PDA

View Full Version : Golf Carts: DIY or buy tricked out?

PHX ATC
02-14-2005, 11:57 AM
I think I've come full circle. First I thought I wanted a cart, then we had no need for one, now we're back into the "I can use one," category.
My intenet is not to start a brand war or a pissing contest, but to ask opinions and experiences.
First, let me explain what I think I'll need/want and the usage. We'd be cruising asphalt streets, my concrete driveway, and some crushed granite (small compacted stuff) on my property. We'd be hauling bales of hay (usually no more than one at a time) and other small items, but nothing heavier than a bale of hay. We wouldn't need to tow anything with it (although if the opportunity presented itself, the boat (if I still have it) and the horse trailer). That's about it.
I'm not too terribly interested in lookie loo paint jobs, stock white is okay with me. I would want to lift it (4" to 6" I guess is common), have the appropriate wheel/tire combos, have a top on it, and a flipflop rear seat. That would pretty much be about it.
I've spoken in the past with TOBTEK and Mrs. Casean about these carts. That was right before we decided we wouldn't need one. They were a great help then and I'm sure they still will be.
Is it worth the hassle to purchase a cart and then lift and add the above items yourself or easier to purchase one already done? Bang for the buck, I guess.
What are the pros/cons for the 3 biggie brand names?
What are the pros/cons for electric vs. gas?
What would you do different next time?
Thanks in advance.

Mrs CP 19
02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
We got a club car xrt turf II (rough terrain with front seat and cargo bed) in 1999. When it is here at home, I use it for hauling stuff around and can fit 4 bales in back with no problem. We have debated whether to lift it more for years (it comes with a small lift and large tires) But we would lose the front brakes. At the river it is great for taking the dogs for a ride or loading people in back. If you are looking for a back seat, sounds like you just want a regular cart, not sure about hauling a bale in one though. Gas is the only way to go in my opinion. Try this for an idea about add on lift, wheels,parts...http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/ and good luck.

OutCole'd
02-14-2005, 12:47 PM
I have just gone through this and I would think it is about the same either way you go. You just save a ton of labor to have it done. There is a lot of work putting these together.
I have about 6K into mine which is about what it would cost to have someone put it together for you.
Things to avoid, if you go Club Car like mine, Don't get a "Regen" cart. It is a feature to slows the cart down while going down hill & recharge the batteries at the same time. The problem with these carts is there is no aftermarket contoller available for it. Also you are limited on the motor.
On a non Regen cart, everything is available.
Depends on how you plan on using it on whether to go gas or electric. Gas, noisy & more maintenance, but not limited on travel distance like electric.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1075Picture_001.jpg

Not So Fast
02-14-2005, 02:49 PM
every where I look there is OCed, that is a cool cart my man. I've been looking at them and for the distance I want to go (N. Palo Verde to the Island) I've been told it wouldnt make it. or go to far up the hills to visit friends, gas is what I need but again the one I picked out at Premier carts in town here is of course $6000. it's a bitch to be retired on a fixed budget, I think i'll just get an older Jeep. NSF :2purples:

PHX ATC
02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Thanks everybody!
I think I'm leaning towards gas. In the cart. :2purples:

Nubbs
02-14-2005, 10:42 PM
All of the big 3 make nice carts. I prefer the looks of the EZGO. Gas carts are nice because you just add gas and go. Electric carts are nice because they don't make noise and the maintenance is minimal. How far do you plan on driving your cart?

Dawn Patrol
02-14-2005, 11:13 PM
I went with the Gas Cart. Alot of power and it can drive a very long time on a tank of gas. In the sand a gasser is a must.
I love my Yamaha.

PHX ATC
02-15-2005, 06:23 AM
All of the big 3 make nice carts. I prefer the looks of the EZGO. Gas carts are nice because you just add gas and go. Electric carts are nice because they don't make noise and the maintenance is minimal. How far do you plan on driving your cart?
Not too very far. Down the road to the kid's park (maybe 1/4 mile) and back. Then putzing around on the property. I can't see more than 5 or 6 miles a day.
No sand or off roading for fun. The worst it would see would be in the horse pasture area and up over the berm that separates the pasture from the rest of the property.

Sun burners
02-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I went with a GAS Club Car
Doing it my self and am up to about $3k.
ITS FUN! and it will roll!