PDA

View Full Version : Droop snoot?

MizBubba
02-15-2005, 02:54 PM
We're thinking about putting a droop snoot on the big yellow boat... anybody got any words of encouragement, (or warnings) about what we can expect?:confused:
Besides a better roost than the pathetic one we have now ;) , I'm hopeful it will help with steering at slower speeds, and possibly give us a little more speed. :D
I don't suppose one of ya'll has one sitting in yer garage you want to sell, huh? :rolleyes:

JustMVG
02-15-2005, 03:37 PM
Ya know i do happen to have one sittin in the garage, do you already have a place divertor? PM me . MikeVG

sdpm
02-15-2005, 03:40 PM
It will help your holeshot and in most cases it will increase your top end speed! They create lift(less wetted surface) inturn picking up speed. It most likely will not help with slow speed steering. I have them "new" for $180.00 + freight if you can't find a good used one. If you do find a used one make sure the o-ring area is not wore out. That is why people sell them and install new ones. ;)

JustMVG
02-15-2005, 03:54 PM
if you don't already have one you should look into getting a ride plate too.

HammerDown
02-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Not all hulls respond positively to a droop...I would contact one of the pro's, (Jack, Duane, Don, Tom Papp) tell them your hull/engine/speed etc and listen to what (they) suggest.

bp
02-15-2005, 06:47 PM
you didn't happen to mention what kind of pump you have.. a droop may not be adaptable unless you have a specific type bowl.

MizBubba
02-15-2005, 07:28 PM
you didn't happen to mention what kind of pump you have.. a droop may not be adaptable unless you have a specific type bowl.
Berkeley pump... and my oh, so talented brother-in-law, Sleekcraft76, is converting us to a split-bowl when he gets through tricking out his ride!
:D

sdpm
02-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Not all hulls respond positively to a droop...I would contact one of the pro's, (Jack, Duane, Don, Tom Papp) tell them your hull/engine/speed etc and listen to what (they) suggest.
Are these the only people that know about pumps? What does it take to qualify as a "PRO"?

MarKist
02-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Are these the only people that know about pumps? What does it take to qualify as a "PRO"?
Yeah Hammer ,............. loosen up Bro! :mix:
Markist

HammerDown
02-15-2005, 09:36 PM
The reason I suggested the above names is due to the fact those mentioned work on hundred's of hulls...so yes (I) would think that qualifies them as knowing what works best for each hull/set-up....or not.
Or Bubba could go spend the money because some hack said so and have a ill handling boat.

MizBubba
02-16-2005, 05:54 AM
....Or Bubba could go spend the money because some hack said so and have a ill handling boat.
Well... hmmm. :notam:
Didn't mean to cause a stir :yuk: ...
A hack didn't advise us, Mike did... and I trust him. No need to get riled, guys :rolleyes:
I just wanted to get some feedback on what everyone else's experience was, and to see if someone had one laying around that we might pick up used. Hammer, I'm not familiar with the names you gave, and I don't know their screen names (Are they members of this forum?).

nitro557
02-16-2005, 06:03 AM
ive got a brand new one never been wet ill let go for 150

MarKist
02-16-2005, 06:37 AM
A hack didn't advise us, Mike did... and I trust him. No need to get riled, guys :rolleyes:
I just wanted to get some feedback on what everyone else's experience was, and to see if someone had one laying around that we might pick up used. Hammer, I'm not familiar with the names you gave, and I don't know their screen names (Are they members of this forum?).
yeah I know, ... :p so I thought that I would grab the stir stick awhile :D :D
Markist

MarKist
02-16-2005, 06:43 AM
And MizBubba, none of the names are members except for Duane and his Screen name is "Duane HTP",and that's where I get my stuff! Ask you Inlaw
he knows :rolleyes: :rolleyes: J/K
Markist

promod
02-16-2005, 06:46 AM
i had both with and without i would have rather have it than not but everyone i have put them on has helped alot but some have put them on there and made it worse, so looks like its up to ya like ya draws lol
hell the way mikes doing all this fabbing he could probably make one

sdpm
02-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the compliment Denis! I am in no way perfect or have ever claimed to be either! Yes I have built a "quite afew" boats and pumps in my 21 years of doing this. I know these guys Except for HTP and i have seen their work and have even used them. They are all fine people and do top quality work. I know that Hammer does not know me otherwise he would have not said this! I guess I will keep my comments to myself from here on out and unless you are "well known on these boards" I suggest to others to do the same unless you like being called "A HACK" Thanks Neil :cry:

MizBubba
02-16-2005, 09:40 AM
...hell the way mikes doing all this fabbing he could probably make one
Yeah... He can make a snoot, but not with the droop in it.
Our nozzle is so close to the water surface, we need that extra dip to grab hold! :cool:

HammerDown
02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the compliment Denis! I am in no way perfect or have ever claimed to be either! Yes I have built a "quite afew" boats and pumps in my 21 years of doing this. I know these guys Except for HTP and i have seen their work and have even used them. They are all fine people and do top quality work. I know that Hammer does not know me otherwise he would have not said this! I guess I will keep my comments to myself from here on out and unless you are "well known on these boards" I suggest to others to do the same unless you like being called "A HACK" Thanks Neil :cry:
To clarify...and sometimes ya have to.
Sir your exactly right...I have no idea who you are or what your qualifications are, my reply was in no shape or form directed at you. Nor was I calling you a hack as I did not mention your name or quote you in my reply. As (you) I only offerd a reply to Mrs Bubba's question. I also mentiond something about a "Ill handeling boat"...as (she) was looking for a possable "warning".
However, Jack from MPD, Duane from Hi-Performance, Don from Don's Pumps and Tom Papp from Papp Racing I am aware of and feel they defiantly have the expertise to know if infact Bubba's (someone I meet this past season and feel he's a pretty cool fella ) boat could not only benefit from a Droop but ALSO be a (safe addition) to his boat.
I will say this, and it has no reflection to ANY names on this thread... when I got into this "jet boat" stuff EVERYBODY had something to sell that would make my boat faster and handle better (BS). I've come to learn it takes a little research to weed those people out that wanna make a guick buck trying to sell ya something.
My suggestion still stands that Bubba or anyone looking to put a droop or related item that could possably alter the handeling of a performance boat should ask's the recommendation of a expert/pro in this field.
*Not to mention it very well could be a total waste of $$$$.
Ending, Mrs Bubba you never mentioned in your first post who or if anybody suggested you try a droop.
If infact the "Mike" you mentioned in your 3'rd post is "SleekCraft" it can clearly be seen in my comments on this forum about his work, it offers nothing but respect for that gentleman, and he is far from a hack.
:cool:

HammerDown
02-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Well then that narrows it down to one of the other 3 people that posted above your "hack" comment????
Interpret it how you will...I gave enough clarification on post #19.

MizBubba
02-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Interpret it how you will...I gave enough clarification on post #19.
OK... I think the horse is dead.
Thanks for the info, everybody... I'll let you know how the story ends....

fat rat
02-16-2005, 01:59 PM
We're thinking about putting a droop snoot on the big yellow boat... anybody got any words of encouragement, (or warnings) about what we can expect?:confused:
Besides a better roost than the pathetic one we have now ;) , I'm hopeful it will help with steering at slower speeds, and possibly give us a little more speed. :D
I don't suppose one of ya'll has one sitting in yer garage you want to sell, huh? :rolleyes:
Miss Bubba you could give GS Marine a call, Greg is pretty knowledgable of various hulls and applications of hardware. Just offering another option. :cool:
If you don't mind me asking.............what are you looking to gain.

blondebomber
02-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Yea Hammer and GS marine are good buddies :D

fat rat
02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Just like..........2 pea's in a pod.........bark on a tree.......white on rice..........I'm talkin tighter than a jet boater's a$$$. :D

promod
02-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Just like..........2 pea's in a pod.........bark on a tree.......white on rice..........I'm talkin tighter than a jet boater's a$$$. :D
how bout hair in a dam biscuit, stink on shit lol

bp
02-16-2005, 08:31 PM
once you have the split bowl, as neil stated, a droop will provide more lift by lowering the thrust centerline of the boat. this will allow the boat to run more freely, and will most likely allow you to gain additional top speed. the steering will have to be extended, the shift cable will have to be long enough, etc.
in preparation, before it comes apart for the bowl mod, you should check the nozzle angle with respect to keel angle, and make a note of that. since most droops add between 7-9 degrees up angle to the nozzle, after installing you should check final nozzle angle to keel angle, and compare it with what you previously had. a few degrees higher is ok, but if, for example, you went from 4 degrees to 8 degrees up, that's way to much of a change and you will experience unanticipated handling problems. to alleviate this, you will need to have some shims, to shim the nozzle either down or up, so it is close to the original setting for initial testing.
in testing, you not only need to feel the boat, but watch the boat, see that the attitude looks good. if the boat is flat, wedge the nozzle up a degree or so at a time until attitude is good, and handling is where you want it.
i've known several people that benefited from a droop, helped quickness, gained a little speed into the mid 60's/low70s, without shoe/plate. if you're getting toward 80s, you may start finding handling and loading problems because the additional lift you've gained will get the boat much higher at those speeds, and the ride surface needs to be extended. loading issues begin to need attention at that point.
mike, it's just a droop. relax.

fat rat
02-17-2005, 04:53 AM
how bout hair in a dam biscuit, stink on shit lol
LMAO...............ya more like hair in a biscuit. :argue: :D

HammerDown
02-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Only (if) he ships the droop with a GS sticker...right Rat :D
PS Rat, hows your boy? :p

fat rat
02-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Only (if) he ships the droop with a GS sticker...right Rat :D
PS Rat, hows your boy? :p
No doubt.........I wouldn't have it no other way. :rollside: :p

737jetmech
02-17-2005, 01:53 PM
:hammerhea "I don't even have a opinion"...(Marvin ... Pulp Fiction ) :hammerhea

fat rat
02-17-2005, 02:09 PM
:hammerhea "I don't even have a opinion"...(Marvin ... Pulp Fiction ) :hammerhea
I bet if I gave you a warm Corona........you'd have an opinion. :eek:

737jetmech
02-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Well in that case I just may have some issues. :D But as far as Hammers feelings for GS ... I plead the 5th!
How ya been Rich?

nitro557
02-17-2005, 03:52 PM
hammer loves greg they go to the bars together,they both smoke philly blunts,and talk about which wax beads water better
HOWS YOUR BOY :shift:

HammerDown
02-17-2005, 03:58 PM
Brother Jetmech is watching his carb intake...better make that a Mick Ultra. ;)

HammerDown
02-17-2005, 04:00 PM
and talk about which wax beads water better
Oh great...now Rat's gonna want to know what wax we been trying out. :notam:

nitro557
02-17-2005, 04:05 PM
TRADE SECRETS BABY :cry:

nitro557
02-17-2005, 04:07 PM
oh ya hows your boy

HammerDown
02-17-2005, 04:22 PM
TRADE SECRETS BABY :cry:
sorry pal, your to close to Rat...if'in I told ya I have to get ya wacked (South Philly style) > death by cheese steak!
PS. you ain't right.

nitro557
02-17-2005, 04:36 PM
we all know frog wax is the shit

likwidsukr
02-17-2005, 06:05 PM
we all know frog wax is the shit
:messedup: :messedup: :messedup: :mix:

fat rat
02-17-2005, 06:49 PM
All I can say.................... this is some classic Sh*t.
Nitro......good to see you back, how's your boy doin? :D

MizBubba
02-23-2005, 07:44 AM
Ya know i do happen to have one sittin in the garage, do you already have a place divertor? PM me . MikeVG
Mike, Do you still have a spare droop? I sent you a PM... we're still trying to find one.
Thanks!

Lady Warhawk
02-24-2005, 07:03 PM
:messedup: :messedup: :messedup: :mix:
Won't that give your boat warts :yuk:

MizBubba
03-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Thanks to Neil (sdmp) at San Diego Perf Marine, our droop snoot is on the way!:D

Huffer
03-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Everything Helps!