PDA

View Full Version : Laser eye surgery

charlyox
02-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Anybody had it done?

Budget Baller
02-16-2005, 07:33 AM
I had it done. What do you need to know?

racecar.hotshoe
02-16-2005, 07:34 AM
JBB had it done.http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar1312_1.gif

Artv
02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
I had it done five years ago. I have no regrets getting the surgery done. Its worth the money.

dicudmore
02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
I had it done five years ago. I have no regrets getting the surgery done. Its worth the money.
what he said....about 5 years ago for me as well. VERY HAPPY

Quality Time
02-16-2005, 07:43 AM
4 years ago here. Get em done!

Bullship
02-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Had it done 3 years ago so did wife no regrets,no problems.Excellent doctor in Corona. Tri County Eye Instititute. Dr. Mark Scnieder.

Dribble
02-16-2005, 07:51 AM
I had it done days after the FDA approved it in the US (about ten years ago). My vision is still 20/20. Before that it was 20/300 and 20/400. I couldn't read a license plate from ten feet away. I would have done again in a heartbeat.
No more prescription sunglasses at the bottom of the Sacramento River. No more glasses under my moto goggles. Best money I ever spent.

charlyox
02-16-2005, 08:21 AM
I just had it done last Friday.I was wondering if everyone had positive things to say about it.

Phat Matt
02-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Zero complaints here! Best thing I ever did.

Dave C
02-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Oh ya, before it I couldn't see a license plate from 2 feet away! ;)
I recommend it too. Research the doctor. Go to a good doctor that has 15,000+ procedures under his belt using the latest equipment.
Dave
Before that it was 20/300 and 20/400. I couldn't read a license plate from ten feet away. I would have done again in a heartbeat.

jackpunx
02-16-2005, 08:40 AM
the only thing I regret is that I didnt do it sooner :boxed:

Tremor Therapy
02-16-2005, 08:40 AM
After wearing glasses for 35 years, being able to do EVERYTHING without them is absolutely bitchen! It's only been 4 months for me, and I haven't regretted it one bit! :D

Jbb
02-16-2005, 08:43 AM
JBB had it done.http://www2.***boat.com/forums/customavatars/avatar1312_1.gif
Yeah...I had it done ..with no regrets....well...I do regret that my surgery was done the same week that the surgeon decided to stop sniffing glue.... :)

boatnam2
02-16-2005, 08:46 AM
a little late to be asking now isnt it!lol what if everyone said its the most fuccked up thing you can ever do!

Waldo
02-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Wife had it done four years ago and she is still able to see! She loves it.

JB in so cal
02-16-2005, 08:57 AM
What about the "starry" vision at night? Anyone?
And no. I don't mean you can see RD!

boatnam2
02-16-2005, 09:13 AM
i bought it i pick it up tomorrow. :yuk:

Jbb
02-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Yep....definately an improvement...In my opinion...
http://www.scifilm.org/images/cyclops3.gif

spectratoad
02-16-2005, 09:20 AM
I had it done days after the FDA approved it in the US (about ten years ago). My vision is still 20/20. Before that it was 20/300 and 20/400. I couldn't read a license plate from ten feet away. I would have done again in a heartbeat.
No more prescription sunglasses at the bottom of the Sacramento River. No more glasses under my moto goggles. Best money I ever spent.
Same here. In fact that is pretty much what I was going to write. Hey Dribble get out of my head, I hate it when people read my thoughts. :D

spectratoad
02-16-2005, 09:21 AM
Yes I have some of that at night. :cool: Mostly when I am tired or otherwise impaired does it really get annoying.

TrojanDan
02-16-2005, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=JB in so cal]What about the "starry" vision at night? Anyone?
QUOTE]
Yeah I have those "starbursts" big time. Sucks donkey balls. I'm trying to make time to go in for a second procedure. I wasn't the best candidate back in Dec '99 since I had big pupils (big pupils=likely starburst side affects) and a -9.25 dioper perscription but did it anyways since I was tired of wearing glasses since the 4th grade. I have great 20/20 vision in natural daylight but tend to drive by braile come night. :eek:

It's all Good
02-16-2005, 09:54 AM
I had it done 3 years ago. Zero complications, no starry vision and no night vision problems. Dr Tooma in Newport Beach. He has done many thousand of the surgeries. He has done the eyes of many Anaheim Angels and Ducks and professional golfers. www.drtooma.com

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
I had it done 3 years ago. Zero complications, no starry vision and no night vision problems. Dr Tooma in Newport Beach. He has done many thousand of the surgeries. He has done the eyes of many Anaheim Angels and Ducks and professional golfers. www.drtooma.com
I gotta get it done.......How much was it $$$ from Dr. Tooma ???
I know it's only my eyes, but I could buy a bunch of cool crap for my boat with that money !!!!
Really.......I'm tired of these contacts !!!!!!!
CJG
:messedup:

It's all Good
02-16-2005, 01:16 PM
I gotta get it done.......How much was it $$$ from Dr. Tooma ???
It was $3700. That was before the Custom LASIK came about. I have friend that is getting her eyes done in the next few weeks and was quoted ~$5900. She has an astigmatism which upped the price. I think the "custom" option adds about $500/eye.
You can get a free consultation and learn more about the process, and watch the procedure. Some people are not good candidates, and they will tell you so.
I went with Tooma based on his reputation as an eye surgeon. Apparently he has done some pretty amazing surgical procedures that others wouldn't touch. It was pretty cool getting up from the table and being able to see across the room without any glasses.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
02-16-2005, 01:25 PM
It was $3700. That was before the Custom LASIK came about. I have friend that is getting her eyes done in the next few weeks and was quoted ~$5900. She has an astigmatism which upped the price. I think the "custom" option adds about $500/eye.
You can get a free consultation and learn more about the process, and watch the procedure. Some people are not good candidates, adn they will tell you so.
I went with Tooma based on his reputation as an eye surgeon. Apparently he has done some pretty amazing surgical procedures that others wouldn't touch. It was pretty cool getting up from the table and being able to see across the room without any glasses.
Well......
Just got off the phone with Dr.Tooma's office...... :squiggle:
Set up another consultation for Wed the 23rd....... :D
I went to Dr,Tooma a couple years ago, but backed out..... :rolleyes:
So we'll see....no pun intended..... ;)
SO THANKS Charlyox for helping me spend $5K or so...... :boxingguy
Later,
CJG
:D

Phat Matt
02-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Well......
Just got off the phone with Dr.Tooma's office...... :squiggle:
Set up another consultation for Wed the 23rd....... :D
I went to Dr,Tooma a couple years ago, but backed out..... :rolleyes:
So we'll see....no pun intended..... ;)
SO THANKS Charlyox for helping me spend $5K or so...... :boxingguy
Later,
CJG
I went here a few years ago and have no problems day or night. Dr Fabricant was my doctor. I think it was $1875 and eye and I had an astigmatism in both eyes.
http://www.pacificeyelaser.com/default.htm

charlyox
02-16-2005, 02:47 PM
:sqeyes: Oh you are welcome.Anytime I can help you drop 5K just let me know.Mine was $2740.I have no regrets.I have mono vision and it is taking some getting used to No turning back now.I keep reaching to get my glasses before I go somewhere and then I remember "I don't need them" Good Luck.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
03-27-2005, 02:31 AM
:sqeyes: Oh you are welcome.Anytime I can help you drop 5K just let me know.Mine was $2740.I have no regrets.I have mono vision and it is taking some getting used to No turning back now.I keep reaching to get my glasses before I go somewhere and then I remember "I don't need them" Good Luck.
Well......
Thanks to this thread.....I'm $5,200.00 poorer...... :cry:
Set up to get it done on Friday May 6th by Dr.Tooma in Newport Beach.... :rollside:
Thanks again Charlyox !!!!!! :rolleyes:
Later,
CJG
:cool:

Kilrtoy
03-27-2005, 02:34 AM
Well......
Set up to get it done on Friday May 6th by Dr.Tooma in Newport Beach.... :rollside:
Later,
CJG
Wel maybe now you will be able to see, so you stop breaking those drives

racecar.hotshoe
03-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Wel maybe now you will be able to see, so you stop breaking those drives
Duh!....................... :D

nodigg
03-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Had mine done in 1983, well it was radial keratotomy back then, (knives), no regrets, still passing eye exams.......

Eliminator 4 Life
03-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Well......
Later,
CJG
Well I guess you wont be at the Eliminator Regatta I wanted to ride in your boat ha ha. Im gonna get it done to I just need to find a doc here in Nor Cal.

goneboatin
03-27-2005, 10:03 AM
What was the recovery time? Did they tell you not to do thngs like no riding the boat for 2 months?

charlyox
03-27-2005, 10:21 AM
UPDATE. Well it has been 6 weeks since my Lasik eye surgery and things are great.No more glasses.It cost me $ 80.00 to get regular lenses put in my Ray Bans .Life is great. Thanks for everyones input.

Eliminator 4 Life
03-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Yay while your getting your eyes done on May 6th I'll be celebratin my 21st birthday! I'll be thinking of your eyes while I'm out partyin! hehe
Hoepfully I can get mine done before I go to so I can see the T&A better ha ha

Boy Named Sue
03-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Well I guess you wont be at the Eliminator Regatta I wanted to ride in your boat ha ha. Im gonna get it done to I just need to find a doc here in Nor Cal.
E4L I live in Ttown2=Tracy. I'm going to a seminar in April at griffin & reed in Sac next mo. but still looking for other doctors in the area. Let me know here if you hear any good referrals and I'll do the same. Mine should be a lot cheaper as I only need one eye done.
~ Suey
Two eyes good
Four eyes bad

MsDrmr
03-27-2005, 07:07 PM
I have not had the surgery and I get that, I have heard it's the best thing so many have done, trying to save the $$ to have mine done.

I Feel the Need...
03-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I just had it done last Friday.I was wondering if everyone had positive things to say about it.
I had it done 8 years ago, I'm 54 and do not need reading glasses because my doctor talked me into mono vission, one eye was done for distance, one for close up. The only negative is "star bursts * * at night"

WYRD
03-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Last trip to Havi I lost my contacts in the water..............The ride back sucked cause I could not see a thing

Eliminator 4 Life
03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Last trip to Havi I lost my contacts in the water..............The ride back sucked cause I could not see a thing
WTF you blind ba$tard :D :hammer2:

WYRD
03-28-2005, 07:39 PM
WTF you blind ba$tard :D :hammer2:
Well it was either the contacts or it was the fat fawker sitting in the front :idea: :messedup:

Eliminator 4 Life
03-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Well it was either the contacts or it was the fat fawker sitting in the front :idea: :messedup:
Well I wasnt driving read what i said in notalents havasu pics ha ha

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Well....
This Friday at 09:00 is the day........
I actually paying someone to point a laser in my eyes.......
Thanks again Charlyox for starting the thread....
It actually made me get my butt in gear.......
Oh yea......If I go blind......I'm comin' for ya'.....
Later,
CJG

racecar.hotshoe
05-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Well....
I actually paying someone to point a laser in my eyes.......
Thanks again Charlyox for starting the thread....
It actually made me get my butt in gear.......
Oh yea......If I go blind......I'm comin' for ya'.....
Later,
CJG
Why you wont be able to see him............. :rollside: j/k It will be fine.Good luck.

dgie
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I had the PRK done back in 1996 by the Navy, when I was in the Marine Corps. They did my right eye first, then there was a waiting period before they would do the other. I really was not happy at all with the outcome in the right eye, so I told them I wanted to leave the other eye alone. My outcome was that during the daytime I can see just fine, but when you go inside or at night there is a difference, your vision noticeably drops off. Right after I had it done they approved Lasik and due to the recovery time being quicker because of the flap, there is less abrasion on the cornea. I wear contacts in both eyes now and have more or less gotten used to it. If you’re thinking about PRK, and yes they still do it. I would go with Lasik. I guess if I could go back I would not have done any of it at all. Sorry to rain on your parade, just my experiences with it.

charlyox
05-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Hey SNS. good luck.I have no regrets.I hope you have the same results.Please let me know how it turns out.

purrfecttremor
05-04-2005, 03:20 AM
good look sns my wife had hers done two years ago with no regrets.

Eliminator 4 Life
05-04-2005, 05:46 AM
Im going in May 24 I think is the date and Im getting the custom lasik also and its gonna be 4400.00

BoatPI
05-04-2005, 05:47 AM
You may want to talk with Saddleback Eye Center in the OC. Dr. Manger has done about 10,000 surgerys. He is 100% laser now, and did my eyes a few years back. He also accepts some forms of Blue Cross insurance as 100% payment.

Midwest_Miss69
05-04-2005, 06:10 AM
This girl at work had it done about 5 years ago. Now she can't drive at night on roads that aren't lit and the other day she walked by my desk and her glasses were on and I mentioned it and she said she might have to have the surgery done again.

It's all Good
05-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Well....
Are you going to Tooma? If so, you are in good hands.

gmocnik
05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
many factors associated with lasik outcomes. for the vast majority of patients the outcomes are positive and the complication/adverse event rates are low. age, lifestyle, and expectations all must be considered along with the refractive change desired (how much correction and any astigmatism issues). conventional microkeratome vs. intralase or epilasik, custom ablation software vs. conventional...all factors that i suggest are not for the layperson to attempt to understand...the most important consideration is the skill and experience of the surgeon along with the staff that is supporting him/her...the surgeon is very unlikely to be doing the refractive workup or doing any of the preop evaluations. it is the O.D. or the ophthalmic tech that does this work and no matter how good the surgeon is, having poor preop work done will make for a poor outcome.
if anyone would like a more detailed discussion and some informed (20 years of experience in ophthalmology) advice, including local surgeon recommendations, regarding lasik or any other surgical procedure...drop me a pm...
you only have one set of eyes...learn all you can before making a permanent change to the physiology of your corneas....
gary

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Well......
Only 12 hours to go.....not that I'm counting.....or scared....
Cause' I'm not you know.....scared that is !!!!......or worried....
Certainly not worried......OR scared.......
Yep!!!.....NOT Worried a bit......
CJG
:rolleyes:

Phat Matt
05-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Well......
CJG
Just think about the valium they give you while you are there. :D

Dawn Patrol
05-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Well......
CJG
Good Luck!
But then again, you aren't worried or scared. :sqeyes:
Let us know how it goes, I'm going in to see Dr.Tooma in a couple of weeks to see if he can fix my cataract.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-05-2005, 08:59 PM
11 hours & counting...... :rolleyes:
Not that I'm REALLY counting....... :mix:
11....11....11....11.....11.....11......11.....11. ....11.....11..... :notam:

charlyox
05-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Hang in there. You'll be fine

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-05-2005, 10:12 PM
10....... :rolleyes:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-05-2005, 11:35 PM
8.5...... :(

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-06-2005, 06:04 AM
2..... :cry:

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-06-2005, 06:52 AM
OK....I'm on the way......Still NOT worried !!!!!!
:frown:

That Guy
05-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Lift Off.....You will be fine....Good Luck! :D

Phat Matt
05-06-2005, 07:59 AM
Now you are going to have to get better looking friends cuz you'll be able to see them. ;) j/k

charlyox
05-06-2005, 08:36 AM
the actual surgery took less than 10 minutes.

charlyox
05-06-2005, 08:36 AM
can you see me now?

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-06-2005, 03:02 PM
WOW..... :D
Thats all I can say.......
In at 8:45 and out at 10:45.........
I can see through the holes in the protective cups and ...WOW...... :jawdrop:
I can look out acrss my back yard and see forever....... :rollside:
What a beautiful day...... :cool:
This is amazing.......
I just woke up cause my wife called........
Whatever they gave me knocked me out !!!
Guess what......she picked my 4 year old daughter up from school....
And it looks like she had PINK EYE......GREAT !!!!!! :notam:
Man.....The more I look around right now...............
THIS IS F'ing AMAZING !!!!!!!!!
CJG

Phat Matt
05-06-2005, 03:25 PM
This is amazing.......
CJG
I told you so. :cool: Just wait, it will get even better. :D Congrats...it's a good feeling to be able to see clearly.

hurleyr
05-06-2005, 06:06 PM
This is amazing.......
CJG
I did it last January. Worked out great. Roughly 5 months later my vision is better than ever (20/15). The only (temporary) drawback for me was using the eye drops so often. I guess the more you use them the better your eyes will heal, so I used them just about every hour on the hour.
My eyes are feeing so nice now that I could go w/o the drops however they told me to continue using them for a solid year. Other than that its a good feeling!!! :D :D
Hang in there. Your eyes will feel better in 1 month, even better in 2 months. After six months you won't even remember you had the surgery.
NO MORE CONTACT LENSES BLOWING OUT AT HIGH SPEED!!! YIPPI!!!!

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Yep....
No more contact issues while boating....... :)
Thats the main reason I had the surgery......
Well.....I've been sleeping all day.....Now goin' to bed !!!! :notam:
These drugs are great!!!!
Nite all......Goin' back to the Doc for a check up tomorrow....
Later,
CJG

Big Bear
05-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Right on Chris!! I had mine a year ago. Boy I dont miss glasses. The Valiun high was great. Seeing as how I am a big guy, I talked them into giving me twice the dose they normally would! :D It is an adjustment having to wear reading glasses, but I can write that off to getting old! :supp:
Enjoy Buddy!!! :D
Robey

SHAKEN Not Stirred
05-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Well.....
Just got home from my follow-up appointment.... :p
20/15.....Amazing...... :)
I am still stunned !!!!!!! :rollside:
AMAZING! :jawdrop:
Taking the kids down to the pier for an ice cream..... :)
Too great of a day to stay inside !!!!! :wink:
Later,
CJG

charlyox
05-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Hey SNS,I'm glad all went well. I had to go to like 5 follow ups and I still have another one to go to. Congrats it only gets better,