PDA

View Full Version : adjustable timing pointer

78 Sprint
02-13-2005, 09:22 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but i bought one of those long tipped timing pointers so i could read it easier,it is also adjustable. so my question is how do i get everything zeroed. what is the best way to adjust that pointer so that it is right on top dead center and how do you get the motor perfectly on top dead center. thanks for any advice.

nascar97
02-13-2005, 09:42 PM
The best way is to do it with the heads off but if the heads are on then you need to get a screw in TDC finder and rotate the engine over by hand and find TDC and set the pointer.

78 Sprint
02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Another stupid question but what is the trick to using the screw in style thanks.

NELSON#109
02-13-2005, 11:55 PM
it's easy, find tdc by hand ( finger on the hole ) screw it in the #1 hole. slowly turn the it over clockwise or counter clockwise ( by hand, w/ the key off & coil wire dirconected ). when the piston hits the finder, make a mark on the balancer. slowly turn the engine over the other way till it stops, and again make a mark. top dead center is in the midle of those two marks. if you dont want to buy a tdc finder, they are easy to make. get an old spark plug and break out the porcilen. tap out the center and screw a bolt threw it, i used a 6" bolt, and it sticks through the end of the spark plug 1& 3/8". the bolt is locked on to the spark plug w/ two nuts on the back side of the plug. i rounded the end of the bolt where it contacts the piston. sounds retarded, but it was easy and quick to make, and it works like a champ.

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-14-2005, 08:17 AM
78 Sprint, Nelson#109's got it! I made mine too....Real easy, _ummit also sells one for $8 bones. You might be amazed how far off your original pointer has been running. Those cheap pressed tin pointers are way off sometimes. When I checked mine, it was 2 degrees off compared to "true" top dead center..Doug

Heatseeker
02-14-2005, 08:26 AM
One thing to remember when using the plug type deal is to approach the top of the stroke slowly. That bolt will dent your piston with ease! As long as you are careful, there's no worries.

R.A.D.man
02-14-2005, 09:37 AM
If your motor is already built, and nothing is wrong, and you are just replacing the current indicator, just rotate your motor until the mark touches 0 on the current setup. Then remove the old one and replace it with the adjustable one, then set the indicator to the harmonic balancer line and your done.

Heatseeker
02-14-2005, 09:51 AM
If your motor is already built, and nothing is wrong, and you are just replacing the current indicator, just rotate your motor until the mark touches 0 on the current setup. Then remove the old one and replace it with the adjustable one, then set the indicator to the harmonic balancer line and your done.
How would a guy know if the pointer was in the right place to begin with?
It's best to do as suggested above, just to be sure. In some applications a couple of degrees can be the difference between a good hard run and melting down.
I wouldn't chance it.

78 Sprint
02-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the information i think i will just make on at work. so let me see if i understand this right leave about 1 3/8" of the bolt sticking through the spark plug get #1 coming up on compression stroke rolling the motor over until the piston just hits the bolt, stop and put a marke on the balancer were the pointer is pointing roll the engine over in the opposite direction until it hits the bolt again and put another mark. the center between those two marks will be TDC and i should be able to adjust my pointer to line up with this mark with out rolling the motor over any more right correct me if im wrong thanks again for all your help.

Heatseeker
02-16-2005, 05:55 PM
You pretty much got it.
After you determine and mark the center,it won't matter where you posistion the pointer as long as it lines up with your mark.
Good luck!

78 Sprint
02-16-2005, 06:00 PM
thanks for your help It's probably a good idea to have the adjustable pointer so you can make sure it is right on TDC thanks again.

Fogged Gullwing
02-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Unlash the valves before you do it!!!!!!! infact pull the rockers If you make your piston stop drill a hole thru the center so the air can escape from the cylinder :hammer2:
BK

R.A.D.man
02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
How would a guy know if the pointer was in the right place to begin with?
I wouldn't chance it.
My suggestion was assuming he knew the motor and was just trying to change the pointer. No worries.
Maybe a more accurate method than the screwdriver/finger method would be to buy one of those inexpensive TDC piston stops that screw into the sparkplug hole. Jegs part # 249-4795. I have not used one but it would be more accurate. Still do as the others have suggested and this will get you even closer to TDC.
This should be the link. http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=191768&prmenbr=361

78 Sprint
02-24-2005, 03:30 PM
I must be stupid i can't seem to make this work i put the TDC finder in #1 on compression stroke bring it up until it hits put a mark on the balancer turn over in the oppisite direction until it hits and put a mark and the center of theses two marks is showing TDC on my balancer so how do i set my pointer to be perfectly on TDC I'm lost

AZKC
02-24-2005, 03:43 PM
You would point it at the mark in the middle. How far is it from the groove in the balancer?

78 Sprint
02-24-2005, 03:57 PM
when you find your center mark you should not have to roll the engine over any more to adjust the pointer right, there is no way i can do that Tdc lines up perfectly in the Tdc grove of my balancer, but my pointer does not have that much adjustment i think i'm doing some thing wrong thanks for the help

Heatseeker
02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
If you made your initial marks at the pointer, and you remove the stop and roll the center mark to the pointer, you're crank should be right on TDC.

78 Sprint
02-24-2005, 04:11 PM
I get it now . told you i was not very smart thanks for you help.

Heatseeker
02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Glad to be of help :wink: .

78 Sprint
02-24-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all your help i don't know how many times i staired at that thing and it was right there in front of my face if the center mark is not on the tdc groove of your balancer you have to make an adjustment with the pointer right. it was only like one degree off but i learned some thing so it was worth the effort. thanks for all your patience.

NELSON#109
02-24-2005, 06:52 PM
sweet, you got it!!!