, back in (?) 2002 at Red Rock my buddy Glen ran his boat on a radar gun. He and his (adult) son ran 120 mph past the beach (2 people in boat). The boat has set the record in Ski Flat @ 130 mph. So some people have gone fast, if only for a short distance.

You Te
02-15-2005, 07:57 AM
75 is fastest enough for me. :D :D :D
You Te

Sanger D
02-15-2005, 08:20 AM
my 69 sanger runs 82,stock 454 with some slightly worked big oval heads and ONE 850 annuler,gps,d 3 times at 81.6 and 82 mph,VERY RESPECTABLE #,s for that old boat and its small power,but man its the RIDE ,you gotta DRIVE that boat. A 121 mph in my old mans 76 sanger is the fastest I,ve ever been on water but when I raced crackers,!!!it was the scariest ride ever at 98 mph in a 15,8" boat C,MON!!!!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Sanger D

dmontzsta
02-15-2005, 09:12 AM
75 is fastest enough for me. :D :D :D
You Te
Hey, I actually agree with you on that. :D

PE 316
02-15-2005, 12:36 PM
I've personally been 142 MPH in an "open" (non-capsuled) flat.
I didn't seem to notice any difference between 120 and 140 mph.
However, I'm told that "Life begins at 150 mph" in a flat.
(by the way that slogan is painted on the dash of my Dad's flat)

lucky
02-15-2005, 12:41 PM
The Funnest Is When Your Sitting Backwards In The Observers Seat Running On A Buck :d Dat Der Is Koool

jackpunx
02-15-2005, 12:44 PM
The Funnest Is When Your Sitting Backwards In The Observers Seat Running On A Buck :d Dat Der Is Koool
that was my first and only ride in a real Vdrive.. Vector 1500hp..I was impressed.. but it could have ended bad if the driver was someone else :jawdrop:
boat 030 owes me a ride in BigRed.. I'll report back after that one..

lucky
02-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Yes - At 1500 Hp That Sounds Like An Avala Boat :)

jackpunx
02-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Yes - At 1500 Hp That Sounds Like An Avala Boat :)
it is the old Clearmans boat.. He's running it conservative at 1000 hp for family boating..lol

lucky
02-15-2005, 12:57 PM
How Long Did You Get To White Knuckle It :) A Couple Laps ? My 18 Foot Rayson - Was Alot Of Fun - Ya Go To The Lake ( My Boat When I Was 16 ) Get A Nice Dumb Girl Set Her In,- Show Her The Foot Peddle On The Block And The Two Ohh Shit Handles ( Always Got What Are These For ) Idle Out Of The 5 Mile Zone - Take Her To 2 Grand And Look At Her - , Knuckles A Little Tighter - Then You Nail It For A Brief Romp To 5 Grand And Their Tits Where Out Flopin And They Would Never Ever Go Out Again - Lol Cheerleaders Suck Lmao :d

jackpunx
02-15-2005, 01:13 PM
How Long Did You Get To White Knuckle It :) A Couple Laps ? My 18 Foot Rayson - Was Alot Of Fun - Ya Go To The Lake ( My Boat When I Was 16 ) Get A Nice Dumb Girl Set Her In,- Show Her The Foot Peddle On The Block And The Two Ohh Shit Handles ( Always Got What Are These For ) Idle Out Of The 5 Mile Zone - Take Her To 2 Grand And Look At Her - , Knuckles A Little Tighter - Then You Nail It For A Brief Romp To 5 Grand And Their Tits Where Out Flopin And They Would Never Ever Go Out Again - Lol Cheerleaders Suck Lmao :d
Not long enough.. it was actually really smooth.. I wish I could have actualy seen the water we were going through.. It was in Parker.. we went about a mile, made some pretty sharp turnes.. did a fast U turn.. clicked into 3rd.. and felt then engine get closer to me by a couple inches..lol

LVjetboy
02-16-2005, 02:26 AM
"And if you went 100 in a flat, I would say you where probably doing 80. Everyone that has a flat will tell you it goes 100. There are not too many flats on the river that go over 100."
The truth. Finally. :D
jer

cdnguitarsnboats
02-16-2005, 08:05 AM
One other little problem is set up vs. distance, if you have a dry sump motor you have no problems. If you have a wet sump motor and it is set up for 1/4 mile only, you could run out of oil at 'just the wrong time' BANG!
I'm going to ask a silly question. Actually, two:
1) How is an engine set up for 1/4 mile only? As long as it has adequate cooling and appropriate heavy duty parts, why would the engine care?
2) How would you run out of oil? Not all circle racing hydro/flat classes use dry sump, and they run flat out for 5 miles at about 7000RPM. They can't run those deep pans, either.
Am I missing something?
Thanks,
Jim