PDA

View Full Version : Decibel Meters.......

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Just looking for some information on these meters........We saw it all coming for years now, but it really hit home after reading the last HB article on the new noise laws and muffler testing......Our plan might be to purchase one of these meters and at least know our noise level or use it for testing various types of muffler combinations. In our experience, the law enforcement agencies around our area are strict. It sure would be nice to at least know where our level is before we sign the ticket........ :jawdrop: Ouch!
Anyway, I jumped on-line and found many manufacturers of these devices. Prices ranging from $89-$1K. There sure is a big spread, and I'm sure the quality is spread out too......The average accuracy (+/-) is around 1.5 db. This looks to be somewhat standard for most models I viewed. These devices are new to us and we are learning about them. Does anyone know of a "decent" model for a "decent" price and location to purchase? Thanks for any help, Doug

Cole Sanger
02-14-2005, 10:00 AM
I bought a real cheap one from Radioshack. It will get you close enough. This one is ten times better than the one I bought (mine is analog).
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F008%5F004%5F000&product%5Fid=33%2D2055

cyclone
02-14-2005, 11:28 AM
The Radio Shack db meter works great and will give you the same readings that the LE will get with the more expensive units.

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys, I'll head over to RS and check both of them out!! They have the best price too!! :rollside: Doug

moneysucker
02-14-2005, 04:22 PM
I will be getting the RS version too. Now I can cary a radar gun, GPS, various tools and jets, and a db meter? That is a great price on the RS one.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
02-14-2005, 07:48 PM
I will be getting the RS version too. Now I can cary a radar gun, GPS, various tools and jets, and a db meter? That is a great price on the RS one.
Don't forget the timing lite!!! Budlight. :hammerhea

Kindsvater Flat
02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I got mine from the sherriffs office
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/mike/muffler78.jpg

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I hear ya! What will it be next, a smog certificate too......Oops, I didn't say that! :cry:

moneysucker
02-15-2005, 12:19 AM
By the way, How is the Southwind Progressing? Haven't heard in a while. Hope everything is good with that project.,
Cy

LVjetboy
02-15-2005, 01:27 AM
NV, $1000 and/or 6 months in jail!?
What's the world coming to?
Oh ya and all you OT guys, you're busted mufflers or no. Your jet's illegal on the west coast so beach it or get used to being a chronic law-breaker. :jawdrop:
Why even bother with a DB meter?
jer

HoffmanEagleMarine
02-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey Cy, Thanks for asking. We plan to try again as soon as the rain stops! We have 3 different loaders to try next time out! The headers are back on, timing checked and ready! Hopefully better results this go around!!!! To lose 20 mph over the winter with little change is really odd.... :cry: In fact, it hurts! I'll let you know how it goes on the next trip out! Doug