PDA

View Full Version : On the top of my bowl there are two plug screws. What for?

tornreality
02-14-2005, 08:42 PM
I figured they are for oil or grease. My dip sh-t neighbor knows everything about everything and he tells me that you unscrew them and fill them up with oil. I thought to myself that oil would just run out and that it is probably for grease. But I would rather ask the people that do know rather than a know-it-all. Any help would be appreciated.

Jake W2
02-14-2005, 08:46 PM
It is oil, but Gear oil make sure your bowl bearing seal is good first.
Jake

Heatseeker
02-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Don't you hate it when a dipsh!t is right!
You need to fill it with 90 wt.

sdpm
02-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Take (1) of the plugs out and try to blow into the hole. If you can't fill it with gear lube/gear oil/oil/ or just something slippery! They are not that pickey! If you can blow through then first open up the hand hole(inspection cover) and try to move the shaft up and down. If it feels tight install a zerk fitting and fill the bowl (bushing area) with grease. If the shaft moves up and down you might want to have it looked at. Good luck.

tornreality
02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
What happens if it runs dry? Will it burn something up? :hammer2:

sdpm
02-14-2005, 10:06 PM
It will kill the bowl bushings and could also damage the shaft area where the bushings ride. Also once those are hurt the shaft does not run true in turn killing the thrust brg in turn killing the engine due to the crankshaft trying to go out the front of the engine!! Not good!! :notam:

454-ways-to-go
02-15-2005, 06:29 AM
what if the bowl is water cooled(no grease. no oil).I had a shop mod.the bearing to where it gets water cooled.

460 jus getn it
02-15-2005, 07:24 AM
i also have my bowl water cooled.no greese no oil just plug the holes and go. i had mine done by phil at berdergon marine here in mesa

Devilman
02-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Lemme chime in here... When I bought my boat, the guy gave me these instructions regarding those bowl plugs: Take 'em both out, squirt 90 wt. in the leftside hole till oil came out the rightside hole. He did that every time he took the boat out for the day along with greasing the u-joints on the drive, and greasing that fitting on the front of the pump. I've been following that routine before I take it out also. Is that overkill, or is that correct procedure?

sdpm
02-15-2005, 07:53 AM
The older dominator bowls were like that. Water is not a very good lubricant! Also if you run where the water is not very clean ie; Colorado River alot of sand and silt , it kill the brgs. and shafts. Also you can't run them on the trailer with a hose. They need a solid source of water to center the shaft. They are called an "aqua bearing".

sdpm
02-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Lemme chime in here... When I bought my boat, the guy gave me these instructions regarding those bowl plugs: Take 'em both out, squirt 90 wt. in the leftside hole till oil came out the rightside hole. He did that every time he took the boat out for the day along with greasing the u-joints on the drive, and greasing that fitting on the front of the pump. I've been following that routine before I take it out also. Is that overkill, or is that correct procedure?
Hi Devil, you can't go wrong doing that! That means that the guy that you bought your boat from took great care of his pump. I like hearing these things when someone brings me their boat they just bought. When you go to fill it, if it is full then great1 If it is milky that is still fine(just squeeze in some fresh until it cleans up). If it is empty, make sure it will hold a little pressure and if it won't install a zerk and fill it with grease and grease it often.

jim@pj
02-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Berkeley and Legend jet drive are the only jets left that maintain the oil bath for the tail bearings. The bowl bearings are teflon coated DU bushings and will work fine in water. The oil, or grease as in other jets, is for running on the trailer. Also the oil bath will displace the water for areas where the water can freeze. Grease or oil coupled with a good seal will keep out the sand and grit than will damage the bearings. As already stated, just pull both plugs and sqirt 90 wt into one side until it comes out the other. If your seal is leaking you will see the oil pooling in the bowl as you look in from the rear. Jim

Devilman
02-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi Devil, you can't go wrong doing that! That means that the guy that you bought your boat from took great care of his pump. I like hearing these things when someone brings me their boat they just bought. When you go to fill it, if it is full then great1 If it is milky that is still fine(just squeeze in some fresh until it cleans up). If it is empty, make sure it will hold a little pressure and if it won't install a zerk and fill it with grease and grease it often.
Thanks! Finally something this guy did right. I've found so much halfass, patchjob situations with this thing already, could drive a man to drinking! Uh oh!! Wait a minute... Too late! Yeah, so far when I'm getting ready to go, I'll hit it with a little 90 wt. but it never takes much time and its already coming out the other side and is always clean. Maybe he spent so much time taking care of the pump, the rest of the boat got all screwed up in the process :rollside: :rollside:

AZKC
02-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Berkeley and Legend jet drive are the only jets left that maintain the oil bath for the tail bearings. The bowl bearings are teflon coated DU bushings and will work fine in water. The oil, or grease as in other jets, is for running on the trailer. Also the oil bath will displace the water for areas where the water can freeze. Grease or oil coupled with a good seal will keep out the sand and grit than will damage the bearings. As already stated, just pull both plugs and sqirt 90 wt into one side until it comes out the other. If your seal is leaking you will see the oil pooling in the bowl as you look in from the rear. Jim
Hey Jim nice to see ya back on the boards. My pump is holding up fine :D I just can't get my valves and pistons to play nice :hammer2:

1978 Rogers
02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
i also have my bowl water cooled.no greese no oil just plug the holes and go. i had mine done by phil at berdergon marine here in mesa
I had Jerry at Skagen Marine in Auburn Washington tell me the same thing last spring. My seal went bad and wasn't holding oil. No damage was done to the shaft or bushings. No metal rubbing sounds or wear to shaft or bearing. I still replaced the seal. If it wasn't needed, then why the hell would it be there, was my thought. Now I don't leave an oil slick at the boat ramp. :cool:

jim@pj
02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Hey Jim nice to see ya back on the boards. My pump is holding up fine :D I just can't get my valves and pistons to play nice :hammer2:
Kevin, Sorry to hear about your valves and pistons, they don't play well . If you need any help give me a call. Jim

Fogged Gullwing
02-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Big A performance marine will machine the bowl for roller bearings if you want.
I just use the gear oil. You can tell if your bowl seal is bad if you get water in the oil or you have to add oil all the time.
Later BK