PDA

View Full Version : System suggestions

don johnson
02-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Need some input!
I am assessing the system in my 33 Daytona and need some insights.
My current system is comprised of the following and is now 3 years old;
2 PPI Power Class PC2400 driving 4 12" Kicker L7's
1 PPI Power Class PC4125 driving 3 sets of MB Quartz Reference seperates
3 1 farad capacitors
Kenwood head unit- Touch screen ( I do not know the model)
This system has a few issues;
1. With 4 batteries I can only run the system at high volumes for 45 minutes before the batteries have had it
2. I would think the system would be louder then it is all things considered
I am considering some upgrades. What would you all suggest considering what I have?

Havasu Hangin'
02-16-2005, 07:38 AM
I believe those PPI amps you have driving the subs are 1600 watt (2 channel) class a/b? If so, they will suck ALOT of amps (PPIs are current-hungry to begin with). I'd look into class d's, but that's my opinion.
I'm not a big fan of the L7's...but that's more personal preference (they sound "muddy" to me).
Just by the specs, I'd say your system is bass-heavy, so I'd look at adding at least one more pair of components- that amp can handle a 2 ohm (4 channel) load...just keep it cool. You'll instantly add 25% more power (and a few more dbs).
Also, if your batteries are down on volts, you will notice less volume at the speakers..
volts x amps = watts

riverbound
02-16-2005, 08:10 AM
On top of what HH said I would recommmend looking at doing the generator set up that a lot of peopl are running. It will be more money to begin with but in the long run it will cost you less. especially after replacing batteries after a season or two.

ROZ
02-16-2005, 02:20 PM
What they said plus make sure you keep that LCD touch screen headunit out of direct sunlight. Sunlight is notorious for burning in sunspots onto LCD panels...