PDA

View Full Version : Plasma TV's re-killed thread: What the honest dope on them?:

Flying Tiger
02-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Will they last?
I was stumbling trough COSTCO and they look awsum, the price is right.
Time to replace the (M) Itshcypussie 32 inch tube type.
The rumor is to expect the plasma sets to start dieing in about 2000 hours of useage.
Is this correct?

vegasriverjunkie
02-15-2005, 07:25 PM
I heard the newer versions will have a more life to em' plus should be dropping soon below the 2k mark. If you could afford it and want to save space get one. I prefer to just keep my 65" big screen there's no way I can downsize.

Perfect Mixer
02-15-2005, 08:05 PM
All show. Once you get over the wow factor and the fact that you can hang it on a wall, there's better looking TVs for less money.
It's been on my wall for 3 months now, and I still haven't gotten over the wow factor yet. Can't wait to get more HD programming. Cox is a little limited.

bilgewiper
02-15-2005, 08:26 PM
I bought a HD 42" plasma from Costco w/coupon was $1499 or $1599(can't remember). It some weird brand, Vizio. But, I am really happy with it. You can't beat Costco's warrentee...........Lifetime, bring it back to the store for replacement instead of having to ship to manufacturer. If they don't have this weird brand at that time they just credit to different manufacture.

Dawn Patrol
02-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Talk to Roz. He hooked up my Brother.

Woodster
02-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Talk to Roz for sure..He knows his shiat. If u like watching Hidef stuff, I would buy a DLP TV over a plasma.. We have the 56 " Samsung DLP and the picture is incedible. My father in law has a Panasonic Plasma and I swear our picture is better then his.Reg Cable on a plasma imo looks worse also then reg cable on a DLP. Do lots of research before u buy and talk to ROZ

Jordy
02-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I looked at the plasma and ended up with the LCD projection in a 60" model (HD to boot). Side by side I liked the picture better on the Sony I ended up with and don't have to worry about burn in, burn out, whatever. It's got a replaceable bulb. ;)
Oh, and Roz hooooooooked me up on this deal. ;)

plaster dave
02-15-2005, 11:06 PM
A waste of money buy an LCD much better all around. .02

ROZ
02-15-2005, 11:41 PM
All show. Once you get over the wow factor and the fact that you can hang it on a wall, there's better looking TVs for less money.That's exactly what flat panel displays are all about. Convenience and wow.. Most of the time the higher end unit's processing is better, giving a great picture..Things are changing rapidly though..
My 36 Sony xbr's picture tube will crush almost any other tv type in digitl cable or HD.. CRUSH :D downfall is that 36 is as large tbes get and they won't be making them for much longer.
I say almost because Sony's new Quailia 06 has one of the best pistures of new tv's available...
Because plasmas use the same lighting agent(plus xenon) as crt tv's, they are suppose to last 7-10 depending on viewing.Phospherous looses it's brightness resulting in color washing and lower brightness. A way to extend life is to reduce the picture temp. Most of them come out of the factory high temp, but most applications don't need the setting. Lower it and it will last longer...

Uplink
02-16-2005, 02:08 AM
Just a tip for those who don't know already. To get the TRUE enjoyment of your HDTV can't do it with only the monitor. Be sure and hook up the right tuner (known as an ATSC tuner), and hook it up to a TV antenna on the roof. (just like the old days). Some ATSC(DTV)tuners are stand alone, and some are built into a satellite receiver. Only the over-the air broadcasters
are sending true HDTV. Cable and Satellite compresses the signal so you can't get the best quality from those guys. In LA just point your antenna to Mt. Wilson and watch TV. You won't belive how good the live events look. By the way, I think the projection units that are out nowadays are the way to go, just like watching a movie. :wink:
Mark

bilgewiper
02-16-2005, 05:59 AM
Are you sure it's HD? Most of those 42" plasmas that are around or under $2K are EDTVs, not HD.
The HD version was $500 over the ED, went with the HD because of the $400 of coupon I had. Wish there had been someone like ROZ around when I was shoping. The 5 TV stores I went to only had idiots working at them.

RP1
02-16-2005, 06:12 AM
I bought a Plama last year and have been very pleased. I did buy it for the ability to hang it over the fireplace. I would stay away from some of the new off-brands that are out... you get what you pay for.
I would look Roz up for any questions on what direction you should be going for your need... he's the man in the know.

shueman
02-16-2005, 06:15 AM
DLP is alot of picture for the money....viewing distance is very important as well. The "rule of thumb" is 4.5 times the screen diagonal...

Freak
02-16-2005, 06:16 AM
It's been on my wall for 3 months now, and I still haven't gotten over the wow factor yet. Can't wait to get more HD programming. Cox is a little limited.
Check into VOOM 35hd channels. WWW.Voom.com

Todd969
02-16-2005, 06:37 AM
Shooped the heck out of all major stores and ended up with the Grand Wega LCD 55", Awsome picture and Sony quality. Hard to beat.

GHTRIM
02-16-2005, 06:55 AM
Talk to Roz for sure..He knows his shiat. If u like watching Hidef stuff, I would buy a DLP TV over a plasma.. We have the 56 " Samsung DLP and the picture is incedible. My father in law has a Panasonic Plasma and I swear our picture is better then his.Reg Cable on a plasma imo looks worse also then reg cable on a DLP. Do lots of research before u buy and talk to ROZ
I agree with Wood, Wife and I have a DLP (43") in the bedroom and it is bitchin'. Once you hook up the high def your dialed in.. Can't tell a difference from Plasma. The main bulb in a Samsung DLP will last about 8,000 hours and you can replace it yourself. Sony's bulb in their DLP is good for about 6,000 hours. Oh, by the way the Samsung bulb cost aprox $300.00
Good luck. :D

Dave C
02-16-2005, 08:35 AM
I've been trying to figure this crap out too.
what does DLP stand for? (is it projection?)
I know there is plasma, projection and LCD. Can't figure out which one to get either!
thanks for all your $0.02.

Freak
02-16-2005, 08:54 AM
VOOM will be out of business within a year. They're hemorraging money.
My guess is bought out by someone but hopefully programming will stay.

It's all Good
02-16-2005, 10:01 AM
what does DLP stand for? (is it projection?)
Digital Light Projection. Thanks ROZ!
I also have the Sony 36" XBR, you can't beat that CRT. If I were to get a new large, >40", TV it would be the Samsung DLP.

ROZ
02-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Digital Linear Projection.
I also have the Sony 36" XBR, you can't beat that CRT. If I were to get a new large, >40", TV it would be the Samsung DLP.
I'd wait for Sony Qualia 06....
DLP is an acronym for Digital Light Projection. Click the
demo (http://www.dlp.com/?DCMP=TIHomeTracking&HQS=Other+OT+home_dlp) at the bottom rleft of the page to see how it works

It's all Good
02-16-2005, 02:50 PM
I'd wait for Sony Qualia 06....
DLP is an acronym for Digital Light Projection. Click the
demo (http://www.dlp.com/?DCMP=TIHomeTracking&HQS=Other+OT+home_dlp) at the bottom rleft of the page to see how it works
Thanks for the correction.
What technology does the Sony Qualia 06 use?

ROZ
02-16-2005, 02:55 PM
For those of you that live in SoCal and think you can't get HD, I live in Temecula and get EVERY digital station broadcast from LA over the air using a Channel Master 4248 antenna and a preamp.
True, but it's only the stations that are broadcast over the air. Free, but has programming limitations.
Also remember that not all programming is shot with HD cameras. A lot of NBC stations, as well as other, have resisted the change because it's expensive and not yet manditory. That programming is upconverted.
Also, most units worth loking at have hd tuners built in these days.....

Essex502
02-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Inside rumor has it that next year and maybe even later this year there will be DRAMATIC drops in price for the Plasma/DLP/LCD type flat screen/flat panel TVs. The Asian suppliers are overbuilding their manufacturing capabilities and there will be too many for the buyers that will pony-up the big dough forcing the price cutting and competition that'll drive the price down to about the same as an old style projection big screen. Then you'll have the "WOW" factor and decent prices.

EricU
02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the correction.
What technology does the Sony Qualia 06 use?
Check out the link below.
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001017
The first one out is a 70" display with smaller units to come later. The big thing about the Qualia is the resolution which will be 1920x1080.
When the 70" first hits the streets expect to pay about $14k, that's the price to be the big dog on the block.
Eric.

Bullship
02-16-2005, 03:16 PM
62 inch mitsu DLP for under 4000 is pretty nice

SHOTKALLIN
02-16-2005, 03:34 PM
I love my Mitsubishi 62" DLP! THANKS ROZ!!!

OC-PARTYCAT
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
damn it...this thread is pissing me off. I paid around 4k for my 65" mits projection two years ago now....I have to get a DLP. I dont want to construct my built ins around a obsolete box, only to redo em in a year.

ROZ
02-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Check out the link below.
http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001017
The first one out is a 70" display with smaller units to come later. The big thing about the Qualia is the resolution which will be 1920x1080.
When the 70" first hits the streets expect to pay about $14k, that's the price to be the big dog on the block.
Eric.
Basically they took LCOS a step further, oh, and made it work..... It looks better than imagined, or so I hear...;)
Rumor has it that 1 company bought all the 06's this year that Sony planned to make.... I don't know if the rumor is completely true or not or what company made the move :cool:

EricU
02-16-2005, 05:30 PM
Basically they took LCOS a step further, oh, and made it work..... It looks better than imagined, or so I hear...;)
Rumor has it that 1 company bought all the 06's this year that Sony planned to make.... I don't know if the rumor is completely true or not or what company made the move :cool:
It's that 3 gun putting out 1920x1080 resoulution that's the shit. A few years down the road when the high def DVDs get figured out and when the FCC stops screwing around with the satilite High Def broadcasts and all the locals can get High Def, it will be nice. The current crop of 60" and smaller DLPs and LCD projection TVs are a great bang for the buck. A little over four grand for a 60" Sony LCD XBR projection aint a bad deal.
I haven't heard anything about the current Sonys being already bought up, but it is usally better to wait for about 18 to 24 months after an initial launch for the prices to drop.
Eric.

ROZ
02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Do you have any idea what programming I get from LA? Here, let me help you out:
2-1 CBS (HD content)
4-1 NBC (HD content)
5-1 KTLA (HD content)
7-1 ABC (HD content)
9-1 KCAL
11-1 FOX (HD content)
13-1 UPN (A little HD)
Every weirdo station from 18 to 66, including PBS 28-1 (Some HD) and PBS 50-2 (HD all the time).
There's more HD on for free than I could possibly watch.
I never said you didn't get a bunch of HD stations, did I? No. I just said it's limited to what's broadcast over the air. I also said that what is broadcast in HD is not alwasy shot using HD cameras. I know that for a fact. What isn't shot in HD is upconverted and then broadcast...
True, but it's only the stations that are broadcast over the air. Free, but has programming limitations.
So reguardless if you get more HD programming than you can watch from the major networks( all listed I consider networks), is there HD programming available that you do not get via the free airwaves?

Bad2DBone
02-17-2005, 04:25 AM
Here is a pretty nice site for some more info. plasma TV guide (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/)
We bought a 42 inch JVC. It's only an ED but still works great for us. And the wife liked it best because the case is black instead of silver/grey and it looks great over the fireplace.
Now I heard that a DVD/movie will look the same on an ED as well as an HD as the films are shot in the same resolution. And that the difference is mostly seen in TV broadcasts. as the HD broadcast resolution will have to be reduced to be displayed on an ED plasma. Is this correct?

ROZ
02-17-2005, 11:22 AM
In a few years, RPTVs will be obsolete and DLP will take it's place at the low end of the price structure.
DLP and some LCD are RPTV... Just want to clarify that SB means CRT based rear projection tv's....
He's right, but not just in crt RPTV. Direct view tubes will be a thing of the past as well. Mitsubishi dropped them years ago and others are rumored to do the same here within the next 2 model years...
Everything will move down a rung and the latest, greatest technology will move into the top spot. The bottom end price of a big screen TV will never fall below the level it is currently at.
Very true... Heck, I have customers ask me why Pioneer Elite is so inexpensive now and think that the quality of the tv has gone down because the tv has dropped from a retail of 12k down to 8k(50"model).... Then I have to explain why :messedup: You'd think it would be just the opposite... Like why pay 30K or more for a Vidikron projector.... Even more :messedup: :notam: :D
Solution selling is where it's at. Most homeowners should throw the specification data out the window and just buy what fits the overall need of the family with the thought of being prepared fo the not too distant future :)
SB, what company do you work for?

ROZ
02-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for clarifying my point. RPTV=CRT based. I don't work in the industry, just an informed consumer and hobbyist. I used to do 12V sales and installation for a living, back in the day.
I wish more consumers were like you :D

ROZ
02-17-2005, 12:45 PM
I take it you're working in the industy? Where?
Tweeter Home Entertainment.... My division, otherwise known as Tweeter Direct, is b2b....