PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley 12-JFA parts needed, spectacular test story!

jumbofordman
07-20-2001, 09:56 PM
We were out testing our newest boat today, a 1979 19' Baja with a Berkeley 12-JFA Jet powered by a 454.
We were going about 50 through some turns, and in the middle of one we hit a log submerged a couple of inches. This eliminated the steering controls when the trim ring broke. Before the captain could pull the throttle back, we were climbing the bank of the creek, and managed to high center on a inlet sandbar 5' high where a smaller creek joins the one we were barreling down. Just barely missed a small tree in the middle of the bar (It was formed in a big flood, and is becoming a part of the shoreline now.) A crowd of 10 people got to witness this event, shame no one had a camera, we would have made money for sure.) A friendly outboarder (with a mighty 18HP) pulled us free with a few mighty shoves suppled by us. We then towed the boat back to survey the damage (it still started, but no steering!)
Hull is fine with hardly a scratch. We broke the trim ring for the Jet Drive in half. This is Berkeley part #L-4962 (#14 on a 12-JF Parts Diagram.) Anyone know where to get parts for this sucker? We are anxious to create more havoc on the river.
George

Teshio
07-22-2001, 03:26 AM
Go to www.teshio.com/JetBoat/index.html (http://www.teshio.com/JetBoat/index.html)
Click on the Hi-Performance Inc. Parts banner. (Contact info there)
Rick may be able to help you. Please tell him Teshio sent you.
Good luck.

Blown509Liberator
07-23-2001, 07:48 AM
jumbofordman
Hate to say this but Good F'ing luck!!!! I think you will have 3 chooses here. 1 scrap the F trim assy. and go by a Place unit (for a "C" bowl). I have a Baja TC with a F pump. I put a Place on it moved the cable to where it come out from to above water line and use my old F Control unit on there and it works fine. 2 Buy a Place "F" unit, I think is a bit more money but a direct bolt on. And 3 go by a two piece bowl and a diverter from Place, Aggressor, or AMT. Good Luck. I also Think Berkeley has a new unit, not sure though.
[This message has been edited by Blown509Liberator (edited July 23, 2001).]

jumbofordman
07-23-2001, 08:27 AM
I think we found one, CP Performance claimed they had one in stock, only $400, plus another $50 for all the other necessary parts.
I thought about a bowl change, top put a different type nozzle on, but that is even more expensive!
George

kingb36
07-23-2001, 08:40 PM
jumbofordman,
Had a similar problem on mine(not from a log though!). Just curious, was the top of your tilt ring ground down? (right underneath where Berkley is cast in) I was told that this is done to get more up adjustment for a better rooster, but it weakens the ring, and thats why mine cracked.
bill

jumbofordman
07-23-2001, 10:49 PM
This was all in the first 10 minutes of having the boat on the water the first time, didn't really examine the trim ring, but will next time I see the boat (it's stored like 15 miles from my house.) The factory limiters were stopping the trim, so it probably wasn't filed down.
George