PDA

View Full Version : Impeller Cavitation Burns

Wild Bill
02-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Are the SS and mag b impellers equally resistant to cavitation burns? Or is the SS more resistant?

LVjetboy
02-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I suppose that depends on material strength as well as resistance to work hardening. Cavitation wear is caused by mechanical damage. SS is known for enduring cavitation well and I wouldn't be surprised if man-bronze resists damage well too...
But the real question is why care? If your impeller's operating in a cavitation condition long enough to damage the blades then maybe you should load it harder and eliminate the cavitation. That'll improve performance too.
jer

berk
02-17-2005, 07:44 PM
funny advise coming from someone with an airborne boat in his avatar! is that what you call proper loading?

Danhercules
02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
He has a intake snorkle on there. Ya know, like what you see on real Hummers. :D

DEL51
02-17-2005, 08:38 PM
L.V. is correct. If you are serious about it call an expert, of which I am not, however I will offer my opinion. Stainless is best followed by bronze as a comparison to aluminum.

TIMINATOR
02-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Its not just "load", which is just another term for intake pressure. Its the QUALITY of the water as it enters the impeller. Increase the quality and you can decrease the pressure,(and the attendant drag). Thats just my opinion, and I might be wrong. Depends on whom you ask. TIMINATOR

DEL51
02-17-2005, 08:54 PM
I concur quality of flow is more important,

Fogged Gullwing
02-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Where can you buy quality I need some!!!! Every hull reacts different so give me a break. Some boats like big chop some like less!!!! It is all setup so beleive what you want these super experts should be on the weather channel! Where it is never right!! Especialy IN Ca.!!!! I've had a ten MPH difference in conditions. So Ali Christner Should I expect a good Karma Day and Reach 140!!!!
later BK

steelcomp
02-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Where can you buy quality I need some!!!! Every hull reacts different so give me a break. Some boats like big chop some like less!!!! It is all setup so beleive what you want these super experts should be on the weather channel! Where it is never right!! Especialy IN Ca.!!!! I've had a ten MPH difference in conditions. So Ali Christner Should I expect a good Karma Day and Reach 140!!!!
later BK
Oh God...he's doin it again!! :lightsabe :boxingguy :messedup:

LVjetboy
02-18-2005, 01:00 AM
"Where can you buy quality I need some!!!! Every hull reacts different so give me a break. Some boats like big chop some like less!!!! It is all setup so beleive what you want these super experts should be on the weather channel! Where it is never right!! Especialy IN Ca.!!!! I've had a ten MPH difference in conditions. So Ali Christner Should I expect a good Karma Day and Reach 140!!!!"
Um... :confused: From your super expert knowledge, did you have something worthwhile to post for Wild Bill about impeller cavitation? Between all the !!!!'s and talk of the CA weather channel, I missed it.
"funny advise coming from someone with an airborne boat in his avatar! is that what you call proper loading?"
Funny? Glad to humor you berk. So maybe you disagree with my advise? If so feel free to enlighten us. Have you compared transient cavitation damage vs. steady-state damage and the cycles needed to fracture metal? Just curious. No, that's not proper loading in my avatar and yes, my jet sucks air at times. Cavitation damage to my impeller? Nada.
Before you jump to the conclusion that's because I run SS instead of Man-Bronze or AL, consider my comment on the cycles.
jer

steelcomp
02-18-2005, 06:38 AM
If you think Jer's blowin' smoke AFA proper loading, I can tell you that my aluminum impeller, after three seasons and 6200 rpm 95+ mph runs, there's not a mark on it. Now there may be other problems with my set up, but the pump is properly loaded. And I'm not comparing aluminum to the others afa strength, just trying to show that you really shouldn't have much, if anything in the way of cavitation wear on your impeller if it's loaded right. :coffeycup

pops1
02-18-2005, 09:07 AM
If you think Jer's blowin' smoke AFA proper loading, I can tell you that my aluminum impeller, after three seasons and 6200 rpm 95+ mph runs, there's not a mark on it. Now there may be other problems with my set up, but the pump is properly loaded. And I'm not comparing aluminum to the others afa strength, just trying to show that you really shouldn't have much, if anything in the way of cavitation wear on your impeller if it's loaded right. :coffeycupGood Load and no Air Out!

steelcomp
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Good Load and no Air Out!
Well, every once in a while...but not very often. :D