PDA

View Full Version : First time out in jet - what should I look for

dreamsicle
05-03-2002, 05:34 AM
Tomorrow will be my first time out in my jet boat. I have had other boats just not a jet. Does anyone have any helpful hints or things I should look for? Thanks

RP
05-03-2002, 05:44 AM
Just remember... No power = no control. I think the biggest thing that people forget when they first use a jet is the fact that you have no control unless you give it gas.
Have an awsome time!!

Licketty Split
05-03-2002, 06:01 AM
Water other than out side the boat http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

hoolign
05-03-2002, 06:17 AM
DON'T forget to open the cooling valves!!!!!
DO take your time getting used to it and then have a blast
welcome to jets
and keep an eye on your temp gauge while running you may have to adjust your water valve a bit either way(don't burn yourself)
[This message has been edited by hoolign (edited May 03, 2002).]

82SleekCraft
05-03-2002, 06:59 AM
Don't forget the boat keys. ;-)

hack job
05-03-2002, 07:06 AM
make sure you hand hole cover is on tite. lots of water could come through there. and check all of your hoses for leaks ( inculeding exhaust.) good luck and have a blast! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Tyson www.plumbersassracing.com (http://www.plumbersassracing.com)

Licketty Split
05-03-2002, 07:25 AM
Take your time on the ramp We've all been new at some point and if it means some one gets a little pissed well http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad44.gif
[This message has been edited by Licketty Split (edited May 03, 2002).]

Hallett19
05-03-2002, 07:30 AM
you idiots!! how could you forget to tell him about the plug!!! hasnt everyone made that mistake, I did, thank God with no adverse affects. Other than that make sure the distributor is in the front of the engine, and that it moves when it is on, and make sure it does not feel like a slipping clutch on a car, if it is basically stock, it should not turn any more than 5000k rpm's, if its pulling 6k rpm's and you feel like you are going 40 mph, problem. And make sure you have plenty of beer, and an oar.

Licketty Split
05-03-2002, 07:38 AM
Dont Forget To Check Your Brakes http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/image001.JPG

hoolign
05-03-2002, 07:42 AM
said he had other boats!should know about the plug!
if the dist is in the front,that would make it a v-drive... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

RiverDave
05-03-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by dreamsicle:
Tomorrow will be my first time out in my jet boat. I have had other boats just not a jet. Does anyone have any helpful hints or things I should look for? Thanks
You could look for Prop's passing you buy.. But it shouldn't be hard to spot.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif (Just joking guys don't get your place diverters all up in a bunch.)
RD

Bubbledeck2
05-03-2002, 07:53 AM
you close minded GM guys amaze me .. my BBF distributor is in front .. where it should be! hehe
watch out for shallow water (even in "neutral" a jet pump is moving water), tow ropes, and floating debris. If you all of a sudden lose speed but not RPM check for plastic bags, pine needles, etc in the pump.

Cas
05-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by dreamsicle:
As someone said in a previous post, don't forget you need to give it gas to turn. The problem I had for the first few minutes was I was too excited to figure out to how to go slow in the 5 mph zone http://free.***boat.net/ubb/confused.gif , just pull the forward/reverse into a more nuetral position.

mach1 454
05-03-2002, 08:56 AM
when taking off put your place diverter down
so the bow wont raise to high and as soon as you gain speed trim it up until the rooster bairly comes out of the water for the most speed possible.
mach1 454

sandblasted
05-03-2002, 01:46 PM
If you come up to a dock and throw it in reverse make sure you give it throttle...If not you'll still be going forward...1st time I did it I was like ok it's in reverse so how come I ain't stopping!!
You can control it pretty good if you use the forward/reverse bucket and the throttle together, takes practice...Thats probably why almost every jet boat has at least 1 ding in the trim!!

GM Killer
05-03-2002, 02:11 PM
What to look for?
Depends on where you are running it. If you are in the Parker area, look out for a flat with white paint and a blue side stripe, or worse yet, for a gold 19' Hallett with SEXCLAMATION on the back of it.
You run south of Parker look for a white CP hull, period.

Bense468
05-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Yeah look out because he is running a Ford and when he pitches a rod it might hit you. Or spit oil all over your boat.
Just kidding GMkiller.

dreamsicle
05-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have learned a lot from this forum, and I greatly appreciate it. Oh, and by the way GMKiller, I like your choice of boats. I also have a 19' Hallett. It is the orange and white one just added to reader's rides. Your choice of engines, well that is another story. Too bad we are on opposite coasts. I am only new to jets, not engine building. If the 468BBC won't get you the blue bottle will.......Just kidding you GMKiller. You have a great looking boat. You can make 'em all go fast. Just takes a little time and a lot of money. Thanks again to everyone.

squirt
05-03-2002, 06:55 PM
just a couple more things on the water issue. Crack open valve off your pump about 2 turns and adjust at idle at ramp for engine temp of about 180. to start with if your running headers have your dump valve wide open. If your boat has a basset tee valve while underway adjust your dump valve so your headers just mist at 1800 rpm. Then Mash it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wet Dream
05-03-2002, 07:18 PM
That boat will turn extremely sharp at 50mph. I know, I have one. Try it first at about 35, steady throttle, crank the wheel to lock and hammer on it (MAKE SURE EVERYONE HAS A TIGHT GRIP) she will spin around with full control of the boat. If you find yourself in a predicament where you are coming up on another boat, letting off the throttle won't help much, but you can pull the lever into reverse and mash the throttle as long as you don't have your roost way up, its like hitting the brakes. If your roost is up, you won't have much back pressure in the water. Use this carefully as your wake might send water over the transom. Remember, your not going to hurt anything by doing that, you aren't changing any gears, just diverting the thrust in a different direction. Have fun.

Wet Dream
05-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Also, taking on big waves are a thing of the past. Take your kidney belt if you see rough water.

Old Guy
05-03-2002, 07:38 PM
I don't know what type of boat you have, if it has a cover over the engine, I would remove it and run some simple tests to see what happens. When the boat is just sitting in the water,not running, is it dry in the back, inside. Does it stay that way? When you start the engine, does it move? Are the mounts and stringers solid. Fuel leaks? Oil leaks? Water leaks? If all looks good, find open water, point boat towards lots of open space and open throttle all the way. There should be no vibration. Keep one eye on engine temp. and oil pres. If engine RPM goes higher than 5000, slow down and find out if that engine is made for more than 5000 RPM. If it's stock, it's not. Keep checking the engine compartment for oil, water, and/or fuel leaks. Plastic bags and weeds are not your friend. They can clog the intake. With the intake clogged, the boat don't go so good (might need a paddle). With the intake clogged, the engine gets no cooling water and overheats (might need new engine).
If for any reason it's running but not moving very good, be sure to watch the temp. and oil pres..
If you think anything is blocking the intake, shut the engine off. Do not rev it up. If you're lucky, the obstructing stuff will fall away. If you're unlucky, you get to go under the boat and remove whatever.
I've been working on a jet boat that I bought for $500. A guy bought it, put it in the lake and ran it. I guess he had a good time 'til it sank. One of the exhaust hoses wasn't clamped properly. By the time he knew he had a problem, the boat was sinking. His brother had just purchased the boat at an auction, brought it home and left town for a few days.
I hope to have better luck.
old

82SleekCraft
05-04-2002, 07:01 AM
Make sure you check the oil level. DOH! Learned that the hard way. You will spin a bearing very quickly with little oil.

FOOLISH PLEASURE
05-04-2002, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dreamsicle:
Tomorrow will be my first time out in my jet boat. I have had other boats just not a jet. Does anyone have any helpful hints or things I should look for? Thanks[/QUO
lookout for jet skis..........

BigDaddy
05-04-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by FOOLISH PLEASURE:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dreamsicle:
Tomorrow will be my first time out in my jet boat. I have had other boats just not a jet. Does anyone have any helpful hints or things I should look for? Thanks[/QUO
lookout for jet skis..........
Well every one has told you what to do But you asked what to look for and I usually look for Crowded Beaches and Other Boats and of course the best thing is
http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/005/24/92/B5/A8/SOEsF7ucdWZl8c2j0Ua0Pb2pNSfL7wSr0064.jpg
These will cause you to Have Rapid Heart Beats and become very Nervous along with Sweating and they can cause you to not want to stand up in your boat for awhile afterwards. and you might want to look out for this as well
http://pstr-m05.ygpweb.aol.com/data/004/01/09/89/B3/o2Hy9PddVbBu+kGG8yH75REiw20-S7cr0180.jpg
They usually have a Rope tied to them and call themselves Skiers or JetSkiers can cause you to Accelerate at Very Fast any way Have fun and one more thing dont forget to Unhook the rope tied to the front of the trailer People will think you are a Tard if they see this Happen.
BigDaDDy

Beavertim
05-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Here's another one to look out for. If you're out at the river and you start out from shallow water and your boat seems real slugish even though the RPM's are up where they should be; and then you suddenly hear a thud under the boat, stop and unhook the anchor line from the bow (not that I have ever done that or anything). Tim
P.S. I also used to have a 19 ft 454 powered Hallett and it was a blast to drive. Enjoy it.

Wet Dream
05-05-2002, 05:20 AM
Well, give us the news. How did it go??? I'm going to give mine a test run today.

dreamsicle
05-05-2002, 07:50 AM
For the most part all went well. I expected some problems since this boat had been sitting for four years. A small drip of water is coming in through my steering cable. I also got a little water in the bilge after a couple of hard runs. Not a lot of water, but I could not see where it was coming from. I also could not keep any heat in the engine. The air temp was 50 and it started pouring rain after about an hour, so I had a limited amout of time to really check things out. All in all I am very happy.

nitro557
05-05-2002, 10:25 AM
hey i seen your profile you live in manasass im in woodbridge im gonna e-mail you my number lets get together and drink a few

Wet Dream
05-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Damn, we hit 72 today but the water was probably around 45. It went good. I also leak where my steering comes in, but nothing that bilge can't handle. Check out my new post...Hallett in action.